Fugly Challenge

Posted by Mike Parisi 
Common, but still cool!

Giant Leader-1 from Korea. It's a boot of the small Leader-1, not the Super Gobot.

Love the fake Silverhawks art:

God-awful tray for the toy:

Weapons consist of a fake Dinobot(?) sword and two slightly oversized Gazette Ovelon weapons. Also included: two ugly guys in armor and a weird Acrobunch:

Oversized Leader-1 in jet mode - note the eagle eyes on the nosecone:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2011 09:03AM by thomas.
Attachments:
open | download - leaderone1.jpg (126.5 KB)
open | download - leaderone2.jpg (115.7 KB)
open | download - leaderone3.jpg (146.5 KB)
open | download - leaderone4.jpg (101.6 KB)
The glorious robot mode:

It's about 3 times the size of the original.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2011 09:05AM by thomas.
Attachments:
open | download - leaderone5.jpg (77.8 KB)
Found this on 2chan:

--------------------------
I want YOU for Moé Sucks Army

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2011 10:40PM by Scopedog.
Attachments:
open | download - 1314883253858.jpg (173.1 KB)
open | download - 1314887487054.jpg (130.4 KB)
My wife saw the picture of the Ideon toy and started screaming "IT'S CARROT MAN!!!"
microeric Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My wife saw the picture of the Ideon toy and
> started screaming "IT'S CARROT MAN!!!"

Shitty Orange Blister-Sealed-Or-Stapled "Transforming" (Such As It Is) Korejanai Ideon With Green Or Blue Feet is not amused.

That Korean Leader-1 reminds me that there is an oversized Monsterous Puzzler Fiend (Devil Satan-6) out there somewhere...I've only seen a few of the parts, but the combined version would probably be 15-18 inches tall.
The 10" transforming batman/batmobile is pretty dope, and hard to find now. Anyone got it?

Ideon is just diserable
Cargantua: Matchbox Robo.

Yann Wrote:
> Ideon is just diserable

Miserable or desirable? Portmanteau? Anyway, Carrot Ideon is not amused.

Mike Parisi Wrote:
> Cargantua: Matchbox Robo.
>
>

Why is that in the fugly thread?! That's awesome!

It's funny...Cargantua is *just now* starting to look awesome, but for the past 25 years or so, it's been pretty damn fugly.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gotta admit...I kinda love that thing, too! Is that a carry-handle in the back? Shee-it.
Yup, for easy tot'n of you favorite dozen cars. That's right, it holds TWELVE cars!
Mike Parisi Wrote:
> Batbot & Batrus
>
>
>
>

Ah man, Batrus may be fugly, but the Spanish Madelman 2050 toy line he comes from is magnificent. [madelman2050.com] I have a few examples of the better mechs from the line in my collection and wouldn't mind getting more. They are all interchangeable with Micronauts-like (but just barely not compatible) pegs and sockets.

Edit: also, that Pegas is glorious. I never really dug Pegas until I saw that pic. He reminds me of the proportions on some of the Atlantic Galaxy figures (Hm, I should post some of those guys here).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2011 07:19PM by microbry.
Interesting. Reminds me a bit of the Exo-Squad stuff to. Great info, thx Microbry.
Cheap plastic b/o junk.

Sanjeev (Admin)
Mike Parisi Wrote:
> Interesting. Reminds me a bit of the Exo-Squad
> stuff to. Great info, thx Microbry.

Heh...for some reason, I was reminded of Mantech...something about the garish colors and space theme of the figures.
Mike, your bootlegs are fantastic! Do you own and display all of them? If so, can you give us a current group shot? (Do you ever worry about getting cancer from living in such close proximity to so much potentially carcinogenic material? I kid, I kid)

It's true, I do collect these things and own most of what I post. But no display as of yet. I really get a kick out of the hunt, because surprises turn up everywhere. J-Toys have become like hipster gold, and for a guy who grew up as a "weirdo" for collecting the OG stuff, it feels awkward being all cool and uppity all the sudden. I liked being a weirdo. So here I am again, being a weirdo. Whether or not this bootleg booty gains any legit collector credibility is still way up in the air. So much absolute crap, hardly worth saving for any reason. But my opinion is, if a boot or fugbot has redeeming qualities in some capacity, it's worth spending 10 bucks on. In the case of the above robot, make that fifty cents.

Some bootlegs, as we have recently seen, are indeed getting expensive. I just watched this end today and thought "a loose, broken, incomplete Korean ST Xabungle bootleg...sold for 100+ bucks? That's a lot more than the legit version would have brought."

[www.ebay.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2011 12:57PM by Mike Parisi.
It could be because it has the taekwon v head on it. I'm sure theres a whole collecting subculture that just goes for that stuff. There's so much of it. I wOuld kill for a DX plastic taekwon v, I've only ever seen it twice.

That reminds me, back when I first got into this one of the pieces I picked up was a Korean ko of diaclone Diabattles with a taekwon v head. I hated it because it was plastic so I sold it. Now that I have an original one, I wish I still had the ko.

Please keep posting this stuff, Mike. This thread is about the only place I get to see cool vintage shit I've never seen before.
machinesoldier Wrote:
> It could be because it has the taekwon v head on
> it. I'm sure theres a whole collecting subculture
> that just goes for that stuff. There's so much of
> it. I wOuld kill for a DX plastic taekwon v, I've
> only ever seen it twice.

This guy?

Here's the sidekick robot that comes in the same box:

Both of those are ridiculously cool

Grid Striker by MicroBry, on Flickr

Made by the same Hong Kong company that made that weird 4-legged Votoms bootleg (ECHO). It uses Microman/Micronauts Surveyor 3/Star Defender bits. The packaging is particularly worth seeing for its mashup use of altered 3 3/4" and MOTU figures: [actionfiguresca.proboards.com]

I think it actually doesn't look half bad with Micros in it, but the construction is really cheap quality to say the least. It's actually molded in a low grade white plastic, with the gold color thinly painted on. The front canopy hinge doesn't even fully connect to its hinge.

Sloggy close up by MicroBry, on Flickr

Sloggy the snail-man alien from the Atlantic "Galaxy Serie" line, (missing/broken arms sadly). When it comes to fugly, love is blind...

Oh, as for the Madelman 2050 stuff earlier, here's a link to the two mechs in my collection: [www.flickr.com] Really fun designs! :D
Trans Robo-- Micronaut Alphatron/Betatron/Gammatron knockoff (of all the Mego "original" designs to knock off...why not go for the fugliest!?):

Trans Robo box front by MicroBry, on Flickr

Trans Robo box back by MicroBry, on Flickr

Trans Robo...approved by Cosmo-Man! by MicroBry, on Flickr
Dude, you just solved a mystery for me! I've had the front claws from Grid Striker for years (got them in a parts lot) but never knew what they were~!
MattAlt (Admin)
Here's some more robutts that "does all these walky tricks and stunts!"

[blogs.yahoo.co.jp]

Love the Leopardon, but these Perfect Jiongu are my faves...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2011 07:52PM by MattAlt.
Attachments:
open | download - jiongu.jpg (84 KB)
Crazy stuff. Matt, that Mech-Ultraman has been on my want list for some time...not easy to located at this point. The Perfect Jiongu are new to me, damn, those are a spectacle of fugly. Love'm.

Bryan, did I sell you that trans-robo about 10ish years ago? Awesome posts. Have you seen this absurd Biotron variant?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2011 01:41PM by Mike Parisi.
Dragon Ball Z Pirafu Machine Complete Union Figure: I sure like it so it must be fugly.

[www.1999.co.jp]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2011 04:09PM by Mike Parisi.
Josh: That's great! I know if I had found those gold Star Defender claws on their own, I'd have wondered if they were from the two never-released Lords of Light vehicles that were planned to use them (including a Star Defender clone). Other than the color and cheaper quality, the only difference from the Microman/Micronauts version of the claws is they lack the spring inside them to clamp shut.

Matt: those Jiongs are more clownish than even the Micronaut 'trons, that is one thing for certain. :D

Mike: Nope, this was a relatively recent find from a very lucky random eBay search. Until now, I hadn't found any reports of anyone else owning one, but I figured if anyone had, it would be you :D. No idea if the seller had yours or not (probably not, they didn't seem to have any idea what it was beyond the Transformer-KO packaging). And yes, Space Frog has been on my radar ever since you first posted him here, and I've told lots of Microfans about it! :D I'm amazed at how much they retooled or referenced the Biotron/Robotman design without actually directly copying parts besides the claws.
Pink Solbrain

Not sure which Metal Hero this is, or if it is one at all...but he's HUGE! One of the tallest walking bots I've seen.

This pic isn't mine, I found it on the net (though I owned a couple of the component robots as a child). Even if this guy is already posted the thread can never have too much Mr. Hard Hat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2011 06:35PM by Scopedog.
Attachments:
open | download - 3897566949_44dd3c6de7_o.jpg (477.4 KB)
Granular Detail Hard Hat:

[www.flickr.com]
Hahaha, shakiraisabel's flickr is the same place I got the pic from! There can never be enough Mr. Hard Hat.

I actually have both the blue VF-1S Valkyrie head and the red Valkyrie head from Mr. Hard Hats but I don't have any of the other pieces of Mr. Hard Hat! I've always liked the look of it, though. Four Star had a way of making bootlegging fun.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Bootleg provocateur extraordinaire "Sucklord" is getting prime-time famous. In honor of that, I present some of his fugliest creations:

[microsexuals.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer