Those Non-Robot Diecasts...

Posted by pocketmego 
What is your opinion on Non-Robot Diecast Character Toys? I've noticed you just never see a lot of discussion here on say...Popy Goranger Diecast team members. Or you never see lengthy discussions on Kamen Rider or Ultraman Diecast figures.

I'm not as hip to Diecast stuff as many of you are, so I'm curious as to what some of that criteria is?

Thanks

-Ray
>I'm curious as to what some of that criteria is

You're curious as to what the criteria is for what...?

As for the opinon - I know some people aren't as into vehicles and bases as they are figural / robot toys, but personally, I dig them both.

(one of my favorites):

Robaato D Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >I'm curious as to what some of that criteria is
>
> You're curious as to what the criteria is for
> what...?
>
> As for the opinon - I know some people aren't as
> into vehicles and bases as they are figural /
> robot toys, but personally, I dig them both.
>
>

Criteria for Diecast stuff in general and basically if you do like non-robot diecasts, which make the best ones...etc.

By the way that is one funky little car. That was also a Shogun Warrirors vehicle right? Didn't it come from a live action series?
if its got metal in it, i like it.

die-cast ranger type toys, ultraman, momotaro, ikkyusan, oni, whatever, espcially if it says chogokin.
cae
I prefer the non-robot toys. Vehicle toys, tokusatsu characters, kaiju. They render as well in diecast as the robots, if not better.

---------------------------------
hassenpfeffer
Yup, there's also a Shogun "Action Vehicle" version. It's from the live action show Inazuman. My criteria is: If it looks "cool" I dig it!

Here are a just few of some of my favorite vehicles:

Takatoku Zaidabeck

Takatoku Beni-Shark:

Popy Varitank:

Popy Sky-jet:

cae
heh - have all of those but the Varitank!

hassenpfeffer
Been putting this together over at RJ because the Ultraman stuff does not get enough love. I'll just cut and paste the body into this message. As for the vehicles and such, I am a big fan of that as well. I need to get my hands on that Zaidebeck. Also, if anyone has better examples and/or pics of the ones I don't have, and would like to contribute, that is much appreciated. Of course all credit goes to the contributer.
This the kinda stuff you thinking about pocketmego?

<pasted text follows>

This post will cover the die-cast world of Ultraman toys.
Certainly not in any order, and not necessarily complete, but I will make reference (when available) to the year and manufacturer of said toy. I hope you guys find this information useful when searching or creating that "want list" we all have in our minds. Read on, and if you have any additions or corrections, please post them in this thread so I can fix this post. Information is power, folks. Lets share some...

Shuwattt!!!!

Old School Ultra Chogokin

Popy/Bandai GA/GB series, chogokin Ultraman figures.
In my searches for every gokin version of these characters, I have learned that I am still very far from complete. I still am missing many of the figures that were available. These toys can be quite elusive when searching because they can be listed in many ways and often get lost in the thousands of Ultraman toys posted online for sale.

Here is a list of the toys I know of and the year of release.
1978 GA-94 KingJoe
1978 GA-95 Ultraman
1978 GA-96 Ultraseven
1978 GA-98 Ultraman Taro
1979 GB-04 The Ultraman
1980 GB-21 Ultraman80
1983 GB-99 Ultraman version 2
1983 GC-05 Ultraseven version 2
1989 **-** Ultraman version 3

1978 GA-95 Ultraman and GA-98 Ultraman Taro (photo reference from sketcher's collection) -

1989/90 Bandai Chogokin Ultraman version 3 (photo reference from an auction I just won! Also, no GA/GB/etc, series designation on this figure. Kinda strange.) -

1980 GB-21 Ultraman80 (photo reference from ToyEast) -

While Popy/Bandai has the most entries in this segment, there were other small companies that created die-cast toys related to the Ultraman series of characters. Eidai Grip and Takatoku are 2 of these companies, each adding an entry not done in the Popy/Bandai side of things. They went with a more obscure character in the franchise by doing Ultraman Leo. This character hails from the darkest side of Ultraman fame. The series was almost depressing in it's themes and nearly adult subject matter, but the character is, in my opinion, one of the best Ultra suits to be created. From his winged head and sharply defined facial sculpt, he exudes kaiju a$$-kicking badness. ;)

The 2 entries here are as follows:
1974 Eidai Grip Ultraman Leo
1974 Takatoku Ultraman Leo

Side by side reference of the Takatoku (on the left) and Eidai Grip Ultraman Leo (reference photo courtesy of Corey Edwards www.coreyshead.com) -

Newer Ultra Chogokin

In 2004 Bandai decided to return to casting Ultraman in die-cast. This was a nice change from the vinyl that has been the common diet for most Ultraman collectors. The GD series has given us most of the more popular characters in the lineup of brothers and hopefully Bandai will produce more in this series to fill it out. These figures are much sought after by gokin collectors as well as Ultraman fans alike. Other than being slightly floppy and prone to shelf dives, these figures are well made and have steadily improved over the span of the series. They are greatly articulated, using click/ratchet joints in the main limbs, which is the reason they are apt to fall, but they can be set into very dynamic poses reminiscent of the scenes in the television show. Paint quality has definitely improved since the GD-58. If you pick these figures up, be sure to grab some figure stands for them to prevent the inevitable falls that will occur. I have added all of these to my shelf and can honestly say that they are some of my favorite Ultraman toys. I eagerly await more entries and hope we get a Leo, Father, Zophy, Astra, King and Mother.

Bandai GD Ultra Chogokin series figures in chronological order of release. Individual pics on the way...

4/2004 GD-58 Ultraman
4/2004 GD-59 Ultraseven
8/2004 GD-67 Return of Ultraman (Ultraman Jack)
12/2004 GD-74 Ultraman Ace
2/2005 GD-75 Ultraman Nexus
2/2006 GD-97 Ultraman Taro

Group shot (photo reference from sketcher's collection) -

Chogokin Ultra Kaiju

Ark, or Arklon series bots, were produced in the mid to late 70s (1975-78?) by the folks that brought us the Bullmark line. Ark was a subsidiary of Bullmark and only produced a limited number of toys. When Bullmark went out of business in 1977, Ark went independent and continued to produce toys under the eye of it's president, Saburo Ishizuki, until sometime later when they may have merged with another company. The series was focused in the Ultraman kaiju side of things with one exception, Mecha-Kong, which is based on King Kong. Some of the foreign packaging actually had poster art from the 1976 King Kong movie printed onto the packaging. I'll include Kong here because he is left out unless his wacky brethren are present. These toys are unique in the die-cast world, as they can be taken apart and re-combined into many other shapes and combinations only hampered by your imagination. Perfect examples of these toys are difficult to find, as they often have broken or missing parts due the large number of pieces and the playability of the toys. The kaiju they represent are supposed be organic creatures, while the toys go the other way by leaning toward the robot end of things. If you have a bent side that enjoys strange looking characters and toys that are just a bit different, try the Arklons. You will not be disappointed. Individual pics to follow...

Ark "Arklons", in order of production.
01 KingJoe version 1
01B KingJoe version 2
02 Mecha-Baltin Seijin
03 Mecha-Black King
03B Mecha-Red King
04 Mecha-Gomora
05 Mecha-Kong/Gorilla

Ark group shot (photo reference from sketcher's collection)

Rounding out the Ultra Kaiju spectrum, we have Marushin, who produced only a small handful of toys, and only one, that is related to this subject; Kemular, from the original Ultraman series. This toy is absolutely beautiful. This piece is very hard to acquire in any condition and almost impossible to find in perfect condition due to the fragile back plates/fins. Because the company was so obscure, many collectors do not even know these figures exist.
Learn more about Marushin here: [www.toyboxdx.com]

1977/79? (actual production date unknown to the author) Kemular/Kemler (reference photo courtesy of Corey Edwards www.coreyshead.com) -

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2007 11:10PM by sketcher.
MattAlt (Admin)
Great stuff! One correction:

"Ark, or Arklon series bots, were produced in the mid 70s (1975/76/77?) by the folks that brought us the Bullmark line. Ark was a subsidiary of Bullmark and only produced a limited number of toys before Bullmark went out of business, taking Ark with them."

Ark was a subsidiary of Bullmark, but went independent after Bullmark went out of business in 1977. I believe the Arklon stuff dates to around 1978. I'm not sure when Ark went under (it may have actually been acquired by another company rather than going out of business), but its president Saburo Ishizuki is still doing well, running a toy company called Marukoshi and also helping Bandai and M1 with reissues of Bullmark stuff.
cae
Ah, chogokin Ultraman! A genre near and dear to my heart!

UltraRoad

Kemular

Ultra7

Ultra Leo

Baltan

Redking

hassenpfeffer
Thank you Matt! I will update accordingly.

Corey, can I use the Kemular in the next incarnation of this post? I forgot all about that piece.

Some of my favorites as well. I finally have a Eidai Leo on the way from YahooJapan. I can hardly wait! I am still searching for the others on the list. Next target is Popy KingJoe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2007 08:45PM by sketcher.
cae
> Corey, can I use the Kemular in the next incarnation of this post?

feel free . . .

hassenpfeffer
Again, thanks for the image use, Corey. It is very much appreciated.

I really dig the Ultraseven playing card.
Sanjeev (Admin)
sketcher Wrote:
> ...Next target is Popy KingJoe.

Damn straight, homie.

(photos not meant to be a bite of Corey's glowie Chibull t-shirt--which is slammin, by the way! ...the pics just came out that way!)

I'm thinking of tracking down the US-release Arklon now--the one with the red, plastic limbs... And the SoC? Hell yeah, bring it.

Anyway, I absolutely second the Ark gang. Also Bullpets. They're the dope shit--one and all.

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2007 11:24PM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - joes_not_GI.jpg (208.9 KB)
open | download - joe-glow.jpg (89.6 KB)
sketcher Wrote:
> Been putting this together over at RJ because the
> Ultraman stuff does not get enough love.
> This the kinda stuff you thinking about
> pocketmego?
>
>
>
>

Oh hell yeah!!!

What a FANTASTIC collection of Ultrametal you have there. I could shead a tear based on just your Ark collection. Please Will all that Ultrman stuff to me. :D

Robaata's vehicles were pretty sweet too. Such incredible design asthetics at work in all these non-robot designs.

Question...

Where can I get my hands on that Nexus Diecast?

-Ray
cae Wrote:
> Ah, chogokin Ultraman! A genre near and dear to my
> heart!
>
> UltraRoad
>
> Kemular
>
> Ultra7
>
> Ultra Leo
>
> Baltan
>
> Redking

I LOVE the Ultraroad pic. That is sweet.

Great job.

- Ray
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Damn straight, homie.
>
> Bullpets. They're the dope shit--one and all.

I agree!

Nice shot of the Joe gang, btw! I like the glow with the silhouette of the other 2 in front.

pocketmego Wrote:

> Question...
>
> Where can I get my hands on that Nexus Diecast?
>
> -Ray

That one shows up pretty regular on the evilBay. You should be able to grab that in the 40-50 dollar range.
Hey Sanjeev!
Who's the glowie King Joe???
Sanjeev (Admin)
Who? Why, that's King Joe, of course! ;)

It's the recent-ish Popy/B-Club reissue of the original standard Bullmark.

Huh...how about that...you can direct-link to CT again...
[clubtokyo.org]
Anyway, these pop up every now and then on Y!J, so if you're interested, I'd think about moving quick...they're getting less and less frequent.

sketcher, glad you dug the Joe's pics...meanwhile, your pics are seriously great! They're making me jealous as hell! I still need a few more Bullpets--especially that elusive Angilas!

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2007 01:44PM by Sanjeev.
cae
Jah - that Angilas - Ghidorah!

*sigh*

hassenpfeffer
I was going to mention that cool as hell Glowey King Joe, Sanjeeve, but I didn't want to over-post.

As far as Bullpets go, the only one I really like is Godzilla. Which is odd considering how much I like the Arklons. Godzilla with his opening chest and pop-out dooh-hickeys just looks like so much fun.

-Ray

GREAT BIG SOFUBI LOVE!
Always wanted to bump a thread that was hella old. How's this?

So much has changed since then...

Peace.

-dylan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer