Top Five "Rarest" Chogokin

Posted by Mike Parisi 
I really want an official Bullmark screwdriver.
> As far as that Leo is concerned, the head sculpt
> on the Takatoku is nicer but I would not frown if
> I had the opportunity to aquire the Eidai.

I love the chrome-and-translucent chestplate on the Eidai. And the vibrant red plastic...

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
cae
> And the vibrant red plastic

vibrant red, yes; plastic? No.

The only plastic on this toy is contained in the fists, head, and chrome chest piece. The blue gem appears to be glass.

---------------------------------
hassenpfeffer
Ah, wow, I would've pegged the arms as plastic.

-Paul Segal

There's a die cast clover gundam as a DIY kit, also.
Ah yes...I was trying to remember where I had seen more of those "DIY" toys. There's a Dunbine too...

Is that Gundam unpainted?

-Paul Segal

asterphage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is that Gundam unpainted?

Yes. Bare metal.
I like the boxart for that Gundam.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
> Yes. Bare metal.

That's sexy.

-Paul Segal

Vincent Z. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like the boxart for that Gundam.
>
> --------------------------------------------------
> ------------
>
> Kiss my Asshimar.

Yes - it's my favorite gundam box art - it looks just as good up close. It's done in the old style, but with surface detail added to "real it up."
> Yes - it's my favorite gundam box art - it looks
> just as good up close. It's done in the old style,
> but with surface detail added to "real it up."

That boxart probably isn't by Okawara, but he did a fair amount of illustrations that you'd probably like. Have I ever posted the Dougram / Real Type Gundam hybrid on TBDX? It's from this book called Iron Works.

-Paul Segal

>It's from this book called Iron Works.

Which page? You talking about that "MSV" stuff?
I'd imagine that some of the Robocon stuff is rare, like Robin-chan. Im wrong probably, yes?

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
> >It's from this book called Iron Works.
>
> Which page? You talking about that "MSV" stuff?

Are you thinking of "Metal Heart", which is a book of Kenichi Ishibashi's illustrations for model kit boxes, mostly MSV, Zeta Gundam and Xabungle?

Iron Works is a book of all Okawara art. The Dougram-Gundam is on p.28

-Paul Segal

Attachments:
open | download - Kunio Okawara - Iron Works p028.jpg (395.9 KB)
Ah yes that's the picture I was thinking of. I have the book.... That guy is in the "MSV" ("Mobile Suit Variation") section. If memory serves, Mechmeister Roger told me once that the MSVs are designs that were made up to sell model kits.

It's funny... Some of Okawara's renderings are classic (like the paintings used on the "art box" 1/72 Dougram toys) and some are just... bad. I guess his acutal designs are better than his paintings in some cases! ; )
> Ah yes that's the picture I was thinking of. I
> have the book.... That guy is in the "MSV"
> ("Mobile Suit Variation") section.

I'm pretty sure it's only the two-page spread that's labelled "MSV" that's supposed to be the "MSV section". The Dougram Gundam doesn't exist in the official stable of MSV designs, and the page after it is all anime-colored version of the mecha, with some extra detail. Besides, there's MSV-ish stuff elsewhere in the book, like the Gundam in "Prototype Gundam" colors and the green Gouf riding around in space...

> If memory
> serves, Mechmeister Roger told me once that the
> MSVs are designs that were made up to sell model
> kits.

In any case, the MSV kit line was massively better than most of the original kits for the animated series... and the kits had better art in general.

> It's funny... Some of Okawara's renderings are
> classic (like the paintings used on the "art box"
> 1/72 Dougram toys) and some are just... bad.

The Dougram stuff probably post-dates the MSV work, where Okawara was starting to get some grit into his paintings... it seems like he had a hard time transitioning from the ultra-heroic stylings that he could get away with up through the Gundam materials into the more serious stuff that came after it. There are some exceptions, though, like those MSV-mech color layouts and the attached pic-

-Paul Segal

Attachments:
open | download - Kunio Okawara - Iron Works p002a (small).jpg (258.5 KB)
MattAlt (Admin)
I am grooving on revisiting these long-forgotten threads. It's like Chogokin Walking Dead.

Ironically all these years later, I stand by Mike P's take:

Mark - God Mazinger
Takemi - DX Pegas (way harder to find than the Granfighter DX)
Bullmark - Robokress DX
Clover - Zanbot DX
Takatoku - Galvion DX

And I'd add:

Grip: Mekabuton
Popy: GA-01 Mazinger shoulder-trigger version 1.0, or any of the Black DX stuff
MattAlt (Admin)
Actually, the Galvion is Tyco, not Takatoku. I'd say the DX Takatoku sets are the hardest to find, the Daikengo Buildplan high among them.

Bullmark: The Mekanda DX set is probably tied with the DX Diaploon triple set for rarity, but definitely ranks higher in desirability.
The Diapolon DX triple set in mint box is harder to find than the Techinical Gasshin set I think.
THe individual pieces of Mekanda are harder to find than the individual Diapolon robots.

The UFO ship and the other ship that splits into two (I forget the name right now) from Diaporon are difficult to find. I very rarely see them on YHJ.

In terms of rare- the Nomura Andromeda rarely makes an appearance.

Blue captor is also hard to find- the hardest of all the ninja Captor chogos.

I would say the Sanzen DX Gakeen is rarer than Zambot 3DX. The Zambo Ace stand alone is also harder to find than Zambot3 DX.

THe Stranger changer chogo is also hard to find, probably much harder than the god mazinger.

Robodoro MIB is also a difficult one to get a hold of.

So my list would look like

Mark - SAnzen Gakeen DX
Bullmark - Robokress DX
Clover - Diaporon UFO ship
Takatoku - Galvion DX

add to it:

Takatoku Stranger from 009
Bullmark- other ship from Diaporon.

For some reason the Grendizer base is commanding a lot of coin these days.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, I'm not sure the Zambot DX set should be on there...a few have popped up in the last couple years...but then again, those may have been coincidences.

How about the Takemi Sandaio (with intact shoulders!)? How about the Popy Odysseus ship from Ulysses 31?
On the other hand, as far as common gokins goes, I'm still waiting for the price for Voltes V DX to drop ever since it was reported that they were abundantly available at your corner 7-11's....
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ha!

If only, those fuckers have gone up...steadily. :/
Not sure of the Zanbot DX either now. Seems like there is ALWAYS one for sale, at some absurd price of course, but nonetheless. A loose one recenty went for 650.00, if I remember correctly.
MattAlt (Admin)
>>The UFO ship and the other ship that splits into two (I forget the name right now) from Diaporon are difficult to find. I very rarely see them on YHJ.

The "Space Clear"? Mr. Duban is far more of an expert on these than I...

>>In terms of rare- the Nomura Andromeda rarely makes an appearance.

That Nomura Andromeda is a model kit, though.

>>How about the Takemi Sandaio (with intact shoulders!)?

Hard to find to be sure, but not sure if more so than the DX Pegas. (Speaking of which, anyone ever pick up the CM's one? Looks pretty cool)

I had never seen the Takatoku Stranger. I'm sure I'm missing a lot of the smaller/less well known rare stuff for the big DX guys. And yeah, the Popy NinjaCaptor guys can be pretty hard to complete as a set.This guy pulled it off though...
MattAlt (Admin)
>>Bullmark - Robokress DX

Do you think this is actually harder to find than a DX Mekanda set? I feel like the Robokress' turn up on a semi-regular basis (though I haven't been looking lately)
>>In terms of rare- the Nomura Andromeda rarely makes an appearance.

That Nomura Andromeda is a model kit, though.

Matt, I am talking about the diecast one that is tiny like 3-4", in the same scale as the tiny yamato from Nomura, I have only seen it on sale once.

The Space Clear in any kind of good shape is hard to come by. I wonder if there is any version of the Diaporon UFO that is more rare than the others.

The DXRobokress I think is harder to find than the DX Mekanda. DX Mekanda MIB might be a harder find though. But if you want to mix and match( buy a bunch of incomplete bits and make your own MIB). , I think you can do it easier than getting a DX RoboK.

The Bullmark Angilas with all parts is also a difficult one to come by. You will find it a lot in rough shape but not really in "collector" shape.

The Takemi Sandaio- intact shoulders blue-ish hue legs is the hardest one of those to find, I think.
MattAlt (Admin)
Wow, I totally blanked on that Nomura diecast Andromeda. Yes, that has to be the single hardest to find piece in their line. Never ever seen one. Very little about it online. This guy has a writeup about it. Looks like Nomura was planning a DX sized one too? He scanned this from B-Club.

As a side note the DX Baldios has to be second toughest behind that, and the DX Bluenoah has to be a (distant) third; it's harder to find in mint condition than any of the other Yamato stuff. (I love this guy's customized Bluenoah set...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2012 10:25PM by MattAlt.
Attachments:
open | download - bclub37.jpg (25.3 KB)
MattAlt (Admin)
I would argue that the normal Blue Noah is tougher to find than the DX. I see the DX much more than the normal one and the normal one commands a higher price (usually 20~25K JPY). The Baldios is a nice toy, although not diecast I think the plastic "Pla-Dera" version is more rare.

The middle sized Acrobunch is also a hard to find diecast, much more than the ST or DX. THe mid size has decent diecast and is a more sturdy toy than the DX big guy.

By maker:
Sanzen Gakeen DX
Bullmark - Robokress DX
Tyco - Galvion DX
Popy- Robodoro (we ignore the re-colors or limited editions)
Nomura- tiny Andromeda
Clover- Zanbo Ace stand alone
Takatoku- Stranger
Poem- The big Govarian
Takara- diecast Gakeen? I ignore all T-formers, Microman and Diaclone
MattAlt (Admin)
>>Poem- The big Govarian

Can't argue there -- that "Psyhco-change" version is seriously hard to find -- but if we're including all variations the Magentype vinyl is *insanely* hard to find. I have only seen it up for auction once.

P.S.: this ad is blowing my mind

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2012 01:49AM by MattAlt.
Attachments:
open | download - psychochange.jpg (274.8 KB)
Here'a another rare one:

My Orbots boot.... ;-)
The Orbots boot is so damn cool. Have you ever seen another? I certainly have not!
I should ask my brother one of these days if he recalled seeing a bunch of them at whatever hole in the wall Taipei toy store he went to when he got these, way back in `85.
That won't make me feel any better, unless he purchased them all and curently needs extra cash ;)
the banpa (sp?) from ruben kaiser is also mad hard to find especially in box.
> Wow, I totally blanked on that Nomura diecast Andromeda. Yes, that has to be the single hardest to find piece in their line. Never ever seen one. Very little about it online.

I do own one so next time you stop by I will show it to you....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer