Morinaga Gundam Love

Posted by MattAlt 
MattAlt (Admin)
In a recent haul of translucent goodness dredged from the bowels of the Japanese toy collecting world, my net caught a few extra surprises. Namely, mimi-Gundam kits that came packaged with Morinaga candies back in the day!

They're tiny. TEENY tiny.

And dusty. REALLY dusty.

And lastly, they need to be assembled out of the box:

Monochromatic plastic gold? Or the tiniest, sleaziest Gundam collectibles in existence? You make the call!

-M
Morinaga Gundam kits have the best cover art ever. Just a bad photo of the badly sculpted kit in front of a weird colored shape pattern. I love it.

Tomorrow I will return to this thread and post photos taken from Yahoo Japan, as well as scans of boxes of recent reissues of Morinaga Zeta Gundam candy kits that I just found in Chinatown.
MattAlt (Admin)
They're actually quite well done for cheap toys, with better detail and proportions than their larger half-translucent bretheren. The box proudly proclaims "16 variations!" but I recall seeing a lot more than that back in the day.

I think my favorite thing about the packaging is that there's no way in hell any normal kid could paint them that well. BASTARDS!!!!

-M
I think this has a complete listing of the vintage candy kis, but I can't be sure:

[ironcastle.cool.ne.jp]
MMM....Gundam Fruit Bites.....
Zeta candy-kit reissue packages...
I LOVE that Rick Dias.

I wish they made candy toys that you canactually EAT!

If one were to scale these/ what would they be? 1/400?

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
> I wish they made candy toys that you canactually EAT!

You can eat them, Vincent. Haven't you ever tried?

> If one were to scale these/ what would they be? 1/400?

Do they LOOK scale to you? Look at that fat little Rick Dias. Do you think it accurately scales? You are wrong and a bad person for asking this.

If I had a group shot of my assemebled ones you'd understand. The Rick Dias is a midget, the Qubeley even smaller. The Nemo towers over them all.
MattAlt (Admin)
ASSENHEIMER! Love the proportions on these guys. And the fact that their packages sport versions painted with a level of skill no child could ever hope to match. I repeat: BASTARDS!
More pics from Paul's haul:

I'm wondering what the deal with this is. Are they reissues or bootlegs or what? I could see them bootlegging the kits, but the candy too?

(And [www.imageshack.us] is much image love.)
For those that want to share in the love. Yahoo Japan search for "Morinaga Gundam":

[keyword.search.auctions.yahoo.co.jp]

I love those boxes...
These Bandai capsule kits were close cousins of the Morinaga ones. Perhaps some were even reissues?

[yu-yuz.hp.infoseek.co.jp]

I used to have Gallus-J, and Gaza-C, and they were really great. Of course, I couldn't paint as well as this person could, so they remained their original pastel green and purple:

That Rick Dias looks an awful lot like the Morinaga one.

I want the series with the Bawoo and Dreissen and R-Jarja...
Hi there,

Anybody knows how to search Kabaya Candy Toys on Yahoo Jap?

Tanx,

Christian.

PS: Cheapy Toys RULEZ!!!!
Sorry, don't know.

More cool items from YJ:

I want that Prototype Dom from the Secret Box.
Okay, I got the set of candy kits from Paul today, thanks again mucho! Here's the lineup:

1-4 are urine yellow:
1 Gundum Mark 2
2 High Zack
3 Garabaldi Beta
4 Rick Diaz

5-8 are broccoli green:
5 Chana Messala
6 Assheimer
7 GAT Plant
8 Lil' Nemo

Unfortunately, no Q-Belly in the lot. I guess the one Paul has comes from another series. These are definitely reissues for the Chinese market by a company called Taimori ([www.taimori.com.tw]).

The unnerving thing about these is the notice on the box of Chocoballs that says, "Shelf life one year best before end of date shown on package." But I CAN'T FIND THE DATE ON THE PACKAGE. How do I know these are safe?!?!?

Scans coming soonish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2005 10:53PM by Roger.
Okay, I get it. "TaiMori" = "Taiwan Morinaga".

This web site is pretty awful, but I found the product page with the candy kits:

[www.morinaga.com.tw]

Apparently they come in other appetizing colors.
Catalog pages are here:

[www.morinaga.com.tw]
[www.morinaga.com.tw]

> "Shelf life one year best before end of date shown on package." But I CAN'T
> FIND THE DATE ON THE PACKAGE. How do I know these are safe?!?!?

I ate some of mine. They're fine. Not exactly appetizing, but edible.

I resent that apparantly none of the ones in this reissue series come in blue or purple. Those TaiMori bastards.
Yeah, I had some of those chocolate llama droppings, too. They tasted like the floor of an old dusty warehouse.

Powder blue or purple is no color for a robot death machine, but neither is urine yellow.
For the New Yorkers who want to pick up some themselves, here's the location:

[www.kammanfood.com]
After assembling these, I can safely say, they're not that great:

The plastic is soft and grainy to the touch, there's tons of flash, and the fit of the parts isn't that great. Overall, they're inferior compared to the originals (which used the same type of plastic the bigger model kits did). For $1.19 apiece, though, they're not that bad.
The mother lode!

MattAlt (Admin)
SIGH... If only they were half-translucent...!
More Gundam candy/capsule kit goodness!

[members.jcom.home.ne.jp]

(I wish I still had that green Gallus-J.)
These just popped up on Morinaga Taiwan's product page:

Anybody seen 'em?
Packaging:

Has anyone seen them since my 2:50 post?
I'll look for 'em next time I'm in Chinatown.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Ho-ly crap, they actually made a kit of Goemon's junkyard suit from Gundam-ZZ:

And a Barzam:

I'm surprised I haven't found a version of The-O yet.
I bet there's no The-O or Bound Doc at all. Kobayashi gets NO RESPECT.

Heh, if they did a Geze, then there's gotta be a Junior Mobile Suit out there. I wonder if it has a little pilot, or just a big empty seat.

-Paul Segal

Take a look.

Attachments:
open | download - 1128935987215.jpg (53.4 KB)
Cool little kits. where do you find them?
Yahoo Japan or a local Asian market (especially one from the Kam Man Foods chain) that carries Morinaga Taiwan's mediocre reissues seem to be the only current options.

-Paul Segal

It seems like a couple of years ago a lot of these were reissued. I'm currently bidding on a few I found on Yahoo Japan and will post about the quality if and when I get them.
The pic I found was from 2chan.

I just won these:

From what I've seen, the kits inside are white, and I'm pretty sure these are recent reissues.
I'm finding some stuff using searches on "gundam mini":
[search.auctions.yahoo.co.jp]

And "plamodel mini":
[search.auctions.yahoo.co.jp]

If anyone else has search terms to suggest, please post them.

Here are more shots of what I believe to be reissues:

Looks like Mandarake's blog covered those ERASER/candy kit combos:

[www.mandarake.co.jp]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer