Bootleg or not

Posted by JoshB 
I just bought a really nice quality ST Battle Shark. Check it out in the datafiles:

[www.toyboxdx.com]

The box has the Popy logo in english, which leads me to believe that it was a european release. All the other text on the box is in english, with no PB-83 number on the toy or the box.

The box says "Made in Singapore"

They toy itself has the ?opy logo in english on it as well as the toei logo. thats it. No PB-83 or "Made in Singapore" on it.

The original Popy came in styrofoam - this is in a cardboard holder.

The quality is top notch - typical Popy quality.

So, is it a bootleg? Were some Popy toys made in Singapore? Did european versions of this toy exclude the PB number? I'm thinking bootleg because I know that there is a bootleg Battle Fever chogokin out there, and I never heard of Popy making toys in Singapore.

Any thoughts on this?

----------------------------------------------------------------
[www.collectiondx.com]

"I think those Argentinians with the Italian IP addresses are the worst. You know what I call them? ArgItalians! Damn, I hates me some ArgItalians! Boo! "

--Gingaioh
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
Josh,

I've come across a couple of the European Battle Fever releases that have only had the POPY logo in English and no styro in the box just cardboard. Popy did manufacture toys for the European market in Singapore, but the quality between those and the Japanese versions are virtually identical IMO.

-E
MattAlt (Admin)
"Were some Popy toys made in Singapore?"

Yes. In 1988, Bandai reissued a handful of Chogokin to commemorate the 10th anniversary of Super Sentai shows. I'm not sure about the entire extent of the line, or which pieces were produced in what country, but _Green Arrow Graffiti_ confirms that some of them were indeed made in Singapore.

For that matter, if you look on the bottom right of page 144 of GAG, you can see that Battle Fever Robo was one of the toys that was re-released in this series. What's also interesting is that unlike the other toys in the re-release, it's in a box labled "Popy." So it's not out of the question that your Euro version is the real deal.

-M
My BF Robo came in such a box too. Also made in Singapore! :-)
Thanks guys, I guess it's legit after all. I love the piece!

Josh

----------------------------------------------------------------
[www.collectiondx.com]

"I think those Argentinians with the Italian IP addresses are the worst. You know what I call them? ArgItalians! Damn, I hates me some ArgItalians! Boo! "

--Gingaioh
FYI,

most if not all of the european popy pieces are from singapore as well....

the gatchaspartan from europe is from singapore.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer