Unicron

Posted by Dominic 
A new book called Transformers Vault, released late May, had this picture in it. It shows the chest closed, an opaque right hand, and typical Hasbro photoshop fuckery:

They ought to release Beast Wars Neo Unicron.

--------------------------
I want YOU for Moé Sucks Army

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2011 03:56PM by Scopedog.
Attachments:
open | download - unicron2011.jpg (49.6 KB)

Peeps, after staring at this photo and then meditating on it, and after looking at various screencaps from the '86 movie, I have come to the conclusion that Hasbro didn't actually screw the pooch completely this time. The yellow/gold is actually preferable to and more accurate than the pumpkin orange of the 2010 version, though the flat white and gray of the 2010 makes the Hasbro version look stoopid.

So I'll call it a draw, but what do you all think?

I think that I had a hard time pulling the trigger on the 2010 version, especially after reports of the misaligned jaws. The same problem may reoccur, but in this case I'm only tossing away sixty bones for a Unicron that looks pretty close to showy, or at least as close as the 2010 version.

Also, it'd give me an excuse to throw some money the Reverend's way for that stand of his, assuming there are any left.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2011 10:57PM by gingaio.
I really don't care for that extra blue coloring but for basically 1/2 off.....
gingaio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So I'll call it a draw, but what do you all think?

Buy the Hasbro one to keep in planet mode on the Throne of Chaos.
Interestingly, the example photo of planet mode on amazon.com appears to show a Unicron with duplicate teeth, however, its the "four-tooth" part that was duplicated rather than the "three-tooth" part like the 2010 version. The in-hand version has the correct teeth parts.

The amazon.com example:

The in-hand version:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2011 12:50PM by Scopedog.
Attachments:
open | download - 519mSMOnknL.jpg (33.4 KB)
open | download - 100_4923_1314214438.jpg (123.6 KB)
gingaio Wrote:

> So I'll call it a draw, but what do you all think?

The 2010 Takara version definitely wins for me, no contest. While this one has a more accurate yellow, the colors of the toy as a whole doesn't gel well. The blue doesn't look good with the yellow, nor the silver, nor the red missile bits. The orange on the 2010 is a little orange, but its nice in person, and all the greys match up nicely. If you did the green LED mod like some of us did, its pretty much a perfect Unicorn as is (as far as that mold goes).

So, 2010 Takara Unicorn > 2011 Amazon Unicorn
>While this one has a more accurate yellow, the colors of the toy as a whole
>doesn't gel well. The blue doesn't look good with the yellow, nor the silver,
>nor the red missile bits.
>
I totally see your point--the plain white w/ gray is a nice combination. The kicker for me is the orange, though. If I had to choose, I'd say that bugs me just a little bit more than the blue/silver bits, though really, they're just about the same to me. The interesting thing is that in some shots from the movie, there does seem to be a slightly blue tinge to Unicron.

I guess it's like the SDF-1 from the DYRL movie. The actual color just depends on what scene you're talking about.

Regardless, 'toon coloration can be overrated sometimes (a black Snake Eyes will always be superior to a purple one). Now 'toon design, on the other hand...

Anyway, it was nice to be able to order a Unicron for under $100. Toss in free shipping and it's a deal.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2011 12:05AM by gingaio.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, I think I tend to prefer the 2010 version a little bit better. But then again, the flash in that side-by-side shot probably make the colors a bit more garish than in normal lighting. Ultimately, I think the price difference is enough to tip the scales in favor of the 2011.

Anyway, in the past couple days, I've gotten a flood of about half a dozen stand orders, so I'm likely sold out by now. But they're like Dorito's: crunch all you want...I'll make more.
Whoa: [www.amazon.com]

I think somebody's been taking Mr. Crush's scalper analysis to heart.
gingaio Wrote:
> Regardless, 'toon coloration can be overrated
> sometimes (a black Snake Eyes will always be
> superior to a purple one).

Blasphemy! Nurple Jammies Snake Eyes is teh titz. Except for that weird glove. Ugh.

gingaio Wrote:
> Whoa:
> [www.amazon.com]
> 8&seller=A30I4EVTNYNS1U&sn=Gypsies%20in%20the%20Pa
> lace

How did you find my listing so quickly?

So, did anyone get their Amazonian Unicorn yet? Any firsthand comments on it?
The big guy just landed.

I'm astounded. The package was shipped in a form fitting box and managed to arrive in perfect shape. Neat!

Box condition aside, the figure's not bad. The metallic paint is more subdued in person, and the right hand is still transparent, but is offset by a smoky gray color that makes it match the other hand, so there's no huge discrepancy in the look of the two hands as you get in the previous versions.

I'm probably not going to bust this loose, at least not until I clear some space, but early reports on TFW2005 indicate that the joints do feel a bit looser than the first version (Armada). Happens, I guess.

Peeps over there are also freaking out about having missed this, even though Amazon will probably restock soon. Anyway, I tried to do them a solid by offering it for $10,000 (but with free shipping within the U.S.). Nobody's taken me up on it yet.

My main concern was QC gremlins, as someone reported getting two left planet shells. Thankfully, I got one of each side, and better yet, the teeth line up. Whoop-de-whoop!

I can understand people preferring the 2010 version, though I think the ideal version would combine colors from that and this version. But when you consider the cost, at $60 shipped, this is a winner.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2011 04:37PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - 100_3029.jpg (144.3 KB)
Gcrush Wrote:
> So, did anyone get their Amazonian Unicorn yet?
> Any firsthand comments on it?

Guess what the UPS man brought today... I haven't opened it, and I'm not sure if I will. But here are some impressions.

1. The box art has an interesting "movie-style" CGI image of Unicron on the front. It's kind of neat, actually. And it helps explain what kind of Unicron this is.

2. Keeping the above image in mind, the colors on the toy appear designed to match it as opposed to the 80s animation. It's somewhere between Armada, 80s Movie, and Bayverse aesthetics in the end.

3. Likewise, Unicron is all metallic looking - including the goldenrod plastic color on the limbs and head.

4. The entire torso and assorted other bits are a slightly metallic gray plastic that, on my sample, show lots of casting defects like wrinkles, ripples, and fault lines.

5. The price-to-value ratio on this is eons better than with Masterpiece Shitrod. Because both of those toys are the exact same price, I am more thoroughly convinced than ever that MPSR is over-engineered garbage.

Without opening Unicron, I can't tell if the LED in the head is the "right" color. But the package back indicates it is green. And the eyes have a slightly metallic, frosted green tint to them. The right hand appears somewhat opaque and looks better than the 2010. The red bits on the figure are not as distracting as they appear in pictures. The little planet guy is more, uh, interestingly colored. And... I think that's all I got on it.

The 2010 version is more cohesive and, despite being two shades too orange, looks closer to the 80s movie. But the Amazonian version is a better bargain and pretty solid on its own. Definitely worth it if you don't already have a Unicorn on the dashboard of your Hummer.
gingaio Wrote:
> I'm probably not going to bust this loose, at
> least not until I clear some space, but early
> reports on TFW2005 indicate that the joints do
> feel a bit looser than the first version (Armada).
> Happens, I guess.

I was curious about the QC...

> Peeps over there are also freaking out about
> having missed this, even though Amazon will
> probably restock soon.

Hasbro usually produces toys in HUGE quantities, even exclusive ones. I'm pretty sure there will be more. But I guess I should have gotten two so I could flip one and make some mad scalper l00tz.

> My main concern was QC gremlins, as someone
> reported getting two left planet shells.
> Thankfully, I got one of each side, and better
> yet, the teeth line up. Whoop-de-whoop!

I did not check this. Will have to do that...

> I can understand people preferring the 2010
> version, though I think the ideal version would
> combine colors from that and this version. But
> when you consider the cost, at $60 shipped, this
> is a winner.

It's weird, but I always thought of Unicorns as orangey looking. The 2010 version looked fine to me until I put it alongside the Amazonian one, at which point is turned into a Super Pumpkin. But the Amazonian Unicorn looks a little too yellow to me. I think that between the two they could get it right. Like, add one more shade of orange to the Amazon. Or add two shades of yellow to the 2010. Or something.

But what I really want to see is a newly tooled Unicorn that matches the awesome box art. The teeth and expression on that are downright creepy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2011 05:04PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - unicron_deletedscene.jpg (95.9 KB)
Yeah, that box art is extremely creepy, and cool.

As for the colors, I think more recent print sources (or print sources in general?) have tended to dull the orange a bit and head more toward the yellow end of the spectrum...maybe that's what Hasbro was going for?:

A bit more overall cohesiveness, as you mentioned, would have been great, and I really appreciate what they did with the right hand as well. That always looked a bit goofy on the other Unicrons.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2011 05:17PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - Unicron-UltimateGuide.jpg (139.5 KB)
Gcrush Wrote:
> Gcrush Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------

>
> 4. The entire torso and assorted other bits are a
> slightly metallic gray plastic that, on my sample,
> show lots of casting defects like wrinkles,
> ripples, and fault lines.
>
>

Most people enjoy silver plastic specifically BECAUSE of this aspect. Look at the metallic Glyos figs. I guess on Unicron in makes less sense 'in scale', though.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
It doesn't look bad, but I'm definitely glad I went with the 2010 version. Just looks more like the movie to me.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
gingaio Wrote:
> A bit more overall cohesiveness, as you mentioned,
> would have been great, and I really appreciate
> what they did with the right hand as well. That
> always looked a bit goofy on the other Unicrons.

I just busted open the box to check out the wingy, planety bits for doublage. There was none. All parts were present and accounted for. Still didn't take the figure out, so no idea about the QC on it. It did give me a chance to take a better look at it.

Like you said, the right hand definitely looks better than before. And the tinted eyes, too. The gold-ish plastic is okay and works with the overall color scheme, but it definitely ain't right to me. Interestingly, the gold bits are much more broken up across the whole figure than on the 2010. Der Amazoner has the silver chest, biceps, and assorted contact points that make it look like it's wearing the gold parts instead of those parts actually being its body. I know that makes no sense, but it's the best I could think of at the moment.

Prometheum5 Wrote:
> Most people enjoy silver plastic specifically
> BECAUSE of this aspect. Look at the metallic
> Glyos figs. I guess on Unicron in makes less
> sense 'in scale', though.

I had a Glyos robot dood that was silver. The smaller parts looked good, almost burnished in a way. But on the large, flat, unbroken surface of the tummy-tum-tum I didn't like the thick swirl lines. So I know what you're saying, but I prefer that plastic on smaller chunks, or parts that have more variation in surface detail. On my Unicron the corners on the upper chest look rippled and smooshed up-close. Like the plastic didn't inject or set at a uniform rate. I don't think it was intentional - more like a minor defect.

I should take a comparison pic of the recent Robot Spirits G3 next to Unicorn. The G3 has the absolute best use of metallic plastic I have ever seen. Looks like a goddamn automobile factory paint job. Unicorn, on the other hand, looks like metallic-ish plastic.
Don't know why it didn't occur to me before, and I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere, but the Amacron is actually an homage to the unproduced G1 prototype, as far as colors:

[www.fasthack.com]

As far as gold vs. orange, here's another screenshot from the movie, and all it proves is that the coloring in the movie is totally consistent:

Was debating whether or not to sell this for the 2010, but leaning towards sticking with it for now. The colors could be better, but I'm liking the gold and the improvements (hands, eyes) are pretty good, too.
gingaio Wrote:
> Don't know why it didn't occur to me before, and
> I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere, but the
> Amacron is actually an homage to the unproduced G1
> prototype, as far as colors:
>
> [www.fasthack.com]

I didn't realize it, but, yeah. They look pretty damn similar. Cool.

> As far as gold vs. orange...

I looked up screen grabs, too. I'm convinced the most balanced color is somewhere between the two toys.

> Was debating whether or not to sell this for the
> 2010, but leaning towards sticking with it for
> now. The colors could be better, but I'm liking
> the gold and the improvements (hands, eyes) are
> pretty good, too.

Agreed on the hand-to-eye coordination. If I didn't already have a Twentytencron I would never pay the prices people are asking on Ebay. $250? That's fucking nuts. I paid just over $100 and I felt a little stung. For the extra loot you could pay someone to professionally detail-up an Amacron. Now that I think about it, I might make that a project for a rainy weekend...
gingaio Wrote:
> As far as gold vs. orange, here's another
> screenshot from the movie, and all it proves is
> that the coloring in the movie is totally
> consistent:
>
Whoops. Meant inconsistent.
Amacron...

Twentytencron...

Gotta love those names. I guess we should add Armadacron to the mix (though I dispise those versions and refuse to get it even if its free).

Unicron definitely has its charm. Its still one of the most satisfying TF toy I've bought. Partly is the novelty of owning a huge Unicron, but a lot of it is just being a huge solid toy. The ratchets are pretty darn strong. With the new smaller head, it does have a pretty nice overall proportion. I dig the Twentytencron better, but its nice to have Amacron for the more budgeted collectors.
I've got the old original Armadacron, but I have to say I like this Amazon one the best of the versions I've seen so far. As it is, it's not that this mold fits with the G1 toys. It's essentially "Classics" Unicron with the head remold. Wish I hadn't been on vacation when this guy popped up on Amazon...

More serious than thou
Indeed. This Unicron does go very well with the Classics figures. Thats what my display is. A towering Unicron, with all the Classics/Generations/Reveal The Shield gang in front. Perfect match.
I think that Unicron looks pretty good but I'm not a fan of the face sculpt. Depending on how hard it is to remove it I wouldn't be surprised to see a 3rd party company make a different head.

Interesting...pics by Unicron-WMD over at TFW2005. He's using Sunbow animation models as points of reference.

Amacron's planet mode looks spot-on, though as Senor Crush mentioned, the 'orange' is kind of a toss-up. The blue doesn't look so out of place, though Amacron could have really used some flat white. I'm surprised the Twentycron missed the orange equatorial stripe in planet mode.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2011 10:32PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - UniComp_4.jpg (227.5 KB)
open | download - UniComp_5.jpg (187.4 KB)
open | download - UniComp_6.jpg (153.8 KB)
open | download - UniComp_7.jpg (184 KB)
I'm still happy with the 2010 Unicron. That blue just longs wrong to me. It always looked gray in the movie to my eyes.

-Ginrai
Ginrai Wrote:
> It always looked gray in the movie to my eyes.

Get your eyes checked. ;)

Then again, it was gray in some scenes.
Looks gray to me, just that the gray has a slight hint of teal green from my color calibrated monitor. At least nothing as blue as the Amacron suggested. And its really based on the G1 Unicron Prototype toy color scheme, not the cartoon movie.
mpchi Wrote:
> Looks gray to me, just that the gray has a slight hint of teal green from my
> color calibrated monitor.

Well, according to my Starfleet-issued tricorder, it's more of a Barney fuschia.

Damn, we're really starting to split hairs here.

I'll take the blame for what it's come to this time. Someone else's turn next time.

> And its really based on the G1 Unicron
> Prototype toy color scheme, not the cartoon movie.

Looking at those official animation models (from Unicron-WMD's pictures), I don't think it's a stretch to imagine the G1 prototype being in turn based on the cartoon (or vice-versa or both, with a lot of liberties taken either way, as happened in the exchange between a lot of G1 toys/characters).

When the term 'toon accuracy gets slung around, it's usually nebulous. Like Snake Eyes turns out to be purple, the SDF-1 in DYRL goes from gray to blue to greenish-blue in a couple of scenes, and now this.

Anyway, whatever. I'm sure we're all happy with whatever version we decided to go with.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2011 05:24PM by gingaio.
gingaio Wrote:
> Well, according to my Starfleet-issued tricorder,
> it's more of a Barney fuschia.
>
> Damn, we're really starting to split hairs here.
>
> I'll take the blame for what it's come to this
> time. Someone else's turn next time.

Don't mean to sound obnoxious. I do digital art and needs to calibrate my monitors often, so just included the simple remark since we are on the subject of colors on the Crons. But I am sure its no match for a Starfleet-issued tricorder. :D

Saw this posted in another forum. Made me chuckled.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2011 09:17PM by mpchi.
mpchi Wrote:
> gingaio Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Well, according to my Starfleet-issued
> tricorder,
> > it's more of a Barney fuschia.
> >
> > Damn, we're really starting to split hairs here.
>
> >
> > I'll take the blame for what it's come to this
> > time. Someone else's turn next time.
>
> Don't mean to sound obnoxious. I do digital art
> and needs to calibrate my monitors often, so just
> included the simple remark since we are on the
> subject of colors on the Crons. But I am sure its
> no match for a Starfleet-issued tricorder. :D
>
No worries, and that's interesting to know about your job. If anything, I regret being the doofus who initiated/prolonged this thread about, of all things, Unicron's colors? Anyway, I'm certainly no expert when it comes graphical discussions, but good to know some are.

> Saw this posted in another forum. Made me
> chuckled.
>
> [www.youtube.com]
> =player_embedded

Neat-o!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2011 11:05PM by gingaio.
I still like the 2010 version. For those that think the orange is too orange you could just weather it like I did.
I just noticed that Unicorn is making with the crotch thrust in this pic. Although, based on its relative tubbiness, I'd say it's more like the "gut-thrust". Awesome.

So I saw a weird rant about Amacron in which material deficiencies were mentioned. Namely, that the thing is made out of cheap, rubbery plastic in parts where previous versions were not. I busted out Amacron from its prison to verify this. And, it's true. The planet halves, chest pieces, belly cover, and skirt are all made from less rigid plastic than previous versions. It's not exactly rubbery like the shoulder pads, but definitely more flexible than you might expect. Perhaps this was done for changing safety standards or to reduce costs. While not a huge turn-off, it does mean that some parts have a tendency to fall off rather than rotate.

Another point of interest is that the LED in the eyes is NOT green. It's red, even though the box shows it to be green. The green paint on the eyes does nothing to obscure this. Meh. Replace it, or live with it.

The QC on the joints seems fine for the most part, though the right hip's lateral ratchet joint is weak and collapses easily.

I didn't transform it, so I can't comment about the parts-fit on the aging mold.

Overall, it's good. I have no regrets about the $60. If it was more than that, I might. But at that price, you can't beat it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2011 12:27PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - gut thrust.jpg (44.8 KB)
Lord help me, the more I look at it, the more I want this one instead. Strangely, the tubby shape seems closer to the spirit of the character than the bodybuilder stylings of the current incarnation. Talk about gut-thrusting--

Anyway, busted out my Amacron, and the joints all feel tight, really tight, so I've got no complaints on that. Guess it's the usual spotty, luck-of-the-draw HasTak QC, based on what I've read.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2011 04:43PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - r_unicron038.jpg (135.4 KB)
open | download - r_unicron009.jpg (79.2 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
gingaio Wrote:
> Lord help me, the more I look at it, the more I
> want [the original G1 proposed toy] instead.

You're not alone.

Gcrush Wrote:
> Another point of interest is that the LED in the
> eyes is NOT green. It's red, even though the box
> shows it to be green.

That sucks.

gingaio Wrote:
> Anyway, whatever. I'm sure we're all happy with
> whatever version we decided to go with.

Exactly. So now, everyone buy a fucking stand from me! :P

Heh...actually those pics posted from "Unicron-WMD" got me a little nervous that Hasbro's actually gonna sell that black stand they have featured in those pics! Trying to undercut me...BASTARDOS!!

Anyway, great call on the equatorial stripe. I'm definitely gonna paint that in on my 2010cron!

And, uh, not to crossover into custom not-Hasbro territory, but now I'm starting to think of making replacement teeth. Sure, it'd be trivial to do exact repro's to fix the misalignment on mine...but why stop there...?
I would looooove an actual toy of the '80s Unicron prototype.

-Ginrai
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Anyway, great call on the equatorial stripe. I'm
> definitely gonna paint that in on my 2010cron!

This thread inspired me to do the same and I was planning on looking for the orange paint this week. Let us know if you find a good match and I'll do the same if I find it first.

Sanjeev (Admin)
The Hobbytown nearby used to carry the full line of Tamiya acrylics...so fucking good. Cheap and SUPER simple to mix to get the perfect match. I ain't trying to buy this shit online, though... :/

Oh, incidentally, now that I've gotten a chance to catch up on most of my e-mails, I'm up to almost three dozen Unicron stand preorder inquiries! I'm rich, beeyatch!
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Oh, incidentally, now that I've gotten a chance to
> catch up on most of my e-mails, I'm up to almost
> three dozen Unicron stand preorder inquiries! I'm
> rich, beeyatch!

I mentioned this in the email I just sent you, but peeps at the TF board were really asking about that brownnoize guy while you were away. Perfect timing, it seems--probably just made them more antsy and eager to send you their wads of cash, what with the panic over the sold-out Amacron and the brief spate of orders taken for that Jizai-"inspired" Wheelie.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2011 01:42AM by gingaio.
[non sequiturs and redundancies]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2011 01:44AM by gingaio.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer