Unicron

Posted by Dominic 
Hey does anyone have a spare Dead End (the moon Minicon) from the black Unicron repaint from Energon that they don't need? Or a Bug General, the black and red repaint of the moon from Micron Legend? I'd love to trick out my Unicron with more moons.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
You're loony.
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Huh. What modern Japanese TFs have respectable
> packaging? I can't really think of any...but I
> certainly don't know everything that's out
> there...

I had a Dinobot and a Ravage that has nice plastic clamshells-inside-cardboards that were collector friendly. Granted this toy is 500 times larger, but still. Reusable, storage friendly packaging is always a plus...

> Man, if you get it that often, maybe you should
> only buy good toys. :P

Double-haw!

> Nah...just playing...but to answer your questions [...]

Damn you all! You all pushed me over the edge and made me poop out spare change I had allocated for Revoltechs. It was a combination of: 1) Unicron being harder and more expensive to track down in the future; 2) all of your glowing endorsements; and 3) these pictures:

Holy shit. Why do more people not do that in their reviews? It's so persuasive when you can actually see the figure you are contemplating is not an immobile brick. Glorious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2010 07:10PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - 20101003211657303.jpg (105.1 KB)
open | download - 20101003211627640.jpg (105.8 KB)
open | download - 2010100321252806f.jpg (104.1 KB)
I am going to do all the panel lines on Unicron. I usually pose it with the legs misles down. I can't imagine getting buyers remorse on this figure. Can someone post a pic of the Unicron display base that came out a few years later. Perhaps I can make one if I can't find one.
Does anybody have screen grabs of Unicron's insides from the movie? I have a project in mind...
Marvin Lee Wrote:
> Can someone post a pic of the Unicron display base
> that came out a few years later. Perhaps I can
> make one if I can't find one.

Unicron Display Stand:

[www.bigbadtoystore.com]
Repro labels has custom stickers for Unicron and their "more detail" thing shows some screen caps from Unicron's insides: [www.reprolabels.com]

-Ginrai
Sanjeev mentioned the other Unicron that was 2 feet tall. Was this that awful prototype thing I saw years ago or something different. I know there are boots out there so if they do a Unicron knock off I hope they do it big like they did with the knock off of Bruticus.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gcrush Wrote:
> <Unicron in calithenics poses>
>
> Holy shit. Why do more people not do that in
> their reviews? It's so persuasive when you can
> actually see the figure you are contemplating is
> not an immobile brick. Glorious.

Maybe for you, ya action figure whore! I'm quite satisfied with my old timey robutts who are immobile bricks!

Yeah, I saw those Reprolabels when they came out. Never got around to getting them...but I loved the idea that they took shots directly from the movie to make 'em.

I *was* lucky enough to pick up one of those Unicron stands. They're really due for a reissue. They're aiight, I guess. The plastic is just barely strong enough to hold all that weight...once he's up there, he's kinda wobbly. 99% of the time, it'll suffice...but if you bump into the table the stand is on, or if you're in an earthquake-prone area (ginrai!), you're FUCKED.

But definitely make your own--planet mode looks DOPE on top of that bitch (yeah, maybe I'll take pic of that).

Anyway...here's how I have the planet wings positioned:

There's probably a cooler-looking way of doing it, but I haven't figured it out...

Marvin Lee Wrote:
> Sanjeev mentioned the other Unicron that was 2
> feet tall. Was this that awful prototype thing I
> saw years ago or something different. I know there
> are boots out there so if they do a Unicron knock
> off I hope they do it big like they did with the
> knock off of Bruticus.

Yup! Awful...but oddly lovable! But, yeah, it'd be DOPE if some bootlegger made a 2-foot version of this guy...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2010 06:06PM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - 196_9657.JPG (308.7 KB)
open | download - 196_9656.JPG (293.8 KB)
open | download - 196_9658.JPG (274 KB)
open | download - 196_9661-.jpg (189.9 KB)
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Anyway...here's how I have the planet wings
> positioned:
> [toyboxdx.com]
> [toyboxdx.com]
> [toyboxdx.com]
> [toyboxdx.com]
>
> There's probably a cooler-looking way of doing it,
> but I haven't figured it out...

I used to have the Armada version and I vaguely remember that you could fold the back planet shells over each other like a beetle. Its possible I used to swap the shells to do this. Still waiting for my 2010 Unicron...
I found the patent for the unproduced '80s Unicron online, but I think it's the smaller Takara prototype with the gun on the arm and the moon, not the Hasbro one linked above.

It would be super cool to make a bootleg of either one.

-Ginrai

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2010 03:52AM by Ginrai.
I like how Sanjeev did the wing shell. Looks beetle like to me and...just works. The other Unicron looks like a sumo wrestler.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Believe it or not, I finally *just* got this guy into planet mode. Yeah...he's a sloppy bitch. The parts-fit just isn't the same as on the Armada...and it's a lot more apparent while transforming him to planet mode.

Like Ginrai said, the orbital ring-wings are reversed, so with that outta the way, I proceeded to wrestle with the thing for a few minutes (whereas transforming the Armada takes barely half as much time). Those rings are a real bitch on this--they're pretty impossible (for me) to get PERFECTLY straight/symmetrical. But fortunately, I'm not anal about it...they look good enough to me.

But here's the biggest problem...the chompy gimmick. Complete shit. First of all, there's barely any return force in the "tusks", so when you squeeze them together, they kinda stay there and don't pop back out. Then, here's the best part: the zig-zag-cut shutters in the planet wings/shells that close when you press the tusks together were installed wrong on mine. On mine, they're fucking symmetrical (like they're both the right-hand or left-hand pieces, instead of one left and one right), so instead of the zig-zags meshing, they gnash into each other. You can tell from my pics below--just compare them to a shot of a normal working Armada.

Kinda bullshit about that...I'd much rather have THAT gimmick work than the stupid chest missile. Maybe there's a way to fix the fucking thing...

Anyway, even with these flaws that make the toy less fun to play with, I'd still take it over the Armada simply because of the looks (just less so). So...for those who haven't received theirs yet, adjust your expectations accordingly. [Oh, and why the FUCK aren't *any* other dicks reviewing this toy online mentioning these fucking flaws???]

Well, whatever...here are some pics! (And, yes, that's the crappy Unicron stand...sucks, but I guess it's better than nothing!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2010 07:58PM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - 196_9668.JPG (232.5 KB)
open | download - 196_9672.JPG (212.2 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Excellent...crisis averted.

The first thing I noticed when I discovered the bunk chompy mechanism was the screws on the back. So...I hacked apart my Armada planet wings and swapped out all the bits. I even replaced the mounting clip towards the middle of the partition.

Now, everything works like a charm--not only do the teeth mesh perfectly, but the mechanism's just a lot more smooth. Now, pressing together the tusks works a lot better and the teeth/doors slide back out with no problems.

Furthermore, the planet wings/shells hold together a TON more solidly in planet mode, which is nice because the tolerances on everything else are so fucking sloppy...stuff likes to pop apart a lot in planet mode. [The stock mounting clips had almost no strength to hold together...fucking tired-ass molds.]

Anyway, I was thinking of painting the grey Armada teeth/doors orange to match the 2010...but I actually kinda like the grey...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2010 10:42PM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - 197_9745.JPG (78.2 KB)
Unfortunately, I got the same issue on the teeth. :( Oh well.
So I did some Unicron surgery last night. A couple of the screws were so incredibly tight I could not get them off. One of them got stripped in the attempt. Boo.

I was able to get half of the jaws open and just swapped the spring between the Armada and the 2010 Unicron and now my jaws work like a champ. I also swapped the lower brackets with the Armada one and the shell holds together better in plante mode. If I can ever get the upper bracket unscrewed without stripping the fucking screw, I will swap that too. I also put my ring wings in super hot water and got them to be a little straighter so they don't like, sag in planet mode.

A bit of an improvement.

Also my chest missile launcher works fine now. Turns out I just needed to shove the missile in harder and now it works great.
There's gonna be a 2010 Primus re-issue but I have no idea of any changes were done since I don't own the original.

[www.robotkingdom.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh that definitelyl looks nicer than the Hasbro one. The more unified silver of the planet mode is perfect.

And the good thing about this is that there'll probably be very little mold wear because I don't think there was ever a second run of Primus.

I'll probably stick to my Hasbro version, though. I don't really *need* a Cybertron that transforms. I may end up just spray-painting mine silver while in planet mode! Hell, we bowled a Primus at the Summit! :P
[www.seibertron.com]

So even though they went through the trouble of making the eyes green, they still light up red.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, well...they're not really that green, y'know? I mean, they REALLY look exactly like those extreme closeups: just a hint of green in the best of lighting conditions...and that's it.

Anyway, my Unicron took a shelf dive offa the fuck-ass Unicron.com stand. Thankfully, it survived without a scratch, bouncing and rolling to safety (though somewhat ironically, it obliterated my War of the Worlds dvd laying on the table in front of the shelf!). But anyway, I'm about two fucking seconds from taking a hammer to the gods damned piece-of-shit stand.

Seriously, it's horrendous. Unicron's no sloucher--he weighs a few pounds. The seat and base are 1/8" acrylic, though...it doesn't take much at all to bend that shit. The pole is just a 1/4" rod. When seated, the whole things sways like a fucking palm tree. And the thing that annoys me the most is that while the base is in that nifty Unicron-silhouette shape, almost ZERO care went into the seat: it's basically just a flat platform, with a groove cut to accommodate the bottom pylon for the orbital ring, and just some prongs bent upward to mitigate the toy sliding forward or back.

So...

I'm thinking of getting some acrylic cut. How many of y'all would be interested in a rigid clear acrylic stand for planet mode? I'm thinking of a few one- or half-inch-thick sheets, heat-bent and bonded (how ever they do that). I'm guessing it won't be too expensive because there's not a whole lot of stock material involved. Dunno about the labor...

The nice thing is that I have, of course, limitless access to CAD, so designing a rig that will fit absolutely precisely will take little more than a lazy afternoon. Designing a seat that will *lock* that shit in place will be trivial.

Anyway, if no one gives a shit, I won't bother. But if there's interest, I'll definitely design it and price it out. Could be groovy...
Heh, I'd be in.
I'm going to stop in this place I pass by ,during the work day, someday soon, and see about some toy slip cases, ...and maybe that clear end table or armchair to stuff with vintage toy boxes. I'm sure there's something similar near you.
[www.plasticworksusa.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Good looking out. There's a place up in Malden I'll likely hit up, but it's mostly going to be me designing the thing, generating some technical drawings, and sending them out to various places for quotes.

If anyone happens to have any good experiences with any mom-n-pop acrylic fabricating shops, post 'em. I like keeping it local and small-time.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> I'm thinking of getting some acrylic cut. How many
> of y'all would be interested in a rigid clear
> acrylic stand for planet mode?

I'd be down with that. But you know what would be really awesome? If you designed a stand that could pull double duty for both planet and robot modes. My mind is already reeling from how glorious that would be...

Back when I was in the aquaculture business I knew I guy that had an acrylic bender he would use to fabricate protein skimmers for saltwater systems. It took him no time at all to make one for very little overhead. Probably because of the relatively simple geometric shapes that went into his design. Which brings up my point - I'd almost prefer a relatively simply tapering columnar design. It's simple, elegant, and cheaper to make. Kind of like this dirty photoshop, but all one piece using clear acrylic.

Oh, and Unicron arrived at my house. Impressions after a while...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2010 08:52AM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - 1000-104014.jpg (28.7 KB)
Well, nothing says mom n' pop like a website from 8 years ago.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Hehe...robot mode don't need no fucking stand! Unless, of course, you're interested in showing off flying-kick poses and such...in which case, you're outta luck! :P

Trying to keep this simple/cheap, bro. I'm hoping they won't cost more than around $20. I'll post some pics of what I have in mind in a bit...

Meanwhile, I tried to search for anyone other than Unicron.com (which is a pretty awful site, by the way) making custom stands. Couldn't find a damn thing. BUT I stumbled across this funny video review! I don't recall the clear pole--or the short one, for that matter--but if they *explicitly* say that the clear one can't support the weight of the toy, then why the fuck did they include it? And what the fuck's even the point of the SHORT pole???

fujikuro Wrote:
> Well, nothing says mom n' pop like a website from
> 8 years ago.

Haha...good eye! That makes me more inclined to work with them!
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Hehe...robot mode don't need no fucking stand!
> Unless, of course, you're interested in showing
> off flying-kick poses and such...

Naw, I was thinking of having something stuck up his ass to suspend him like he's floating in space. Which is how he's depicted in most of the movie, right?

As long as I'm at it, here are my early impressions of Unicron...

1. What are the chances that I'd get two overpriced Transformers within a week of each other that both have QC issues? MP Grimlock with the two goofed shoulders and Unicron with no leg missiles. I don't have a lot of transformers, but I feel like something over $50 ought to be immaculate. I'm talking to customer service to see about replacement missiles, but still - right out of the box that was a strike against the thing.

2. I always passed on the US releases of Unicron because they looked goofy. This one does not. It looks almost exactly how I would want it to. The orange seems a bit bright and monotonous, but still pretty good. I like it.

3. Again, having never messed with a different version, I'm surprised by how much PVC is there. The gummy upper shoulders, horns, and wings all feel like dollar store crap.

4. The major joints in the figure are all solidly clicky. Feels stable. Nice.

5. The wings are super floppy. Same goes with the shell pieces. They just hang and droop with gravity. Also, like some of you, the right and left sides were transposed on the one I got.

6. Unlike some of you, the triple-pronged dick missile launching mechanism on mine works well. It's goofy and makes the boobies bigger than they should be, but for a toy it's not a bad feature.

7. The paint wash is uneven in places and utterly absent in others. This figure needs a lot of touch-up in that respect. Boo! Hiss!

8. It's satisfyingly big. I never had any huge Transformers before, but I like the way this one feels. Solid.

9. The QC for parts fit in planet mode is complete and utter shit. The mouth-shell halves do not want to stay closed. (They feel really half-hearted, too. The Darth Vader Death Star had better shell-folding engineering than this thing. Makes me regret selling mine off a few years ago...) The leg-shell halves cannot sit flush against the mouth-shell parts. The stupid little moon guy does not fit securely in the cup holder - it just rolls right on out. The thing is a gaping, crappy mess that looks like someone gave up Transforming it about 85% of the way through. Gah!

10. On the plus side, the mouth-crunching bits seem to be reasonably smooth on mine. Or, as smooth as I would expect from a toy. I also like how Unicron's robot head is positioned right underneath his planet mouth. It's neat-o.

11. The box is shit. Not just regular shitty either. It's Shitty Mc Shitpants shitty. They really couldn't spring for a vacu-formed plastic coffin? I'd rather they shipped the thing in a plastic bag than waste the paper on that thin-ass piece of useless junk. Damn.

12. It's Unicron! He was in the same movie where robots said cuss words and some of them even had boobies. Rock on!

So... Yeah. I don't regret buying it. But I really hate the price. This is a $50 toy, tops. Is it worth the extra $100 to have your own personal Orsen Wells Planet Eating Robot? If you have the money to burn, sure. Still, it stings when you account for the suck-ass QC, half-finished paint, and general lack-of-love (red LEDs?!?!). Takara-Tomy should have stepped up the collector angle on this and included things like goofy little Galvatron or Rodimus gashapon, an add-on collar piece, or even a sound-chip. But whatever. At least we got a properly colored Unicron, right?
I forgot a couple of other points.

13. Unicron's ass looks naked. It's... Odd.

14. The paint on the face of mine is scratched up around the nose. Joy.

15. I love that this character has facial hair. How many other Transformers do, too?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gcrush Wrote:
> Naw, I was thinking of having something stuck up
> his ass to suspend him like he's floating in
> space. Which is how he's depicted in most of the
> movie, right?

Actually, ironically enough, when he transformed into robot mode, he pretty much stood on Cybertron for the rest of the movie! Still, not a bad idea. I just don't see how it could be pulled off without having to interchange the seat altogether on the stand. Hmmm...

Anyway, here are my thoughts regarding your thoughts:

1) That sucks balls, but given that my chompy doors were installed incorrectly on mine, it doesn't surprise me in the slightest. If you get the run around again from BBTS, I'll give you my missiles. Seriously. I will never use that gimmick.

5) Yeah...but we all knew that going in. The ring wings are there for movie-accuracy, but there was NO way they were ever going to be solid. The planet shell wings are, again, a compromise. I just leave 'em in the back and ignore them.

7) Yup. Overall, though, the robot looks good/consistent enough (for me) from the front. Hell...if I bought the Armada Unicron, you already know that some shortcuts in terms of looks aren't enough to turn me away from an official transforming Unicron toy.

9) This is the single BIGGEST fucking problem. The "mouth-shell halves" (the planet shell wings, as I've been calling them) barely held together on mine. It was almost a deal-breaker: I came DAMN close to returning the toy. Fortunately, I came up with the idea of swapping out the hardware on my rock-solid Armada...and now, I have no complaints. As for the other gaps, honestly, you just have to fiddle with the thing to get everything to align properly.

Oh, and I don't really bother trying to fit Dead End, the moon guy, into the planet wings' cup. Just seems like a dumb concept to me. Moons should orbit. In fact, I'm thinking of designing an extra piece into the stand to depict him floating alongside Unicron in planet mode...

11) Better than MP Grimlock's packaging. At least with the sheer size of Unicron's box, it says "$150 toy". MP Grimlock's gods-awful packaging says "$10 toy".

By the way, a Dracula collar piece like in the movie would be SICK.

14) That SUCKS.

15) Scourge. Alpha Trion. Anyone else?

Edit: Oh, more on #9...Unicron versus the Death Star TF or even Primus aren't really fair comparisons. Unicron was Hasbro's first shot at a planetformer in recent times. The Death Star and Primus came WAY later and assuredly benefitted from their experiences with Unicron.

The Death Star and Primus were straight-up stand-alone robot toys. Their only purpose was to transform into a spherical planets. Unicron was more ambitious because 1) they wanted to emulate the animation design (whereas the aesthetic constraints were much more slack for DS and Primus), and 2) they wanted something of a "playset" for the minicons, hence the flat back of the planet and all the minicon pegs on the satellite ring (or maybe because they couldn't work around the flat ass, they turned to the playset concept).

Either way, I think if they did a whole new Unicron design from the ground up today, it'd look a lot different and would probably be similar to the DS and Primus...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2010 03:40PM by Sanjeev.
Someone needs to take a shot of Unicron fighting the WST Dinobots.

Man I guess I got off lucky. My unicron was perfect with the exception of the chest missle whice I care absolutely "0" about. Go to the hobby store of craft store they have clear tubes that I bet can make the satellite orbit.

Wasn't dead end a stuntacon? Was there a storyline where he became Unicron's moon? Or did Hasbro just pull that name out of their ass and say "Well now he a moon not racecar." And scale wise he's be the second largest TF short of the primus dude.
>Wasn't dead end a stuntacon? Was there a storyline where he became Unicron's moon? >Or did Hasbro just pull that name out of their ass and say "Well now he a moon not >racecar." And scale wise he's be the second largest TF short of the primus dude.

Armada was a different continuity, hence the name reuse for a different design.

Sanjeev Wrote:
> Oh, more on #9...Unicron versus the Death
> Star TF or even Primus aren't really fair
> comparisons. Unicron was Hasbro's first shot at a
> planetformer in recent times. The Death Star and
> Primus came WAY later and assuredly benefitted
> from their experiences with Unicron.
>
> The Death Star and Primus were straight-up
> stand-alone robot toys. Their only purpose was to
> transform into a spherical planets. Unicron was
> more ambitious because 1) they wanted to emulate
> the animation design (whereas the aesthetic
> constraints were much more slack for DS and
> Primus), and 2) they wanted something of a
> "playset" for the minicons, hence the flat back of
> the planet and all the minicon pegs on the
> satellite ring (or maybe because they couldn't
> work around the flat ass, they turned to the
> playset concept).
>
> Either way, I think if they did a whole new
> Unicron design from the ground up today, it'd look
> a lot different and would probably be similar to
> the DS and Primus...

I didn't realize Unicron was their first planet-bot. I (foolishly) looked up some TV series clips of Armada(?) Unicron on Youtube. The toy is pretty much spot-on to that design, so I can see how that put some big constraints on the final product. That show looked awful though. Ugh.

I guess they couldn't justify the development costs on an all-new movie based toy. Maybe one day? Eh, probably not.

In retrospect the Vader-Star was a good toy. I miss it. What about Primus?
Forgot to mention a couple of updates. Replacement missiles are on the way. Good.

And I noticed more paint scratches on Unicron. Which led to the realization that a good bit of his orange chunks are painted as opposed to cast in the proper colors. For example, the upper arms and planet teeth/jaw thingy. Those are grayish-white plastic painted orange. What's up with that? Lame.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gcrush Wrote:
> I didn't realize Unicron was their first
> planet-bot.

Yup. Ambitious...but if you're gonna try something for the first time, you're not gonna fuck around with Primus or Death Star...you're going straight for the throat with Unicron.

> I (foolishly) looked up some TV
> series clips of Armada(?) Unicron on Youtube.

Bad move, Neil.

> The
> toy is pretty much spot-on to that design

Actually, I really think it's more like they designed the toy, THEN the animation model. I mean, the bizarre back of the planet mode with the mangled legs, ass, and crotch are fully visible in the cartoon--why would they just show that sloppy crap?

> In retrospect the Vader-Star was a good toy. I
> miss it. What about Primus?

Primus is kinda forgettable...but mostly because there's no real nostalgia factor involved, I think. I'm trying to remember what Primus looked like in the comic and I don't recall it matching up all that well (certainly not as well as Unicron).

Primus IS a smarter design (obviously a more spherical planet mode, with retractable pegs to stand on), but it's a bit smaller and there are little annoying things like the shoulder missile launchers (that just look DUMB on something that's supposed to be planet-sized) and weird feet.

I really wanted to pick up the Death Star just because it looked so fun. But then I remembered that I didn't like Star Wars...
Wreck-Gar has a beard!

-Ginrai
Gcrush Wrote:

>9. The QC for parts fit in planet mode is complete and utter shit. The mouth-shell halves do not want to stay closed. (They feel really half-hearted, too. The Darth Vader Death Star had better shell-folding engineering than this thing. Makes me regret selling mine off a few years ago...) The leg-shell halves cannot sit flush against the mouth-shell parts. The stupid little moon guy does not fit securely in the cup holder - it just rolls right on out. The thing is a gaping, crappy mess that looks like someone gave up Transforming it about 85% of the way through. Gah!

You can get it flush and connect super solid. There are 2 thick grey pegs that goes into the orange back waist. The trick to do is make sure you have the hip ratchet (very tight) bent back to the farthest click possible, and also make sure the soft rubber shoulders raised up the farthest in planet mode to give enough clearance for the legs & the pegs to reach the waist peg holes. It locks flush & nicely on mine, so sturdy as if I can kick the ball around without coming apart. Hope that helps.

I managed to find another collector to swap a piece of shell, to remedy the teeth problem. The little moon (mini con) connection is a joke though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2010 10:33PM by mpchi.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> I really wanted to pick up the Death Star just
> because it looked so fun. But then I remembered
> that I didn't like Star Wars...

The Star Wars / Transformers crossovers are so obnoxious and gaudy that I can't help but love them. I don't want to own them necessarily. But I love the horrendousness of the concept. Vader-Star was the pinnacle of this concept. But taken as a stand alone, it was a really good toy. Solid, awsome gimmicks, totally self-contained, and came with its own little stand of fold-out legs. They could easily have put a different head on it and you'd never know it was a Star Wars dealie.

Ginrai Wrote:
> Wreck-Gar has a beard!

Yes! Awsome. Three bearded robots in the film. I love this.

mpchi Wrote:
> You can get it flush and connect super solid.
> There are 2 thick grey pegs that goes into the
> orange back waist. The trick to do is make sure
> you have the hip ratchet (very tight) bent back to
> the farthest click possible, and also make sure
> the soft rubber shoulders raised up the farthest
> in planet mode to give enough clearance for the
> legs & the pegs to reach the waist peg holes. It
> locks flush & nicely on mine, so sturdy as if I
> can kick the ball around without coming apart.
> Hope that helps.

I can see that parts that are supposed to connect, but they just won't reach each other without me holding them. When I get 'em in place and let go they just pop out again. It's probably because of either the hips or knees. The detents in the ratchet joints don't allow mine to sit fully flush - they stop just short of that. So if I hold the legs, no problem. But when I let go the tension on that joints pushes them out again and throws everything outta whack.
Gcrush. Unless the knee & ratchet is somehow flawed, it could click all the way to get the leg connect flush. I had the same problem you encountered earlier, then realized I can give the hip bend over just one more click (that thing is super tight) and does the trick. Also, when its in ball shape, the rubber shoulder can slight up a lot higher, to the point it just barely touch the grey rotating leg panel, without being pushed or squashed. The knees are easier to bend all the way, as its not as tight and you can see how far it can go.

I realized that my Unicron's 'saturn ring' has one tip having the wrong half, cause the ring can't close up on one end in planet mode. Can't believe I got so lucky, not only getting the bad teeth, but a bad 'ring' as well. Good that I bought from BBTS, and they can send me replacement parts.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well I'll be a...

mpchi, you nailed it, dude.

I think your description is a tiny bit confusing, but I got what you mean. There's a peg on the back of each grey lower leg that connects to the robot's back (orange holes) in planet mode. You kept saying "waist" and that threw me off--it's really his back, right? Anyway, I pushed up the shoulders as far as they go, made sure the hips were clicked back a full 90-degrees (as far as they go), then I saw how these pegs/holes align. Tough to see with all the shit in the way, but once I pushed everything together, the whole rig's tough as a fucking bowling ball!

VERY weird how I never even noticed any of this on the Armada. Everything just sorta clicked together perfectly with zero protest. Definitely more finagling with this 2010 Unicron, but now my planet mode's absolutely seamless and tight as a drum.

And to celebrate, I'm posting pics of my stand design thus far. :P

I made the central support in the middle translucent just to give a better idea of how the parts go together.

I might redesign the connection between the cradle and the support to make it so that you don't need to glue the parts together. The idea was actually to have TWO interchangeable cradles--one for the planet and one for the robot mode's crotch...but the robot idea isn't looking so hot. I'd have to double the height of the support and I just wouldn't trust the cradle for Unicron's nuts to hold the toy without serious fear of him toppling. Sorry, Gcrush.

Anyway, big ups to Ginrai for giving me the idea of fashioning the base after the Matrix. We were thinking of doing the silhouette of Cybertron, but with just the outline of the planet with no detail inside, it would end up looking pretty nondescript. But whatever...the Matrix is bitchin'. Here's a plan view (damn blue background makes it a little tough to see):

What's kinda sweet about it is that you can remove the stand parts and actually fit your fingers into the holes! Yes, I made it a true "human-scale" Matrix of Leadership! Yes, I'm a fucking nerd. :P

The support and base will be either CNCed or laser-cut 1" thick acrylic, and the cradle will be cut and heat-bent 1/4" acrylic. I'll start calling around to different places next week to price this thing out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2010 02:15AM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - 007.jpg (15.4 KB)
open | download - 008.jpg (11.1 KB)
This stand is a thing of beauty.

-Ginrai
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer