Age of Extinction Grimlock (And Some Other Shit)

Posted by Ginrai 
[www.comicbookmovie.com]

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
That looks way too straightforward to be a Bayformers design. Maybe he doesn't really transform in the movie or something?

Wait, when I look at the picture, there's no leg articulation, is this a simplified legends mold? At first I thought it was a deluxe...
Not sure. They did say they were simplifying the toys for the kiddie line.

-Ginrai

Optimus riding Grimlock!

According to Hasbro's panel they are making a massive Age of Extinction Grimlock about the size of Unicron. No idea if it's different than the image above.

And here's a huge Grimlock standee thing.

-Ginrai

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2014 05:08PM by Ginrai.
Is this huge Unicron-sized Grimlock?

Hoping that belly in that last pic is mistransformed.

Or is THIS the huge Grimlock?

Wait, THIS must be the huge one. Compare scale to the person in the background.

That is a pretty fucking big dinosaur toy.

Not Big Foot, but Optimus riding Grimlock! I have to say, Optimus riding Grimlock totally pushes my buttons. I love the idea.

This appears to be the huge Unicron-sized toy with Optimus riding Grimlock. COOL. Looks like there's a cage on his back that opens up and that's where Optimus goes.

I don't even know what this is. Massive Lego Grimlock or something? If you thought robot modes in the first three Transformers movies were too busy, check this shit out! What am I looking at?

Here's some other guy riding some other Lego Dinobot. I love that "humanoid robots riding Dinobots" is a fucking thing now. KEEP IT UP.

Wait, you changed Slag's name to Slug? He's not a slime-trailing thingy.

Oh yeah, here's more traditional Legos. And they are Dinobots combining into a big guy. 2014 is apparently Year of the Dinobot. And we have another Dinobot name! Scorn? I guess.

A regular old toy of Slug.

Two-headed, two-tailed pterodactyl, huh?

Some other guys, including a feathery raptor! Yes!

At this point I'm mostly sold on the large but not super huge Grimlock. The one with the nice paint job. I'm guessing it's leader-class? The gimmick of being super huge and having Optimus riding him may sell me on Unicron-sized Grimlock, though. Dunno. Depends on how Dinobot-crazy I get.

-Ginrai

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2014 05:29PM by Ginrai.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I certainly don't hate the idea of humanoid giant robots riding on top of even gianter dinosaur robots...but the execution of that idea is so far failing to impress me. I already hate anything Bayformer-related...and I'm sure there are plenty of fanboys who hate the retconned Dinobot designs...but just from a pure toy perspective, I'm just not feeling anything pictured above... :/

I'll keep an open mind, though, and continue to follow all these releases. Who knows...one or two releases above may turn out to be gems...
I am definitely 100% anti-Bay, but these designs at least seem less busy than the older ones. Some of the toys might be cool. I'm trying to keep an open mind.

-Ginrai
That first one looks almost anime-styled, and could pass for some kind of anime robot... I think it's the small head. But I like it.

But yeah, even with the big one the design looks too straightforward to really be in the movie. I mean, where are the whirling gears? When that one moves, I can probably tell what the arms and legs are doing, which is a big no-no in the movie universe.

Blame the UK for the whole Slag/Slug thing.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, the robot mode definitely looks anime-esque...and not just because of the samurai-ish motif.

Anyway, even though the color doesn't seem to match what's seen in the Bayformers 4 trailer, it definitely looks like the same design. Pretty confident this is the movie character we're seeing...
GRIMLOCK WOULD NEVER LET OPTIMUS RIDE HIM! Based on all the cartoons, comics, games etc. He is too prideful. But Megatron would never bow down to the Fallen either so Bay doesn't care about the characters at all. And just like a dumb ass I'll go see the stupid movie just to have something else to bitch about. Just like the 3rd Dark Knight movie. I know it's going to be bad going in.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Don't do it, Marvin. You're just voting for more Bayformers with your dollar.

I don't see ANYTHING "Grimlock" in these toys, so I'm actually okay with them. Hey, it's Optimus Prime riding a robot dinosaur that turns into a samurai!
Marvin Lee
GRIMLOCK WOULD NEVER LET OPTIMUS RIDE HIM! Based on all the cartoons, comics, games etc. He is too prideful. But Megatron would never bow down to the Fallen either so Bay doesn't care about the characters at all. And just like a dumb ass I'll go see the stupid movie just to have something else to bitch about. Just like the 3rd Dark Knight movie. I know it's going to be bad going in.

Uh... you did see the first few movies, where Bumblebee is a first class warrior who can't talk, Scorponok is basically a drone, etc? And you expect them to characterize Grimlock correctly?
Wow, check it. Early review of Voyager Class AoE Grimlock

-Ginrai
Here's an early review of Leader Class Grimlock.

I dunno guys, the proportions are a little weird on the dinosaur mode, but I'm feeling the chrome ass robot. What do you think? The Voyager Class Grimlock looks way better to me still.

-Ginrai

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2014 02:03AM by Ginrai.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Can't go wrong with chrome...but the proportions on both the robot and the dino are way not right to my eyes.

Also...I have difficulty even calling this thing "Grimlock". I don't hate that it's different--it certainly doesn't take away from the many other awesome Grimlock toys out there. It's just...NOT Grimlock to me.
Eh again the Michael Bay versions have always had almost nothing to do with the originals so why bother being upset they don't look like the same character? Jetfire was never an old man with a cane that turned into a Blackbird.

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
Right, but Bay's Jetfire was a shitty toy either way...so it was easy to ignore. This could *almost* be a cool toy (I mean, a giant robot...riding on top of a giant robot T-Rex!?)...so I'm paying a little closer attention. If it indeed sucks, then whatever. But if it's cool, then I wouldn't mind throwing down for something as nutty as this.
Eh I actually think the smaller scale Jetfire is cute. I hope one of these dino-ridin' Grimlocks comes out looking decent!

-Ginrai

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2014 08:16PM by Ginrai.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh, maybe the smaller simplified ones are better. The Leader looked like a shitshow. And while we're at it, I just watched a review of Voyager AoE Grimlock, and it's definitely proportioned better than the Leader.
As counterintuitive as it seems, sometimes bigger is not better!

-Ginrai
I bought that leader Jetfire, mainly because it purported to combine with the leader Optimus. I didn't even make it through one transformation, the thing was a mess of parts.
Amazon's got Buy 1, get 1 half off of the AoE toys, so it tempted me enough to bite. There were only two voyagers listed, so I got fake classic Optimus and Grimlock, eschewing the leader class toys after seeing reviews stating that the chrome on Leader Grimmy flakes off easily. Also got the two deluxe dinobots (on a separate order, because they will take the discount off the lowest two items), but wasn't interested enough in another bumblebee to get hound.

I guess if you really want to spend 70 bucks you can get two leaders (Optimus and Grimlock) for a good price too.
Got and opened deluxe Slag/Slug. He's actually a cool little guy, he's not just a dinosaur limbs become robot limbs kinda transformation and the dino head basically splits in half to become the shoulders. Lotsa pegs to, of varying quality but still. And apparently he can ride on voyager Grimlock, which I have yet to open. I still think neither mode looks like a Bayformer, so I'm curious to see how he'll be in the movie.

On a side note, these are the only toys I've seen, and I got them on amazon. Target's got nothing, TRU only has an aisle of the kiddee toys... I'm not sure if I just missed them or if they just haven't been put out locally.
Sounds pretty rad! I am definitely looking forward to some Dinobots, but I haven't seen any for sale locally either and don't want to pay online prices. I'll keep my eyes peeled, though!

-Ginrai
How To Ride Your Dinobot: Chapter 1 Chapter 2 Chapter 3

-Ginrai
I picked up Evasion Mode Prime - the Voyager-sized Optimus with the original cab style - and I'm actually quite impressed. As far as I know, it's a completely new transformation for that form factor, and it really works; there's barely any kibble or other weird spare parts, and everything locks together quite nicely, especially considering the complexity of the movie design.

My only complaint is that it suffers from the same general lack of paint and other detailing that seems to be a problem for all of these new releases. I haven't seen any pictures of a TakaraTomy version, but I'm sure that it'll look much better than the US release.

I think I'll be steering clear of most of this line, though – they seem to be really going for a lowest-common-denominator product this time around. Most of what I've seen in stores so far looks poorly designed, cheap, and generally nasty. That's okay, I suppose; this way, I can continue to scoop up all of the (generally terrific) Generations releases without having to worry about shopping for a second line as well.
Inverarity
I picked up Evasion Mode Prime - the Voyager-sized Optimus with the original cab style - and I'm actually quite impressed. As far as I know, it's a completely new transformation for that form factor, and it really works; there's barely any kibble or other weird spare parts, and everything locks together quite nicely, especially considering the complexity of the movie design.

I think I'll be steering clear of most of this line, though – they seem to be really going for a lowest-common-denominator product this time around. Most of what I've seen in stores so far looks poorly designed, cheap, and generally nasty. That's okay, I suppose; this way, I can continue to scoop up all of the (generally terrific) Generations releases without having to worry about shopping for a second line as well.

Agreed on the Evasion Prime. It's a nice fun toy. As for me, I've felt like the Generations toys over the past couple years have been really very hit or miss.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Just watched a review of Evasion Prime...I gotta admit, it's pretty awesome:
[www.youtube.com]

They did a great job of emulating the G1 truck mode. And like you said, the all-new transformation sequence is pretty killer.
Evasion mode Prime is the second one I opened, and it is a cool little toy (unfortunately it's priced as a voyager... :P). The only things I hate, besides the Bay Optimus design, is that the see through windows look terrible because of the red pieces inside, and that gun that he doesn't even hold by the real handle.

I've seen some voyagers and leaders in the wild now, but very rarely any deluxes... it's mostly the kiddyfied versions with action features.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2014 09:59PM by fujishig.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, the clear windshield kinda sucks given all the internal kibble. Also, the side-view mirrors are stupidly-huge...though I'm not sure they're required for transformation. I actually love the way he holds the gun--just like the G1 toy! I just wish it were black...and stored internally in alt mode...
Ah, I didn't realize the homage to G1 with the gun...

Anyone go in for the leader class ones? People seem to hate the flakey chrome and feel they're inferior to the voyagers, so I picked up the voyager Grimlock instead, but I'm interested in hearing opinions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2014 02:10PM by fujishig.
Leader OP is pretty cool, actually. Nice fun transformation. Simple enough for a kid to transform. I've not messed around with Leader Grimlock though.

More serious than thou
We went to a local Toys R Us here this past weekend and I saw some of the TF4 figures in person for the first time. The Dinobots are cute - very much like an update to DinoZaurs. However, because of TEH MARKET forces, they're priced absurdly high in the local currency - about $25 for a medium sized carded figure like the Purple Triceroplops. I won't be getting any, but I can see the appeal. They're so gaudy-good.
Gcrush
We went to a local Toys R Us here this past weekend and I saw some of the TF4 figures in person for the first time. The Dinobots are cute - very much like an update to DinoZaurs. However, because of TEH MARKET forces, they're priced absurdly high in the local currency - about $25 for a medium sized carded figure like the Purple Triceroplops. I won't be getting any, but I can see the appeal. They're so gaudy-good.

Plus the bot modes all have this goofy medieval knight aesthetic going on, with curly pointed toes and helmets and weapons that match. It's very un-Bay-ish, and far more like something you'd see out of villains in the Brave series. In some cases there's a bit of a later Beast Wars feel, if you were into that stuff.

More serious than thou
I thought Slag looked like something out of Dark Souls.

So are these guys (besides Grimlock) actually in the movie, because like I said before, even Grimlock's robot mode doesn't look like a Bayformer.
The movie is trending around 15 percent on Rotten, better see it whilst you can...CRASH...BOOM...BAAANG!!!

[www.rottentomatoes.com]

Oops...just went back up to 16!!!!

Bring your ear muffs!
I'm 99% sure I'm not seeing this in theaters, so I read through the following spoiler-riffic FAQ:
[io9.com]

It's not as bad as that, is it?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer