New Jetfire Looks Cool

Posted by Ginrai 
Yeah, that's one of the complaints about that Daca not-Skyfire figure. The legs are almost completely white, and some of the fans have bitched about it, but it's toon accurate, and that's the point of the toy.

More serious than thou
My worry about the Daca one is it's a diecast transforming toy from a first timer and it looks kind of rickety... could be a disaster, or could be really cool, totally dependent on execution.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
I think that Sanjeev is right. The prototype picture has had it's contrast jacked up. Look at the shadows in the wings on his back. There isn't really that much difference between the proto and the newer version (I assume it is the production version). Yeah he lost a little red, and Ginrai is right there is less red on him in the show...anywho...Still hate the red chrome. To me vacmetalized parts are like makeup on a lady. It should be subtile and accentuate what is already there. If there is too much used improperly it just looks whoreish....Oh and it should make sense....which it doesn't in this case...What I mean is that neither the original toy nor the cartoon has shiny metal, so why is it there? Weird....Strange design choice.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I'm feeling that analogy.

And isn't vac-metallizing a bitch to strip? You'd have to strip it ALL if you wanted to repaint those bits...otherwise your paint may not adhere... :/

DaCa's not-Skyfire's looking better and better...
Sanjeev
I'm feeling that analogy.

And isn't vac-metallizing a bitch to strip? You'd have to strip it ALL if you wanted to repaint those bits...otherwise your paint may not adhere... :/

DaCa's not-Skyfire's looking better and better...

Well, I've paid for a DaCa Kronos. I'll let you know how it is once it gets here.

More serious than thou
Another new Jetfire, this is from the Hero Mashers line, which I believe is meant to have simple transformations for children.

Still kinda cute.

-Ginrai
Ginrai
Another new Jetfire, this is from the Hero Mashers line, which I believe is meant to have simple transformations for children.

I don't know if they transform, but all the Hasbro Mashers figures - regardless of the property - have swappable limbs. So you could stick the Hulk's arms of Jetfire there. Which is, uh, good? I have no idea what Hasbro is going for there.
The one above reminds me of those short body builders who keep building up their upper body to look bigger only to make their legs look smaller.
I JUST saw Peaugh review of Kronos aka Skyfire and I have to say he looks exactly like the G1 cartoon. I even think his scale is correct with the rest of the MP line. I think this is a perfect example of "Skyfire" from the G1 cartoon. I think the Hasbro version is a modern update on Jetfire, the Valkyrie version of the toy we had to represent Skyfire. I always wanted a Skyfire so I'm getting the Kronos.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Wow...good looks, Marvin. I hadn't seen peaugh's not-Skyfire review. In fact, I didn't even know the toy was out!
[www.youtube.com]

I have to admit, I'm pretty impressed. The toy seems a *little* floppy due to the sheer size and weight of everything. The overall engineering is fairly basic...but very effective (meaning you have a toy that looks good in both modes, has good articulation...AND won't take an hour--and a PhD--to transform).

Besides the slight floppiness, I would've liked to have seen some landing gear...especially gear tall enough to accommodate the gun being mounted on the bottom. Oh, and it doesn't seem like the gun locks in very sturdily in jet mode (though in robot mode, it seems perfect...along with those articulated hands!). Also, there's more parts-forming than I'd like to see...but I guess it's only a few bits (and they store just fine in both modes).

Overall, I think the size and amount of diecast make up for any of those flaws! I'd love to see him next to a G1 Jetfire...
The lack of landing gear seems like something they went anf said after finishing the tooling "Hey I thought you were doing the landing gear... Who me? Nah I thought you were doing it." Oh well... Also it seems like it needs a base to put in flight mode.

If only there was a smart guy on this forum who could create a clear flying base. Maybe someone who had a past history of creating a base for... I don't know... an evil giant robot planet? If there only was such a person... hm.
On TF Source the damn thing has already been sold out on pre-order! Peaugh review just came out. Damn I guess the people have spoken and it's a hit.

AT $169.99 it's in the MP range but seems priced correctly.
Still available at BBTS, though... so tempting.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Marvin Lee
The lack of landing gear seems like something they went anf said after finishing the tooling "Hey I thought you were doing the landing gear... Who me? Nah I thought you were doing it." Oh well... Also it seems like it needs a base to put in flight mode.

If only there was a smart guy on this forum who could create a clear flying base. Maybe someone who had a past history of creating a base for... I don't know... an evil giant robot planet? If there only was such a person... hm.

LOL

I know, right? The lack of landing gear or even a flight stand is a pretty big fuck-up and just makes it seem like someone just...forgot!

Well, I'll say this: IF I get one of these guys, I'll almost assuredly design a stand...but it won't be acrylic like the Unicron one. It'll be 3D printed--either by myself or via my Shapeways store. While the Unicron was an interesting experiment, I'm NOT trying to go through all that shit again! ;)

Damn...$165 at BBTS? That really seems like a steal for a toy like this!
If only I wasn't broke, I might finally bite on this puppy.

-Ginrai
The fandom seems to be really split on the "parts-forming" aspects of this toy. Doesn't bother me much, as some of that has been present all the way back to the G1 figures, and some of the modern Japanese toys I get are parts-formers. The landing gear thing seems like the weird part, of course. Seems like an easy add-in that could just have been fitted in there without too much trouble. Guess we'll likely see a third-party add-on for a third-party toy again.

More serious than thou
I really don't see this as much as a parts former. Basically it's just the backpack. The original "Jetfire" had you adding all kinda of armor and clip and stuff. I could see a third party adding some things that were from the original toy like the red forearm guns and the like but again we never ever had a "Skyfire" and short of both using white and red there was nothing in the original toy that was like the G1 cartoon. An ever better example is Rachet and Ironhide. The original toy was sooooo far removed from the cartoon version that up until a few years ago we never had a true representations. Years ago this forum use to really bash 3rd party companies for copyright infringement but in my opinion now with the Skyfire/Kronos, the Rachet/Ironhide Bruticus, Shockwave, Galvatron, and Predaking just to name a few, it's the 3rd parties that are keeping the hobby alive for us collectors. Im wainting to see the compare review between Citizen Stack vs. MP Ultra Magnus. This trying to decide between a known toy manufacturer and a third party upstart was never even a consideration just a short few years. Dacu you can have my money if you keep making figures I've always wanted.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, I don't think it's so much that there's too much parts-forming with Kronos (don't forget those little intake-things on the shoulders...and, of course, the back panel, itself, as well as the main thrusters). I think it's more that it doesn't need to be there in the first place! It just seems like lazy engineering to me...just like the lack of landing gear. With such a relatively simple transformation sequence, I really think they probably would've been able to find a way to keep everything together if they'd tried a little harder...

Anyway, I agree: it's been fascinating to see how Hasbro has formed almost an uneasy alliance with the 3rd party companies. They're almost symbiotic now. The 3rd party companies benefit from Hasbro not litigating (obviously) and from Hasbro backing away a bit from the collector market (except for the MP line). And Hasbro benefits from not having the pressure from collectors to make more high end shit (because bigger, more complex toys are getting SUPER expensive to produce in China...at least at Hasbro's scale of production). They're free to focus on the cheaper lines. And everyone seems to win.

As for MP Magnus versus Citizen Stack, I personally feel there's no contest here whatsoever. Stack seems solid enough...but MP Magnus looks SO much better!
Sanjeev

As for MP Magnus versus Citizen Stack, I personally feel there's no contest here whatsoever. Stack seems solid enough...but MP Magnus looks SO much better!

Well, the Citizen Stack thread on TFW2005 seems to indicate that the toy has a ton of problems, and that some people managed to get one without issues, but that the QC is pretty bad. That's par for the course with any KFC product, as far as I can tell. The few things I have from them are definitely an indicator to not buy their toys. I only wish they were better, because I really want that Sencho Barbossa!

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh dang. I just watched the peaugh review and he seemed to have gotten one free of QC problems. Kinda sucks to hear there are so many lemons out there. I guess another reason to go with the MP Magnus...
Guess I'll be laying off the Daca Skyfire now. $1600+ on the car just kinda does that to you. Apparently I'll have the option later to go with whatever it is that Fanstoys comes up with for the same character, if I'm still interested at the time. Right now I'll focus on the much less expensive official MP toys.

More serious than thou
I watched that Daca Skyfire video and wow that transformation is complete and total bullshit. Miserable. And the jet mode doesn't even look that great. I mean the jet mode was always dorky, but I wanted it to look like THAT KIND OF DORKY. Did the reviewer guy just not transform the feet all the way for jet mode or does it really look that bad?

P.S. you can preorder Hasbro/TakaraTomy's new Jetfire on Toys "R" Us now.

-Ginrai

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2014 02:10AM by Ginrai.
Sanjeev (Admin)
What didn't you like about the Kronos transformation sequence? Seems okay to me...

Anyway, Generations Leader Jetfire's up at BBTS as well.
Kronos is available at tfsource again, and they're in stock (BBTS is still pending).
Well the 47 MIN review of KRONOS by Optibotimus is out and HE WAS NOT HAPPY!

Bottom line (Spoiler Alert- It broke on him on the review.) Basically his review can be summed up this way. The Robot looks G1 Cartoon cool and is perfect for the Masterpiece shelf as far as looks, but as quality goes. Don't but this shit! If BBTS wasnt one of his sponsors he might have really gone ape. Peaugh must have gotten a good one and he got a bad one QC issues???

Here is the link:
[www.youtube.com]

Here's the thing. Like dating a crazy chick. You know it's a bad idea but the sex is so good you do it any way. I still WANT it. Just to be on the shelf. I might transform it once but it looks so much like the Skyfire I always wanted. I will be getting the new Hasbro one too because it works as a perfect bridge between the old robot and the G1 cartoon, something I think all the classics line do so well. My question is now... What will I do with my original classics Jetfire? Seems kinda redundant now and it DID look kinda off.
BTW: Hasbro's Jetfire is no longer listed for pre-order on TRU. WTF?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Damn...well, I guess Optibotimus' figure is more like what most folks are getting...if there are, indeed, a lot of QC complaints about these going around...

Oh well.

As for the Hasbro Jetfire, I don't think they're gonna be too hard to get once they're out...
I dunno dude, at least here Classics Jetfire was fucking impossible to find at retail.

-Ginrai
And here's a video review of Generations Jetfire. The transformation is a little more involved and weirder than I imagined. Cool. Pretty happy, but very excited to get my Japanese version without all the chrome.

-Ginrai

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2014 07:03PM by Ginrai.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Damn, that actually looks pretty impressive! But, yeah, I'd totally go the no-chrome route. Not only garish, but super-fragile...
I think I updated the other thread, but since there's talk of Kronos here... mine came out of the box with a busted ankle. Luckily (?) this is a common enough problem that replacements are being sent to retailers. On the advice of the retailer I took it out and transformed it to make sure nothing else was broken, and man the telescoping legs take a scary amount of force to transform. I might open it up and try to remove some flash, but most likely I'll just leave it in robot mode just like not-Menasaur and his sharp edges of doom (which kinda defeats the purpose, but hey, most of my other transformers are in one mode 90% of the time).
Man, I really wanted Kronos to be good but it sure doesn't seem like it is.

-Ginrai
Man I really want to like Leader Jetfire, but that Chrome is just so awful. Looks like I'm about to pay more for less.....Someone make me feel better about this....

Okay, I watched the video review and there is a lot to like about what I saw. The robot mode is pretty awesome, and I really like that they obviously were trying to capture a more modernized version of the origninal Valkyrie. One huge design fail however, is the fact that the rear landing gear appear to be just wheels that hang off the bottom of the legs. They don't retract. That just seems a bit lazy to me...blah blah blah, $$$ and all that, but really you went to the extent to make an opening cockpit (something the orginal didn't have) and you just slapped some wheels on the bottom and called it a day? Also, I am a little disappointed the feet don't clamshell like the original, but it isn't a deal breaker...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2014 11:49AM by fel9.
I got my Generations Jetfire yesterday and I fucking love it. My favorite Transformer in years. I like this even more than the Masterpieces I've gotten. Yeah the rear wheels don't retract, yeah the vacuum metallized chrome is unnecessary and makes Jetfire look like a Christmas tree, and yeah, I the hollow spots are a little bit of a bummer, but this is still a really fucking great toy. Fun to transform, not overly complicated, not dumbed down. Looks awesome in both modes. The Classics Jetfire looked like shit in jet mode and decent in robot mode, but this looks great in both. I am really excited for the Japanese version which will not have the damn chrome. But man, take off the armor, take off the mask, and put Classics Jetfire's combined gun in his hand and you have one sweet ass modernized Skyfire. When the Japanese one comes out, that one is gonna be my Jetfire and the US one will stay Skyfire. The extra paint apps on the Japanese one and just red plastic armor will make it all look more Jetfire-y and less Skyfire-y. Either way, great toy. Yeah, I mean, I am a bit of an easy sell since I love Jetfire/Skyfire, but no seriously, this is a rad toy. Doesn't even have a bunch of bullshit hanging off the bottom of the jet. I'm working on my review for CDX but the short version is this toy rocks.

-Ginrai
Jetfire recolored/retooled as Thundercracker shown at NYCC.

Thank you
Wait, Optimus Prime is replacing Silverbolt in Superion?
CLASSICS LEADER CLASS JETFIRE MASK STORAGE.

If any of you wanted to know a MUCH better place to store your Leader Class Jetfires mask I found one and it's way better than sticking it on that stupid gun like the directions say.

1. Remove the red chrome thrusters on back of Jetfire.
2. Take mask and turn it where the antenna are facing down.
3. Slide mask down between the nose cone and the back of the robot. Mask should be facing up and tip of mask touching the black panel under the nosecone.
4. Put chrome thrusters back in place.
DONE

Mask holds securely and isn't even visible unless you know you are looking for it.

You're welcome!

i tried to tell Peaugh, Optibonimus, and Emego. Emego was the only one to respond. No one has posted this great update.
I picked up the Takara version of "Leader" Jetfire for a song (less than retail for the US version). Easily one of the most fun mass-market Transformers to come out in a long time. Transformation is simple enough, articulation is robust enough, power-up options are plentiful enough. The designers, while clearly forced to insert tons of hollow spaces for cost cutting, still managed to leave a lot of room for third-party folks to step up with add-ons. In addition to the recently announced lower arm and thigh upgrades I'm positive that we'll see both more G1-ish armor-up parts as well as a cartoon-ish shuttle backpack thing. Because the design team practically engineered it that way. Shit, they even scored the tailplane so's you can trim it down to be more "accurate". Amazing!

Leader Mrs. Jetfire is good, so good that it should be more than enough to satisfy even the most dour old pucker-puss tranny-fan. Hell, it was so good that it made me dust off my old TBDX password and log-in to shout my opinion at the void. Won't you do the same?
That's really good to hear, G. I've been reading a lot of complaints about the quality of the toy, which I've been eyeying since the first pics (the complaints involve certain hinges being too fragile, especially during transformation, and the quality of the plastic). I may need to reconsider.
The hinge thing is only a problem for people who don't understand the transformation and force it anyway. Basically just make sure when you're going to jet mode you swing the hips all the way around before shoving the chest part in.

-Ginrai
gingaio
That's really good to hear, G. I've been reading a lot of complaints about the quality of the toy, which I've been eyeying since the first pics (the complaints involve certain hinges being too fragile, especially during transformation, and the quality of the plastic). I may need to reconsider.

I hadn't noticed any QC issues. (Nor had I read about any.) I've got both Leader Mrs. Doubtfire and Yammy's 1:60 VF-1S in front of me at the moment. They probably weigh about the same, but thanks to its hollowed-out parts the Good Missus appears much more substantial from every angle. Likewise, it is far less scary to transform (I never read the instructions). And it's, like, a quarter of the price. Also - I think, but haven't tested it yet, that one could stick a Diaclone pilot in Mrs. Debtfire's crotchpit...

I very rarely feel like flip-flopping a Transformer back and forth between modes, but I've man handled Mrs. Jetflower several times now out of some odd compulsion. Keeping the current cost-cutting market realities in mind, I can't see how someone could make a more robust toy that apes the original G1 aeoplane and the G1 cartoonman at the same time. It's quite striking in its chunkyness and clicky joints. I've definitely thrown away more money on less. (Not that I can't afford to be so consistently stoopid.)

If I was forced to nitpick the figure, I'd fuss about the thigh swivels (make them clicky, too!) and the feet (give them ankle pivots!). And it's about the same size as MP Starscream (make it Giant Uncle size!). But, that's all.

If you get one, go for the Takara version. The box is reusable, and you won't need to strip any chrome or buy any reprolabels.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer