New Jetfire Looks Cool

Posted by Ginrai 
I'm digging it. I still want an Masterpiece Skyfire, but I like the looks of this guy.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Attachments:
open | download - 1901318_10201321792632816_896361201_n.jpg (42.9 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)

Not bad! Now, is this an official Has/Tak release? Or is it 3rd party?

I thought Classics Jetfire was a great toy, so hopefully this new one will have the same functionality and build quality. I think the new one looks better, and if it happens to be a little bigger than the Classics one, it could be a killer toy.
This is an official Hasbro product. It's a leader class toy so it will be WAY bigger than the Classics one. I thought the Classics one was neat, but the Valkyrie-inspired helmet was so ridiculously out of scale it made the whole thing look super silly and the plane mode was kind of a dog. This looks like a pretty big improvement. I still want a Masterpiece Skyfire that slavishly imitates the cartoon, but this is pretty rad.

-Ginrai

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2014 10:40PM by Ginrai.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Leader? Fuck yes. Sign me up.

Funny to note, I showed the pic above to my buddy and he *immediately* dismissed it because the jet mode isn't accurate at all to the cartoon look. He thought it was dumb: they just took the G1 Jetfire toy's jet mode and gave it the G1 Skyfire cartoon design's robot mode. He thought it was almost criminal to mix the two designs!

I guess he'll be waiting for a pure cartoon-accurate Masterpiece with you, Jeremy!

Oh...yeah, the gun's kinda wack.
Well Generations is not ABOUT being accurate to the toon, it's about being a modern reimagining. Like I said to you privately, Sanjeev, I'm pretty sure the jet mode is supposed to be G2 Jetfire's jet mode -- a NATF navalized F-22 type thingy. I will get this AND TV accurate Masterpiece Skyfire, thanks!

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ginrai
Well Generations is not ABOUT being accurate to the toon, it's about being a modern reimagining. Like I said to you privately, Sanjeev, I'm pretty sure the jet mode is supposed to be G2 Jetfire's jet mode -- a NATF navalized F-22 type thingy. I will get this AND TV accurate Masterpiece Skyfire, thanks!

Oh, true, true...we never questioned the intent of this particular toy line, but he just sited it as the immediate reason he wouldn't want this toy. And incidentally, the toy-style jet mode versus the cartoon-style robot mode doesn't bother me (though if given the choice, I *would* pick the cartoon-style jet mode).
Oh yeah did some digging online. Here's the NATF:

Yeah it was going to be derived from F-22 tech but would sort of be its own plane. Generations Jetfire definitely fits this profile way better than a regular ol' Raptor. Kind of too bad the NATF never got put into production.

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
Guess the variable sweep wing wasn't necessary?

Anyway, that looks pretty close to what they were going for here. It's purdy!

No hate intended towards modern Macross toys, but I'm really looking forward to a big, nice-looking transforming jet toy that won't be hard to find, cost hundreds of dollars, or be particularly fragile...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2014 01:31PM by Sanjeev.
I mean maybe it's not NECESSARY, but variable geometry is sexy. I'm definitely looking forward to this toy!

-Ginrai
Hmm. Just when I'm no longer collecting "Classics."

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Haha...well, it being "Leader" class, I think, sets it apart. I mean, aren't all the CHUG toys essentially the same scale/class?
No. No they aren't. :) But these two leader class ones are the largest ones yet.

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
Wait--"these two"? So that's this new Jetfire...and what else?

Anyway, at first I thought they were all at that generic G1-ish scale (like the Classic seekers...which happen to be almost the exact same size as the G1 seekers)...but then I remembered the huge Powerglide they did...and Silverbolt...and...
There's also a leader class Megatron coming that's apparently G1 styled in robot mode but transforms into a tank.

-Ginrai

Jetfire plus Windblade, the new female Transformer. I gotta say her geisha thing sort of bothers me. I realize that TakaraTomy is a Japanese company, but I wonder how much this design is Hasbro-initiated. It kind of smacks of exoticism.

I think Jetfire is mistransformed in this picture. The backpack looks a lot lower in the leaked pic.

-Ginrai

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2014 01:50PM by Ginrai.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Man, that new Jetfire pic makes him look a lot less impressive. All that back-kibble looks pretty shitty.

I'm curious to see this new Megatron. I could definitely go for a G1-styled robot, even if it turns into a tank, not a gun.

And a new character cooked up for the (often terrible) comics is of no interest to me. As for the exoticism thing, I tend to agree...but I just see it all falling under the "male fantasy" female action hero thing we discussed before. Human or robot, it's always an impossibly hot female kicking ass with very little personality or humanness...
But most of that back stuff detaches, right?
I am pretty sure Jetfire is mistransformed in that promo picture. Look at the top of the jet in the original pic: looks to be a double joint and I think they are only using one of the joints. The two sets of wings are meant to line up. Transformers are notorious for being incorrectly transformed in promo pics. But yes, the red booster pack thing comes off, as does the armor on the arms and I'm ASSUMING the armor on the legs? Interesting how the boosters are ribbed for her pleasure.

-Ginrai

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2014 08:48PM by Ginrai.
More Jetfire!

Jetfire upskirt!

Them boosters be shiny.

So that's what he looks like properly transformed!

I guess the arm armor becomes sort of missiles? Weird.

And here's what I've been looking for, jet mode profile. Not TOO bad.

Cockpit! It has chairs and everything.

Are the vertical stabilizers meant to be up when the boosters are on? Hmm.

Booster detail. Definitely not similar to the original Macross detail, but I think it still looks neat.

Head with helmet on. Pretty beefy chest. Also the photographer needs to fucking learn how to use a camera. Macro mode, holmes. Incredibly shallow field of focus is doing you no favors.

These pics shows how is shoulders work. Neat.

Full body shots.

Close up on the head!

Gotta say, while I still really want a cartoon accurate Masterpiece Skyfire, I am feeling this toy.

-Ginrai

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2014 04:32PM by Ginrai.
Oh hey, even more pics.

This shot clears up the mystery of how he transforms and how his chest looks very little like the jet nose.

Annndddd...

The mystery of Jetfire's back is solved.

-Ginrai

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2014 05:31PM by Ginrai.
And official nice pictures at last:

Man we super need a G2 Cyberjet Jetfire recolor and a ridiculous orange tiger striped Hooligan recolor.

I wonder if this toy will be able to hold Classics Jetfire's gun, since this gun sucks. Most TFs have 5mm ports... I also wonder if it will be able to mount Classics Jetfire's boosters. The connectors look similar... but size could be totally off.

-Ginrai

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2014 05:10AM by Ginrai.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Wow! LOTS of pics to drool over.

First off, are you sure those latest official pics are that "nice"? I mean, it still looks like the backpack is mis-transformed! :P

Those Toy Ark pics are great, though! I'm definitely getting excited for this release. Even if the jet mode isn't cartoon-accurate, I'll be more than satisfied if the overall presentation is on par with the original G1 release. I remember very fondly getting the original toy--one of the few big purchases we could afford back in those days...so anything to bring back those feelings would be a cool nostalgia trip!

I know it'll never happen, but how cool would it be if this toy were packaged in the same style of window box the original toy had? And, of course, if the new toy were the exact same size as the original (and just as solid and toyetic), it would perfect the analogy!
I meant nice in the sense of "not a tiny piece of shit off of an ebay auction". Like they are high enough res you can actually figure out the transform and stuff. I'm really hoping it's the same size as the original Jetfire/Valkyrie! That would rule!

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
I also hope it's got a GERWALK/Guardian mode!

Some folks online appear to be annoyed that the cockpit switch-a-roo is such a simple "cheat". I dunno--it was kind of obvious from the get, so I feel like I can forgive it...but I suppose they *could* have done a more creative job in hiding the cockpit not in current use.
Eh, they can do a fancy cockpit in Masterpiece Skyfire! I'm totally fine with this.

-Ginrai
I'm looking forward to this. And I'm guessing that we'll see some 3rd Panty gun and booster upgrades, too.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I forget: did Skyfire in the G1 cartoon ever have a Guardian/GERWALK mode? I keep hoping to see official pics of one for this toy...then I realized it may not really be intended for this character...
Gcrush: 3 Panty, huh? Gettin' Skyfire some lingerie? Haha! I would probably buy upgrades but I would prefer ones that made him look more like the TV show! Give us that big mono-booster he had in the cartoon for his back!

Sanjeev: Sort of. He kind of did a thing where he landed as a jet with legs once. No arms. And he sort of floated in the air half-transformed while he dumped out his passengers once.

The episodes in question are Day of the Machines and A Plague of Insecticons respectively if you want to watch them on Netflix or whatever.

Actually that picture brings up a point: maybe that blue "fake cockpit" underneath the jet mode is actually cartoon accurate.

Looks like the fake canopy is where he unloads passengers or something. Yeah, I think I'm cool with this.

Also enjoy hideous bootleg classics Jetfire.

-Ginrai

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2014 05:25AM by Ginrai.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Hmm....okay, cool: the ventral canopy is legit. That's cool!

As for GERWALK (or at least half-GERWALK), it doesn't appear that the toy can accomplish this. :/ If you look at the underside of the jet mode, you can see that the legs are reversed most likely because of the cockpit reversal. So while you might be able swing the legs down, you'll get the right leg on the left side and vice versa.
This Hasbro interview means everyone can relax: [www.bwtf.com] It's not the toypocalypse.

-Ginrai
I'm not really feeling the red metallic Christmas tree ornaments color though. It looks like those cheapo toys you find in Walgreens.

The Transformers will return after these messages...

Speaking of Walgreens. My son got these Cyber boxing robots (Remote controlled versions of Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots for $29.99 and those things are FUN AS HELL!

We now return to The Transformers
Not a fan of the chrome here, either, but it's on the parts I'm going to take off already, so whatever. Also probably there will be a TakaraTomy version without it.

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
Admittedly, I wasn't too fond of the red chrome either...

I'd prefer something that fit in with G1 Jetfire on a shelf. Not a deal-killer though.

-Ginrai
Hmm losing paint from the prototype, huh?

-Ginrai
I wish they would lose the horrible vacmetalized effect. Bleh....
fel9

No kidding. They don't stick chrome in any place important on toys anymore, but they do on this? Makes NO sense.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Heh...y'know, I think it's more just that Hasbro's early marketing photos are kinda notorious for having their contrast levels severely fucked with! There are obviously SOME missing operations (the red cuff around the feet, the black bits on the knees, and the red line not going across the whole chest), but I blame overzealous-versus-lazy Photoshopping for most of the difference between the pics!
Sanjeev (Admin)
fujikuro
fel9

No kidding. They don't stick chrome in any place important on toys anymore, but they do on this? Makes NO sense.

^^
Oh, I totally agree with this. Completely bizarre.
Yeah not feeling the chrome, but over all I still like the toy a lot. I went and looked at the cartoon again and having less red is actually more accurate to the TV show, so...

-Ginrai
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer