GI Joe-TF mashups

Posted by Sanjeev 
Sanjeev (Admin)
Didn't know where the fuck else to post this...but I gotta admit: the upcoming SDCC exclusive Sky Striker painted in Jetfire colors is looking SICK:

More here. Ravage and Bludgeon are aiight, I guess. Hound seems kind of absurd: an army jeep...painted to look like a Transformer army jeep. Good job, guys.

Oh, and I'm pretty confident there are more Snake Eyes toys than fucking Mazinger Z and the RX-78 Gundam combined.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2013 03:23PM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - 1370453687000-Jetfire-1306051418_4_3_rx1443_c1920x1440.jpg (173.3 KB)
I'm very unexcited by this. I'd rather they have made either pure TF or pure Joe exclusives. All this franchise cross-dressing is teh suck.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Haha...so I take it you WEREN'T one of the folks psyched about the previous Skystriker done in Starscream colors? For some reason, that release did nothing for me...but something about the colors and markings on this Jetfire are really appealing. Of course...that could just be my love of the character...!
I love cartoon Skyfire. Jetfire always just seemed a bastardization of that VF-1 design, not that we've talked much about the VF-1 :).

Anyway, I'm more interested in a DX-sized transforming toy version of cartoon Skyfire (there were some prototype pics from some unknown third-partier floating around a while back).

And yeah, Star-Striker did absolutely nothing for me. Like, why do I need a Cobra Commander holding a Megatron gun?

And as much as I liked the Skystriker toy and the improvements that were made, what finally turned me off of it in the end were the lack of a two-seater cockpit and the fact that the landing gear/wing mechanism was not improved or altered from the original toy.
gingaio
I'm very unexcited by this. I'd rather they have made either pure TF or pure Joe exclusives. All this franchise cross-dressing is teh suck.

I will buy your Ravage-walking-Baroness and Bludgeon.* I can pay you in cash or Snake-Eyes duplicates.

* Seriously. I have the Cobra Commander holding Megatron and it's awesome.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I'm interested in the animated Skyfire...and I'd love for that 3rd party version we saw come to fruition...but I never was IN LOVE with that design. Even when I was a kid, I knew there was some shenanigans going on, given that the toy was named different...and it was clearly a "Veritech" from Robotech! But the Jetfire *toy*...man, dumbed down 1/55 Valk or not, that toy was THE SHIT. You had that joint, you were instantly the most popular kid in school! LOL

But anyway, as far as GI Joe's concerned, I was always a Rattler man (and to a lesser extent, the Raven). Never was that interested in the Sky Striker.

So where's my Powerglide-colored Rattler, Hasbro!?
Sanjeev
But the Jetfire *toy*...man, dumbed down 1/55 Valk or not, that toy was THE SHIT. You had that joint, you were instantly the most popular kid in school! LOL

No joke--the only kid in my class who had Jetfire had behavioral problems and transferred from a special school. Ever since, I've associated that toy with uncontrollable bursts of violence.

Sanjeev
So where's my Powerglide-colored Rattler, Hasbro!?

How about a Rattler-colored Powerglide?

Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh damn! That'll sour ya on any damn thing, no matter how good! Yikes.

Heh...which Powerglide toy is that a knockoff of?
Here's a review of Rattler-Glide:

[www.battlegrip.com]

X-Transbot is the maker, but the quality of this mold is pretty sketchy.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I know I've seen that before, but I totally forget: is that mold of Powerglide completely bootleg? Or did it start out as an official toy that got knocked off?
I think it's a KO of the Jizai resin kits that were released some years back. The Super Alloy Wheelie is basically an upsized, chogokin version of Jizai's Wheelie, and this is an upsized copy of Jizai's Powerglide. X-Transbot released a regular Powerglide, and then recolored it for this version. So it's a repaint of a KO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2013 04:28PM by gingaio.
Well I'm neither a huge GI Joe fan nor Transformers, though I collect some great toys from each. I'm more a Microman guy and like stuff that's made in my favorite figure scale though. And I've always liked the design of one particular purple TF dude, so I just HAD to have this:

[flic.kr]

Especially as I've been kicking myself after not getting Starscream-striker as it's a FREAKING MICROMAN-SIZED DIACLONE JET. ;)

That said, I really like the look of the latest batch of SDCC Action Master vehicles. Not sure I'll shell out, though. However those pods on the back of Jetfire are way too small for that jet. The weird proportioning puts me seriously in mind of this...which I admit he'd make a fine companion piece to:

[flic.kr]

The funny thing is, I've sometimes thought of repainting it in Jetfire colors. XD
Sanjeev (Admin)
Y'know, Bry, sometimes I think you're the Tomax to my Xamot. No, we're not the same entity like the symbiote we converse with in this thread...but some sort of separation at birth...

microbry
And I've always liked the design of one particular purple TF dude, so I just HAD to have this [Shockwave-colored HISS tank]

Despite my slight preference for Transformers over GI Joe, neither series is my favorite or even remotely my collecting focus. It just so happens that there's simply so much modern--and accessible--TF product that it makes it fun to engage in conversations on this board...even if I barely buy any of the toys. Still...that's how things are *now* for me as an adult collector. That doesn't change the fact that both series' influences on my childhood were considerable.

Anyway, I always loved the 80's classic ARAH* HISS tank design...but that new version kinda looks like ass to me. I'd rather they had taken the original HISS tank, just slightly mod the turret to look like Shockwave's barrel, and recolor the thing appropriately... But that's just me.

* Is there a term for GI Joe's "G1" continuity??? or would that be "G2" given the earlier generation of dolls?)

microbry
I've been kicking myself after not getting Starscream-striker as it's a FREAKING MICROMAN-SIZED DIACLONE JET. ;)

...However those pods on the back of Jetfire are way too small for that jet. The weird proportioning puts me seriously in mind of this...which I admit he'd make a fine companion piece to [the Matchbox Robotech Super Veritech]. The funny thing is, I've sometimes thought of repainting it in Jetfire colors. XD

NOW you're talking! In fact, you might have inadvertently sold me on the Skystrike-fire!

While I love this whole cross-franchise circle-jerk (and I mean that in the most affectionate way possible), I can't get over the Skystriker being fundamentally an F-14-like aircraft...NOT an F-15. So in that sense, even if you paint one up in any of the Diaclone F-15/TF seeker schemes, it'll never seem right to me. (I know! I'm so fucking picky, right?? :P I think a better alternative here would be to pick up one of those generic 1/18 scale F-15 toys ya see in TRU's...and just repaint that thing.)

On the other hand, if the Skystriker's supposed to be an F-14, it could make a convincing Veritech...since the VF-1 is loosely based on the Tomcat, right?? And I've always wanted to pick up a Matchbox Super Veritech...just never got around to it. So pairing the Super Veritech with the upcoming Skystrike-fire would be a killer way in my mind to bridge GI Joe, Transformers, and Robotech--and I guess by extension, Diaclone, Microman, and Macross!--in the same-ish unifying scale.
I did this Jetfire repaint of a Matchbox (Playmates) Veritech a while back:

It came out okay, but I'm definitely standing in line for the GI Joe version at Comic-con. I think the problem with the boosters on the Joefire is more their position than their size, but I'm surprised that they look as authentic as they do.

Best, Ken-A
You guys aren't thinking this through. Those are the first time we've gotten a properly designed Skyfire backpack. DOES THIS FIT CLASSICS JETFIRE'S BACK?

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Ginrai
You guys aren't thinking this through. Those are the first time we've gotten a properly designed Skyfire backpack. DOES THIS FIT CLASSICS JETFIRE'S BACK?

We still haven't gotten a properly designed backpack yet. Skyfire's backpack should look like this:

That thing's got the boosters split into two pieces, held together by the center piece. It's not really that different from the Jetfire or Classics Skyfire VF-1 fast pack.
The part between the Macross-looking boosters is the right shape, though!

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
True. The fast pack's definitely a funky blend. But ultimately, because this is an F-14-based toy (the Skystriker design), I kinda see this as more of an homage to the Jetfire toy than the Skyfire cartoon model...so I'm cool with how the fast pack looks. Also, I don't mind the bad proportions on it: it's missing all the other super armor anyway, so making the boosters on the back smaller seems okay to me.
Ken-A, that is beautiful and exactly what I was thinking of doing on more than one occasion.

Ha, I guess my true identity as Veejnas has been uncovered...

I prefer the classic HISS as well, but I have to say it's really easy for me to visualize how this one could transform into Shocky. Also it happens to fit the Action Master Shockwave inside the canopy with room to spare, which is a cool trick. If anything, this design reminds me more a bit of the old Micronauts Terraphant (as did the original HISS but less so...I've often thought of modding one into a Terraphant scout vehicle), so that might be more of the appeal for me.

Agreed, I did think it was a shame it was an F-14 for Starscream, but I felt it was a reasonable compromise. I really wanted to get one and then mod a Microman/naut into a Diaclone pilot and toss him inside. Ah well! But clearly it's a better match for Jetfire. It's kind of amusing how far they went toward making it look Valkyrie-like. And as I pointed out on Robits on Facebook, they got the chest stripes reversed--that's Hikaru's colors on there...!

Still all this mash-up talk puts me in mind of the old HISStank.com custom contest:

[www.hisstank.com]

[www.hisstank.com]

[www.hisstank.com]

[www.hisstank.com]

[www.hisstank.com]

[www.hisstank.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2013 07:48AM by microbry.
Sanjeev (Admin)
microbry
Ha, I guess my true identity as Veejnas has been uncovered...

Har!

microbry
I prefer the classic HISS as well, but I have to say it's really easy for me to visualize how this one could transform into Shocky. Also it happens to fit the Action Master Shockwave inside the canopy with room to spare, which is a cool trick. If anything, this design reminds me more a bit of the old Micronauts Terraphant (as did the original HISS but less so...I've often thought of modding one into a Terraphant scout vehicle), so that might be more of the appeal for me.

Oh, I didn't even notice the Action Master Shockwave in your pics. Now, is that a vintage one...or did that figure actually come with the Shockwave-colored HISS? Anyway, I can see the Terraphant connection--especially with the modern HISS design--but it's still kind of a stretch for me. Without that head/turret from the Terraphant, you just don't get that elephant look/feel...

microbry
...they got the chest stripes reversed--that's Hikaru's colors on there...!

Ha! I didn't even notice that! :P Been so long since I've seen or handled a G1 Jetfire...I just assumed the livery was the same as the Hikaru -1S.

Also, those GI Joe vehicle customs were pretty interesting. The Raven-Skywarp mash-up was especially killer!
The Terraphant makeover would take a bit of work, but I think it could be done. But yeah, not just as-is though.

The Action Master is in fact vintage. It would have been a cool inclusion though! You could pretend it was a big Headmaster even! Heh.

Yeah, they generally swapped the black and red paint ops on the original Jetfire from the Hikaru VF-1S.

The Raven/Skywarp is probably my favorite of those too. Yes, it's basically a bot with a plane on its back for the alt mode, but that didn't stop them from making so many real TFs that way before or since. :) I'd love to own one.

An acquaintance of mine took a suggestion from me and built a Supreme Starscream/Microman Battle Cruiser/Biotron (Transfer Fortress/Robotman) mashup (he's done other conversions of TFs to Microman piloted bots before this and such): [d.hatena.ne.jp]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Damn, that Supreme Starscream/Microman Battle Cruiser/Biotron mash-up is intense! Heh...I think I like seeing Diaclone-Microman-TF mash-ups more than GI Joe-TF ones...
I was disappointed when I missed out on the Starscream Skystriker at SDCC two years ago. I needn't have worried. Cobra Stickers Starscream Skystriker set is a better than perfect replacement:

The only painting I had to do was to spray the tail fins and thrust nozzles blue, and voila: G1 Starscream! Of course, I'm still going to get up at oh-dark-thirty to try and get that Jetfire Skystriker at SDCC. :)

Best, Ken-A
Sanjeev (Admin)
I'm not familiar with this "Cobra Stickers Starscream Skystriker set"--is it a non-exclusive version (dumbed down?) of the same SDCC Starscream Skystriker you originally missed out on?
Sanjeev
I'm not familiar with this "Cobra Stickers Starscream Skystriker set"--is it a non-exclusive version (dumbed down?) of the same SDCC Starscream Skystriker you originally missed out on?

It's just a sticker set sold by a third party for the mass-release Skystriker. They have a lot of different sticker "mods" for the Skystriker, including several Macross and Transformers sets:

[www.cobrastickers.com]

I'm sorely tempted to get the Roy Focker VF-1S sticker set, but I'd have to buy another Skystriker ....

Best, Ken-A
holy crap....yeah i just ordered a sky striker and a sheet of the foker stickers....i couldn bring myself to say no...gijoe macross transformers.....ahhh...too much crack....
Sanjeev (Admin)
Haha...awesome!
Ain't a real exclusive unless it's being sued over:

[www.tfw2005.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Harmony Gold sure makes it hard to be a Robotech fan, huh?
fel9
holy crap....yeah i just ordered a sky striker and a sheet of the foker stickers....i couldn bring myself to say no...gijoe macross transformers.....ahhh...too much crack....

Looks like you got the last one available, as Cobra Stickers appears to have removed all of their Macross-y Skystriker sets from their catalogue! Can't be a coincidence; I wonder if HG sent CS a C&D letter?

Best, Ken-A
Sanjeev (Admin)
That wouldn't be surprising. Someone should ask Cobra Stickers discreetly. And, of course, post their response here publicly! :P

Man, all this mash-up talk makes me want a Powerglide-Rattler (the Rattler was always my favoritest GI Joe vehicle!).
So I got my SDCC Jetfire Skystriker in the mail. Holy shit, I did not understand how large these things are. I assumed it would be about the size of the old non-transforming Matchbox Valkyrie. WRONG. WAY BIGGER. The booster part is totally unsuitable for any kind of custom Skyfire because it's so fucking gigantic. So much for that idea! Guess I will just enjoy it as a big huge jet.

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ha!

Have you stickered him up yet? That process seems a little daunting to me.
I have not stickered it yet. It sure seems to me like some of those stickers are never going to work right because they are going on curved surfaces not meant for stickers, most obviously along the jet's nose. I think I may go easy on the stickers and just use the Macross-y ones? I am POSITIVE I do not need 35 NO STEP stickers all over the fucking thing.

-Ginrai
It just came to me...why doesn't Hasbro just BUY Harmony Gold USA and just shut them up once and for all. How big of a comapny can Gold be? Likely chump change for Hasbro. Done and done.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, the Robotech franchise is probably worth a lot...so I wouldn't say "chump change". And why bother trying to buy them if all this is over one lousy design? I doubt the profit they make offa any official Jetfire/Skyfire toys would amount to the cost of buying HG...
Con exclusives never bring in a lot of profit in the first place. Small runs are always like that. Furthermore, Harmony Gold is involved in importing media from a bunch of different countries, not just Japanese cartoons, and rumor has it they have their nose in the real estate market as well. They are a private company so no one outside of the company really knows what kind of coffers they have. They could be a lot more financially stable than you realize. Furthermore, Tatsunoko, the company that Harmony Gold licenses Macross from, is owned by Takara-Tomy these days anyway. This is sort of a roundabout left hand biting the right hand situation. If it was worth it to get the international Macross rights over to Takara-Tomy and by extension Hasbro, Tatsunoko's owners at Takara-Tomy would not have re-licensed Macross to Harmony Gold until 2021 like they just did a few years ago. I think it's pretty clear they are happy with the current status of the rights.

Perhaps Harmony Gold has made them money consistently over the years through merchandising and the occasional animated project and that's worth more than the big risk of some other American company briefly releasing DVDs or blu rays based and then not releasing any merchandise ever, like the vast majority of anime licenses in the US.

-Ginrai
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer