Metroplex

Posted by gingaio 
From TF Source--

- The US version will be white, the Takara will be more true to the white and coloring of the G1 Metroplex
- The Japanese version will include two guns, the US version just 1 gun
- It is believed the Japanese version will feature chromed/metallic paint apps the US will not, but this is not confirmed. When we asked Takara did not say yes or no.

Before you laugh at the 'more white' remark, note this pic that someone on the TF board posted:

Not to be racist, but some whites are better than others.

I've always been an import snob anyway, but the two guns + possible chrome apps sealed the deal. Even with EMS shipping, and assuming the exchange rates remain stable all the way through August (please, lord), HLJ should be cheaper than BBTS by about $30. Already preordered.

***Yes, I know I could buy two Hasbro Metroplexes for that price and get two guns that way, but then I wouldn't be ballin'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2013 03:53AM by gingaio.
Sanjeev (Admin)
LOL

Yeah, Jeremy and I were talking about that yesterday. So the chrome parts are most likely the thighs and face--similar to the G1 toy--based on this image below (though I forget where the image comes from):

I dunno...the additional grey on the limbs looks kinda hot! But on the other hand, those gats look pretty wack. I most definitely would NOT pick the import version just on the merits of the firepower. I'm *sure* some 3P group will come up with a more-than-suitable selection of weaponry for this behemoth. I'd love to see another building that docks next to the city mode convert into a massive rifle...or a solar panel array that converts into a sword. Maybe a bridge that converts into...a space bridge? ;)

Anyway, I'd make the domestic vs. import choice based on just how the overall colors compare (in both modes). The pic above--IF accurate to the import version--looks a lot nicer to me than the nearly-all plain white US version displayed at Toy Fair:

Then again, I was joking with Jeremy about how I'd rather just buy the cheaper US version and repaint him to match Brave Max's colors (because I love that classic Diaclone red & blue scheme). But while I was searching for that possible-import pic, I bumped into a rumor that Metroplex could be repainted into Metrotitan:

That's close enough for me!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2013 11:41AM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - takara_metroplex.jpg (260.2 KB)
open | download - metrotitan_zps05495dea.jpg (174.1 KB)
As gigantic as that thing is, though, how much will the shipping cost boost the price up even more beyond Hasbro's price?
Sanjeev
I'd love to see another building that docks next to the city mode convert into a massive rifle...or a solar panel array that converts into a sword. Maybe a bridge that converts into...a space bridge? ;)

Sweet ideas. A space bridge would be nice, but as it's a Decepticon device, it should probably go with the updated Trypticon, if they ever make one.

As far as accessories, I would have been happy to have modern interpretations of Sixgun and Slammer.

It's nice they're including Scamper:

And I'm sure 3rd parties may pick up the slack on the other two helpers, but it would have been nice if HasTak had just gone ahead and made them.
Cool stuff with this big guy upcoming!

Just as another point of reference, play thru, or look up YouTube vids of the FOC gameplay , where ***SPOILER!!***
Metroplex is found, awakened, and then comes lumbering out into a stretch of the game, to be used for smashin'.
Pretty cool. Gives an idea of coloring, weapon use, and movements, that go with this new toy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2013 11:04PM by repairtechjon.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ha! I've totally done that, Jon! When I first heard about this toy--originally billed as an "FoC" toy--I looked up how the character looked in the game and found a huge (~30 minute) play-through starting with Prime walking around the city and being led to Metroplex's "spark chamber" or whatever. Then there was a dope cut scene where he wakes up, and a bunch of game play I mostly fast forwarded through...though watching him lumber about in the background, perform "air strikes" you--as Prime--call down, and smash these big gun emplacements was kinda fun! I won't spoil how it ends, but I definitely enjoyed it.
I'll probably just get the Hasbro version of Metroplex, shipping for the Takara one alone is enough for me to accept some of the plainess about it. I'm also sure there will be 3rd party companies making all sorts of accessories for it like larger guns and stuff. Still it looks massive but my only concern is that there looks like there is zero ankle articulation which means unless you pose it in the stick up the butt stance it will be standing on the inside of it's feet. That's fine for a 6" figure but a toy that's 2' tall you would think they would want the most secure stance possible which means flat footed with strong ankle ratchets.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Haha..."stick up the butt stance"!

Well, that blurry shot of the potential import version shows him standing with his feet spread a bit. Doesn't look terribly unstable...as long as the hip joints are strong. But it'll be interesting to see regardless...

Oh, and his proportions aren't THAT far off from a classic Jumbo's...so there's nothing wrong with the stick up the butt stance! :P
True, it's just a little beef I have with figures not having enough ankle articulation, it looks like their skating on the insides of their feet lol. But your right it will depend on how strong the hip joints are, if not I can see this thing doing the splits if you try posing the legs to far apart.
Daaang.....

Scamper

Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh, that's awesome how faithful he is to the G1 version!

Definitely excited for this release...
Sanjeev (Admin)
To complement gingaio's G1-to-Generations comparison shot:

And MOAR pics:
[www.tfw2005.com]
[www.tfw2005.com]

(All sent to me by Jeremy)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2013 03:46PM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - wee-man.jpg (87.3 KB)
Someone let me know when they make a similarly sized Scorponok.
Sanjeev (Admin)
If only...

I think a Trypticon would be more in-keeping with Metroplex, but I'd take a 2' Scorponok any day.
Sanjeev (Admin)
More pics of the Takara version of Metroplex have come out. Here's a crappy 'shop job I cobbled together:

Still not sure it's worth the price hike, but I can see folks digging the Takara version enough to preorder it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2013 01:16AM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - neo-metroplexes.jpg (234.1 KB)
Yeah at some places there only charging around $150 for the Takara version compared to around $125 for the Hasbro one. Of course that doesn't include shipping but considering the Hasbro version might be hard to get it might be worth it for a better paint job, an extra gun, and the hassel of searching for one at your local stores.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Y'know, I actually relish the idea of having to chase down a toy I'm actually pretty excited about in a real brick & mortar store across town!

But yeah, there were certainly some surprisingly cheap preorders for the Takara version. Besides the slight improvement on the paint, you get an additional gun...but it's the same as the first. Meh. It'd be cool if it were a whole other weapon...but then again, if they made molds for it, they'd just include it with the Hasbro version.
I like the fact that it's the same gun...a good homage.

Anyway, here's the first review I've seen:

[www.tfw2005.com]

There's one thing that's probably going to be a dealbreaker for me, and it's the comment about it being top-heavy and prone to leaning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2013 01:54AM by gingaio.
Sanjeev (Admin)
gingaio
I like the fact that it's the same gun...a good homage.

Oh, great call! I never had the original toy, so I'd forgotten about the twin guns. Still, I just don't like the look of the new version. I'd rather have the G1-style design...but then again, I'd easily accept the new ones IF they shot missiles!

gingaio
There's one thing that's probably going to be a dealbreaker for me, and it's the comment about it being top-heavy and prone to leaning.

Agreed. Also the reviewer made the base mode sound pretty floppy. Definitely concerning...but I'm hoping he just got a lemon or some sort of pre-production/pre-QC piece. I'm sure we'll hear PLENTY of reviews regarding the figure's sturdiness (or lack thereof) before these things hit our local stores...
Well, judging from the pics, it looks like he's got an official version, just ahead of everyone else:

[www.tfw2005.com]

Much as I've been looking forward to this, I wouldn't be heartbroken if it turns out to be gimpy. The MMC Predaking looks to have potentital for being BEST TF EVAR, assuming the toy actually turns out well. And given how pricey it is, I wouldn't mind just devoting my limited financial resources to that monstrosity.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I was gonna post this in the Maximum Boom Fort Max thread, but I forgot there was already a separate Generations Metroplex thread here...

Anyway, Jeremy sent me this link the other day:
[www.youtube.com]

That chrome face is looking KILLER!

Is it worth the price hike? Probably not, in my opinion...but it's still looks dope.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Okay, I just saw the pics of the SDCC Metroplex. It looks like the "perfect" release. Like, 2 guns, chrome face, AND chrome thighs? That's kinda amazing...especially if they're gonna ultimately be cheaper than importing the Takara version (which still lacks the chrome thighs). Now I'm wondering if the Botcon ones were the same SDCC version...or just the regular US retail version. The latter would be kinda weird: they favor someone else's con...but not their own??

Anyway, I found this review. (It's mad long, but it's comprehensive. It may be a tad slow, but there's no annoying digressions...and thankfully, the reviewer isn't your average insipid internet clown in love with his own voice. <peers suspiciously into mirror>)

Looks like the reports of his robot mode being a little rickety are mostly true. Still, it doesn't look TOO bad. I think I could live with that. The sound effects are a bit lackluster...and even though it sounds like the same voice actor as in the vidya game, they didn't filter it enough to make it sound booming and robotic...so it sounds kinda lame. What can ya do?

I like how the guns shoot missiles...but overall, the toy seems like it could use more gimmicks. But then again, "populating" the city with wee TFs is probably the majority of the fun. This is a playset toy, after all!

Oh...someone needs to make fist covers for battleship/city modes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2013 04:00AM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - sdcc-mplex.jpg (488.2 KB)
Sanjeev
Oh...someone needs to make fist covers for battleship/city modes.

Hmm....who around here can quickly/skillfully design a part like that? :)

Could be some more residual income, Rev.

But yeah, I think I'm gonna pass. I would be keeping the thing in robot mode (not enough space for the base or ship mode), so I'd prefer it be sturdier. But that's just me being picky.

Otherwise, it does look like a nice toy.
Sanjeev (Admin)
"Residual"? Peripheral, perhaps? Anyway, yeah, that's an easy thing to CAD up and drop into my Shapeways store...but I'm sure others more emotionally invested in the toy will come up with something suitable (be it a fan-made 3D-printed item or a mass-produced 3rd party toy company's effort).

I just watched the video again now that I'm...sober. And the bit where the robot mode collapses backwards while the dude's demonstrating the knee articulation is VERY red flaggy. I'd gladly sacrifice all articulation from the waist down for a sturdier toy. Definitely rethinking this...
Sanjeev
"Residual"? Peripheral, perhaps?

Not familiar with the term peripheral income. Figured 'residual' was just a catch-all for income (big or tiny) that streams in after you do something (royalties on a book, rent, Shapeways nerd-ware, etc.).

Anyway, yes, Metroplex flopping backwards was definitely not sexy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2013 06:35PM by gingaio.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Heh...I'm no economist. Case in point: I'm a grown-ass man who collects toys. "Peripheral" makes sense to me because it's "side" money. :P

Anyway, crumbling prices on Brave Maximus is starting to look more and more appealing. I blame Jeremy. ;)
Available for preorder at Amazon, or, for those that dislike Amazon, at BBTS. BBTS seems slightly cheaper even factoring in shipping (but then again, I pay tax on Amazon).
Sanjeev (Admin)
Mmm...at this point, I may pass--given the review. But if I *were* to throw down, it'd likely be for the SDCC version...

But who knows how tough that'd be to pick up...
Brave Max is balla! Especially when I have all the extra parts swiped from Encore Fort Max. I'm still going to try to go for SDCC Metro. I hope it's not super floptacular, but maybe it will still work for my massive super Robo City, USA.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
So I guess there's still hope regarding Metroplex's joints. From the guy who did the video review: "Yea the legs are really not that bad...unless you plan on pushing him over when you display him or play with him, he is very stable in robot mode. I just was not supporting him properly when showing off the knee articulation. He's a big bot...so of course he will fall back in that situation."

I suppose that's encouraging. Just a couple other folks from tfw2005 (yes, I lurk there from time to time!) mentioned the floppiness, but people seem more annoyed that the ramp in city mode doesn't reach the floor. Again, that's an easy 3D printed fix! ;)

But back to the joints, I guess more video reviews featuring people handling the robot would help. Surprisingly, there aren't any more reviews up yet, even though the toy is (sorta) available...
Sanjeev (Admin)
So I'm sure many of you are already following coverage of this guy on tfw2005, but in case you're not, it looks like the toy is a lot more stable than that video suggests. Check out these pics:

They say it can hold these poses with no problem. Now, it may take just a breeze to knock it down...but I was thinking about another big Transformer I happen to love: Unicron. If you pick up Unicron by the legs and try to bend the knees without minding the upper body, it'll probably flop over too, right? So I think it might be worth giving this guy a shot.

Also, someone mentioned that the fists can actually be removed for city/battleship modes. Well, they're not really supposed to be removable...but the hinge joint is designed to pop free when over-stressed, so it's pretty simple to detach them. Still, fist covers might be cooler--especially if they double for some sort of weapon or other accessory in robot mode.

Things are looking up!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2013 06:36PM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - r_DSC06612.jpg (54.5 KB)
open | download - r_DSC06615.jpg (70.1 KB)
open | download - IMG_3719.JPG (493.5 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Optibotimus reviews Metroplex.
[www.youtube.com]
You've been warned.

He mentions the hip and knee joints not being as strong as he'd like. I still don't think it's TOO bad...watch for 38 minutes and decide.
Ha! I just finished skimming/fast-forwarding this guy's review before I saw your post. I don't know why he bugs me so much, but he does. Watching the legs flop around while he transformed it...not too heartening. That said, if you don't plan on transforming/messing with it, then it's not much of an issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2013 11:43PM by gingaio.
Metroplex is absolutely fantastic. Solid. Stands well. Is only floppy when you're transforming him. Once he's in a mode, he's solid. Here's a size comparison between Mattel's Voltron, Fortress Maximus Encore and Metroplex.

Also, with aerialbots, technobot and powerglide on the carrier deck. A picture thirty years in the making.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2013 03:28PM by christ.
I got my SDCC Metroplex and I really like it. However, there's a problem with the battery contacts on the electronics. Apparently a pretty heavily reported problem:

[www.allspark.com]

[www.tfw2005.com]

Also the door on the chest that turns into a ramp is kinda floppy... maybe I am missing some way to lock it in? I'm definitely really glad I got the SDCC version, though, because the chrome on the face and thighs is rad! One more thing: I can't figure out what you're supposed to do make the sunglasses stay up?

I do really like that the carrier mode and city mode are very similar to the original '80s toy, which I love, but I can't help but feel that it doesn't look as much like a city as the '80s one did. It doesn't have the add-on building, one arm isn't used as a building but as a gun, and and it's sort of rounder and lumpier and less building-like in general. While I definitely like this neo Metroplex a lot, I gotta say Maximus (especially Brave Maximus due to the painted windows) still wins in the giant robot city department, even if Metroplex is a little taller.

-Ginrai

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2013 02:37AM by Ginrai.
Thanks, Ginrai. What's your opinion on the hip and leg ratchets. Are they loose enough to be bothersome? Or is the thing steady enough in 'bot mode? This is the only major reservation I have about the toy.
I think it's really only an issue if you try to stand it up in robot mode without locking the halves of the legs together when transforming. It is a little top heavy so if the legs are destabilized by not being transformed you may make the top fall back if that helps.

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, Ben just received his SDCC 'Plex and I quizzed him similarly about the stability of the robot mode. Just paraphrasing, but he said that you can get him in a lot of really cool stances/poses. Very stable...once in a pose...but the toy can feel a little rickety *getting into that pose*.
Good to know. Thanks, fellas.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer