Metroplex

Posted by gingaio 
Mine should finally arrive tonight from Amazon. I'll chime in with my feelings later on. As for it being city-like, I think we can bank on 3rd party add-ons for him that will add that sort of thing.

More serious than thou
I'm 100% for add-on city parts for Metroplex. I would also love a nice updated Slammer and Sixgun.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gah! I totally forgot to post the pics Ben sent me last week:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2013 12:30AM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - metro1.jpg (66.4 KB)
open | download - metro2.jpg (84.5 KB)
Nice posing there. I'm one of those that can't see it being worth the difference in price for chromed parts and an extra gun for that SDCC version. I may just use some silver spray paint and do up those parts myself.

As for add-ons, I could see a set of turret guns with the 5mm and smaller legion-type peg sizes to fit in the myriad of ports that Metroplex has. Also, and Slammer and Six-gun add-ons would be most welcome. Some bits to make him more city-like would be great, but I'm fine with him being more of a "base" than a city.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Same regarding the SDCC version. I mean, the chrome makes the face look about a million times better, in my opinion...but nothing some silver paint can't sufficiently upgrade...

And coming at it from a different angle, if I do get one of these guys, I'm almost assuredly gonna mess with it! I'm thinking some warm grey panel-lining to bring out the surface detail...and then slather some glow paint in the various holes and crevices to try to evoke the look from the video game. And I'd rather NOT make those modifications to a fancy, limited version...
I loved Metroplex so much as a kid. I felt way cheated when Fortress Maximus came out and was not portrayed in the comics as a city, but the toy was HUGE (and too expensive for my poor family to ever afford). This just feels like a righting of wrongs to have a Metroplex taller than Fortress Maximus. To me, the chrome face is what makes it really feel like the toy I loved so much as a kid so I just had to get that version. The chrome thighs are also nice. It ended up being a little cheaper for me to get the SDCC version instead of the Japanese version (though if you were just buying it off eBay that's probably not the case), so why not get chrome thighs as well? The other thing is I loved having the little keshi rubber decoy Transformers all over my Metroplex as a kid and the ones from the SDCC version also really scratch that itch for me. The SDCC version is just right to me, you know? But I can see others not feeling as strongly about it. I was 6 when I got Metroplex for my birthday and my parents were in the middle of an ugly divorce. He meant a lot to me. I took him with me when we drove to California and I left Michigan for the first time. He was sitting in my lap when we arrived in San Francisco, the city where I now live.

-Ginrai

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2013 11:41PM by Ginrai.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Nice. Thanks for that. We need MORE folks posting memoirs like that relating how much toys mean to them and why...
I'd expect that we will see replacement face and thigh parts from 3P manufacturers. I'm pretty sure you can bank on some coming from Dr Wu or CrazyDevy. The likelihood is that you'll get them for $40-50, which will be less than the difference in cost between the versions of Metroplex.

What I'd LOVE to see is someone put out a replacement voice/sound/light kit for him. Now THAT would be a cool 3P release!

As it is, I can totally see doing what Sanjeev is talking about above. I'm not much for the globby dark paint in crevices look myself, but a very light wash with just a hint of color in it ought to do the trick and make the toy look pretty damn cool. It seems to me is that an enterprising soul with electronics skills (not me!) could add red/yellow LEDs inside the legs and other hollow spaces and make a few small holes and slots and so on to really produce the look of windows and so on.

More serious than thou
fujikuro
Nice posing there. I'm one of those that can't see it being worth the difference in price for chromed parts and an extra gun for that SDCC version.

For his second gun, given his size, can't he just hold a REAL gun???
I wanted to mention a few things about the Metroplex (or at least the Hasbro) release that no one seems to mention in any of the reviews. The figure comes partly disassembled (The right arm is not attached.) This is not really a problem but once the arm is attached the figure is now a little too wide to fit back in the box correctly and all those plastic holding places are now worthless. If they would have just made the box a 1/2 wider it could have become pre-assembled and easily put back ion the box.

The Sticker sheet:
I'm one of those people who actually like putting on a lot of stickers if it doesn't make the figure look stupid in modern light. (See some of the classic G1 stickers.) because it makes you really look at the details of the figure and thus make you appreciate the figure even more. But these stickers weren't fun because this sheet sucks ass because 50% of the stickers have no real explanation of where they go. Some look like they are suppose to go on top while they actually go under places. Also sticker 31 and 77 are switched. Many people have mentioned this but I only saw Emgo's toy review where he specifically mentioned which sticker. Some stickers are also a little too big for their spots. The last thing was that I was surprised to see so much Japanese writing on the stickers especially for a U.S. release. You could argue that some of the stickers were written in Cybertronian but the stickers reminded me of the old 24" Shogun Warrior stickers.

Actually even with all those sticker sheet I see a lot of potential for more sticker detail from Repo-label.

Besides the floppyness of the legs that evereyone has already mentioned and this figure should have come with a lot more firepower (fiting missles, vehicle launcher etc.) it is a great figure and since I paid $111.00 inc tax. I can't really argue at all. good work Hasbro!

Customization:

I'll eventually do a weathered wash of the figure to bring out the detail. (That really made my Unicron pop.) and paint the face and other parts chrome.

I figure with this new Titan class a Tripticon would be next but I would really love to see an Omega Supreme at or about as close to this size. I figure a re-molding of a few parts and a differewnt head and re-coloring and we will get a new Fortress Maximus.

This figure has made me want some more legion class to put with the figure. a scale that I always thought was basically Go-bot-ish.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Did you guys see this?
[www.youtube.com]

Jeremy sent me the video the other day. Pretty neat...though home-printed ABS parts should really be treated with acetone vapor to make them look less shitty (and to strengthen them).
Damn that was fast. I think both are a worthy upgrade (depending on price. which wasn't mentioned.) but the color of the ramps looked a little off. Maybe that was because of the camera. I'd like to wait though because I have the idea that this figure will have tons of crazy add on. I'd like to see another red gun for a cheaper price or things to give the figure a more city look. The old one had a few blocks that did nothing but hang on. more missles and I'm sure a vehicles launchers gimick is in the works. One thing of note. After looking at the review. I'm not really feeling the chrome now. Yes it looks G1 but the chrome hips lust look stupid. Chrome for Chrome sake and the chrome face makes it look like one of the old Micronaut figures. Maybe a silver paint will be a good mix between the two much shinny silver and no silver at all.
Dude there is no Japanese on those Metroplex stickers, it's all that made up Cybertron language.

-Ginrai
Wasn't sure but the one over the autobot just screamed "Shogun Warrior to me.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I love the idea of ramp extensions, PLUS that articulated segment that allows you to create a winding road!

I still think the knees could have been executed better. Not just the acetone vapor thing I already mentioned...but the added rotation point seems a little janky, going by the video. He could do a simple printed ratchet joint (like in the shoulders of my 3D printed Microman suit)...or just make the peg stiffer. Of course...without the acetone treatment to strengthen it, a tighter peg connection may risk breaking the thing right off.

It'd be cool if someone did full replacement knees and hips that add that additional rotation joint AND strengthen all the connections to make the overall robot mode more stable.

Anyway, I'm with Marvin: I'd love to see add-on buildings and whatnot that convert into big weapons/missile launchers. Maybe tiny static add-on bits, too...like micro missile/gun turrets to pepper all over every mode with blu-tack or something!
Sanjeev (Admin)
With the talk of chrome and painting recently in regards to this guy, I finally went and painted up the thighs, face, and the missile launchers in the flip-down compartment in the chest. Here you go:

Though it matched the color of the vents on the chest pretty well, I went ahead and sprayed that as well just to be sure the colors were matching properly. Seems like it came out pretty nicely. No chrome, but better than all white.

More serious than thou
Speaking of Metroplex... Third Party Metroplex???

-Ginrai
Yeah, that's the Maketoys one that's supposed to be compatible with Armageddon (ie: YOTS Omega add on). Maybe it'll come with tracks that complete the circle just to get you onboard, Sanjeev!

I can't see spending 500 bucks on this when the Hasbro one just came out, though.
Sanjeev (Admin)
OH! I'd seen references to "Armageddon", but just ignored them. Didn't realize it was their Omega Supreme upgrade kit! Yeah, more tracks would be dope...but either way, I just wanna see more pics of their interaction.

But, yeah, the pricepoint is tough to get over...
Ginrai
Speaking of Metroplex... Third Party Metroplex???

Oh wow. Yeah, that's pretty nice and chunky like Metroplex ought to be. Still, there's no way - short of winning the lottery - that I'd plunk down that kind of cash on this.

More serious than thou
I like the painted face and parts. As I said to Sanjeev. It looks less "Micronaut Bling" to me. I'm going to do the same as well as a full weathering treatment.
fujishig
Yeah, that's the Maketoys one that's supposed to be compatible with Armageddon (ie: YOTS Omega add on). Maybe it'll come with tracks that complete the circle just to get you onboard, Sanjeev!

I can't see spending 500 bucks on this when the Hasbro one just came out, though.

Has there been any info about the price or size yet? If it's within the same ball park as Green Giant I'd bite. The more I look at the HasTak Metroflex the more I realize that: 1) I don't want a two foot tall Transformer; and 2) it doesn't look vintagey enough because the proportions are all stretched out. Metrosex should look stocky and fatty. I like the direction the MakeToys version goes. If only there'd be some Accessory Robot action and chrome thighs it would be perfect...
Sanjeev (Admin)
I thought they said it'd be around $400, not $500...but I don't think it's been etched in stone yet.
I would say the proportions of the Hasbro/TakaraTomy toy are much more like the '80s cartoon than either the original toy or this unlicensed one.

-Ginrai

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2014 02:27AM by Ginrai.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, I think he meant "vintagey" in terms of the G1 toy...

But either way, I wanna see a 3rd party (or official) Trypticon! :P
I get that, but I am just saying it's not wrong for Hasbro/TakaraTomy to make new toys that look more like the cartoon than the original toy. That's kind of what fans have been begging for forever.

I would looooove a new Trypticon, preferably 2 foot tall to fight the new Metroplex! PS Whatever happened to Super 7's Jumbo Optimus Prime?

-Ginrai

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2014 12:22AM by Ginrai.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Some folks are saying Maketoys' Metroplex is meant to look like he did in the Fall of Cybertron game.
Yes to Trypticon. 'Nuff said.

More serious than thou
First review of the Before and After version of Sixgun, Six Sigma: [www.youtube.com]

-Ginrai
We're not allowed to ask about any Super7 jumbos that became vaporware and were never mentioned again. Every time I ask about them I am deafened by silence.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Uh, okay.

Anyway, I gotta admit...that review for Six Sigma was kinda dope. It's true that his arms aren't explicitly guns themselves, but overall, it DOES kinda have six guns: the two red hand rifles for Metroplex, and that artillery emplacement that features two each of two kinds of cannon-things. It kinda works. But I think an *actual* doofy upscaling of the same basic G1 design (but with modern sculpting) would have been hilarious and awesome.
Ginrai
I get that, but I am just saying it's not wrong for Hasbro/TakaraTomy to make new toys that look more like the cartoon than the original toy.

I never said it was wrong. But, honestly, I fucking hated the Transformers cartoon.
I got my Before and After Six Sigma, the unlicensed Sixgun sidekick robot for Generations Metroplex. THIS IS INCREDIBLY GREAT. I can't believe how happy I am with this toy. Fuck. It is GREAT. Exactly what I wanted. Looks beautiful. Way bigger than I thought (close to a foot talls). Really poseable. Just overall lovely and wonderful and well-made and shit, it even comes with Slammer, Metroplex's tank AND Slammer can transform into either a gun for Sixgun OR a tower for Metroplex. Just perfect execution. So pleased with this and I am very surprised I love it so much. Just a great fucking robot toy.

-Ginrai
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer