[REPRO LABELS] Do you have it?

Posted by Gcrush 
I was looking at Reprolabels for some Auto-tune and Decepti-crab faction symbols for my Fourth Wall figures. I was close to buying some, but I generally hate stickers. Over time they get gummy, slide around, tear, etc.

How to these after market dealies compare in that respect? Are they worth the money? Do they actually look good in person?
I've bought a lot of Reprolabels stuff over the years, and it's really really nice. The quality of the labels far outshines what comes with, say, the Encore G1 toys. Never any trouble with peeling or improper cuts on the sheets. I think they're a bit pricey sometimes, but outside of that they're very nice.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Agreed. They're pretty great. Perfectly and completely cut...and the foil and/or vinyl they use is top quality. Pricey, yes, but I'd say worth it...
Gcrush
How to these after market dealies compare in that respect? Are they worth the money? Do they actually look good in person?

The postman brought me some Reprolabels and they're fucking fantastic. The chrome accents they drop on the figures are outrageous and perfectly garish. As they should be. I can't believe how much they add in terms of pure awesomeness. They made the default paint apps from iGear look totally unfinished. I'm going to go whole hog with the handful of naked Transformers I have left.

Things I noticed:

The Reprolabels website desperately needs an overhaul.

There are lots of stickers whose placements aren't shown in the instructions.

You should file down any lumps that might go under the stickers because they really fuck up the smooth finish on the chrome stickers.

Things I wondered:

Why don't they have stickers for MP Starscream 2.0?

Will humidity and time cause the stickers to curl or slide around?

Will Future seal the stickers without ruining them?

Why won't you answer me:

What super-secret sticker knowledge are you witholding?
Sanjeev (Admin)
It gets pretty damn humid in the summers in Boston, but I've never noticed any problems whatsoever with any of my Reprolabels. They seem pretty bullet-proof. As for using Future...uh...I would imagine applying Future to pretty much *any* toy would ruin it (the toy, not the stickers). I mean, the stuff never quite cures completely. There's always a bit of a tacky texture left behind...and especially on a Transformers, I can imagine it turning into a mess after a few transformations. And ultimately, ya don't need 'em--these stickers don't peel.

Oh, and if/when you find that super-secret sticker knowledge being withheld, let me know. I could use some...
Just as a sidebar, I've used Future to stiffen joints and other moving mechanisms (completely fixed the loose smokestack on my MP-10 Convoy). It's worked pretty well. It does leave a tacky feeling, as 'Jeev mentioned, so I wouldn't use it on places that don't need it for functional purposes. But it also doesn't melt plastic the way superglue does (why people use that to stiffen joints I don't understand).

And yeah, Reprolabels are strong. I've not had issues with mine.
The (long) summers where I'm at get hot and humid - over 100 degrees at around 80% humidity. Which is manageable if you have central AC. But most places around here, including ours, only have central heating. So in the summer we just open the windows and turn on the fans for all the good it does. (None.) Anything that's paper and not pressed or glued flat starts to curl - including my beard.* So when a few of the stickers I put on started to slide a little the next day I pondered what doom the weather would wreak.

I've used future in the past to seal paint against minor flaking and it never felt tacky to me after it cured. If anything, it felt slick, like my gummy mitts weren't spreading their ordinary snail-trail-of-filth across the surface as I manhandled it. It also looks super fucking shiny, too.

Anyway, I think I'm going to test a spare piece of plastic and some excess stickers to see what they do. If this turns out to be the secret knowledge, I promise to expose it here before the Chinese Triads can silence me.

* Which itself is no longer made out of paper.
Sanjeev (Admin)
gingaio
But it also doesn't melt plastic the way superglue does (why people use that to stiffen joints I don't understand).

Buh? Sounds like you weren't using super glue (cyanoacrylate), but styrene model glue (which I believe is some sort of colloidal acetone). Cyanoacrylate should most definitely NOT melt plastic.

'Crush, if you really wanna seal your stickers or anything like that, stop fucking around with Future. THIS is what you need:
[www.monsterkolorstore.com]
(pick "Gloss" from the drop-down)

Pretty much every toy customizer I know has worked with Monster Kolor and regardless of whether they prefer it to V-color or other paints, it's gloss topcoat is widely regarded as the best in the business. I've never seen any-fucking-thing like it. Dries absolutely rock solid with a dry, hard shine. Slightly flexible when heated, but never tacky.

Remember those custom Jumbos Walker painted?

You could launch them offa cliff and they wouldn't get a scratch.

Go big or go home.
Sanjeev
'Crush, if you really wanna seal your stickers or anything like that, stop fucking around with Future. THIS is what you need:
[www.monsterkolorstore.com]
(pick "Gloss" from the drop-down)

I meant to grab some of that stuff earlier this year when I was Stateside, but I forgot and when I try it now it looks like they don't ship overseas to my area. Bummer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer