[MASTERPIECE] Do you have it?

Posted by Gcrush 
Ginrai
Well to be fair, the show has super inconsistent animation. Here's the original character model. It's been colored into Diaclone colors by some fan, but I couldn't find the uncolored one with a quick search:

What's interesting is that the animation model only has the upper arms transformed mid-way. That shortens the upper stacks of his arms, and adds some white-space above the elbow. I never really paid attention to that before.

More serious than thou
Looks more proportional that way. That's how I've always transformed my toys!

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Man, those limbs on the MP really are chunky as hell. Still, I'd rather deal with that than the hideous faaaaaaaaaaace on the KFC toy. BUT...like I said...I'd be surprised if another 3rd party company wasn't designing proper transforming armor for the MP-10 mold as we speak. It's a huge and obvious opportunity to score big with fans.

I'm definitely disappointed that Takara went with the neutered cab, but I get it. I'm sure it was less about cartoon accuracy versus toy accuracy, and more about simply cost-cutting. They had a target pricepoint in mind from the get (like most large companies do for their products) and something had to give in order to make it.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Stealing your quote from the 3rd party thread...
Ginrai
Yeah I'm definitely waiting for official MP Ultra Magnus in Diaclone colors. Regular MP Ultra Magnus is relatively cheap at $122 on [www.anime-export.com]

WHOA...

Is this the first we're hearing of the MP Magnus' retail price??? I feel I woulda remembered $122 if I'd heard it before. That's kinda ridiculously low, right? I was expecting $200-300...
Anime-Export is always the cheapest price on MPs in my experience. Retail is actually 18000 Yen so a lot closer to $180, yo. But I got my MP Bluestreak and MP G2 Sideswipe from them for $50.50 and $44.02, so yeah, been pretty fucking happy with them. The only catch is you have to pay up front for preorders and shipping is not calculated until the end.

-Ginrai

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2014 02:32PM by Ginrai.
Yeah, that reminds me of Amiami, and I have to say I won't deal with those people again. I'll take my chances with the slightly higher price from HLJ. they sent me a whole new MP Rodimus back when there were QC issues with that guy.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Okay, $180 is obviously more in-line with what I had in mind...but honestly, I *was* expecting well over $200 given the relative size of this toy and the prices of other high-end items these days. I guess I'm just too used to seeing fancy modern gokin--or even 3rd party TF--prices.

As for retailers, yeah, I think HLJ is a good bet because they offer the service of BBTS, but with prices closer to Chinese retail.

And lastly, your "aviator glasses" comment finally clicked with me, Matt, and I realized what was so wrong in my head about the way the face looks! I swear I'm not slow--I'm just usually distracted with pesky work while I'm trying to read this board! :P
Yeah, HLJ's got it for right around $140. The shipping's probably gonna add another $30, but that still doesn't get it to the price that BBTS or many other shops will have it at. My experience so far with places like Amiami is that you might save, say, $5-10 overall on an individual piece after the price of shipping is included. HLJ's FedEx shipping is almost always priced well and gets you your item in a few days. I was an HLJ buyer primarily for a long time, and I think I'm headed back that way again.

Yeah, the aviator glasses seems like a no-brainer design element, but it does seem to be missing. However, I suppose future pics may show differently, or perhaps they're "pull down" or something. Seems really odd to not include them. Sorta like making an OP with no face shield.

More serious than thou
And, so here's another pic of UM, based on the Sunbow design:

Someone else made this pic and posted it on TFW2005. If you ignore the back kibble (and who knows if that's been transformed right), and look at the waist, for example, the MP toy looks pretty spot on there. To me, forearms still look too big, but that could be camera angle as well. Still haven't seen a pose of the toy in this kind of neutral stance.

More serious than thou

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2014 01:18PM by fujikuro.
Well anime-export is not amiami and even after shipping it's always way cheaper than BBTS and a little cheaper than HLJ and I haven't had problems with customer service. Just sharing my experiences. YMMV.

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
Matt, isn't that the same pic Jeremy posted...just reversed? Anyway, I really do appreciate the attention to detail...but they better get those aviators in there in the final toy! I'm curious to see his back and how much actual kibble there is. It's not like the original Diaclone/G1 toy wasn't a mess back there, but I'd just like to see how they handled it. And like I said before, I could learn to live with the chunky-ass proportions.

Jeremy, does anime-export provide the same level of support as BBTS or HLJ? Like, if you receive a toy with botched QC, would they replace all or parts of the toy free of charge? I think that's the "gold standard" for customer service nowadays.
Well their FAQ says:

What happens if I receive my shipment and it is defective or there are items missing?
A. This must be reported to AE as soon as possible and we will take the appropriate action. Please include clear pictures of the damage or missing parts. We pack the items very carefully to avoid damage to your beloved items.
However in same cases of human error accidents appends and the item/s gets damaged. You need to claim to your local post office right away about the incident and seek compensation on your side.
Meanwhile we will do our best to solve the problem from our side.

I sent a product back for replacement. How long will it take until I get my replacement?
A. You should receive a replacement or credit after we received and inspected your item. It depends on the shipping method you chose to send us back the product.

How do I return a product to AE for replacement / refund?
A. Please contact us via web form on the contact us page, we will get back to you as soon as possible. If it's our mistake we will refund or provide funds to ship it back to us. PLEASE NOTE! The item must be sealed or in case of a special item in same conditions as shipped.

-Ginrai
So what are the odds the UM makes it out here? Prowl is coming, which I didn't think would happen because of the license. Bumblebee I think makes it for sure. Not like I'd ever find it at a TRU, but still, I haven't even opened my Japanese Soundwave plus tapes because I found a TRU version for much, much cheaper...
Sanjeev
Matt, isn't that the same pic Jeremy posted...just reversed?

Uh, yeah, I guess so! However, it does give you a good side-by-side comparison with the test shot. It's pretty accurate, I guess, afterall.

More serious than thou
Bumblebee and Spike in color:

More Magnus:

Obviously not a recolor MP-10 cab in there. But it's detachable, so you could replace it with an MP-10 cab...

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
Okay, I gotta say, that robot mode for Bumblebee looks pretty dope! Great proportions, colors, and design...all around. Of course, having said that, what the fuck happened to his car mode? The front end looks all wrong to me--it looks like they stretched it way out. :/ Oh well. I wasn't planning on getting him anyway, but if I were, I'd be kinda annoyed.

Hmm...I wonder if it has something to do with Volkswagen's prior aversion to have their designs used in "war toys". Like, maybe Takara HAD to screw with the design a bit...?

Anyway, Magnus is starting to look more enticing to me! His aviators are properly in place...and that makes Sanjeev happy. The back kibble looks totally fine to me...as do the extra-chunky proportions.

Now, Jeremy, has it been officially established that an MP-10 can be used with the Magnus armor in both modes??? 'Cause that would make a TON of sense! Keep costs low by offering the armor with essentially a "dummy" core so that fans on a budget can get a functional set for a reasonable price. But then the hardcore fans can toss the dummy and throw an MP-10 in there. Genius.

They just need to make a blue repaint of MP-10 to complete my Powered Convoy "dream set". ;)
Dogg, I think you are used to seeing a different model or else cartoon, SD, or otherwise deformed versions. Bumblebee is meant to be a Super Beetle. They look like this:

Seem about right to me. Anyway the licensing shit is all resolved. The same licensing problems previously prevented them from getting the Lambos, but we got them now. The truth is when Tomy bought Takara they were sorted, because Tomy had a better relationship with car companies from doing Tomica little diecast cars for decades, as revealed by one of the Takara team in a recent interview.

As for Magnus, I don't know about using it in BOTH modes, but it can definitely be used in TRUCK mode. It just LOOKS like it can be used in robot mode to me. The cavity looks big enough for Optmus' feet, but I dunno for sure. I sure do want a Powered Convoy color set, though!

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
Huh. Well I'll be damned. I looked up what a Volkswagen beetle looks like...and it looks pretty fucking spot on to me! I guess I've just NEVER been remotely into that vehicle...so I've never really experienced any incarnation of it other than the G1 Bumblebee toy! :P

Comment retracted. Masterpiece Bumblebee at least appears to be perfection at this point. Though I refer to my previous comment: who gives a fuck about Bumblebee? Really???

But! That's really interesting to hear about Tomy's relationship with the automakers being how they were able to get the rights to Volkswagen and Lambo finally.

And regarding Magnus, I sure hope you're right!
All looking fantastic! So glad I decided to go for the official toys!

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
I hear that. I mean, the KFC not-Magnus has pretty solid build quality from all accounts...but the aesthetics are just so wrong in my eyes. Most of the techy detail is kinda just made-up (not actually from the animation model or the original toy). And sweet jesus, that fucking face... Ugh.
Like I keep saying, I liked Bumblebee in the Marvel comics, although Andrew has pointed out to me the issues I really loved were after he became Goldbug, but whatever, still the same character. I'm excited for both toys!

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
Hmm...I wonder what the odds are for an MP Goldbug someday!
So the exclusive version of MP Bluestreak is just a silver hood like the G1 toy:

This is totally boring ass bullshit. WHERE IS THE BLUE FUCKING CAR? BLUE.

-Ginrai

Ultra Magnus comes with alternate, "Oh god, please don't kill me!" face. Also check out those Adult Spike and Daniel figures!

-Ginrai
I think I spread some of that "Blue" Bluestreak drivel that I had scoped hear and there "out there"...really? You can do a G2 Sideswipe, which is about as obscure to me as an MP Arbulus toy, but can't perform one act of absolute fanservice and just give up the Diaclone version? Me fuepe' de caca!@!!
Oh, and don't even get me started on this goofiness!!!

[www.bigbadtoystore.com]

Does this mean he has that afwul craggy mouth underneath???

I know I mocked the Black and Purple version of Rodimus...BUT THIS AWFULNESS!!!!??????
Supersentai
Oh, and don't even get me started on this goofiness!!!

[www.bigbadtoystore.com]

Does this mean he has that afwul craggy mouth underneath???

I know I mocked the Black and Purple version of Rodimus...BUT THIS AWFULNESS!!!!??????

Yeah, that's a real head-scratcher. Why this particular pairing?

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well...they made a Megatron that transformed into a Sega Genesis, no? Nothing surprises me anymore...
They made an optimus and megatron that turned into caps and shoes. But repainting a masterpiece for a tie in (with cosmetic changes to the trailer)? I can understand the anger about lack of diaclone colors.
Ultra Magnus in color:

Tiny pics. Appears to just be a test shot (or maybe even just a proto) painted by hand quickly, but still cool to see.

In other news, the Bluestreak recolor is still BORING AS HELL:

IMO the original version is way better. WHERE IS THE BLUE DIACLONE COLORED VERSION?

-Ginrai

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2014 01:11AM by Ginrai.

Close up on Magnus finally! Looking pretty good! Pose really badly still, though. Hmm, what's going on with his chin? Looks a bit weird.

-Ginrai

Face close-up! Definitely thinking the face is a bit long there...

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
Heh...I was gonna comment on how awful that pose was before!

edit: Weird--the chin *does* look pretty epic in those full-body shots...but it seems good enough to me in that closeup:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2014 03:04PM by Sanjeev.
Still seems too long to me, but I also may be too used to the original toy.

-Ginrai

First pic of MP Star Saber!

And Magnus in a not-shitty pose.

Another head shot.

-Ginrai

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2014 04:57AM by Ginrai.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ginrai
Still seems too long to me, but I also may be too used to the original toy.

Oh, it's totally too long...but not SO long that it bothers me all that much, I guess.

Ultra Magnus in truck mode colored! Interesting it sticks to the animation model with the red bumper. The red for the inner parts of his lower legs seems weirdly out of place in the trailer mode.

And here's an official robot mode pic so we finally get it nicely posed. I'm really looking forward to this toy.

-Ginrai

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2014 02:51AM by Ginrai.

I'm not feeling those colors. If they were going for a "toy look", then the thighs should be red and the blue should be lighter. If they were going for a "cartoon look", then the insides of the lower legs should be blue. As it is, they've split the difference in a way that doesn't look right.

I never had UltraFabulous as a kid, but the lack of White Power Prime inside the armor doesn't bother me. the concept never made any sense anyway. If you were putting on a powered-up helmet, why would it have lips and a nose on it when your regular face doesn't have those things? Unless your regular face has those things underneath its flat grill... In which case your powered-up helmet makes even less sense - it's a lipface-grillface-lipface sandwich of awkwardness. Gross.

Can we please move on to Sunstreaker and Hound? Thank you.
Sanjeev (Admin)
It's hard for me to have an opinion about UM's colors (other than agreeing that the choices are obviously a bit odd)...because I've never liked those colors. Diaclone Powered Convoy colors, please!
C'mon guys, if Magnus had perfect colors in its first iteration, that would cut down on the number of recolors they could do and they'd have to resort to Evangelion colors next (since you know Diaclone would be way down the line).

I was a bit disappointed in the lack of a prime inside, even if it's not relevant to the show because I always wanted Powered Convoy as a kid, before they released him as a Transformer (and before the Movie revealed him to be nothing but a decoy character). But I can understand why, and the last thing I want is a Magnus with the stability of Rodimus Prime.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2014 05:01PM by fujishig.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer