[MASTERPIECE] Do you have it?

Posted by Gcrush 
That's not news, dude. I preordered Ultra Magnus from BBTS weeks ago. :) In fact, I linked it to you!

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Damn you, weed, for making me a forgetful bastard! :P

Well, thanks for linking me before--even if I forgot! I assume I gave the same spiel about waiting for a Diaclone Powered Convoy repaint then... ;)
Yep, and I agreed I'd love to get a Powered Convoy recolor!

-Ginrai

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2014 01:33PM by Ginrai.

I got Masterpiece G2 Sideswipe (and also MP Bluestreak), and he is amazing and ridiculous. He has a goofy snarling face to match the G2 comics drawn by Derek Yaniger.

Includes comic accurate machine gun, rocket launcher, sword, spikey wheels, and sneer. Not included: bandolier. Man, I really need to find one somewhere. As you can see, the machine gun and rocket launcher can combine on the toy for accurate car gun/engine thing. PLUS the sword can combine with them as well! You can even mount the rocket launcher (or combined weapon) on his shoulder if you take off the spiky wheels. Includes optional horrible neon green stickers if you want to make it accurate to the original G2 toy and not the comics. Anyway it's fantastic. Bluestreak is really great, too, and while I probably like Bluestreak more, Sideswipe is more hilarious.

-Ginrai

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2014 09:57PM by Ginrai.
What an odd toy to make, much less do exclusive molds for. Was that comic even released in Japan? I remember being excited that we were getting a Transformers comic again, only to be disappointed with how dark everything was.
As far as I know, the comic was never released in Japan, but neither were any of the comics where Grimlock was the angry, stupid leader of the Autobots and insisted on a wearing a crown, and that didn't stop TakaraTomy from making Grimlock with a crown in comic inspired colors for Japan. Whatever, Americans have watched the Japanese exclusive cartoons and we got Black Shadow or whatever they called him here in the Classics line, and that was a weird Japan only Thunderwing recolor in the '80s. SOOOO.

-Ginrai

MP Bumblebee is looking pretty sweet! I love that it comes with Spike (or Daniel?) in his exo-suit! Also, swappable faces? I guess for multiple expressions?

-Ginrai

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2014 01:58PM by Ginrai.
GIVE ME YOUR FACE!!!!

Sorry, just had to. LoL :-)

- Mike

Deep in the Hasbro Jungle
Ginrai
Also, swappable faces? I guess for multiple expressions?

I hope they include a toy-accurate face, one without a mouth. I can't stand the idea of lips on a robot.
Gcrush
Ginrai
Also, swappable faces? I guess for multiple expressions?

I hope they include a toy-accurate face, one without a mouth. I can't stand the idea of lips on a robot.

Hoping hoping hoping for the toy-accurate face. I don't mind the cartoon-accurate bodies and so on, but I generally don't like the cartoon faces. At least give us options.

More serious than thou
Any pics out there for the new "Diaclone Blue" Bluestreak coming out this summer?
Supersentai
Any pics out there for the new "Diaclone Blue" Bluestreak coming out this summer?

I heard that the first Lady Z exclusive isn't blue but light silver. There is supposedly a blue version around the corner after that, but no pics of either yet.
The I guess the BBTS exclusive is likely the light silver, with the Diaclone Blue being a Tokyo Toy Show event exclusive of some sort being sold in Japan, if I gleaned that correctly from the article I found.
MP-13B Sound Blaster (or Sound Wave Black) arrived. The build quality and base figure are pretty much identical to MP-13. No surprises there. One disappointment is that Sound Blaster's tits are not a newly molded chest panel but a snap-in piece. So, no true extra storage space. It's basically the same as the grid-piece snap in from MP-13. The base panel is red, like the original Sound Blaster toy, but the snap-in piece is purple for reasons that are unclear to me. I kind of wish that it were red.

Rat Bat is... Interesting. The transformation is unique and quite, dare I say it - fun? But the end result is that the front of the figure has the painted "tape" panels showing while the back is all techno-detailed. And that sucks. The original was cooler because the front was techy. It might be possible to do some surgery on the MP and flip it around.

As far as QC goes - Sound Blaster has some super-glue finger prints and Rat Bat has some black paint slop on the mouth. Beyond that, all was good.

Anyone know any secrets for removing the super glue prints?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Huh...I've never heard any tips for removing cyanoacrylate haze...but it's a little disappointing to hear that shit anyway: they make haze-free ca glue...so why the fuck wouldn't they use it on such a high-end thing?
Bumblebee is looking pretty good to me. And annoying fanboys are complaining super loud about it, of course.

-Ginrai
What are people complaining about with the Bumblebee? It looks great to me. My main complaint is making the mask an exclusive.
"Wah! His roof is on his back!" "Wah! His feet are too big!"

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
Wah! It's Bumblebee! Who gives a FUCK about Bumblebee!?

(no, seriously, why's this dumb character so goddamn popular???)
I thought Bumblebee was pretty cool on the comics. When Grimlock was being the Worst Autobot Leader Ever, him and Blaster left the Autobots to go on awesome roadtrips. it was pretty rad.

-Ginrai

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2014 08:23PM by Ginrai.
Sanjeev
Wah! It's Bumblebee! Who gives a FUCK about Bumblebee!?

(no, seriously, why's this dumb character so goddamn popular???)

Wasn't Bumblebee supposed to be the most kid friendly among the wheeled murder machines? Not that it would explain the character's "popularity", but it would account for why it gets constantly pushed in TEH MARKETing.

As for the frog-free super glue - yeah, it exists. But I'm sure it costs $0.00001 more than the frog-full alternative, so why would they use it? Seriously, though, it is an annoyance. I've had around three Transformers in the last couple of months show up with spots where the vapor clearly reacted with the oil in fingerprints left behind during assembly.

There's gotta be something mild enough to strip it off the plastic without melting what's underneath. I just haven't had the time to figure it out yet.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ginrai
I thought Bumblebee was pretty cool on the comics. When Grimlock was being the Worst Autobot Leader Ever, him and Blaster left the Autobots to go on awesome roadtrips. it was pretty rad.

Oh, I remember you mentioning that. Yeah...but I never read the comics...

Gcrush
Wasn't Bumblebee supposed to be the most kid friendly among the wheeled murder machines? Not that it would explain the character's "popularity", but it would account for why it gets constantly pushed in TEH MARKETing.

^^Yeah, I feel you. In the G1 cartoon, he was clearly the go-between for the human and Cybertronian worlds. Spike's "big brother". An alien robot...who happens to be upbeat and positive and very human. But so was Minya. But it's not like he's a fan-favorite kaiju...
Sanjeev
^^Yeah, I feel you. In the G1 cartoon, he was clearly the go-between for the human and Cybertronian worlds. Spike's "big brother". An alien robot...who happens to be upbeat and positive and very human. But so was Minya. But it's not like he's a fan-favorite kaiju...

Even my kids hate Minya.

I think much of the revulsion for Minya comes from the way it looks and sounds and moves. If Bumblebee was the humanization of the Cybertron world, then Minya is the monsterization of the human world. It all goes in exactly the wrong direction down a one way street. That territory should be reserved for Brundle Fly.
Sanjeev
Ginrai

Oh, I remember you mentioning that. Yeah...but I never read the comics...

Gcrush

Hah. He's pretty much MY favorite kaiju. My kids' too. Then again, Son of Godzilla and Godzilla's Revenge are my fave Big G movies. The goofier and more kid-centric they are the more I like them.

That said, it's interesting that BB is positioned that way in people's minds when it was Hound that Spike was running around with primarily at first.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Heh...I guess I don't *hate* Minya. To me, he's just another of the many Toho kaiju-cast members. And it was just a cool concept to make a child for Godzilla...though as a kid, I never needed him to be able to relate better to the action or other kaiju.

And (showa) Minya was WAY cooler than "Junior" Godzilla in the heisei movies--except for in Destroyah, when he actually matured into a legit kaiju.

Anyway, I thought Hound was much more interesting than Bumblebee as a kid (as a toy and as a cartoon character). He was relatable, but he was still tough and could hold his own in a fight.
Well Bumblebee was a spy, and he was a wee little toy (which was often miscolored red) so I can understand why he wasn't much of a fighter (even as a kid, I would kind of roll my eyes when they mentioned that Brawn and his little chromed curling arms were the second strongest Autobot... what does that say about the rest of them?)

But how popular was he, really? I know he was one of the few to be "honored" with pretender status, but his toys always sucked. He wasn't like Optimus or Megatron, who appeared in basically every incarnation of the cartoons, and before the movie made him into a main character I don't remember many toys beyond the one classics version (which didn't even come with a gun). Now part of that may be because of Volkswagon, but still.
Bumblebee was the first Transformer to get multiple toys, even before Optimus Prime. It's pretty safe to say he's fucking popular. And if the 900000 modern toys of Bumblebee from the live action movies to the modern TV shows like Transformers Animated and Prime are in indication, he's still pretty fucking popular.

-Ginrai

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2014 01:39PM by Ginrai.
Here's a nice clear picture of MP Ultra Magnus

I think it looks quite nice, but I'm a little sad if it doesn't have white Optimus Prime mode.

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
Meh.

So it's basically the same as the KFC toy. Well, in terms of basic structure anyway. I'm sure there'll be differences in quality, materials, etc...

This seems like an easy pass. I'll betchu a buck that SOME enterprising 3rd party company is taking this info and running with it! I'll bet they're furiously designing up proper Powered Convoy/Ultra Magnus armor to fit the MP-10 mold...and THAT I could get behind...
I have no problem with the lack of white prime inside. Would I prefer it? Sure, but the intent of the MP line seems to be cartoon-accuracy over toy accuracy. So, if you're in for the MP toys, then you kind of need to accept that. It's possible that TT will hear about it from the fans and decide to give us a repainted MP-10 at some point (possibly Hasbro might as well). Correct me if I'm wrong, though - I don't think UM has the popularity in Japan that he had here, so would TT even care about such complaints?

Anyway, though the KFC toy seems nice and the reviews are positive, it just doesn't look as much like UM to me as this does. KFC looks like an up-scaled "Classics" toy to me, more stylistically similar to the stuff that Perfect Effect puts out. The only issue I have with this toy is the seeming lack of aviator glasses. Well, that and the stupid reference to the white OP head inside the regular head. If you're going to do that, why not go all the way for the "correct" internal robot? Still, I'll buy this one and be happy with it.

More serious than thou
MP Rodimus came with his trailer base thing. That was never in the show.

-Ginrai
You do see the trailer in the show. The base thing? Maybe not, but do you ever see Prime's base thing in the show either? Note that I did say cartoon-accuracy over toy-accuracy. That doesn't mean there are no toy references. It just means that cartoon is favored over toy, rather than the other way around, and I think we've seen that pretty much ever since MP-10.

BTW, here's the trailer in the show:

You can see it transform here too: [www.youtube.com]

More serious than thou
Ultra Magnus was popular here? I loved the toy, but the character was such a dud from almost his first appearance in the movie. As a kid, having grown up with Diaclone catalogs and a friend who had Powered Convoy, I was expecting like a powered up Optimus.
I said MP Rodimus had his "trailer base thing", which was not in the show. And that's accurate. The BASE was not in the show.

Meanwhile, Optimus' trailer DOES transform to base mode in the show.

Those pics are from 3 separate episodes.

So re: Ultra Magnus' character, I don't really like him when he's Robert Stack in the movie, but he has a dry sense of humor in the TV show and I love the interplay between him and Rodimus. And he's really cool in the UK comics, like I say.

Finally, here's a new pic with MP-10:

-Ginrai

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2014 08:49PM by Ginrai.
Wow, he is really chunky. Hmmm... kinda makes me rethink the toy in comparison vs Citizen Stack.

More serious than thou
Yeah, Ultra Magnus should be tiny and round, not big and blocky. I mean, look at this guy:

Tiny! Round!

Possible recolor? AFTER THE DIACLONE POWERED CONVOY.

-Ginrai

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2014 01:33PM by Ginrai.
Ginrai

That was Goldbug. Who is Bumblebee, but cooler.

That said, if they ever do a MP Goldbug, they should totally do a MP Scraplets. Who doesn't want pinkish-mecha-goo?

RE: Superglue residues:
Try a cotton swab with some water or alcohol and rub. A piece of cotton cloth can also work. If the finger print is in a pool of superglue this won't remove the fingerprint, but it should take care of the white.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2014 04:34AM by thomas.
More Magnus pics:

-Ginrai
Got my G1 UM out today. He's very chunky, but with those long gorilla arms. It made me think that really, the choices they made on the MP are certainly odd. No inner robot, but, despite the above images, this version is much chunkier than the animated version IMO. It's more in line with the G1 toy, however, in its chunkiness, but those shins and lower arms seem too big to me, and I'd want those arms to be longer. This is what UM looked like standing in a neutral pose in the show:

He's certainly lankier there than the MPO figure. It's how I imagine him when thinking of the character in the show. Dunno. They kinda went in between on all of it, rather than committing to one style over another. I guess I'd like to see non-action poses in bot mode to get a clearer idea of the actual shape of him. Hopefully they'll get some colored test shots of him up in a few months. It'll be much easier to tell how he'll really look then. Given the way the other recent MP toys have turned out, aside from Rodimus, it's likely that I'll still wind up loving it.

And apparently THIS is the small and round: [tfwiki.net]. Meh. Not a fan of this bit of fiction.

More serious than thou

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2014 09:52PM by fujikuro.
Well to be fair, the show has super inconsistent animation. Here's the original character model. It's been colored into Diaclone colors by some fan, but I couldn't find the uncolored one with a quick search:

-Ginrai
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer