EM Gohkin 01 Blue Jet. Can a Gobot fit in the TF classics line

Posted by Marvin Lee 
I saw this figure on BBTS and it looked like it could fit style wise with the classics line. What do you think. Price not being a consideration.

[www.bigbadtoystore.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
I don't think it would fit stylistically.

Fitor is way too "manga style"...angular, dynamic, and crotch-thrusty. The Classics line is much more orthogonal and techy.
Jeevsie,

Dropping the Big-"O" words on the kids at home. Orthogonal means either lack of right angles, or something about bird-gametes...I guess once you add "crotch-thrusty" you're leaning toward the latter.

Speaking of Crotch-Thrusty, did you ever get Crotch-Dirgey and Ram-Crotch-Jet to complete your second gen seekers?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Haha...trust me on this one, Adam: orthogonal very much means ALL right angles! I make planes and sports cars...I better know what shit like that means! ;) Also, I didn't mean to imply that one aesthetic is better than the other. They're just different. But personally, I prefer the original 300 series Gobot Fitor over that new-fangled one anyday!

As for crotch-ram and dick-dirge, I *did* pick them up, actually. And promptly turned around and sold them. It's not that they weren't great or exactly what I was expecting. They were both of those. But at the end of the day, I just don't have room in my place to display modern TFs. And the idea of keeping toys in storage is abhorrent to me.

But notice how I keep posting on this board! I consider most of my TF purchases (yes, like the Classics Seekers, I still buy from time to time) akin to "catch and release" fishing. I enjoy participating in these discussions, I like the characters, and I do think the toys are great. Often, I'll buy something, fiddle with it, then move it...just because I don't need to own the thing. Once I get the tactile sense of a toy, I can really appreciate the design and other fundamental characteristics, absorb those data, and either reject them or add them to my own aesthetic taste. After that, possession isn't as important.

Sorry for the ramble...just something (hopefully) interesting I've been thinking about lately...
I don't think it would fit stylistically.

Fitor is way too "manga style"...angular, dynamic, and crotch-thrusty. The Classics line is much more orthogonal and techy.

I would agree BUT when you look at figures like Drift which looks way Manga to me and he fits in nicely it makes me wonder....
he's supposed to look like this
Attachments:
open | download - Blue Jet cell.jpg (56.2 KB)
That's what I love about over-stylized 80's anime...if he really looked like that, he'd never be able to turn into anything remotely resembling a plane. Maybe some sort of art-deco-pinata?
Sanjeev
I consider most of my TF purchases (yes, like the Classics Seekers, I still buy from time to time) akin to "catch and release" fishing. I enjoy participating in these discussions, I like the characters, and I do think the toys are great. Often, I'll buy something, fiddle with it, then move it...just because I don't need to own the thing. Once I get the tactile sense of a toy, I can really appreciate the design and other fundamental characteristics, absorb those data, and either reject them or add them to my own aesthetic taste. After that, possession isn't as important.

I'm starting to feel more and more like that. I'm still really impressed by the intriguing concepts that the TF line gives us at a sparse but regular pace, but I think I have to go through all my post-2001 TFs and get rid of any that don't excite me when I pick them up. No more "it's the best version of the character" or "it's the only design that accurately replicates this"... only actual visceral toy-motivated excitement. With some exceptions for unique mechanical gimmicks.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Sanjeev

But notice how I keep posting on this board! I consider most of my TF purchases (yes, like the Classics Seekers, I still buy from time to time) akin to "catch and release" fishing. I enjoy participating in these discussions, I like the characters, and I do think the toys are great. Often, I'll buy something, fiddle with it, then move it...just because I don't need to own the thing. Once I get the tactile sense of a toy, I can really appreciate the design and other fundamental characteristics, absorb those data, and either reject them or add them to my own aesthetic taste. After that, possession isn't as important.

Sorry for the ramble...just something (hopefully) interesting I've been thinking about lately...

Been feeling the exact same thing for the past year or so. I have kept (most of) my Brave toys, and many of my G1 TF toys, but not all. Most of the rest of my collection changes based on things like whether my wife or kids bought the toy for me or not. Those I never get rid of. The rest I keep purely on whether I find it perpetually fun to play with. The rest I get rid of after having the "toy experience" with them, sort of akin to the more ephemeral experience of watching a movie or listing to music. It's probably a waste of money to do things this way, but at least I do get something back for them after I've had my fun.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
fujikuro
It's probably a waste of money to do things this way, but at least I do get something back for them after I've had my fun.

Heh...and this brings up yet another thing I've been thinking about.

In the process of selling off toys, you naturally wanna get top dollar (unless it's a trade or your selling it to a buddy to "keep it in the fam" or whatever like that). Well, the phrases that pop into one's head go something like "I paid ## for this toy" or "this is worth ## right now". Makes sense. In most cases, though, you ultimately end up losing money....unless it's a toy you somehow scored for a reasonable price and it just shot up in value because of demand. Or if you're a designer vinyl flipper! :P But whatever...9 times outta 10, you're gonna lose a bit (or more!)...even if you kept that damn toy in pristine condition like any OCD adult toy-collector worth his salt would do.

This used to bother me.

If I didn't get back at least what I had paid for the thing, I'd be annoyed. But I've come to realize this shit ain't real estate. While we possess it, we enjoy it...and that enjoyment--even if temporary--has a value associated with it. And again, as I said before, it's not just the "fun" I have playing with the thing...it's also the *design* value the thing has. It's what the thing teaches me. Where did the design succeed? Where did it fail? And it's not just what I can take from it and incorporate into my own doodlings. It's like the info goes into a bank inside my head--even if it doesn't apply to any of my current creative endeavors, it informs everything about my aesthetic choices.
Sanjeev
But whatever...9 times outta 10, you're gonna lose a bit (or more!)...even if you kept that damn toy in pristine condition like any OCD adult toy-collector worth his salt would do.

This used to bother me.

If I didn't get back at least what I had paid for the thing, I'd be annoyed. But I've come to realize this shit ain't real estate. While we possess it, we enjoy it...and that enjoyment--even if temporary--has a value associated with it.

Yeah, particularly in the case of something like Transformers. If you picked something up for 12 bucks at Target and unload it for 8 bucks a year later, well, hey, you just rented a toy for four dollars. That's cheaper than a movie ticket.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
That's pretty much how I have to think of it. Otherwise, I'd probably have to just get out of the hobby altogether. Really, I wish there were an easier/faster way to sell off the stuff I've bought than the current methods. It does make it so that I wait far too long and then frequently don't sell something as carefully as I can.

More serious than thou
fujikuro
Really, I wish there were an easier/faster way to sell off the stuff I've bought than the current methods. It does make it so that I wait far too long and then frequently don't sell something as carefully as I can.

That would have been Evilbay about five or six years ago before they really started double-fucking sellers across the board.

And, Go-butts. Man. They're so funky-fresh. I loved how so many of them just looked like a bipedal hotmess after they were transformed. No faces, no hands. Just... Parts where faces and hands should be. I generally find them to be more interesting than Transformers. And I think it would be fucking awesome if they started getting modernish reboots.

As long as they stay blocky.

And crazy looking.
Maybe we should have an official online swam meet. Where we pick a date then we list anything we want to trade. What would make it different from the for sale page is the "all at once" day of swap.
Supersentai
That's what I love about over-stylized 80's anime...if he really looked like that, he'd never be able to turn into anything remotely resembling a plane. Maybe some sort of art-deco-pinata?

If the Fewture version is anything like the garage kit it is based on, by replacing about every single part except a few minor ones. :/

I think the Machine Robo Rescue version strikes the best balance between the animated look and the classic toy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer