[MP-13] Soundwave

Posted by gingaio 
I couldn't figure out why the leg panels were designed that way in the first place. They look ugly floating off of the lower leg and they don't do a very good job of aping the look of the original toy. Shame on TicTac for such a stupid design choice. Not to mention the fact that they engineered a part that will break itself if not moved at exactly the right angle. Dumb.
B00
What I don't understand about that part is why the hell it's so frigg'n strong? There is no reason for it. These joints always bust open, My MP seekers, and MP-10 had similar joints break. You think they would learn by now to make the tension lower when using this style pin joint.

My MP seekers, and MP-10 had similar joints break.

Seriously? If I had three high-end MP Transformers break on me, I probably would stop collecting the line just out of principle. What part on the MP-10 broke? Was it the wheel cover on the leg?

I've only transformed mine once; I can't remember how the wheel covers were structured, but I'm wondering if it's possible to remove them. Would result in a more G1-toy-looking Prime anyway.
B00
gingaio
B00
My MP seekers, and MP-10 had similar joints break.

Seriously? If I had three high-end MP Transformers break on me, I probably would stop collecting the line just out of principle. What part on the MP-10 broke? Was it the wheel cover on the leg?

I've only transformed mine once; I can't remember how the wheel covers were structured, but I'm wondering if it's possible to remove them. Would result in a more G1-toy-looking Prime anyway.

The wing flip over joints split open on all my Takara and Hasbro MP seeker, with the exception of the MP-11 molds.

Yes the wheel cover's pin joint casing split open on the first transformation. Both legs. I hate that super tight pin joint design.

Edit: So my Soundwave's leg panel cover joints just busted open. Dammit, I knew I should have left it alone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2013 12:31AM by B00.
Just saw your update, Tom. Man, sorry to hear. That really sucks, to break both the bird and the 'bot.
Jesus this makes me really not even want to bother with the US one now. Why does this happen with high end stuff now and especially with many MP releases? Don't they stress test the final Production samples or do you think the production ramp up messes up their tolerances? They can't just assume we will all continue to buy nice looking crap. I even found out that all the black rodimus primes have a flawed left leg from the factory. All of them! It would be an extreme, but will we get to the point of millions of modern collector toys that stay sealed because they are unbroken?

- Mike

Deep in the Hasbro Jungle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2013 11:22PM by Mr. Ginrai.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Depressing to hear, for sure...
Mr. Ginrai
Jesus this makes me really not even want to bother with the US one now. Why does this happen with high end stuff now and especially with many MP releases? Don't they stress test the final Production samples or do you think the production ramp up messes up their tolerances?

It's the third-party companies like Mech Ideas and Fans Toys that have been stepping up lately, as far as deliverying quality and fun. Takaratomy doesn't seem to give a shit.

I swear, I haven't messed with toys as much as I have the Jumpstarter twins in a long time. MP Sideswipe is standing in a corner of the bookshelf, untouched, but the Jumpstarters are the ones I keep transforming and posing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2013 02:37AM by gingaio.
B00
At least I got a replacement for Laserbeak. The breakage on Soundwave is minor for now, but I wont be transforming him again. I still have no idea why those components are so frakk'n tight, even if they were loose as noodles they would still work properly and not break.

Sideswipe and Red haven't broken anything yet, and they have been transformed like crazy. Here's hoping that the Fair Lady bros. wont have any issues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2013 08:37PM by B00.
B00
So my Soundwave's leg panel cover joints just busted open. Dammit, I knew I should have left it alone.

Are those the covers where FRumble's guns are supposed to be stored?
You can now go out and start "bombing" some "boxes" with, uh, "Boxbomber":

[www.bigbadtoystore.com]

Which, really, looks like a nice update to yet another questionable Transformer design.

I got a box with the two sets of MP ccaassetteess. They're small, insubstantial, over-priced, and glorious. I was really pleased until I remembered how much they cost and then I was really sad, but somehow still really okay because it's "not that I can't afford it".

I didn't find the transformations to be at all intuitive and I was paranoid about breaking the various thin parts. Yet at the same time I can't imagine too many ways around the sheer tiny-ness of the pieces in order to achieve the no-loose-parts effect that they do. And just about every useless surface on them is detailed. It's nuts.

I'll likely pick up a US release for the yellar visor look and some extra ccaasseetteess. And spare parts in case I ever need them.
Do you not just love how the bird head is perfectly perched?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2013 08:39AM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - KFC10004.jpg (37.6 KB)
I just read a statement from TF Source on TFW regarding delays in shipping MP Soundwave. It seems to suggest Takara-Tomy is not even saying when the next batch will be shipped.

Do you suppose this is related to the QC issues mentioned here? The statement from TF Source guesses it may be pushed back to match the US release, but I am having trouble guessing why that would be.

Thank you
B00
Gcrush
B00
So my Soundwave's leg panel cover joints just busted open. Dammit, I knew I should have left it alone.

Are those the covers where FRumble's guns are supposed to be stored?

No, it's those long pieces on the side of Soundwave's leg.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2013 10:38PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - TF Rumble 5-001.jpg (106.8 KB)
gingaio
Blue Frumble. As underwhelming as his brother, from a toy perspective. Still, nice to have a good-looking Showy version, finally.

It's a handsome figure, fer sure. But you're right that it ain't a toy. I got a new respect for the durability of the vintage ccaasseetteess after transforming these miniscule feats of engineering. Show-y, but not toy-y.
Does anyone know how to attach the pile-driver-holder piece like this?

I can't seem to get it to stay in place like that. Is this just some clever photography?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2013 09:49PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - RIM.JPG (68.9 KB)
So Masterpiece Soundwave was supposed to go up on the TRU website today at 9am Eastern. So of course they released it around 5:30am Eastern or so, sold out in under an hour.

I was half regretting paying so much to import it before it was officially announced for domestic release, especially because the TRU one included all the tapes for much cheaper. But as I expected, I'll probably never see it in the wild anyway.
I was walking throught the TRU this weekend with my niece while she was looking for new Monster High dolls, when lo an behold there sat the US release of MP-13 in his gigantic boxed glory. In a moment of robot induced weakness I snatch him up and purchase him.

All in all I like him a lot. I will admit that transforming him is not a fun process...the tightness of the clicky hip joint is terrifying. Fortunatly, he looks best as a robot and will stay that way because lets face it a miniature boom box is absurd here in the 21st century.

I really like the tapes. Frenzy and Rumble are my favorites. Laserbeak and Buzzsaw are cool, but seem really fragile. Let's face it Ravage is pretty lame, but so was his orginal version so no harm no foul...

Back to Soudwave, I had braced myself for him to be tiny, but I was pleasantly suprised. He was taller than I expected. As far as die-cast content, well there ain't that much....In all fairness though I the G1 Soundwave was kind of light on metal in comparison to many of the others of that era... All in all I am pretty happy with him. Has anyone else found him in the wild? I wasn't expecting to find him, heck I wasn't looking for him but I am glad I picked him up...
fel9
Has anyone else found him in the wild?

Yes, but I had help. I was alerted to the presence of a shipment at my not-so-local TRU a couple weeks ago via the TF boards.

I called the store to see if they had any left and they did, so I went and got one.

Judging by the posts on said boards, it looks like distribution has evened out. Most people who wanted one seem to have been able to find one.

Thank you
Funny thing is I wasn't even looking for one...I mean I wanted one but I never thought I would actually find one.
Funny thing 2 as I was walking around the strore I was asked several times, "are you going to buy that?" Included in that list of askers was one guy in a Decepticon shirt who was very emphatic (meaning he was scaring my niece) about wanting it.
I was like Fel9. I wasn't even looking for a Transformer because the last few months have been a sea of not wanted Beast Hunters and a hodgepodge of stuff no one wanted but out of habit I went over the the Transformers section and saw both the Soundwave & Acid Storm! Because acid is a not really known and just a repaint I left him thinking he will go the way of Thundercracker (Being on the shelf forever.) But there were two Soundwaves. 2!!!! They even put security alarms on him. He was the 1st TF I've ever seen with a security alarm on him.

EVERYONE that worked at TRU said. "Oh you actually got one! cool!" We get in about two a week. You were lucky. Then the next day I went back just to see if they would be gone and there were two more. I NEVER EVER saw a MP-10 Prime figure. (Still looking for one folks that I can afford.) A guy at TRU said that he heard through the grapevine that TRU might do a 2nd wave of MP-Prime, since they were in so much demand. I HOPE I HOPE I HOPE. BBTS had a 2nd wave order so maybe it might be true.

Back to Soundwave.

He is awesome as everyone says and with all the talk about diecast or not I like the more plastic VS. the Heavy Brick of MP-01 as far as play value. I like the fact that the U.S. Hasbro versions is the one to get because we get all of the cassettes (but one). The only thing I'm going to do is paint the eyes red.

All the cassettes are fun. I keep going. "I can't believe that these can turn into a cassettes and it makes you transform them over and over." The only QC problem is that buzsaw has a few missing places of silver paint where the parts came in contact with other parts.

I disagree with Fel9 that Ravage is the lame one. It is definitely the most complicated to transform by a wide margin but it is also the hardest to believe that transforms into a cassette. I wish the head could rotate some type of way or the jaw could move but the figure is spot on. Don't forget to flip out the nose! (I thought it didn't have a nose one until I see I missed a step, which I caught on Youtube.) and remember to arc the back to give it a true ravage stance!

The box says that Rumble is the black and red one (Frenzy) and as I've always thought and in the cartoon Rumble in the purple one. I did like the guy on the youtube video and just went "F" it. Rumble is the purple one no matter what the box says. they got it wrong.

A WEIRD FACT ABOUT SCALE.

The cassettes are accurately to scale to each other and all of them in turn are in scale to Soundwave. Soundwave is accurately to scale to MP-10 OP. MP-10 is accurately to scale to Spike . BUT based on what I've seen (I don't have one.) Spike is 1/2 the size of Rumble/Frenzy which on the cartoon are the size of a regular person. To make matters more confusing I would argue that Spike is accurately in scale with Lazerbeak/Buzzsaw and if not accurate to Ravage pretty darn close. The classic Ravage that came with Hound might be more accurate in scale but you can make a point of either.

IF YOU TIMED IT RIGHT SOUNDWAVE WAS $101.00 PLUS TAX!!!!!

When the Soundwave hit the shelf TRU was offering a 15% coupon to one regular priced item bringing the $119.00 Soundwave to $101.00 plus tax. I didn't have my coupon and bought mine about 30 minutes before the time the store was closing on the 17th. (The last day for the 15% off) I didn't want to risk the figure being gone so I bought it for $119.00 but if I had bought it on the 16th or if I had brought the coupon I would have gotten the figure for $101.00 WOW!

The next time they run that 15% or 20% coupon I'm going to take the figure back then re-buy it with the 15% of coupon. Done that before.

Final thought. Contrary to popular thought. There is one cassette left missing. Where is ratbat?
Backing up to MP 10. I ordered him online at the very second they started preorders...Kind of a fluke really. I saw a posting about him on my morning coffee rounds of the websites I like so I bit. Anyway, it was only after the fact that I learned that he was super hard to find. That is why I didn't even try with Soundwave. The funny thing is that I have not seen hide nor hair of Acid Storm.

Marvin Lee: Meh...Ravage. I think my dislike is more rooted in my dislike of the original....then there was the awful looking Alternators version...bah...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Don't think about the scale too much, Marvin. There's no solution--it'll make your head spin! ;)
Don't think about the scale too much, Marvin. There's no solution--it'll make your head spin! ;)

I know right. Usually I just except that some things are out of scale to complexity, cost or just can't be done (Unicron, Metroplex etc.) But what I find funny this time around is everything is correct and to scale... but then it isn't. It's like 1 plus 1 is two but then you see that it isn't. or from a engineering standpoint a bumble bee isn't suppose to be able to fly for it's size and weight compared to it's wing size but no one told the bumble bee. How can it be all right but them be wrong.

Are their plans to do a ratbat cassette? They did him with the disk. Also someone said that Ratbat's character was more independent than the others choosing to be alone more so than being a part of Soundwave.

Fel9

You are right and wrong about the alternators Ravage. That rehash repaint of Tracks with the Ravage head was just insulting but I gotta tell you that Alternators Black versions of Ravage is the SHIT! Best version of ravage especially the head sculpt. One of the hardest to find and I lucked up and saw one just sitting on a shelf at Walmart on day..
But how could they release ratba... oh, Soundblaster repaint, of course.

What about poor Slugfest and Overkill?
I meant the black Jaguar version of Ravage. That had to be the best real car/ robot connection I ever saw. If you can get the black jaguar ravage worth it even with the mark up.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Man, I loved Slugfest and Overkill...I'd love to pick up MP versions of just them...
MP Soundwave sold.

- Mike

Deep in the Hasbro Jungle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2013 11:02PM by Mr. Ginrai.
Gcrush
Does anyone know how to attach the pile-driver-holder piece like this?

I can't seem to get it to stay in place like that. Is this just some clever photography?

Mystery solved, courtesy of Dectective MP Soundwave US Ambassador. It appears that not only was my TicTac Soundwave missing parts because of QC errors, the caasseettees were, too.

The reason my FRumble couldn't attach his massive, circular glutes the same as seen in that picture? It was missing the tab to do so. Which I only found out because I broke down and picked up the "It's Not That I Can't Afford It On Ebay, But Why Should I Have To?" US version of Soundwave. Which, by the way, had perfect quality control. So between the TicTac and US versions I was able to cobble together a perfect, yellar visor Soundwave and I got buncha extry caasseettees in the process. This has perfect symmetry with my lifestyle: stupid, expensive, and satisfying.

Actually, I wish that the basic MP Soundwave design incorporated a rotating eye visor like Grimlock. There's enough space there that they could have been able to do that. For the money, the TRU version is definitely a better value - though the box is still oversized the the instructions are woefully incomplete.

In case it hasn't been mentioned before, there are some subtle differences between the TT/TRU versions. For those interested, here are the ones I noticed so far (the birds appear to be identical):

Soundwave's visor: TT is red, TRU is yellow.
Soundwave's right shin: TT has no markings, TRU has a safety marking tampo printed.
Soundwave's feet: TT has silver paint on the opening gun storage panels, TRU is unpainted.
Soundwave's screws: TT has black coated screws, TRU has silver uncoated screws.

Frenzy/Rumble's torso/legs: TT has vac-metal gold highlights, TRU has painted gold highlights.
Frenzy/Rumble's shoulder pins: TT has black pins, TRU has silver pins.
Frenzy/Rumble's color scheme: TT has blue-ish tint, TRU has purple-ish tint; TT/TRU reds are similar.

Ravage's color: TT has glossy black plastic, TRU has flat black plastic.
So I have been living with ol' Soundwave for a couple of weeks now and I have a couple of thoughts...
1.) Transforming him is harrowing...
2.) The instructions are useless...I had to watch a youtube video to get it right...yet more proof that sequential illustration design is way more difficult than it seems...
3.) Still don't like ravage.
4.) Gcrush: Thanks for the tip with the piledriver holders...
5.) I feel like Soundwave plus the cassettes was worth the $120.00us I paid, but see no way that the Bruticus/Grimlock Platinum editions are worth anywhere near that...They look cheap....

Which brings me to my last thought... I for the most part (I'm looking at you Megatron) like the Masterpiece series. Yes they are expensive, but If I remember correctly back when I was a kid and buying G1Transformers at the Lionel Playworld they were always more expensive than the surrounding toys. I remember vividly discussions with the parents as to why I wanted a transformer instead of two of something else. Now I know that from $15.00us to $85.00us is more than just inflation when it comes to Sideswipes. Is the complexity worth it? Do I really need super articulation? Is the metal content enough to justify the price? Is the engineering? All I know is that I have Wheeljack on preorder and can't wait to get him....just saying...
Masterpiece Ratbat announced! It's a bit pricey, but the good news is that it includes Soundblaster.

Thank you
Masterpiece Ratbat announced! It's a bit pricey, but the good news is that it includes Soundblaster.

Personally I just want the ratbat.

Question:

Has anyone out there painted Soundwaves eyes red? I don't want to just add paint on top of the screen but want to paint under the visor red to make it look more professional. I took the back screw out of his head but nothing happened so I was wondering if anyone had been able to dis-assemble the head properly. If so please tell/show me how.
Masterpiece Soundwave is available for shipping on the TRU website:

[www.toysrus.com]

I think friends and family starts tomorrow, but he may be out of stock by then...
....And...he's gone.....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer