[MP-13] Soundwave

Posted by gingaio 
So you know, MP Rumble and Ravage set is up for preorder at BBTS.

More serious than thou
And Frenzy/Buzzsaw have been added, too.

Awww yeeaaahh.

I'm way more excited about the tapes than Soundwave itself. For a second, the $60 sticker price seemed high for the casseticon two-packs, but then I remembered that a while back, I paid $70 for Perfect Effect's Frumble twins, which, while good for their time, don't come near to what Takaratomy have done here.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2012 03:34AM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - TAK11583.jpg (65.1 KB)
open | download - TAK11574.jpg (66.8 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Fug me...those look sick. Ravage and Buzzsaw look AMAZING. Frumble looks like he's (they've) been hitting the gym! Perhaps a bit too athletic, build-wise? But I'm nitpicking--I'll probably get these...even if I'll probably end up skipping Soundwave. What can I say? I'm like that.
Rev, you saucy beast...yeah, the shoulders are a bit bulky on Frumble, but yeah, like that'll make a difference to me and the rest of the TF nerds.

TT is really feather-teasing us by putting Ravage and Frumble in their box-art poses. Ridiculous.
I think this is the first time I've seen the Birdbot with the camera open. Cool!

I also noticed that Catdogbot has a new head transformation. Cool?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2012 10:49PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - 1350827631_4.jpg (56.6 KB)
open | download - 1350827631_5.jpg (55.6 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Do we know how much diecast (if any) is in the cassette dudes? At 4200 yen a pair, it's kind of a tough sell without a lil something-something...
Sanjeev
Do we know how much diecast (if any) is in the cassette dudes? At 4200 yen a pair, it's kind of a tough sell without a lil something-something...

Do the pins in the hinges count? Because aside from that, I'm guessing that the price is there simply because they can get away with it.
Sanjeev

For me, it's just gonna be a big disappointment if the bits that ought to be chrome aren't.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
fujikuro
For me, it's just gonna be a big disappointment if the bits that ought to be chrome aren't.

That's a good point too.

But I dunno...they're $60 per pair at bbts. They psychological barrier is just too much for me. I'm a baller, but I'm not a gingaio-baller...
Well, we have yet to see real shots of product that is closer to actual production items. I';m not so keen on Buzzsaw's yellow color. It just looks too matte in its finish, whether really shiny or not. I'd prefer gold flake like the G1 toy. I understand that they're going for cartoon-accuracy with these in general, but that just doesn't seem to fit in with most of the rest of the line. I suspect we'll see some changes before all is said and done. I'm sticking with my pre-orders for now until I see what things are really looking like.

$60 a pop? Eh, that's a tad much, but we all have our area of focus. Mine is primarily transforming bots. Yours frequently involves vinyl, which constitutes probably like 2% of my collection. So, I'd personally rather spend the 60 bucks on this than on some kaiju. I get more play value out of these. My very few Gamera/Ultra/Godzilla vinyls get looked at and pretty much never touched.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
True indeed--it's all relative, of course. And value is extremely subjective: I'm sure *most* adults our age would shit an eggroll if they saw how much we spent on any sorts of these toys!

To each their own...but it's my understanding that the tape dudes are the same size as the G1/Microman versions. So it doesn't "feel" like much toy for the money...to me.
Sanjeev
True indeed--it's all relative, of course. And value is extremely subjective: I'm sure *most* adults our age would shit an eggroll if they saw how much we spent on any sorts of these toys!

I've shat an egg roll, but it's not a problem to just wipe up with a couple bills.

But yeah, word is that the new Frumble should fit in the G1 Soundwave's chest. The Soundwave/Frumble trio were pretty awesome to begin with, so the updates are not exactly bringing that much new or reinvented to the table. I can see why some people aren't that excited.

I'm not that excited about Soundwave, but the tapes...yeah! Like 'Jeev, though, I'm really hoping for diecast, if only just in the feet like with the G1s. If it's all plastic, it'll be disappointing.

The thing that always bugged me about the CHUG figs is that even though some of them were bigger than their vintage counterparts, they always felt less substantial and cheapy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2012 04:37PM by gingaio.
Next month can't come soon enough!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2012 12:18PM by chen.
Attachments:
open | download - 1356364663_9.jpg (81.7 KB)
He looks like he's wearing sneakers.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Got my Soundwave, very minimal diecast, just in the feet but it's a VERY nice piece. Larger then Starscream but a little shorter then Prime. A little overpriced but mainly due to high shipping costs. The box is huge since it's packaged in robot mode and in typical Takara all the acessories are laid out with huge open spaces. Could easily have been shipped in player mode with all the extra stuff packed together in a box a third of the size but I guess the whole MP schtick is to have big boxes that makes you feel like your buying something special.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2013 05:50PM by chen.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0238.JPG (334 KB)
I dunno, the box for sideswipe was surprisingly compact...

I've also seen on other message boards that people are having a lot of QC issues with this release, from misaligned hips to paint smears on the head to scratches on the tape deck opening. Any problems with yours?
Yeah the box was nice and compact then I get this box and its massive. It also made a lot of places insist on shipping by EMS because of the size, but oh well. No quality issues with Soundwave but I had a hell of a time transforming Laserbeak that I thought I might break it parts were super tight. There are some sprue marks but I've gotten that on SOC's but the paint is vastly better then Sideswipe or Red Alert.
Had a chance to mess with it. Initial impressions:

1) Oversized box is stupid. Prefer the environmental friendliness and efficiency of the MP Lambor box design.

2) Toy is big and plasticky and solid and very G1. Nice.

3) Transformation is simple, though the minor origami with the leg panels isn't necessary...seems like transformation for transformation's sake, though it was worse on Lambor. Could live without.

4) QC gremlins strike again. The seam along the right waist area was gapped. Seems like there was something inside keeping both halves of the waist from snapping shut (left waist area was assembled properly). Returned to BBTS and awaiting exchange. Because the store's out of stock, I get to preorder the next batch at the increased price (I had bought this one with a mistakenly lower price from BBTS....karma exchange).

5) Prowl (along with Hound) is my one of my favorite Transformers. Really looking forward to it, assuming it doesn't get screwed by bad QC.
B00
I would have had mine Saturday, but fed ex got delayed by snowy roads. Won't get it till Tues now.

The paint is clean on mine, a welcome change from red alert and side swipe. There's not much I can add that hasn't already been said by gingaio.

Laserbeak is way too tight, and it rubs his paint off.

The feet have diecast.

The chest holds 3 cassettes, and has a clever gimmick for pushing the tapes forward one by one

The fast forward and rewind buttons on his waist push in.

Fits G1 cassettes and vice versa.

Good luck trying to keep those index fingers on.

Face is dead on perfect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2013 01:59AM by B00.
So...how does MP Soundwave compare in size to the G1 version? If the cassettes from G1 fit him and vise versa then are they about the same size?
B00
Mp sound wave is much taller than G1. But the cassette storage is the same size. The door looks a little small on mp soundwave in alt mode.

As unpleasant as the MP-10 Prime from TRU experience was, I'd be lying if I said I didn't like spending half as much to get it. I was about to pull the trigger on MP Soundwave, so I am eagerly awaiting more news.

Thank you
B00
I always buy the JP release. I know the US TRU exclusive thing will always be a huge bust. My TRU only got 2 boxes of MP 10. The employees divided them up among themselves and none of them got put on the shelf. All of them were put in Layaway, by the employees. It was bull shit. The after market prices on US MP's aren't much better than the original JP price. So if I'm going to spend the same amount, I'd rather avoid the BS and get it much sooner. It is cool that ALL the tapes will come with the US version, but good luck getting him at store price. Also Hasbro always tinkers with the colors, Rodimus was just ugly, and Prime was a little more orange than cherry red.

I noticed it was tight, too, and was very careful in swinging out the gun the first time. Still had to use more force than I wanted to.

Talked to Mr. Crush about this, and the QC gremlins have hit this piece. He was missing the transparent piece on one of Soundwave's arms (to stand Lazerbeak), and the waist on mine wasn't snapped in all the way (I've returned it to BBTS). Hopefully, the replacement's fine, but QC (including the paint snafus with Sideswipe/Red Alert) with TT has been terrible.
B00
TT is rushing to get these guys to market to compete with the 3rd party guys (speculation only) and quality is taking a hit for it.

My Laserbeak broke after about 10 transformations. The axle casing just snapped. Replacing it will be impossible due to the pin assembly of his entire body. I might have to get 2 buzzsaws and paint one red. anyway, handle Laserbeak with extreme care.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2013 09:12PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - broke.jpg (380.8 KB)
Okay trans fans....Images of the TRU exclusive release of MP Soundwave...now with yellow eyes instead of red...(and apparently he comes will all of the tapes!?!...)

[www.tfw2005.com]
Looks like another TRU exclusive I'll be ready this time. What color was his eyes on the show? Most Decepticons had red eyes on the show. Also no ratbat.
This is gonna suck big time. Acid storm will shelf warm just like thunder cracker and the tru employees will layaway the sound waves like they did with the primes and throw them on eBay. We actually caught employees doing it at a nearby tru and the manager told my friend she knew what they were doing and couldn't do anything about it because the employees had not broken any store policy. My brother and I still don't have mp prime and after the warehouse in NJ getting flooded in sandy I doubt I will ever get one from retail even at TRUs high prices. They better get it together and decide on the soundwave price as well.

- Mike

Deep in the Hasbro Jungle
Marvin Lee
Looks like another TRU exclusive I'll be ready this time. What color was his eyes on the show? Most Decepticons had red eyes on the show. Also no ratbat.

Show had a red visor, toy had yellow. Would have been nice to get a swappable visor like MP Grimcock.
Mr. Ginrai
This is gonna suck big time. Acid storm will shelf warm just like thunder cracker and the tru employees will layaway the sound waves like they did with the primes and throw them on eBay. We actually caught employees doing it at a nearby tru and the manager told my friend she knew what they were doing and couldn't do anything about it because the employees had not broken any store policy. My brother and I still don't have mp prime and after the warehouse in NJ getting flooded in sandy I doubt I will ever get one from retail even at TRUs high prices. They better get it together and decide on the soundwave price as well.

I will admit to lurking on certain boards for a couple of weeks until the TRU pre-order went live. I selected the store delivery option and things went smoothly, but I will admit that i grabbed him seconds after he went up for preorder. Later his price went up and they nixed in store delivery. I never saw him on the shelf though...

I will admit that the Acid Storm baffles me when picking up the Lambor as Sideswipe seems like a slam dunk...
I didn't get a prime either But because of my cheapness. I can't believe that TRU would just say that's all the primed you can get especially since Prime is the most popular TT character ever.
Got a chance to mess with MP Frumble. Frumble is...tiny. You have to be a fan. Otherwise, it falls into the category of, "Did i just pay $60 (or $30, if you split the cost with Ravage) for this?"

Actually, you ask yourself that even if you are a fan. Compared to Laserbeak, it...well, it doesn't shatter into pieces on you as Laserbeak has for a number of people already, so that's a good thing. Seems a bit sturdier, but if it does break, it'll be because Takaratomy just designed it too small, with tiny little pins and hinges. If Frumble were based on the size fo an actual cassette, it would be ideal.

Clearly I'm willing to pay good money for Frumble

MP Frumble feels about as substantial as Perfect Effect Frumble. MP Frumble is definitely more Showy, but I did appreciate the stubbiness of Perfect Effect Frumble. And they come out to exactly the same price (2 Casseticons for $60) and weigh about the same in your hand.

Some diecast feet would have been nice.

Oh, and I bought two sets, and one of the Frumbles had a forehead that was partially gouged out by something. Just nasty looking and the plastic was totally ripped and twisted in that part of the head. I emailed BBTS to request an exchange, and the guy emailed back and apologized for the "minor" defect and tried to talk me out of it by saying that the new Frumble could be just as screwed up. He may have a point, but saying that the products you sell have a good chance of being defective is not the best customer sales strategy. Fortunately, he seems willing to do the exchange. Man, Takaratomy's QC is teh sucks. Between the MP Soundwave and Frumble/Ravage set, I've had significant structural defects in both pieces.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2013 10:25PM by gingaio.
gingaio
Oh, and I bought two sets, and one of the Frumbles had a forehead that was partially gouged out by something. Just nasty looking and the plastic was totally ripped and twisted in that part of the head. Man, Takaratomy's QC is teh sucks. Between the MP Soundwave and Frumble/Ravage set, I've had significant structural defects in both pieces.

Gah! What the fuck? You'd think that for the premium they're charging there wouldn't be these QC problems. But if you thought that, you'd be wrong. So... The moral of the fibre is... Fuck us? Yeah. I guess that's it.

How's the doggie that Frumbled Eggs comes with?

Oh, and how 'bout that yellar visor MP Soundwave coming to the States? I think it looks better than the Commie Vizor. Might have to pick one up for spare parts and fashion upgrades.
Gcrush
How's the doggie that Frumbled Eggs comes with?

Oh, and how 'bout that yellar visor MP Soundwave coming to the States? I think it looks better than the Commie Vizor. Might have to pick one up for spare parts and fashion upgrades.

Didn't care enough for Ravage to keep it. It's on the eBay bidding block. I think Peaugh said it best when he said, "I think the vintage toy actually looks MORE like the character," or something to that effect. As toys, and premium-priced toys, Takaratomy's casseticons are really stretching it. Frumble I made an exception for, but that's it.

Hasbro's Soundwave looks neat with the yellow eyes. I like how some of Hasbro's MP releases are following toy colors (Rodimus, Soundwave). That said, I'm still a bit heartbroken over how Soundwave played out. Such an almost-good toy. The leg panels I really worried would snap. And guess what?

Hate to play the schadenfreude card, but I am relieved I sold mine before something like this happened.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yikes. I wonder if the QC on the US release will be ANY better... :/
Funny in regards to this. I've had no problems with any of these (so far). I have to make the assumption that the rest of you are as careful as I am when transforming a nearly $200 toy, so it can't just be an issue of people with ham hands. As for the paint issues and that f'ed up head on your Frumble, well that does suck big time. People would be up in arms if the third party stuff had these issues, and here we get them for the "real" figures.

More serious than thou
fujikuro
Funny in regards to this. I've had no problems with any of these (so far). I have to make the assumption that the rest of you are as careful as I am when transforming a nearly $200 toy, so it can't just be an issue of people with ham hands. As for the paint issues and that f'ed up head on your Frumble, well that does suck big time. People would be up in arms if the third party stuff had these issues, and here we get them for the "real" figures.

Yeah. If I wasn't hearing about these kinds of breakages on TF boards whose members probably kid-glove their toys, I would be more skeptical.

Anyway, Frumble really does test your Frumble Fanboyhood. It really does feel so slight and inconsequential in hand. The stuff of cereal-box toys, I'm telling you!

Here's a quick size chart.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2013 04:16PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - TF Rumble 2-001.jpg (84.8 KB)
open | download - TF Rumble 3-001.jpg (110.3 KB)
B00
gingaio

Damn, I had concerns about this part breaking. Looks like I wont be transforming Soundwave again. I managed to get a replacement for my busted Laserbeak, I doubt I can get a replacement if my Soundwave breaks.

The TRU Soundwave sounds awesome, but I doubt I'll ever get a hold of one. And aftermarket prices will probly be awful.

Click here to login

footer