[MP] iGear Purple-Nurple Prime

Posted by Gcrush 
I was waiting to see iGear bust out the Diaclone colored Prime they showed off last year, but that might never happen. So I picked up a Purple-Nurple Prime.

While the color scheme is gloriously garish, the final product reminds me why I sold my original MP Prime years ago. The transformation and parts-fit is too fiddly and the detents on the ratchet joints are too widely spaced to be of much use. It's neither a simple nor special design in a good way. It can barely hold its own gun. Overall, the original design feels like so much less than it could have been. MP Grimlock remains the gold standard of how to not fuck-up a modern update on a classic design.

Specific to iGear, the fact that they simply shrunk the design seemingly without compensating for losses in material thickness means the whole toy is as light as a Gundam model and feels about as durable. Because it's a knock-off, the fit and finish are lacking and generally below what I would expect from a $15 Hasbro mass-market release. One foot on mine was unattached in the box because it has a broken "cup" on the inside where the ankle post is supposed to nest. The faux-hydraulics on the back of each wrist are broken. Several parts were not seated or come off easily, like the gun barrels and the wrist collars. And two pegs on the back of the bumper were so long that they prevented the chest halves from closing when in robot mode; I had to trim them. There is lots of excess flash on various pieces. The paint is shitty, with both overspray and chips. And the bonus Megatron head is so lacking in detail that it is a barely discernible lump of gray plastic. I’ve contacted iGear about getting a replacement foot and wrist hinges, so we’ll see what they say.

Overall, for around $70 you get an almost finished, model-quality toy of a Transformer that has lots of bugs in the design. At first I was a little pissed off about the value, but I felt better when I reflected on the utter piece of shit that was Hasbro’s MP Rodimus Jocksnuffer. For around the same price (not to mention free international delivery!) I got a more handsome, if not equally buggy, toy with more cool shit included. And that’s not bad. One day I will bust out the craft supplies and finish the toy off the way it should be.

I don’t know if the same can be said of all the iGear Faith Leaders, but I’m basically happy with this one. Here's some other dood's review of the same toy and he's cool with it. You might be, too.
Gcrush Wrote:
>
> Specific to iGear, the fact that they simply
> shrunk the design seemingly without compensating
> for losses in material thickness means the whole
> toy is as light as a Gundam model and feels about
> as durable. Because it's a knock-off, the fit and
> finish are lacking and generally below what I
> would expect from a $15 Hasbro mass-market
> release.

> Overall, for around $70 you get an almost
> finished, model-quality toy of a Transformer that
> has lots of bugs in the design.

Maybe they should've just sold it as an unassembled kit.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
asterphage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe they should've just sold it as an
> unassembled kit.

I would be down for that if cutting out the assembly cost of the labor would reduce the price of the product. Building a model is fine with me, but would other Trannyfannys be down with that?

I think the single biggest improvement they could have made in ripping of MP Prime would have been to not rip off MP Prime. But, again, for $70 it's a pretty reasonable buy considering TEH MARKET.
Gcrush Wrote:
>
> I would be down for that if cutting out the
> assembly cost of the labor would reduce the price
> of the product. Building a model is fine with me,
> but would other Trannyfannys be down with that?

I think many would if it had quality paint applications - of which I don't think there would need to be a huge amount, considering the MP toy design's parts breakdown. Since this is a smaller release for a more limited audience anyway, it might be worth the risk.

But then, I'm the type who's infuriated when I get a toy with overtightened screws or whatever, and assembling something myself, so it's my own fault if something gets messed up, is something I'm much more at peace with. So I may be biased here.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
So... iGear hasn't responded to the email I sent them with the pictures of Purple Prime's broken parts. That makes iSad.
So, iGear never, ever replied to my question about getting a replacement ankle. That sucks.

In other news, I'm going to take some pics of MP-10 next to iGear's PNP-01...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2012 03:07AM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - MP101.jpg (98.9 KB)
open | download - MP102.jpg (96.8 KB)
open | download - MP103.jpg (87.3 KB)
open | download - MP104.jpg (149.2 KB)
Picture Pages!

MP-10 is a much bigger truck than Purple Nurple Not-Prime (PNNP).

Both MP-10 and PNNP have gross trailer cankles.

MP-10 has nice side mirrors and a sculpted ugly robot insignia.

PNNP has painted nipple lights.

MP-10 has a bullshit problem keeping its legs closed.

Roller is about 30% the size of PNNP.

Roller is badass.

MP-10 is ready to drop its Matrix if boarded by Imperials.

MP-10 works out harder than you do and wears sexy faux shin-vents.

MP-10 has floppy boot-top beer coozies.

PNNP sure has a lot of exposed pistons and crippling detent spacing in the hips.

PNNP has no dick lights.

MP-10 has an awesome gun-hump!

"What the fuck is this mess?"

"Damn! It's a gun! It's YOUR gun, bro!"

"I see your schwartz is bigger than mine..."

Miami-Vice Primes Have Shit Ankles!

MP-10 has a picking finger.

PNNP has some tilt to its neck stump.

Both are over-priced.

"Surprise! Roller has your gun! Roller is the best!"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2012 03:47AM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - MP105.jpg (106.6 KB)
open | download - MP106.jpg (91.7 KB)
open | download - MP107.jpg (99.3 KB)
open | download - MP109.jpg (163.3 KB)
The shitty smell-phone pics make enough of a comparison to let you see how much better the Takara MP-10 is than PNNP. Seeing how Hasbro's MP-10 will cost about $30 more than PNNP, there's no question which one you should get. The iGear NPs are outmoded now. I really can't think of any reason someone should get one.

Having said that, MP-10 ain't perfect, either:

The ankles on mine are incredibly loose. The forward/backward movement looks like it could be tightened up with a screw driver, but the lateral movement is on a rivet that can't be tightened without some kind of gap filler. That sucks.

The flexing motion in the shoulders is held in place with nothing but a pin. This will surely wear down quickly. They really should have used a screw to secure it.

The tops of the shins spin pretty freely on mine. They need beefing up, too.

There is no tilt motion to the head.

No detents on lateral hip motion.

Transformation has very little clearance in most places.

The legs don't peg together well in truck mode.

The fuel efficiency is horrible.

Daniel appears to be made out of candy.

Other than that, it's perfect!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2012 03:37AM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - MP108.jpg (167.1 KB)
open | download - MP110.jpg (165.1 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer