> The robots with treads for legs also have tread
> patterns on their dicks.

NOW I'm interested!

> One robot has a fully sculpted face behind its
> mouth guard.

Is he smiling or frowning?

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
I wish they were just a little smaller than MP-10 prime just to get a 24" devistator or basically make the vehicle modes on scale with the MP-10 but I know it's a pipe dream. When devistator came out when I was little I kept wondering why he wasn't yellow because I thought all construction equipment things were yellow. Then I learned that some were green especially overseas. Now like Sanjeev I got lime green and purple on the brain. I'm going to look at the reviews and decide for myself. Hasbro/Takara seem to always be late to the party but when they do step up.
Marvin Lee Wrote:
>
> When devistator came out when I was little I kept
> wondering why he wasn't yellow because I thought all
> construction equipment things were yellow. Then I
> learned that some were green especially overseas.

I always try to stop and take a picture when I spot a mint green piece of machinery. Recently I passed a whole pack of 'em, five or six trucks and earth-movers, by the side of route 80 in Jersey. I wanted to go back for a photo, but it was raining and I'd have to take a u-turn, go back a couple of miles, turn around again and then find a place to stop...

-Paul Segal

Sanjeev (Admin)
It was my understanding that that shade of green used on Devastator was very common in Japan. Either way, even if the yellow Giant looks super-cool and "realistic", it's never going to supplant good ol' green-n-purple for Devastator in my mind.

Of course, it's all subjective. I prefer the Diaclone colors for Ultra Magnus (well...Powered Convoy) even if I didn't grow up with that color scheme for the character.
Yup, Magnus in his Dia-Colours looked much cooler imho.

Of course, if he wasn't pressed in Red, White and Bloo here in the States, it wouldn't have been convincing at all when he jumped in the WWF rasslin' ring and put the pounding on Coco Beware and the Hart Foundation after they ambushed Sgt. Slaughter.

U-S-A ! U-S-A! That's right Magnus, tear out their freakin' catalytic convertors!!!
asterphage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oversized limbs, eh?

Yeah. The effect is pretty cool - best on the robots who collapse at the elbow to connect their hand to their shoulder.

> > The robots with treads for legs also have tread
> > patterns on their dicks.
>
> NOW I'm interested!

You and me both, tiger!

> > One robot has a fully sculpted face behind its
> > mouth guard.
>
> Is he smiling or frowning?

It's kind of a neutral mouth line. Not frowny enough if you ask me. Though, given the choice, I like the polygon faces best. The human mouths on rowbutts creeps the shit outta me.
The green and purple colors were decided by Americans, so I suspect the story about green construction vehicles being common in Japan is just a myth. See that interview with George Dunsay, former Hasbro, for more info.

[www.tfarchive.com]

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2012 10:35PM by Ginrai.
Diaclone Devastator was a mix of yellow, blue and red vehicles, wasn't it?
There's two color schemes for the Diaclone Devastator, actually.

The original release in yellow and red, with dark blue combiner parts:

The second release in brighter yellow and light blue, with red and silver combiner parts:

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
asterphage Wrote:
> Oversized limbs, eh?

I can't stop messing around with these rowbutts...

In a perfect world there would be some tweaks to the range of motion on the heads so they can look up more, Giant would have a right-ear-missle-cannon-laser-gun-thingy, and the individual doods would have some place to stow their weapons in rowbutt mode aside from just holding them. My only real complaints are that the feet on the Dump-Truck-Dood are miserably small and that the Crane-Dood has some uneven hooves; both are wobbly. But even then, the Dump-Truck-Dood is charmingly apeish in its proportions. And the Crane-dood is gloriously goofy with the stupid boom attached to its back or slung under its arm in a run-and-gun pose. Overall, these are rock-solid, fun toys that definitely harken back to their G1 roots.

Oh, and it's official. MakeToys polished up the Green Giant in several ways over the Yellow. Here's what I've found so far...

Green Giant Upgrades:
- Badass Vintage-esque Packaging
- Instructions vastly improved (though not entirely perfect)
- All material QC problems corrected out-of-the-box (Giant neck, Dumptruck shoulders/grill)
- Includes an additional, larger head with opening mouth and drop-down red visor
- Crane boom is detachable, rotates at its base
- Crane boom's hook rotates and can hold a cannon at the tip
- Crane combines with weapons to make a club
- Giant's Forearms have a slightly longer elbow post (extended them lower)
- Giant's Hip-skirt extends to greatly improve range of motion in hips
- Bulldozer has re-molded forearms that remove the gap at the bottom
- Crane's wheels appear slightly lower on the chassis (so it can roll better)
- Front-end Loader has remolded shoulder bar arrangement (so the shovel can fold back further without stressing the bar)
- Cement-mixer's waist extension works more smoothly

Clearly the Crane received the greatest improvements, but it looks like almost every rowbutt got some kind of update though I'm not entirely sure about Dump Truck and Excavator. There may be some other improvements I haven't noticed, too.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2012 09:16AM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - dev09.jpg (123.9 KB)
open | download - dev10.jpg (124.7 KB)
open | download - dev11.jpg (128.3 KB)
Gcrush Wrote:
>
> [toyboxdx.com]

Okay, that's cool as hell.

-Paul Segal

asterphage Wrote:
> Gcrush Wrote:
> >
> >
> [toyboxdx.com]
>
> Okay, that's cool as hell.

You can kind of see in the pictures that the handles on the jackhamer also work as the connection points for the "mega-arms"; they fold at the base and since they're 5mm plugs they can rotate in the individual rowbutts' hands for a swiveling motion. All the rowbutts can use the parts like this, though the effect is better with some than others. The cool thing is that the handles are totally superfluous to the Giant transformation process. MakeToys didn't need to design them like that, but they did anyway because it's more badass.

These toys are just great all around. The extra parts needed to make Giant can all be put to use in vehicle and individual rowbutt modes. They pose well, they're durable, they're detailed, and they're fun. The amount of craft that went into them is quite incredible. Given all that, I think the price is reasonable for a luxury transforming toy.

Also, in addition to the improvements in Green over Yellow listed above, I'm forced to admit that the accent colors on Green really make it pop. Yellow Gnat is very fucking yellow-and-black. It's almost too much when combined.
Marvin Lee Wrote:
> I wish they were just a little smaller than MP-10
> prime just to get a 24" devistator or basically
> make the vehicle modes on scale with the MP-10 but
> I know it's a pipe dream.

It would be too much. You could probably make a statue around that size, but anything mobile would crumble under its own weight without having all the joints totally redesigned.

Personally, I'm not so bothered by the scale thing in Transformers toys. As long as Prime and Megatron are similarly sized and bigger than the others, I don't care. Besides, the physics on that cartoon were so shady that they make the wizarding world of Harry Pooter seem downright mathematical.

You could always drop a legends-sized Prime next to Giant for kicks...
Something else I noticed while looking at Green Giant's instructions - apparently the handles on Bulldozer's hips in rowbutt mode are removable and intended to be beam-sabers. At least it looks like that in the instructions, though no beam-saber blades are included.

EDIT: I re-read the instructions. They tell you to use a beam-saber blade from the usual 1/144 model kits whose brand name rhymes with Gundam. But, uh, do people want that? Isn't that like putting ketchup in your peanutbutter?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2012 10:32PM by Gcrush.
Someone photoshopped away Giant's fangs:

And then someone modded theirs accordingly:

Not bad!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2012 10:30PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - 27314395d1345220888-maketoys-giant-scowl.jpg (18.3 KB)
open | download - 27314551d1345320578-maketoys-giant-p1010439.jpg (464.4 KB)
Oh man, these look nice. Anyone want to buy my laptop so I can get one? ;)

More serious than thou
Random phone pics.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2012 03:56AM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - GG01.jpg (175.2 KB)
open | download - GG02.jpg (153.3 KB)
open | download - GG04.jpg (184.6 KB)
open | download - GG03.jpg (180.9 KB)
I also noticed that a couple of these figures have those c-clamps for additional weapon attachments. Unfortunately, I have none around at the moment. I thought those were a neat gimmick. Anyway.

The gun-axe for Green Gnat sucks. It's a really weak afterthought. I wish someone would CAD up a baddass spear point to mount on the base of the crane boom. That would be AWESOME and EASY for some of our resident SEXPERTS...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2012 03:58AM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - GG05.jpg (179.5 KB)
open | download - GG06.jpg (163.3 KB)
open | download - GG07.jpg (138.9 KB)
open | download - GG08.jpg (185.8 KB)
I wish they were just a little smaller than MP-10 prime just to get a 24" devistator or basically make the vehicle modes on scale with the MP-10 but I know it's a pipe dream.

Funny they are now making a 24" (actually 23") Transforming Voltron with figures! One expensive piece at $85.00 per lion but damn that's sweet.

[www.bigbadtoystore.com]

I like the Make toys Devistator robots better but I like the other Devistator better, but that price difference..... wow. I'm just not liking the robot with what looks like a giant trane A/C unit on his head.
Marvin Lee
Funny they are now making a 24" (actually 23") Transforming Voltron with figures!

I'm just not liking the robot with what looks like a giant trane A/C unit on his head.

Don't be fooled. The Mattel Voltron is a fucking brick. Also, it sucks.

As for the A/C Unit Head, do you mean this one?

That's how the original looked, too. And, while I didn't photograph it, the A/C unit opens in the front to reveal a pair of rockets. It's cool!
Maybe it's just ugly in all the pictures I've seen. As far as Voltron I'm week. The same goes for the MP-05 Megatron. I just want to display it in gun mode on my wall.
Nice pics, G. My Green Team is still in my BBTS pile. Soon as iGear's Brawn comes in, I'll have them sent. But yeah, the incessant pining is why I've generally been avoiding discussion of this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2012 11:32PM by gingaio.
gingaio
Soon as iGear's Brawn comes in, I'll have them sent.

Not to veer off topic, but has there been any word on those? They have been "releasing in July" for a long time with no update. (unless I missed it)

Thank you
BBTS kept adjusting the release date per the info it was receiving. It's currently slated for September (which usually means end of September). Yeah, it's a crappy wait, though. I've had Giant in my PIle since it was first released...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer