VF5SS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the TFC one is brick with treads
> and a brick with arms

THANK FUCKING GOD!!!
calm down

have some dip
Sanjeev (Admin)
Don't. Dip's bad for you. And it's an upper.

Anyway, I tend to prefer the MT version because the bulldozer looks a lot better. But as far as the robot modes go...well...is a brick with arms so bad? Seems to me that a robot named "Bonecrusher" should NOT be lean. Svelte. Lithe even.

And is it me, or has peaugh's reviews gotten a LOT more inflated over the past couple years? I used to like them because they were concise as hell. Now, there's tons of repetition and hanging onto boring details. I think TFSource pays him by the minute now... :/
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Don't. Dip's bad for you. And it's an upper.
>
> Anyway, I tend to prefer the MT version because
> the bulldozer looks a lot better. But as far as
> the robot modes go...well...is a brick with arms
> so bad? Seems to me that a robot named
> "Bonecrusher" should NOT be lean. Svelte. Lithe
> even.
>
They capture the looks of the G1 versions much better than the TFC one. Yeah, the G1 versions were skinny...
Sanjeev (Admin)
This obviously comes down to opinion and preference, so it's not like I'm trying to *convince*anyone of anything, but I'm not sure I personally buy that argument.

If you're going for the G1 look, wouldn't you just buy the G1 toy? The only reason there's a market for these things is because enough people find some sort of deficiency(-ies) with the original. So, with the goal of improving upon the original in mind, why would a full overhaul of a character's design to put it more in line with fans' expectations NOT be the right thing to do?

Popeye arms 4 life
Sanjeev Wrote:
>
> If you're going for the G1 look, wouldn't you just
> buy the G1 toy? The only reason there's a market
> for these things is because enough people find
> some sort of deficiency(-ies) with the original.
> So, with the goal of improving upon the original
> in mind, why would a full overhaul of a
> character's design to put it more in line with
> fans' expectations NOT be the right thing to do?

Because the fans paradoxically cling to the look of the original. They want it to be just like the original, only better in every way. This desire means many of these fans will never be content - their desire for nostalgia and their desire for modernity cannot be satisfied by the same item.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Sanjeev (Admin)
It's a paradox that will tear the very fabric of space-time!

I hear ya though.

GEEEAAAAAAARR--oh, no--wait-

PPPPPIIIIIIIIPPPPEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!
tbh i just like being a pissy hissy fitter when some toy neglects the alternate mode's looks in favor of a less than stellar robot mode :d

and my man, Jeev, some may argue the iGear Geazs ain't Geewun toon accurate

then again Gears rarely transformed in the show even when he got an episode dedicated to him
asterphage Wrote:
<snip>
>
> Because the fans paradoxically cling to the look
> of the original. They want it to be just like the
> original, only better in every way. This desire
> means many of these fans will never be content -
> their desire for nostalgia and their desire for
> modernity cannot be satisfied by the same item.

I think that the only official TF lines that more or less got this right are Car Robots (Robots in Disguise less, because they shoehorned classical characters into the original characters that design-wise were pretty much neo-G1) and the Classics.

Looking at some 3rd party toys, it's amazing how much they remind me of TF:CR...
thomas Wrote:
>
> I think that the only official TF lines that more
> or less got this right are Car Robots

That's interesting. I felt like the three Car Brothers, and Fire Convoy and God Magnus, really forged their own aesthetic, which was fresh but (predictably) took a lot from Beast Wars Neo in terms of detailing and transformation layouts.

Build King was very nostalgic, though. Technologically impressive, with the carousel combination scheme, but the aesthetics of each robot were old-school.

-Paul Segal

Sanjeev (Admin)
VF5SS Wrote:
> and my man, Jeev, some may argue the iGear Geazs
> ain't Geewun toon accurate
>
> then again Gears rarely transformed in the show
> even when he got an episode dedicated to him

True indeed.

Honestly, I'd rather have all of these:

than a whole crate of iGear not-Gearses.

But that's just me. He was my first TF evar, so the brainless nostalgia forces me to buy anything related to him.

Anyway, I think Classics got it "right", as far as improving upon the originals *in a way the majority of fans expect* (the implication being that WE are not necessarily among that majority. And I see stuff like the not-Devastators and iGears non-mini not-minispies as being much more influenced by Classics (or CHUG...or whatever the kids are fucking calling them these days) than anything else--including Car Robots.
[www.tfw2005.com]

the full monty
Still with the face. Can't see it, so they must still be tweaking it.

More serious than thou
[www.tfw2005.com]

Poor Giant is kind of depressed and always looking down
Sanjeev (Admin)
That dump truck looks heavenly!
Ho ho ho! Pre-order!

[www.bigbadtoystore.com]

Now all the yellow ones should get marked down to dirt cheap on ebay so I can get a set.
Anyone know where we can buy the Yellar Maketoys Fauxstator from outside the US?
Here's a review of the completed MakeToys Yellar Gnat.

The guy's captions are hilarious.

Anyway, it's a killer looking toy. Hot damn!
Sanjeev (Admin)
The toy definitely looks tight, though I'd still rather see it in green/purple. Also, the lack of closeups of his face is a bit...worrying. And the big honkin' barrel on the gun looks silly to me. But overall, I think it looks a little better than the TFC one. Does anyone know which one is taller (in combined form)?
Gcrush Wrote:
> Here's a review of the completed MakeToys Yellar
> Gnat.
>
> The guy's captions are hilarious.
>
> Anyway, it's a killer looking toy. Hot damn!

Killer is an understatement -- that's a thing of beauty.

Thanks, Ken-A
Sanjeev Wrote:
Does anyone know which one is taller
> (in combined form)?

I am one entry shy of completing either, so I can't say with 100% certainty, but the TFC toys are about 25-30% bigger individually.

I put Hercules together without one leg and he was the size of a small baby.

Thank you
B00
I have a complete Hurc. He's huge. A little over 12", a real lady pleaser. Giant is said to be around 9".

> The toy definitely looks tight, though I'd still
> rather see it in green/purple. Also, the lack of
> closeups of his face is a bit...worrying. And the
> big honkin' barrel on the gun looks silly to me.
> But overall, I think it looks a little better than
> the TFC one. Does anyone know which one is taller
> (in combined form)?

I saw a comparison pic somewheres. Hurc is taller than Yellar Gnat, while Gnat is taller than a leader class Plum. No idea how big that is, but it's big enough.

Here's a pic of the head. It looks enough like a head to satisfy.

To me, Hurc always looked too blocky and not quite goofy enough. The combined form on Hurc, while angular, is too cohesive. It doesn't look enough like a mish-mash pile of construction vehicles. Yellar Gnat fixes that brilliantly and in the best possible way. It's... Sublime.

Speaking of yellar, I like these colors better than the green-n-purple. It's more Diacolonic. Mmm-hmm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2012 08:40PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - 154610rqeaaza51tasjccs.jpg (144.5 KB)
open | download - 120851qpwos6x3yxqx6pyo.jpg (124.7 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Dang...well, I have that Boptimus Fangledump...and he's about 10" right there...thus making MetricTonne Gary 11"! That's crazy talk.

The face is still kinda meh to me...but that (and the gun) can be resolved relatively easily with a little flexing with CAD.

But as for the colorz (y'know...Bloods, Crips, Constructicons), it's ALL about green-n-purple! That shit is gully, sun.
Why can't nobody get no Devy head right!?!?!?! It looks like Jazz! Who, unless I am so wrong I can't even tell anymore, WASN'T a pseudo-Constructicon-not-a-Constructicon-guy!
Supersentai Wrote:
> Why can't nobody get no Devy head right!?!?!?! It
> looks like Jazz! Who, unless I am so wrong I
> can't even tell anymore, WASN'T a
> pseudo-Constructicon-not-a-Constructicon-guy!

I'm not seeing it...

Sanjeev Wrote:
> The face is still kinda meh to me...but that (and
> the gun) can be resolved relatively easily with a
> little flexing with CAD.

The gun on the original was a little long-dong silver, too.

As for the head... I'd want to see some kind of crazy mash-up between Shades and No Shades. Oh, and the head is Mr. Crane's foot. Which is cool.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2012 03:03AM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - heads up.jpg (58.6 KB)
open | download - G1devastator_toy.jpg (36.9 KB)
open | download - gimme head.jpg (55.9 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
It ain't the length of his gat...it's the girth. Won't shit right for a week after that'un...

As for TEH FASE, I think it'd be a pretty simple matter for us to co-draw up a design we could all agree on before CADing it up. For people who actually give a shit, of course!
Sanjeev Wrote:
> It ain't the length of his gat...it's the girth.
> Won't shit right for a week after that'un...

I think it's that wide because it's got four barrels nested inside it. But, yeah. Fatty Mc Gun-gun.

By the way, here's a 24 minute video comparin Yellar Gnat to Green Blocules.
Gcrush Wrote:
> By the way, here's a 24 minute video comparin
> Yellar Gnat to Green Blocules.

I forgot to mention that said video is actually Part 3 of a three part video review, Part 1 being the vehicles and Part 2 being the rowbutts. But nobody really cares about that, right?

I also forgot to mention that the dood used, like, ZERO editing skills in making those videos. He is basically just rambling about whatever is in front of the camera. Altogether I probably watched two minutes of the video by skipping through his ramblings.

I also, also forgot to mention that he concludes Yellar Gnat is more playable (poseable and stable) than Blocules, though he finds Blocules to be better (taller on your shelf) than Yellar Gnat.

So... Yeah. Now you know.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Alas, I saw through all 24 grueling minutes. Mostly because I wanted to see each combined toys' "body language" as he fumbled with them while trying to move and pose them. It definitely seems like Hurk is a tad too heavy for his own good. Which, for lots of folks, is a good thing! Ol' Yeller's probably more my speed.
So, the Green Gnat has surfaced. I almost feel like it looks better than the Yellow Gnat. I definitely feel like it's a better bargain: it comes in a nice looking gift box, includes an alternate screaming vampire head, and Dr. Dick's Super Crane Stick is now removable/movable. Sucks when early-adopters get hosed for giving a company lots of monies for a half-glossed product.

Well, if anyone on the board doesn't like the alternate Screaming Vampire Head that comes with the green one - I WILL BUY THAT SHIT FROM YOU WITH A MODEST WAD OF HOT PAYPAL MONIES. Drop me a PM or an email. Werd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2012 02:19AM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - 576050_413432055369875_1090806937_n_1343049917.jpg (35.9 KB)
open | download - 400672_413431995369881_426131491_n_1343049917.jpg (33.9 KB)
open | download - 399444_413431832036564_557809985_n_1343049917.jpg (61.6 KB)
what's wrong with its faaaaaaaaaaaaaaace

-Paul Segal

Sanjeev (Admin)
So true...

Clearly, this is a cruel cosmic joke China is playing on all of us. But like I said before, if I get this toy (which is a big IF), I'd be happy to CAD up some new grillz...

Anyway, I'm more interested in the Mjolnir he's wielding!

(seriously, dude, clip your fucking fingernails)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2012 03:37PM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - faaaaaaaaaaaaace.jpg (81.3 KB)
open | download - hamma_time.jpg (412.4 KB)
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Anyway, I'm more interested in the Mjolnir he's
> wielding!

Yeah, that's a pretty big improvement of the Yellar Gnat. I'm not sure how hard it would be to pull that same trick. After the Yellar Gnat arrives I will investigate this issue...

> (seriously, dude, clip your fucking fingernails)

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that.
Make Toys Yellow Giant

Devastator was one of the few Transformers I remember as a kid. My main memory is of it being a goofy brick that looked like a bunch of construction vehicles stacked on top of each other. Yellar Gnat captures that aesthetic and charm perfectly while updating everything to include gobs of articulation. Let’s get technical.

The Good: All the individual robots, and the Giant as well, are fully poseable; they can kneel, crouch, jump kick, and run-and-gun with ease. All of the parts to form Giant are stow-able in vehicle mode, so there is no need to cart around a separate baggie of bits. The plastic is durable, vibrantly colored, and at least as good, if not better than, most Hasbro/Takara products. The paint is excellent and sharply applied. The highly detailed robots are all differently sized while keeping a unified color scheme; the effect is quite cohesive and pleasing to the eye. The individual robots and Giant are sized well, being neither too small nor too large, and generally easy to transform. The forearm pieces can be towed, or used as jetpacks, jackhammers, or oversized limbs on the individual robots. The robots with treads for legs also have tread patterns on their dicks. One robot has a fully sculpted face behind its mouth guard.

The Bad: The instructions are utterly worthless. Without reprinting them here, it’s impossible to explain how many details they gloss over and how absolutely jumbled their order is. They fucking suck. The dump truck’s feet are too small to make it stand well. The crane’s boom cannot be disconnected without unscrewing it, and then it cannot be stored well without modification. The arms and legs of Giant are well engineered, but the attachment between the chest and the abdomen could have been worked out better; the clips and fold-in-half hinges are awkward. The hinge on the barrel of the combined gun could have been made sturdier. The frontend loader has an engineering problem where the scoop sits a little too high on the back of the robot and blocks some arm movement. The front skirts on Giant and the wheels on the thighs block some of the leg movement.

The Ugly: The face on Giant is not as good as it could have been. The ankle extensions on Giant’s legs can be difficult to pull out. While Giant’s hands can hold the gun in the most secure death-grip ever, it would have been nice if they could make grabby poses using more articulation in the hands and wrists. The individual guns on the treaded robots are ugly and could have been engineered with the hand at the read of the gun instead of the front.

The Painful: Early adopters that bought Yellar Gnat got fucked. The later release of the Green Gnat has better options, QC, and packaging – for less money.

In Short: I can’t recommend the Yellow Giant unless someone is a diehard looking for a more realistically colored Masterpiece-styled Devastator. Having said that, I would easily recommend anyone wanting a Masterpiece-styled Devastator to pick up the Green Giant or risk painful regrets later because this is not a toy you want to pass up. I’m not really sure how any company could come out and do these figures better. You get a cool, large combined robot that splits into six cool, smaller robots – all of which are so cool that you might be tempted to get two sets so you can keep one combined and one in its separate parts.

IT’S NOT THAT YOU CAN’T AFFORD IT - IT’S THAT YOU CAN’T AFFORD NOT TO BUY TWO OF THEM.

Oh, and note that I didn’t properly transform several parts in the shitty camera phone pics below. So don’t go telling me about it, okay?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2012 03:50AM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - dev01.jpg (107.5 KB)
open | download - dev02.jpg (84.6 KB)
open | download - dev03.jpg (165.4 KB)
open | download - dev04.jpg (154.9 KB)
Attachments:
open | download - dev05.jpg (145.8 KB)
open | download - dev06.jpg (209.6 KB)
open | download - dev07.jpg (185.5 KB)
open | download - dev08.jpg (225.9 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer