MP Sideswipe

Posted by VF5SS 
[www.tfw2005.com]

He was such a memorable character.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well...just like one of the first commentors said, at least it's an MP of a normal car. Granted, that'll make it essentially a glorified BT...
Hey now, Hot Rod was a normal car circa 2005.

Also to be fair, isn't Optimus in either incarnation also a glorified Binaltech? A truck is still a vehicle and he isn't that different in terms of execution. He's just not a recognizably licensed truck. It would have been cool if they could actually get the rights to make a perfect Kenworth COE Optimus :3

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2012 11:57AM by VF5SS.
And just to add that even if you think Sideswipe is a little boring, he is still the quintessential Autobot car. Even more so than his contemporaries so there's a little more to him than meets the eye.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Good point on MP Prime being a glorified BT as well...I guess I was just pigeon-holing the BT line as *just* sports cars. But then I remembered they did a jeep, a pick-up, etc...

And, yeah...MP-10 was clearly a quality release, but the only way I was gonna fork over that kind of cash was if they'd just made him a *PERFECT* Kenworth COE. Oh, the missed opportunity. It woulda been glorious...

But anyway, I actually dig Sideswipe--memorable character or not. He was one of my first TFs and I have fond memories of him. Definitely the quintessential Autobot car (no disrespect to Hot Rod!).
Easily palette-swappable for G2 black Sideswipe and Red Alert.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> Easily palette-swappable for G2 black Sideswipe
> and Red Alert.

Wouldn't they be more likely to do Diaclone based recolors than G2 ones?

But speaking of Red Alert... and repaintable molds... I REALLY, really hope the next Masterpiece new mold after Sideswipe is a Nissan Z-car.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH

MP Z-car has to look like this

I had this on a folder I found at Building #19

best folder ever

>And, yeah...MP-10 was clearly a quality release, but the only way I was gonna fork over that kind of cash was if they'd just made him a *PERFECT* Kenworth COE. Oh, the missed opportunity. It woulda been glorious...

You really can't do that unless you want his legs to look just like the old toy.

I wonder what that rumored SHE Convoy would have looked like
Yeah, Sideswipe has got to be a choice due to repaint possibilities. Look how much of that they have done so far with the various MP figures. If they design it right they might even be able to do the Classics thing and have it reconfigurable as Sunstreaker as well. Surprising they didn't do the Prowl/Bluestreak/Smokescreen thing, but thatt might be next. Just an odd choice given the past figures though... to this point all have started out as a leader type character. I would have guessed at Shockwave before something like this.

More serious than thou
fujikuro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> they design it right they might even be able to do
> the Classics thing and have it reconfigurable as
> Sunstreaker as well.

but

G1 Sideswipe and Sunstreaker aren't the same at all

> I would have
> guessed at Shockwave before something like this.

All Japan ever got out of Shockwave was the cartoon where he's not that interesting to anyone who didn't read the comics :x
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, I just can't see a Shockwave...I can't imagine seeing much demand for him in Japan.

And what would be so wrong about an MP Prime with legs like the original toy??
VF5SS Wrote:
> fujikuro Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > they design it right they might even be able to
> do
> > the Classics thing and have it reconfigurable
> as
> > Sunstreaker as well.
>
>
> but
>
> G1 Sideswipe and Sunstreaker aren't the same at
> all
>

Correct, but they're brothers and a similar type of car. Therefore the Classics one makes sense.

They're not going to make something like this without a significant way to do repaint after repaint.

More serious than thou
are you srs

Because Sideswipe already has at least one other repaint from G1 and that's Red Alert (they're watching him)

not to mention all the Diaclone color variants they dragged out again as exclusive reissues like Tiger Track, Clamp Down, and Deep Cover

[tfwiki.net]

[tfwiki.net]

[tfwiki.net]

and not to mention the G2 version which some Japanese fan made a papercraft model and sent a photo of it to Marvel (which i totally can't find a picture of right now lawl)

so why would they take another toy that doesn't look like the first toy (in the high end collector's line) and do what they do in the line for the common peasants?

better pic lawl
fujikuro Wrote:
> Yeah, Sideswipe has got to be a choice due to
> repaint possibilities. Look how much of that they
> have done so far with the various MP figures. If
> they design it right they might even be able to do
> the Classics thing and have it reconfigurable as
> Sunstreaker as well.

Be careful what you wish for. Takara might hyper-engineer this to faithfully transform like both Sideswipe and Sunstreaker. There's a conspicuous and unnecessary line down the middle of the concept art for Sideswipe's vehicle mode and his transformation doesn't need for the hood to split in half.

--------------------------
I want YOU for Moé Sucks Army
Yeah that conspicuous line that's totally not there in the picture of the robot mode.

Must be some anime magic.
VF5SS Wrote:
> Yeah that conspicuous line that's totally not
> there in the picture of the robot mode.
>
> Must be some anime magic.

The car mode looks like a render and the robot mode looks like a drawing. Its unsurprising that details differ.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2012 04:32PM by Scopedog.
Maybe you need to be more paranoid over nothing

does anybody remember what Sunstreaker looked like

[counter-x.net]

i do

ps is all this fretting because of Rodimus? There is nothing his conversion between the two robot modes that contributes to his issues. That's all TakaraTomy not understanding how to do a hand tool gimmick and that not every joint needs ratchet :3
VF5SS Wrote:
> Maybe you need to be more paranoid over nothing

If I find something else you'll be the first to know.

Sanjeev (Admin)
At first, when I heard the idea of a Sunstreaker alt-alt mode, I thought "no way". Now...I'm not so sure. Damn your fear-mongering!
Scopedog Wrote:

>
> If I find something else you'll be the first to
> know.

where's that VF-2SS toy

where is it
Oh don't get me started.

Scopedog Wrote:
> Oh don't get me started.

Well then fucking don't.

I, for one, am pumped for an MP Sideswipe. I think most people consider the Prowl/Bluestreak/Smokescreen FairladyZ mold the quintessential Diaclone car-former, but I have always had a bigger softspot for the Countach figs. Barring a crippling problem like, say, the figure actually stabbing you and stealing your family when you open the package, I could see myself getting Sideswipe, Red Alert, Tigertrack, and G2 SS. I might even splurge for Deep Cover if they offer him.

Door arm armor >>> Door wings

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Prometheum5 Wrote:

> Door arm armor >>> Door wings

what if

they did an entire MP SPY CHANGER line

[tfwiki.net].

I want MP Eagle Killer

because he'd be released in Japan with that name again because that's way cooler than R.E.V.
Apparently this is weird day. Given the other things that have happened, it's not really surprising.

More serious than thou
[twitpic.com]

DUDE OPTIONAL SPIKED TIRES FOR THE G2 REPAINT WOOOOOOO
there's also a letter on this page from a concerned person who thinks Fort Max and Hot Spot sacrificing themselves back in issue 2 might encourage suicide in impressionable young readers.
These days there would be complaints about Hot Spot being a suicide bomber terrorist (come one, he explodes after driving into enemies!).
[www.tfw2005.com]

It's like a free coloring book
If he looks as good as the drawings do, I'd love to pic it up.
I like the idea on Sideswipe but I don't like the idea of him being a 80's Lambo. Prime is ok because let's face it Semi trucks basically look the same as they did 30 years ago.I like what they did with the classic figures and gave them a very recongizable robot mode but the car mode was modernized.(especially if they can stick with the same car brand.) I just don't like being one of those old farts that can't get past 1984-88. and I'm a di-hard G1 fan. Just like I have fond memories of the original toys... until I see them and they're all goofy looking by modern and g1 based TV standards. I wasn't a big fan of the modern classics special ops Jazz because the car mode looked a little too generic to me but that Robot mode is so "on target" that the car mode is forgiven.
80's Lambo is my favorite.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
What you're saying is like you'd rather have MP Starscream be an F-22 :v
Sanjeev (Admin)

Too late! :P

Anyway, I would prefer the 80's Countach. It's not like cars go "out of style". The Countach is a classic. Making Sideswipe a modern Lamborghini wouldn't work because the whole point of the line is to make larger, more detailed toys of the 80's designs. It wouldn't be bad if it were a modern Lambo. It just wouldn't be Sideswipe.

Along with what looks to be MP Soundwave (!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2012 05:10AM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - LHyod.jpg (174.4 KB)
You sure that's Soundwave? Kinda looks like Sunstreaker to me.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
The three popular guesses on the TF board right now are Soundwave, Sunstreaker, and Shockwave. I don't think it's Shockwave, and the arms on it don't look like Sunstreaker's arms at all. (There's a part of the forearm, near the back of the elbows, that extends up like a flap. Sunstreaker's arms never had that, but Soundwave's did.) Also, if you imagine that you're standing behind the figure instead of in front of it, it starts to look more and more like Soundwave.

Then again, it could be something else. I would be totally cool with TT tooling up a Showy Sunstreaker.

But I wonder if TT is deliberately releasing characters that 3rd partiers are going after (Starscream ver.2, Soundwave).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2012 05:10PM by gingaio.
It definitely looks like a back view. If that's the case, you can even see the rectangular protrusion behind the head where the top of Soundwave's battery compartment is.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Anyone know whether MP sideswipe will be around the same scale as Binaltechs?
thomas Wrote:
> Anyone know whether MP sideswipe will be around
> the same scale as Binaltechs?

By "OptimusTimelord" at TFW2005.
Attachments:
open | download - MP12size.jpg (345.3 KB)
B00
Can't wait for this guy. If they make sunstreaker I hope he's a completely new mold and not just a repaint.

Click here to login

footer