[BOT SHOTS] lord help me, I kinda want these...

Posted by Sanjeev 
Sanjeev (Admin)
[www.bigbadtoystore.com]

I don't even know what these fucking things are--there are different numbers and icons on their chests, so I'm guessing some kind of Pokemon-esque trading figure game?

But whatever. They're fucking cute. And I'm a sucker apparently.
Yeah, you ram them into each other and see who wins, I think. They seem to be one of many new lines that are conceptually knocking off Bakugan and Beyblades. There are also tiny Star Wars characters who tumble out of little transparent spheres.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
It's essentially rock-paper-scissors in robot form. You choose which you are going to "battle" with (Fist, Gun, Sword) and you run them into each other and your choice is revealed to your opponent when the robot transforms automatically.

They are cute, and little kids seem to like them (a lot if my kids are normal at all). The only complaint I have is that you have to try to remember which actually beats which. Ties are won by the numeric rating each figure has for gun, sword, or fist.

More serious than thou
I keep thinking I'll buy some of these, ostensibly for my kids, but I haven't given in yet. They're all over the place around here.

I like that Transformers and Battle Beasts are finally merged in perfect harmony. Except that Wood/Water/Fire made a lot more sense.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Anyway, thanks for the explanation, Matt! I just watched this review of them, and while the game definitely looks a bit mind-numbing (even by kiddie standards?), the toys, themselves look pretty sweet! Granted...this is coming from a dude who loved the Gravity Bots! :P
They're fun little hand candy. You should pick up one and see if you like it or not. I'm a fan of the designs, but wish they'd throw the faction symbols on them.

More serious than thou
Reprolabels has an app for that.
mcfitch (Admin)
Sanjeev,
Hope this helps: [www.bot-shots.com] and this [www.hasbro.com]

"They seem to be one of many new lines that are conceptually knocking off Bakugan and Beyblades."

How are they "knocking off" Beyblades which is their own product? Arent they Battle Beasts but now they involve Transformers?
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Sanjeev (Admin)
Haha...is this what you've been working on over there, Mason??
mcfitch (Admin)
I may have spent some time on that.
-Mason

Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
mcfitch Wrote:
>
> How are they "knocking off" Beyblades which is
> their own product? Arent they Battle Beasts but
> now they involve Transformers?

The conceptual element that's being recycled is that you have some objects that roll or spin across a table, collide and/or open up, and then you see who wins.
I guess you may have some specific terms for what you consider an acceptable colloquial use of "knocking off", but the latest stock reset in the toy department of mass retailers has introduced three new lines (unless I've missed some others) that use this same play pattern: Transformers Bot Shots, Star Wars Fighter Pods, and Monsuno. Whether this is development synergy across various toy design teams or just imitation of a successful product, there's clearly a trend being followed here. Just like back when every toy on the market seemed to come with a trading card game...

-Paul Segal

mcfitch (Admin)
Well when we're talking about toys and "knocking off" there's a standard already in place right?

Okay there are similar play patterns based on what is popular. In the 80s there were a ton of robot toys after the success of transformers but I wouldn't say they were "knocking off" Transformers.

-Mason

Sanjeev (Admin)
Aren't all the toys using this gimmick made by Hasbro anyway? So wouldn't it make sense to use the same gimmick across multiple toylines in order to promote awareness of the play pattern?

Oh...Bakugan is kinda like this...and they're Bandai, right?
No, Bakugan is produced by Spin Master, which is based in Canada. Or rather, at least the western distribution is. I don't know if they also manage manufacturing of the Japanese versions of the toys.

I'm not mistaken the franchise/IP is technically owned by SEGA, but I could have the manufacturer and IP owner confused. I should go check a package or two, I guess.

Tehe, I'm actually rather fond of them <3
= ^ w ^ =;;
Heh, my son is fond of the Zoobles, which are kind of "girly" versions of the Bakugan toys. However, we haven't pointed out to him at all that they are, and he's really having fun with them. Luckily my kids don't see advertising so no big deal.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh shit...right--Bakugan is Sega Toys, huh? Hehe...I shoulda known that 'cause I have a few! I got some to act as transforming moons for my Unicron toy! :P
Hooray! I'm not the only one that likes them after all, then <3

The truth is, I'm actually a pretty big fan of the toy line. They're such versatile, interesting objects. To my understanding the original game intended to be played with them is pretty inane, and as far as I know the associated animated series probably is too.

That said, I eventually just wrote up some better rules with my friends to use with the pieces. We're pretty proud of them.

Besides making good moons, some of the accessories and stuff have pegs that turn out to be compatible with some pretty odd things, like Amdriver, Busou Shinki, and some SD Gundam models.

Incidentally, so as not to totally hijack the thread - Does anybody have one of these yet? I'm a little curious how well the spring-loaded transformation works. Obviously, they're simple little toys, but if they work well enough I might want to pick up a couple as fiddle toys for my desk.
I've got a number of them. The spring gimmick works well, and they are fairly fun hand-candy. Anyone who liked the gravity bots will like these as well (looking at you, Sanjeev!).

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Heh...the thing I really dig about the few Bakugans I have is that they're pretty decent and unique-looking little robot dudes (the ones I have are all humanoid-shaped) that transform in *completely* different ways into a generic sphere shape. They make Dead End look like a piece of shit. On just about EVERY level.

Anyway, I like simple shit like Bot Shots because I need crap to fiddle with on my desk! "Hand-candy" is the perfect term!
Yeah, some Bakugan are really impressively engineered. The "Dharak" dragon never ceases to impress me, and there's one that turns into a bull that blows my mind as well. Many have fascinating, counterintuitive opening mechanisms, but the best ones open up in a surprisingly complex manner AND look like a perfect little character or creature design when they're done.

I will stop being disdainful of Bot Shots if Hasbro comes up with some that are as ingenious as the better class of Bakugans :3

-Paul Segal

Yeah, the thing that got me about Bakugan was the inspired engineering that lets all sorts of different shapes all turn into the same generally sphere-like form. As the line has gone on, the transformations have become increasingly complex and the resultant alt-modes more convincing, while still working well on the magnetic trigger. I'm pretty impressed.

Besides how cool it is to have a bunch of uniform objects that all open into different shapes, the difference of weight distribution in each mold means that they all roll slightly differently as well - some of them curve beautifully, while others roll like wheels or spin like tops if you give them a little push. It makes the whole action of trying to get one to land on the metal cards a lot more intricate.

I second the motion on Bot Shots with cooler engineering. I've looked at a couple of the video reviews online right now. The whole 'flip out legs' paradigm is workable, but I think before I really go for these I want to see some slightly more sophisticated transformations.

Well, or maybe I should grab a couple, since I guess if it doesn't sell well the line might bite it prematurely.
;P
Yeah, these are definitely not as complex as a Bakugan. I doubt they ever will be. The main point of these besides the auto-transformation thing is the Rock Paper Scissors game thing. That requires the space in the figure for that element. So, unless they can really engineer something more complex around that, or possibly make the toys a bit bigger to accommodate it all, I doubt we'll see much change.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, I don't see Bot Shots going much further than what we already see now. But I think that's okay. Bakugan wins on the pure design level...plastic origami at its best. But what I like about Bot Shots is that they're chibi cars that you can crash into shit on your desk, and they pop back, transforming into SD versions of your favorite TF characters. Tough to go wrong with that in my eyes!
Blast that Jeev and his baggy pants too! I stopped in the toy aisles, and picked up an Autobot BotShots 3 pack for $9. Sadly, little else in the TF section had any appeal to me anymore(until a Prime, or FOC Starscream shows up).

These fall right in with the PennyRacer MiniSpy old style. =0)
The rock/paper/scissor game idea, w/firepower points added on top to break a tie, may be used elsewhere, but BotShots are SOLELY triggered by the FRONT of the vehicle bump-n-release of the whole mechanism. Same trigger position, and same transformation of all the characters.
It does work smoothly. They usually rebound, and stand upright.

With those magnetic Bakugan spheres, the release trigger can be ANYWHERE in the toy, and so too can all the crazy different parts laid out inside.
MaidenLili Wrote:
> As the line has gone on, the
> transformations have become increasingly complex
> and the resultant alt-modes more convincing,

The most recent line, "Mechtanium Surge", seemed like a step backwards. But the couple of series before that were really excellent.

> while still working well on the magnetic trigger.

Yesss. Particularly impressive in the battle gear accessories, and in the larger Deka figures which make a thick, satisfying click when their magnetic switch flips.

> It makes the whole action of trying to get one to
> land on the metal cards a lot more intricate.

One day I've got to post my video review of Piercian. It's about two minutes of me dropping it directly onto the card over and over trying to get it to open up without launching itself off the card and landing on its back or upside down.

-Paul Segal

Yeeaaah, line four was kinda iffy. The awkward use of metal and funky projections on the surfaces made everyone roll weird, and I'm pretty sure the manufacturer hasn't mastered their use of diecast bits yet. A lot of them are kinda misshapen or not fitted straight to the rest of the parts. The Japanese line the ran at the same time (Bakutech) is... far superior, and has better metal to boot. Oh well.

I have to say, though, *my* Piercian works fine. He makes a little 'hop' when I drop him on the gate, then lands again on his feet every time. It's very endearing <3

Also, you guys convinced me. The next time I get some spare cash I think I'll pick up some of these Bot Shots dudes. It was that very similar, endearing little hop when they open that did it...
Sanjeev (Admin)
I *think* the fancy-schmancy Prime and Megatron--which cost a whopping $10 a pop!--feature trailers that actually launch the truck cabs! Sounds funner'n hell!

YEah, I'm looking forward to these two. I have the Megs from a three-pack set (in a more gray color scheme) and the OP (as "Nemesis Prime/Scourge") and both nice figures. The launcher/trailers should make for some great smashy action. Would be nice if they put out a few other launchers.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I *think* the fancy-schmancy Prime and
> Megatron--which cost a whopping $10 a
> pop!--feature trailers that actually launch the
> truck cabs! Sounds funner'n hell!

Yes! I love me some truck Megatron. What a waste that we never saw Op and Megs playing chicken in the last movie. Why else give them the same alt mode?

Best, Ken-A
MaidenLili Wrote:
> The Japanese line the ran at the same time (Bakutech)
> is... far superior, and has better metal to boot.

Huh, where can I get some of those (or at least look at some reviews)

Sanjeev Wrote:
> trailers that actually launch the truck cabs!

If the launching action and the trailers popping open into bases are part of the same action, that would be awesome.

Ken-A Wrote:
>
> Yes! I love me some truck Megatron.

I was disappointed that the movie line never recolored Megatron, with a new head, into a totally unnatural Prime variant. It would be kinda creepy.

-Paul Segal

That Megatron's gonna crumble in a few years due to gold plastic syndrome.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
First impression of the launchers: Meh. I picked up the Op and Megs at Target yesterday for $8 each, not a bad price. But the little dudes are so fiddly and the launchers so weak that my daughter (age 4 1/2) and I decided the game was not worth the aggravation. I do like the look of the bots with the trailers attached, so they'll probably get conscripted into larger battles.

Best, Ken-A
Agreed. The launchers look good, but they don't really launch very far, and neither does the spring-loaded mechanism latch very easily. You have to snap it in place multiple times until it finally latches properly. What kid is going to want to do that over and over?

More serious than thou
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer