Legostator

Posted by Ginrai 
Not sure if other people are digging Kre-O Transformers, basically just Transformers Legos, but I am having fun with them. I am really liking the look of the recently revealed Kre-O Devastator. Colors are supposed to be Bay movie style, but design is more like G1, and G1 with those colors... reminds me of Diaclone. I am digging it:

A bunch more pics here: [tformers.com]

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2012 10:31PM by Ginrai.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Whoa. Do want. Heh...when you showed me this the other day, I only really registered the dumb marketing pic at the very top...and I just assumed he was permanently hunched over like that (like in the Bayformer movie)--despite the G1-style head. But now seeing that he can stand straight up? Shit...I'll very likely end up getting this!

Loves me some Lego...and Devastator. And drill arms. And funny how this looks (at least, to me) more like a "traditional" TF than the new Bruticus...
why does this have a better Devastator head than the ten previous 3rd party attempts
Sanjeev (Admin)
VF5SS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> why does this have a better Devastator head than
> the ten previous 3rd party attempts

I wasn't gonna say nuthin...

*Ahem*

Anyway, even though I dig these mixed realistic colors, I kinda hope they do a traditional green reissue. And hell--a yellow one would be nice too (I'm seeing pics of the yellow MakeToys Devastator everywhere, and it's fucking gorgeous).

Oh, and for some reason, I'd love to see a not-Lego Sixshot. I think that'd make for some fun rebuilding for different modes! [We should call them "not-Lego" because even though they're legit Hasbro toys, they're still bootleg Lego's, right? :P ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2012 12:25AM by Sanjeev.
What's the big plasticy-jumbo looking robot to the left?

As for Devy, love the "G1-1985" on the stickers to boot!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Heh...just noticed the sticker too. Anyway, I hope that wrecking ball in the left hand actually shoots!!
B00
I love that it comes with a blue out-house.

That big jumbo thing is a oversized advertising display of the Kreon Optimus Prime. Kreons are like Lego minifigures with way more articulation.

-Ginrai
I really like the Kre-O line in general, so this is a win for me.

As always, though, I wish they'd just ditch the "normal human" Kreon figures and give us more Transformers. How about the individual Constructicons? Way more interesting than "Joe the General Contractor who gets stepped on."
Sanjeev (Admin)
Haha...no way! I don't get the little TF minifigs: I mean, you're building a huge proper Transformer...why would I want a wee super-deformed-ish one buzzing about? I'd rather have more humans to terrorize! Who else is gonna be taking a dump inside the porta-potty when that massive Devastator smashes off the roof with his wrecking ball!?

Oh, I can foresee a lot of repurposed Lego guys to fuck with!
I'm glad that they come with both regular humans and the cute mini Transformer Kreons. I want the human to be terrorized as Sanjeev says, but I want the Transformer Kreons to pilot their own vehicle modes! Having Starscream the minifigure pilot Starscream the jet is FUN.

-Ginrai
I just want the minifig Transformers. I don't care about the construction sets until they can transform without removing parts.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Sanjeev (Admin)
Y'know, I kinda thought the same thing too, at first. Having to disassemble them to transform them seems to defeat the purpose of a *transforming robot toy*.

But I started to think about it more and I realized that if that were the case, I'd probably only build the thing once, and never really touch upon the *building toy* aspect ever again. The fact that you HAVE TO disassemble and rebuild in order to transform forces you to interface with that *building toy*-ness again and again. I think I kinda dig that...

Ginrai Wrote:
> ...but I want
> the Transformer Kreons to pilot their own vehicle
> modes!

That's like a weird recurring existential nightmare I have...

:P
With the way most kids play with legos, they would probably come apart during transformation anyways.
If I wanted to "interface with that *building toy*-ness again and again", I'd just buy Legos. So I do.

-Paul Segal

Sanjeev (Admin)
Aww...so the two great tastes can't taste great together???
To mix Legos with other brands of building brick - this is haraam.

-Paul Segal

Oh come, you know when you were a kid you mixed and match without regard for manufacturer.

-Ginrai
When I was a kid, the off-brand Lego bricks sucked. Bad fit, not entirely compatible with Lego (higher lugs), shitty material like rubbery plastic that deformed really easily. Collapse-prone.

Real Lego + knock-off bricks = blasphemy.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well...uh...my point wasn't the LITERAL mixing of Lego and not-Lego blocks. I meant mixing the overall toy genres of "transforming robot" and "building blocks"....as in Kre-o.
Um...oops?

Although I've never understood why some people buy Lego models, build them, and then leave them sit on their shelves for years in that shape. The fun is that you can build other things with them, too!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Sure! That's pretty much why I'm finally starting to come around to the whole Kre-O thing. Instead of just transforming and posing the toy, you actually disassemble and reassemble it as part of the normal play pattern.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Sure! That's pretty much why I'm finally starting
> to come around to the whole Kre-O thing. Instead
> of just transforming and posing the toy, you
> actually disassemble and reassemble it as part of
> the normal play pattern.

See, I think that's more of an AFOL kind of thing there. At least for me, when I was a kid I did like building the sets, but that was a pretty solitary thing to do. If I actually wanted to "play" then it was best to have the thing already built. Having to stop and spend 45 minutes rebuilding the toy doesn't sound much like fun to me.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Perhaps. But is it 45 minutes of rebuilding? Or just 1 or 2? I'm guessing the latter for the single-robot kits (like Prime, for example). For something like Devastator, who's a much more complex combiner, it may be a lot longer. But who knows...?

Anyone (Ginrai, Heli88?) who actually has any Kre-O kits wanna comment?
Actually, I've got 2-3 of them. They're relatively complex - on the same level as many Lego sets. I'm a pretty fast builder myself, but none of the sets I've messed with would only take 1-2 minutes. Even 10 minutes would be pretty quick for the small one I have (Jazz).

More serious than thou
thomas Wrote:
> When I was a kid, the off-brand Lego bricks
> sucked. Bad fit, not entirely compatible with Lego
> (higher lugs), shitty material like rubbery
> plastic that deformed really easily.
> Collapse-prone.

the space-themed Tyco blocks that I had as a kid were pretty good. Solid, and with their own interesting hinge system.

Other than that, I've only ever bought off-brand Legos if they had a particularly cool set design.

This Chinese company makes some really cool sets, including miniature transforming robots and a space fighter that looks like a Vic Viper:
[www.loongon.com]
I don't think most of the items I've seen locally are on their site, though.

fujikuro Wrote:
>
> See, I think that's more of an AFOL kind of thing
> there. At least for me, when I was a kid I did
> like building the sets, but that was a pretty
> solitary thing to do. If I actually wanted to
> "play" then it was best to have the thing already
> built. Having to stop and spend 45 minutes
> rebuilding the toy doesn't sound much like fun to
> me.

When I played with Legos as a kid, I would generally build to the story in progress. I definitely remember trying to emulate the features of action figure playsets that I or friends had. One particularly strong Lego memory is seeing Terminator 2 on TV (I must have been 9 or 10) and trying to build a catwalk with a moving part that would let me knock a minifigure off.

I also used to build what would now be considered "microscale" vehicles, using a 1x1 round piece as the pilot.

-Paul Segal

fujikuro Wrote:
> Actually, I've got 2-3 of them. They're
> relatively complex - on the same level as many
> Lego sets. I'm a pretty fast builder myself, but
> none of the sets I've messed with would only take
> 1-2 minutes. Even 10 minutes would be pretty
> quick for the small one I have (Jazz).

Those of you with kids will appreciate the utter genius of this...not only do you drop a box in front of your kid that keeps them "occupied" for an hour at the get-go, but every time they change it back and forth it eats up more and more time. These things are veritable parental life preservers!!! Sweeet!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Heh...sounds glorious...and I don't even *have* kids!

So Matt, it sounds like these things need to be COMPLETELY rebuilt basically from the ground up to transform them? Are little kids actually expected to remember how to do that...or are they expected to keep the damn instructions handy at all times???
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Heh...sounds glorious...and I don't even *have*
> kids!
>
> So Matt, it sounds like these things need to be
> COMPLETELY rebuilt basically from the ground up to
> transform them? Are little kids actually expected
> to remember how to do that...or are they expected
> to keep the damn instructions handy at all
> times???

Yes, pretty much they are. You can't just parts form it in chunks. Without the instructions you're pretty much foobar.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Huh. Kinda crappy...

Well...do the kids dig 'em???
I am totally 100% on board the "Action Masters" thing with the Kreon version driving the vehicle version of itself.

Also, the heads are usually mounted on 2x2 squares, so you can just yank off the heads and put the Kreon version on its giant robot body like a pilot.

And yeah; these guys are not quick builds. Especially if you wanted to, say, transform one of the bigger guys like Optimus or Megatron, you're looking at quite a time committment, not just for the building, but for the teardown. The way these guys are designed, they have an unexpectedly high parts count, where there are routinely things like several layers of "planks," rather than one block, because the plank style pieces can be incorporated into the robot modes more easily.

The little Kreon guys are totally the draw for me, but the kits are (as noted above) pretty much on par with Lego, including the quality and fit of the blocks, so they're still enjoyable to build.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Mmm...good to know. May have to rethink this. Honestly, if Legostator were in geewun colors (but the same exact design), I probably wouldn't hesitate. The diacloney-ness of the colors is aiight, but I think I prefer the unified look from the TF cartoon.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Mmm...good to know. May have to rethink this.
> Honestly, if Legostator were in geewun colors (but
> the same exact design), I probably wouldn't
> hesitate. The diacloney-ness of the colors is
> aiight, but I think I prefer the unified look from
> the TF cartoon.

It's weird that the built up Devy is in multicolor when the Kreon minifig IS in G1 colors.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
I think they're going for the Bay-Former design and color scheme, but thankfully keeping the G1 head, as well as adding a pure G1 mini-figure. That's strange to see how these toys are influenced by the modern bots that I don't care much for, but implant enough G1 in them to make them palatable (for instance, adding a G1 cartoon Bumblebee head to the Camaro-ish version).

I feel bad for these bots though, once the instructions are lost, or kids get too bored to care about transforming them correctly, there will be a litany of Autobot-Spikes evolving from toy boxes across the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2012 04:08PM by Supersentai.
So yes, it takes quite some time to build and disassemble the big kits. Both Sentinel Prime and Starscream took me like an hour to build. There's no way you are going to change these to their other modes by heart. You will need the manual.

Now, there was an older Transformers Lego ripoff called Built To Rule which did have the robots transforming into vehicles without disassembly, but they were fucking terrible. It's almost impossible to have it be both good looking and transformable without being pretty huge. But I also think that you are right that these are designed to occupy children for hours, even if kids are not creative enough to come up with their own wacky combations.

For me, I have mostly been building them and having them hang around my room, but I enjoy model building even though I am pretty frankly terrible at regular model building and this way I get to actually build something cool. I don't really have the free time to dick around and combine this stuff into weird new shit these days, though, I'm afraid. I envy kids that way!

Regarding Lego building being solitary? No way! When I was a kid my friends and I or my sisters and I would sit around together with a pile of bricks and come up with new shit or build what the instructions showed us. You don't have to be working on the same Lego model to be working on it with friends.

I've no doubt Legostator will also take more than an hour to build, but that's cool with me. I think it will be fun!

-Ginrai

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2012 03:01PM by Ginrai.
Ginrai Wrote:
>
> Now, there was an older Transformers Lego ripoff
> called Built To Rule which did have the robots
> transforming into vehicles without disassembly,
> but they were fucking terrible.

Naw, they still required a fair amount of disassembly, as I recall. They were more modular, though, and relied on a "skeleton" of robot joints that unfolded, but they still had significant parts removal.

-Paul Segal

Oh, maybe you're right. I thought that was meant to be the selling point. They were so horrible looking I didn't buy any of them.

-Ginrai
I was slightly tempted to get one of the GI Joe Built to Rule sets (I mean, they came with Joe figures with Lego studs on 'em; what's not to love?), but the Transformers versions were really awful.

Even though Kre-O can be a little awkward looking, they're leaps and bounds better than Built to Rule. (Plus BTR didn't include cute lil' minifigures.)
I know for a lot of people the Kreon minifigures are the selling point. They are adorable.

-Ginrai
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer