Optimus Maximus

Posted by Ginrai 
Yeah they've had small casts since Beast Wars... I assume it's because of the cost of the CGI models or something, since Animated had a pretty large cast. I was really disappointed in the very early part of the show when they used Vehicons as cannon fodder and the bad guys really only had three other characters. Well that and I hate non-talking Bumblebees.
Sanjeev (Admin)
HDig.I've never liked the CG shows...mostly because they look very...dark...compared to hand drawn shit. I know that sounds weird, but it just somehow bugs me aesthetically! But then you add Prime turning into a fucking monkey in those beast shows...and the small, annoying casts...I just could never deal.

I tried TF Prime for a bit, but I found the spindly designs atrocious...and not a single character was remotely likeable to me. And now that I think of it, maybe it's not the small casts that bother me--maybe it's just that the characters' personalities sucked. The characters in the G1 show were flat pastiches, but at least they didn't annoy the crap outta me. Except maybe Seaspray. And Warpath. And... :P

I guess I just dig the doofus army-like nature of the original show over the doofus family-like nature of these new shows.
I really like Ratchet and Arcee on Prime. Ratchet is fucking Re-Animator! But anyway, Energon, the one with horrible CG robots and badly done hand-animated people awkwardly composited had a cast of thousands and is terrible. You can't exactly say every CG animated robot show has a small cast.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Haha...y'know, I *was* gonna say something about having Jeffrey Combs play Rachet too!

Anyway, good point about Energon...I guess I was just thinking about the Beast shows and now Prime. For some reason, like I said, those smaller casts make the Autobots feel more like a dysfunctional family, as opposed to a makeshift army. Either way, the converse (or is that inverse?) that the shows with larger casts are better isn't necessarily true at all.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer