Optimus Maximus

Posted by Ginrai 
So among all the new Transformers crap from Toy Fair, I see something that kind of looks cool to me. They have these Cyberverse Transformers, which are little and cool. And now there is a robot base for them, called Optimus Maximus, that actually reminds me of the old Diaclone Fortress Robot X:

[www.collectiondx.com]

[www.collectiondx.com]

The design work still seems a little busy, thanks to the Bay movie influences, but I still think it's pretty cool. I might just get this guy and have a few little Transformers crawling around him.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, it's funny--this one stood out from the rest to me, too. It actually reminded me more of Metroplex than FRX...but either way, it works on a certain level for me. It sorta seems like it doesn't do a whole lot--just sorta squats down and opens up to be a playset for the Cyberverse dudes--but I guess there's supposed to be lights, sounds, and shooty gimmicks in both modes.
I'm hoping there's a little more to the battle station mode, but it would not take much to convince me on a new Metroplex-style figure.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
I think it's the feet that make me think FRX. Anyway, I always love this kinda robot/playset deal. When was the last time they did this? Unicron and Primus?

-Ginrai
Reminds me most of Cybertron Metroplex,

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, the whole base/playset thing is pretty sweet. And I feel "city-formers" are more interesting than something like Primus or Unicron because there are more neat interactions to be had between the mini dudes running around the thing and the thing itself.
I think it's rather lackluster. I mean, it sits down and some panels open. It reminds me of the Beast Wars Playsets with minifigures. A real city-former should have ramps, and turrets, and stuff.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I'm kinda starting to notice that as well. I have a feeling the lights and sounds gimmicks won't actually make up for the seeming lack of any other play value...
mcfitch (Admin)
I think I found something new for the desk at work.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Sanjeev (Admin)
OH???

How is it?

Don't keep us in suspense! :P
mcfitch (Admin)
Well I will as soon as I get one.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh--you made it sound like you scored one already! Carry on then...and let us know when you get it.
Hey, here's a review of Optimus Maximus with nice pictures: [tilallaremine.wordpress.com]

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
Kinda neat, but honestly, I'm more interested in the Ark toy (that the same reviewer also covered). That feels like a more traditional playset toy...
I love the Ark playset. They're pretty easy to find on clearance, even now.

Best, Ken-A
The Ark set is fun, but the sounds do start getting annoying, uh, like the first time you press any of the buttons. It would be great if Hasbro could at least give you the option of turning off the sounds or dampening them in some way. It might help if they didn't last for 5 or more seconds. Otherwise, a nice fun set that works well with all the Cyberverse figures.

More serious than thou
Saw an Optimus Maximus in a store today for $50. I still kinda love it, but too much dollars, man.
Dude, he's like thirty bucks at Wal-Mart...it's a hollow construct...they'd be ashamed to charge more.

Or...[www.amazon.com]

Delivered!
Heck, add a used Ark for 12 bucks more...with no additional shipping!!!

[www.amazon.com]

Am I on a roll or what?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2012 11:25PM by Supersentai.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well...

I'd call that a "roll" if it weren't Wal*Mart or Amazon.com...two corporations who're unrepentantly fucking this country faster than pretty much any others... :/
Maximus is $33 at Target. I wasn't too into this design but it's very impressive in person. The way the "pilot" sits under the helmet with legs splayed seems goofy, though.

-Paul Segal

Sanjeev (Admin)
Target I can get behind!

I'll have to check it out in person (at the store). The online pics have been interesting, but not necessarily selling me on the design...I need to see all the gimmicks it has...
Uh...yeah...aside from Walmart and Amazon both being TOTALLY evil and all, I was, er, just surfing the web randomly and stumbled onto those. *I* wouldn't buy from them, but for those less corruptable that's right around $47.00 for both Op Max AND The Ark (reportedly in collectible condition) delivered to you in the comfort of your own home.
Well, the Cyberverse figures for Prime have actually been pretty decent, so when I saw this on "clearance" at Target this week, I bit for 23 bucks. Still haven't opened it, but considering getting another one for Toys for Tots. Anyone actually play with one? Would young kids like it?

I really like the head sculpt, but not the swiss cheese body.
That Bumblebee battle suit is out too. I guess it's been out a while, but I saw it for the first time this week. It looks neat! I like how it takes the basic silhouette of the Prime Bumblebee design and squashes it into something slightly closer in proportions to something like a Mega Man X Rider Armor (but bigger in proportion to its rider, obviously)

-Paul Segal

Sanjeev (Admin)
I actually saw Op Max for the first time in person a couple weeks ago, but I didn't get to handle it. If I had the cash at the time, I might have considered just grabbing it...but then again, they had the Nerf Pyragon in stock too, so I probably woulda gone with that! :P

Yeah, the head looks great, and the gimmicks look tight...I'm sure it would make a great donation for Toys for Tots.
asterphage
That Bumblebee battle suit is out too. I guess it's been out a while, but I saw it for the first time this week. It looks neat! I like how it takes the basic silhouette of the Prime Bumblebee design and squashes it into something slightly closer in proportions to something like a Mega Man X Rider Armor (but bigger in proportion to its rider, obviously)

I saw that too, but I thought maybe it had been out for a while and I just never noticed it. It's got a light up gun with wires going to the main suit too. And unlike Maximus, it actually comes with a figure.
Damn, will you pick me up an Optimus Maximus at $23? I can't find one less than $50 here.

-Ginrai

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2012 07:06PM by Ginrai.
Where are you, ginrai (US or elsewhere?). He's still ~30 bucks on amazon and locally at TRU.

I thought he'd be wiped out by the weekend Target crowd but I guess even they didn't want him. I'm guessing these get clearanced out everywhere post holidays...
Yeah, I see these guys everywhere. People seem not to be impressed.

More serious than thou
I'm in San Francisco. Every toy store in 50 miles is scalped to fucking death.

-Ginrai
There are loads of em here. I'd be more than happy to pick one up for you and ship it to you for the cost of the item plus the shipping.

More serious than thou
That would be rad! PM me details, please?

-Ginrai
Have you checked Amazon?

Less than 18 bucks now...
Just saw some at Marshall's last night for $24.99.

Thank you
Okay, I got my Optimus Maximus from Amazon! Glad I did not pay $50 for it. The plastic is surprisingly light and kind of uh, porous feeling? Hard to describe. This is definitely not Metroplex. Also I am a moron for not picking up a bunch of Cyberverse figures to hang out in Optimus Maximus ahead of time. I realize now that I have it it's more like the GoBots Power Suits Combiner than Metroplex (of course it doesn't separate). I need little dudes to full up his limbs. Also I was bemused to discover you're meant to put Cyberverse Commander Optimus Prime in Optimus Maximus' chest to be like the pilot or whatever. That is some recursive roboting, almost like Gordion or Russian nesting dolls.

Also you can plug his huge gun into his chest and when you press the buttons the lights shine through clear plastic in the gun. Neat. He's like a Laser Rod... battle station...thing. This is a really weird toy, you guys. I only have one Cyberverse figure, Starscream, so Starscream is piloting Optimus Maximus. He doens't fit exactly, so the huge Optimus head can't cover Starscream's tiny pea-head. TOO BAD.

-Ginrai
I'm still contemplating keeping one (I am giving one away as a gift). I do have a few of the Cyberverse figures, but I'm not sure this won't just stay in a box after I play with it for an hour or two... worth the 18 bucks?
I finally sat and watched a couple of episodes of TF Prime last weekend. What a cool modern update of the G1 show! Better than expected. I had my bowl of cereal and everything, like old days.
Scanning thru Several eps quick, I find not a peep of this Optimus Maximus dealie in the show. Bummer. No city/humongous bot. So this toy is just a power suit play gimmick, or did it ever make a show appearance?

Didn't see it mentioned either way here, and as usual, I'm fine with being Capt. Obtuse. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2012 10:26PM by repairtechjon.
Many of the toys are not represented in the show at all. There are all of about 6 characters on either side of the struggle who are actually in there. The rest are filler toys to get you to buy something (UM, for instance).

More serious than thou
I'm really enjoying the show, too, to my huge surprise. I say Maximus is worth $18 if you have little Cyberverse guys to hang out in him. And I sure haven't seen Maximus on the show, but I'm not shocked. Pretty small cast.

-Ginrai
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer