New Bruticus

Posted by VF5SS 
[www.tfw2005.com]

omg 3rd party caused this totally

not like a sequel game that featured Bruticus as a big event

generic future vehicles convert to big robot

AND BACK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2012 05:39PM by VF5SS.
Brawl looks cool.

Swindle is SO BORING. When did all Cybertronian vehicles become the freaking same?? Seriously, look at the Cybertronian Optimus, Bumblebee and Soundwave toys, and this. There's hardly anything differentiating them stylistically. Sure, Soundwave has a front hatch, and Optimus has a grille. That's not really enough to make me interested in yet another jeep-tank, and Swindle is the least distinctive jeep-tank yet.

EDIT:
Oh hey there's a pic of Onslaught now and HE DOESN'T HAVE A TRAILER?!??! DEAD TO ME. DEAD.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2012 05:48PM by asterphage.
Onslaught is a generic future four-wheeled semi

nobody likes four-wheeled semis

they're the runts of the litter
[www.tfw2005.com]

Man, this thing looks pretty awful.
Yeah, the original Energon Bruticus seems like a nicer toy.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Heh...it looked better when it was just pics of Onslaught as his torso!
Who has a major case of the "ganglies" going on there? Yikes!

Wonder how long it'll be before a third party creates a "fix" for this guy's problems? Maybe a third party will actually issue the add-on fix-kit before they release the actual toy. Hah!
Swindle makes a better leg than a jeep.

Vortex as an arm looks like NOTHING. He looks like the result of an explosion in the Large Hadron Collider. He looks like the left arm of Interlink 6.

-Paul Segal

what if the 3rd parties joined Party of Five

imagine
"He looks like the left arm of Interlink 6." Paulinizer2000

Yeah, howcum no 3rd party company released a fix for the Spawn Interlink set?

I had some hopes for this Bruticus, despite the pixelated video game teaser. As in, I hope some doofy marketing rep/photog mis-transformed Bruticus for these 1st released pics...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2012 10:26PM by repairtechjon.
repairtechjon Wrote:
>
> Yeah, howcum no 3rd party company released a fix
> for the Spawn Interlink set?

hahaha YES WHY NOT

I want real hands and a comic accurate head

-Paul Segal

asterphage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Brawl looks cool.
>
> Swindle is SO BORING. When did all Cybertronian
> vehicles become the freaking same?? Seriously,
> look at the Cybertronian Optimus, Bumblebee and
> Soundwave toys, and this. There's hardly anything
> differentiating them stylistically. Sure,
> Soundwave has a front hatch, and Optimus has a
> grille. That's not really enough to make me
> interested in yet another jeep-tank, and Swindle
> is the least distinctive jeep-tank yet.

To each his own, of course, but the relative similarity of the Cybertronian car modes doesn't bother me. After all, Earth car modes don't really look all that much different within the same class of car. And I'm digging the new Bruticus, call me crazy. But you're sure right about Vortex.

Best, Ken-A
Ew.

They didn't even fix the upper legs. They look as stupid (well, more...) as on the G1 toy. The upper body looks like it was crossed with G1 Galvatron. The arms are huge mutated piles of parts ressembling a mechanical version of Akira's Tetsuo's horribly mutated arm. Brawl's leg mode lacks a clear foot. Swindle's leg mode is the only decent mode he has.
Is there any reason Hasbro can't go outside of the company for design work? I can't imagine how insane the products they could produce would be if they turned one of these third party designers loose in their facility with thier equipment.

I'm awful on my "who made what" history with G1, but weren't the Scramble City bots designed in Japan, while Predaking was done by Hasbro itself? If this is true, that had to be the best thing they ever came up with as far as their in-house design team is concerned.
MSW
Sorry, but Predaking was designed by Akitaka Mika. Same guy who is also famous for his MS Girls illustrations.
Notoriously (and supposedly), the first Hasbro-designed Transformers are the G2 Powermasters, tail-end Europe-exclusives that are some of the worst transforming toys ever produced.

Although one could say they are not worse than the Sparkabots or Firecons transformation-wise. Unfortunately, they have very bad proportions besides their simplistic transformation.
Weren't most of the Beast Wars toys American designs?

--------------------------
I want YOU for MoƩ Sucks Army
[www.seibertron.com]

they just don't care about presentation
thomas Wrote:
>
> Although one could say they are not worse than the
> Sparkabots or Firecons transformation-wise.

The Firecons had such awesome alt modes. They should make Classics figures of those weird little bastards.

-Paul Segal

VF5SS Wrote:
> [www.seibertron.com]
> ir-2012-coverage-fall-of-cybertron-figures/23975/
>
> they just don't care about presentation

Yea, it always makes me wonder how unenthusiastic some of these folks who work for the big toy companies are in marketing their products. I can understand half-backwards transformed toys in retail catalogues, but for the manufacturer to put out pics of a slouching, teetering mess of robot?

Of course, this is a JOB for someone, and I guess running around and setting up displays all the time at trade shows must become tedious. For those who would look at such a job as a dream, after a while, the passion likely does ebb leaving just the work component.

I remember attending Botcon in Chicago some years back, and the corporate gal who had done the presentation was walking by. I stopped to ask about some products that hadn't been showcased in the presentation, and she came across as distant and bothered. If you don't want to take nerd questions from toy nerds about robot toys, then go work for JC Penney and devote yourself to the Jacqueline Smith collection and let someone enthusiastic about toys have your job...yikes-a-roonie!
Of course you might just have been the 50th person asking those things...
I think the problem is that expertise with regard to the toys themselves is irrelevant to the experience of those who these trade shows are really for. Hasbro could send one of their designers or brand managers who's intimately familiar with the new Transformers toys down to Toy Fair, and that guy could give the display a once-over and make everything is just right, and chat up people about the new line from a creative POV, but that's not what the event is really for.

Hasbro is interested in retailers who are going to stock the line, and licensees who are going to produce ancillary products. Those people are interested in talking to someone from the number-crunching business side of Hasbro - or at least someone who's on the marketing side of the brand, not the creative side.

So Hasbro probably has someone from the creative side box up the display pieces in the modes they're meant to be displayed in, and if they get a little jumbled up in transit from Pawtucket then the Toy Fair booth staff just do the best they can.

-Paul Segal

Yes, unfortunately that's the best explaination as to to "who" they send to the trade shows. It isn't about fan service, but getting retailers to pump up their orders.

Case in point, buddy of mine has worked as an engineer for years, can assist any other team when asked, and demonstrates an invaluable level of competence which has bolstered his reputation in the industry. Then a woman who holds a parallel job, is not very competent in her own work, and delegates much of what she should be performing, ends up pushing to be a marketing rep for the firm. Even though it's recognized around the office that she isn't all that talented of an engineer, sending a sociable woman to shows has ended up working toward increased revenues than any of the men they ever sent.

Would you want her answering design questions from people who know what they're talking about, likely not, but is she able to deliver a sales pitch without having to demonstrate a superior level of abilty, looks like she is.
Engineers, traditionally, are lacking in charisma, because charisma is a liability when applying persuasion to the emotionless machines they deal with.

-Paul Segal

The guys in my classes were pretty charismatic after some 151.

Or vodka mixed with the ice pops from Walmart
My old Dungeons and Dragons character, Zooter the Great, rolled with a 17 Charisma (life imitating art I suppose...ack!) and I violently BALKED when the DM suggested he accept the character class of "midieval engineer"...then went on to rock on as a lawful good Paladin.

On a side note, best Thanksgiving ever was spent with the family at Midieval Times, enjoyed the no utensil fest with a horrendous amount of MEAD!!! Suh-weeet!

BTW, was there a thread around here about the new Bruticus? Or have I killed another thread for no apparent reason?
Sanjeev (Admin)
asterphage Wrote:
> Engineers, traditionally, are lacking in charisma,
> because charisma is a liability when applying
> persuasion to the emotionless machines they deal
> with.

Huh. I'll have to consider this one further...

All I know is that I turn into Zooted the Great whenever I puff lah-lah...and the ladies sure dig it!
Yeah Sanjeev, you know now why we avoid you and Dan, at teh Summits, whispering "Engineers! Such jerks!, and No charisma! AT ALL." when you guys are busy munching nachos, blabbing about firing mechanisms, and hydraulics. blah.blah.blah. Maybe the ladies dig firing mechanisms?...

Aaaaaanyhow, ;0p got to looking at these snazzy Bruticus pics again, and who goofed up making the skinny Onslaught toro when combined? Main body needs moar biggers! chunkies! ARE YOU LISTENING HASBRO?! Bruticus torso needs more beef!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh, the ladies looovvvve firing mechanisms...

And stop trying to derail this derailments: I think we've established that the new Bruticus belongs on the Fugly Challenge thread (though there's more footage of it and other Hasbro stuff from Toyfair on CDX)! :P
VF5SS Wrote:
>
> Or vodka mixed with the ice pops from Walmart

you mean the ones that are just colored sugar syrup in a crimped plastic tube, like Fla-Vor-Ice? grosss

Sanjeev Wrote:
> asterphage Wrote:
> > Engineers, traditionally, are lacking in
> > charisma, because charisma is a liability when
> > applying persuasion to the emotionless machines
> > they deal with.
>
> Huh. I'll have to consider this one further...

"emotionless machines" is a metaphor for the marketing people :3

-Paul Segal

Sanjeev (Admin)
asterphage Wrote:
> "emotionless machines" is a metaphor for the
> marketing people :3

And we have a winner!
I was actually hoping someone would make that joke after my initial setup, but I guess I didn't telegraph it enough. I should just use someone as an accomplice, my plant in the audience.

-Paul Segal

Sanjeev (Admin)
Ah...I actually find that Andrew makes an excellent ringer. Alas, I'm much too slow. I just get by on my looks...
everyone needs a Lovely Assistant ~~<3

-Paul Segal

Interview with Bruticus designer: [kotaku.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer