Transformers Prime... wait, the FE ones are different?

Posted by fujishig 
I haven't been following this too closely, but I know Hasbro released these First Edition Transformers Prime figures, only at TRU. I had thought that this was just a timed exclusive, but now I hear that the mass-release ones are auto-transforming, largely inferior products and that not all the FE figures came out anyway (I only saw Bumblebee, Arcee, and Starscream, and only once).

There's no way that Hasbro would spend money on molds just to put out stuff that never even saw the light of day here in the US, would they?
I've been sorta following the discussion on 4chan, and it sounds a mess... seems like there might have been concerns over the complexity of the FE molds for a 'main line', as opposed to just being Prime characters included in the Generations line, which is a little more collector-oriented. Sounds kinda flimsy, but there is definitely a story we're not seeing.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
I haven't seen ANY of these toys in stores. At all. Which ones are even supposed to be out at this point?

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
B00
The first edition figures made circulation in hongkong and parts of canada, but very few Toys R Us in the states picked them up (they were TRU exclusives in the US). The main line for TF Prime "Transfromers Prime: Robots in desgues" is due to start next month. The figures in this line are NOT the same as the first edition. First edition Voyager Prime is much better looking than the "powerizers" (new name for voyagers) Prime. Same goes for just about all the DX figures too. The main line versions of BB and clifjumper dont look nearly as good as the first edition figures.

-Paul Segal

B00
I havent seen any pictures of the new RID DX (or revealer as ther'er now called). But Arcee seems to be one of the more avalaible figure on the after market right now.

More serious than thou
B00
The new DX Arcee. Its not a terrible looking figure but I do like the first edition better.

The upcoming version of him looks fine, but I dig the design and I'd really like to compare them myself.

-Paul Segal

B00
I just got a FE Cliff Jumper a few days ago. Its a simple yet very well done TF. I dont care for the super kibble RID Jumper.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
So I gave in and picked up wheel jack today. To my surprise it's a pretty good figure, reasonably complex and no "gimmicks." the voyager prime and Meg's looked like crap though. I had been planning to skip much of this line because of the FE thing and the reasoning behind simplifying the line, so I'm surprised. Was wheeljack just an FE like mold that slipped through?
I did pick up the OP and Megs, and any similarities to the Animated line are purely in the aesthetics. These toys are crap comparatively. I might pick up Wheeljack if it's more like one of the FE toys, possibly the Ratchet, but I will likely skip the rest.

More serious than thou
What about SOUNDWAVE??

-Paul Segal

I've not seen any of the deluxe size figure in a store yet, so I guess I'll have to reserve judgement until I really lay eyes on them.

More serious than thou
The Japanese release ones will use stickers to keep costs down.

I think I'm skipping the Prime line like I did with Animated.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
FE Starscream worth getting? That's the only one I'm interested in.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Vincent Z. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> FE Starscream worth getting? That's the only one
> I'm interested in.

Yup. Complex, rail thin yet still stable somehow. Great likeness to the animation. Deluxe sized as a bot but barely larger than a scout as a vehicle. Kinda neat there.

More serious than thou
OK, I've picked up most of the deluxe sized ones. I didn't get Arcee as the FE one is pretty good and the new one doesn't look quite as nice. The new Bumblebee is definitely better than the FE, though. It can actually hold its arms up, for example. Ratchet's... OK. Soundwave is disappointing. It definitely feels like a movie toy - really these all do in a way. I mean that in the movie toys had a whole lot of shellformer to them and so felt hollow. These have that same hollow kind of quality a lot. Cliffjumper is the worst of the bunch in that regard. So far the only one really worth holding on to is Wheeljack. Definitely a fun toy, nice transformation with a few unique twists here and there, nice alt mode. The Prime might have been a decent toy overall if it weren't for that super lame transforming gun gimmick. The Megatron is just horrible.

More serious than thou
I picked up Soundwave for a friend. He's kinda neat, but I just really don't like the look of the Prime designs. His arms work pretty well, but his legs suck. Laserbeak is fairly nifty in that he can combine with Soundwave's chest to be more random panels, or he can split out and be a little bird guy sitting on Soundwave's hand.

Soundwave has a nice compact unmanned drone vehicle mode that inexplicably has an opening mouth.
So now that a bunch of the FEs are once again available in the states as TRU exclusives... I still really have no idea why they got a bunch of guys to engineer inferior versions of designs they already made. I mean, I know they had this "make redundant figures" thing in their system due to the movie toys and Fall of Cybertron (hey, let's make a smaller, crappier videogame Prime and a bigger, crappier videogame Soundwave) and whatnot, but it's kind of ridiculous.

Wait, did someone say the non-FE Bumblebee was better? I never picked that up despite it warming pegs all over the place. Also, they only have FE Zombie Cliffjumper, was there a non Zombie one?

Lastly, picked up Voyager Ultra Magnus and Voyager Thundertron (it was available briefly for retail on amazon.com... now both are like 44 bucks from various scalpers on there).

Prime Ultra Magnus actually fixes some of the problems with the dumb Powerizer weapons: it actually looks like a gun in gun mode, and there's a peg to hold it in hammer mode. But it feels really light and brittle, the shoulder ball joints are way too loose for it to hold its weapon, and there was some miscommunication with the guy designing the truck mode and the guy designing the weapon... the gun has too pegs, and the truck has two slots, but they in no way match up. Plus if you're going to give him a rocket to emulate G1 UM, you should at least give him two.

I wasn't expecting much of Thundertron... I was actually under the mistaken impression that he was going to just be a remold of some previous beast toy (I was thinking Cybertron leokaiser, the one who turned into a big claw for Optimus). His dumb Powerizer weapon can't peg into blade mode, but otherwise is probably one of the best conceptually. He's also pretty cool, looking, though paired with UM this is probably the bluest Voyager pair ever.

Did everyone else already give up on this line, as it morphs into Beast Machines?
I really prefer the not-first-edition version of Arcee to the first edition (I have both, though my first edition one is in pink). It's smaller, true, but it's more poseable and the shoulder flappy things are in the right place and get out of the way so you can move her fucking arms, unlike the first edition one. Plus first edition has a blank Syd Barret "I done too much drugs" expression. The not-first has a much better face. The not first edition thing also comes with a cool gun that makes her bike mode look kind of like the bike bots from Bubblegum Crisis and in robot mode you can use it like a Megatron fusion cannon on her arm. Rad. The only real advantage to the first edition, if you ask me, is that you get two arm sword thingies, not one, though you can mount the sword thingies from the first edition on the not-first in both robot and bike mode, if you are so inclined.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Personally still liking most everything that comes out of the Prime line. I'd have loved to have come across UM or Thudertron, but haven't had the luck yet. A deluxe that I've really liked is the Rumble/Frenzy (whichever he is). Neat little transformation, but somehow I've managed to lose him. Maybe he's at work somewhere. I'm curious about the Beast Hunters thing for season three. Not sure at all how they're going to do it. There seems to be no way to have a smooth transition into such a jarring change for the line. We'll just have to see how it goes.

More serious than thou
Thundertron's bio states that he belongs to a third faction who is coming to Cybertron looking for revenge, so he's neither autobot nor decepticon. I have no idea how that translates into the rest of the cast becoming beastformers, but I guess we'll see. I've never seen Rumble, nor Kup.
OK, I managed to find my Prime Rumble, right AFTER I purchased a new one to replace it. So, it's up for offer if anyone wants one. Just let me know. Retail price plus shipping.

More serious than thou
I finally found Rumble and Kup at Target, right after the sale on deluxes was over. No Airachnid, but I've heard that one is terrible anyway. Also, they had a ton of Vehicons, maybe 10 or so. Not sure if someone bought a bunch of guys on sale and then returned old stock for full price or if they're actually packing multiple vehicons to a case, but here in scalper central I suspect the former.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer