Celebrating Devastator

Posted by VF5SS 
[collectiondx.com]

what a fucking awful toy
MSW
Isn't the original Daiclone toy the first time we have had robots that change into alt modes AND combine into a larger robot? I don't think even in anime that had been done before.
MSW
Never mind. The Daiclone "train robo/Raiden" was released more than a year before the Daiclone version of Devastator was released.
>what a fucking awful toy

Having the G2 version too, I actually have to agree with you there. Of course any TF fan loves the character but the toy when combined barely stayed together. The individual guys are nice little figures (I loved putting the drill into Dev's arm or putting said drill arm on Boncrusher's arm).

Some G1 toys have aged well and are still awesome toys today (Soundwave, Perceptor, the Dinobots) but other weren't so lucky.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Devastator is pretty bad, but Raiden is MUCH worse. Almost impossible to keep that piece of shit together in its combined mode.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
...so the Diaclone Raiden Jr., despite its partsformer-ness, is actually better at keeping together than the big one?
If the Junior doesn't fall apart, then yes.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Ginrai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If the Junior doesn't fall apart, then yes.

It only tends to lose its head.

And various bits of train don't store anywhere.
[hyperd.blog66.fc2.com]

encore! encore!
Oh, to see a brand new LongHaul again, the 1st one I saved for as a kid. Never got the whole set.

The lack of proper squeakyfoam tray in all these moderns, still leaves a little hole in my heart unfilled. ;0)
Sanjeev (Admin)
repairtechjon Wrote:
> The lack of proper squeakyfoam tray in all these
> moderns, still leaves a little hole in my heart
> unfilled.

So true.
G2 version of Devastator Ad. Notice that the limbs stay on as it's being swung back and forth. It'd fall off on the real thing.

[www.youtube.com]

My Devastator always held together pretty well in the arms; it was his legs that I popped off most often, and that was still fairly rare. Of course, I was super anal about my toys, too, so I probably never had him smashing open rubber hoses or whatever, As Seen on TV.
Gotta love the rapping in this one...

[www.youtube.com]
When Devy was a good bot.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.seibertron.com]

do you guys know how to make Devastator's face at all

why is the more detailed head frowning?

why does the cartoon head look like vector graphics Strong Bad?

and why does Mixmaster need a new drum?

do we have to replace the drum because this set somehow breaks it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2011 03:09PM by VF5SS.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I don't know what the difference between "cartoon" and "animation" is. But the silver-forehead version doesn't look THAT terrible. You're right though: no one seems to be able to make a good Devastator head.

And yeah, I'm totally not getting the new Mixmaster drum.

But at the very least, I guess this set can potentially make the stock G1 toy a lot more playable. Do the extra bits (especially the pelvis/thighs) actually do anything when not in the combined form? It'd be neat if they changed into some sort of accessories for the vehicles...
Sanjeev Wrote:
> But the silver-forehead version doesn't look THAT terrible.

What, that one looks outrageously terrible. It's so... FLAT. I actually like the other head. And the arms and legs look really neat. And the price is right!

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Sanjeev Wrote:

>
> And yeah, I'm totally not getting the new
> Mixmaster drum.

actually, looking at my old G1 Mixmaster the drum is a bit more yellow than the rest of him. Must be a weird plastic quality thing.
>

> But at the very least, I guess this set can
> potentially make the stock G1 toy a lot more
> playable. Do the extra bits (especially the
> pelvis/thighs) actually do anything when not in
> the combined form? It'd be neat if they changed
> into some sort of accessories for the vehicles...

Naw they just sit around. Not that the attack modes for the G1 parts were that great. Yeah it's nice you can have those bits on the robots in vehicle mode (but not their pistols?) but I'm never cried over getting rid of that feature.

Just make Devastator's head more like this

or how they did it in the movie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2011 05:16PM by VF5SS.
Attachments:
open | download - devaheador.jpg (45.7 KB)
ugh so handsome devvy
i want to caress his cheek

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh, I think the silver-forehead version is pretty close. Sure some details are off...like the missing goatee and his eyes need to be angled more along the outer bottom edges:

But once you fix those, the other details like the forehead geometry, the kinda-blunted nose, and the shape of the neck don't matter too much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2011 07:28PM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - 1324664354_7220752fgw1docy1jy9wlj.jpg (79.4 KB)
why do we have to fix what these 3rd party people can't even get right

like you guys don't have deadlines like real companies

do you?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Good question. I have no answer for ya...

But like I said in the Valk thread, we're actually at a point where we can take matters into our own hands. I'm tempted to get this upgrade set...then just model up a better head (and offer it to anyone who wanted it, of course). We're ALL "3rd party people" now...IF we have access to CAD anyway...

Oh, and not that you need a reminder, but it's not just "3rd party people": afterall, we were just talking about big poppa Bandai using shitty materials on those break-prone parts.

By the way, looking more at that set (and watching scenes from the horrifically inconsistent cartoon), I think there should be more purple on the crotch...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer