-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh yeah, forgot about this.
>
> [toyboxdx.com]
>
> [toyboxdx.com]
>
> The swap pegs work well.

Ah, that came out nice. Great work, man! I may have to pick up your three bug guns.

More serious than thou
B00
I made a big cannon, now I'm making BIGGER cannon!! This large cannon will be spring loaded, and shoot a big ass missile.

the internal goings on.

70% complete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2011 04:41PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - Cannon_Splod.jpg (420.9 KB)
open | download - MK_II_1.jpg (177.7 KB)
open | download - MK_II_2.jpg (183.8 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
That's what I'm fucking talking about, man! MISSILE-FIRE!
B00
Almost done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2011 01:33PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - Cannon_final_detail.jpg (432.8 KB)
open | download - Cannon_final_detail_2.jpg (413.7 KB)
open | download - Cannon_final_detail_3.jpg (406.4 KB)
B00
I haven't posted here in sometime. I finished the launcher deal.

I also made a plasma cutter from dead space in Transformers size.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2012 12:28AM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - cannon_small.jpg (296.3 KB)
open | download - cannon_2_small.jpg (298.5 KB)
open | download - newPC.jpg (376.6 KB)
open | download - new_Layout.jpg (223.6 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Is that a sprue? Haha...why do you need a sprue when these are just gonna be 3D printed??? :P

So what are you using to launch stuff? Are you gonna use a spring from a pen or something like that?

I love seeing shit like this, man!
Wow, that Omega Blaster is a thing of beauty. Do you plan to allow others to print it?

Thanks, Ken-A
B00
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Is that a sprue? Haha...why do you need a sprue
> when these are just gonna be 3D printed???

Those parts are really small, I don't want them getting lost.

Ken-A Wrote:
> Wow, that Omega Blaster is a thing of beauty. Do
> you plan to allow others to print it?
>
> Thanks, Ken-A

I'll make it available to the public, but its very costly.

You can do it with less of a sprue, tho, and save on material cost. Right now you're probably paying for more sprue than parts on that set of small bits. I've seen other people make a little central stalk or sprue that all their small parts are formed off of. You've got yours setup like an injection part, where the material needs to flow all the way around the mold to fill in correctly. Unless you were secretly designing these parts as masters for resin casting, in which case, you are a genius ;)

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
B00
The price only went up 1 dollar when I added the sprue, so its not that big of a deal really.

> masters for resin casting, in which case, you are
> a genius ;)

That's what I thought when I saw it!

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
B00
Next up in my video game weapons for TF's, the Ripper from Dead Space.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2012 10:13PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - ripper_2.jpg (361.9 KB)
open | download - ripper_8.jpg (398.6 KB)
open | download - Ripper_9.jpg (378.9 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
That's...a weapon??

Looks like some crazy circumciser! :P
B00
It's a gun that changes into a sword.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2012 07:40PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - render_1_2.jpg (260.6 KB)
open | download - render_3_2.jpg (248.4 KB)
open | download - render_5.jpg (340 KB)
open | download - render_7_2.jpg (274.2 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Good lord!

Aiight, print that shit...I wanna see it do right!

[Incidentally, is Shapeways pissing you off as much as it is me these days???]
B00
Sanjeev Wrote:
[Incidentally, is Shapeways pissing you off as much as it is me these days???]

God Yes. I'm looking into these guys ZoomRP.com. They are hella expensive, but they have a 2-4 day turnaround, and kick ass quality.

H O L Y S H I T .

-Paul Segal

Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, Josh mentioned ZoomRP to me the other day. I'ma have to check 'em out. I just hope they have a reasonably hi-res alternative to 3D Systems' stuff...and a hyper-durable alternative to polyamide. Those are the two media I tend to favor overwhelmingly these days...

And, yeah: H O L Y S H I T

;)
B00
Zoom's Poly jet HD is some seriously awesome shit. Polyjet. 1600 layer thickness DPI!

I'll have to check out their pricing on my MUSCLE-style dudes...
B00
Always upload an order on a Sunday, its cheaper. Their pricing is strange.

> Always upload an order on a Sunday, its cheaper.
> Their pricing is strange.

Wait, is this true?? I uploaded my first test items last week, but had to pull down and re-upload them a couple if times to correct wall thickness errors that the initial check missed.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
B00
I was talking about zoomRP, not shapeways. Shapeways prices are based on the object volume. Zoom's prices vary from day to day.

I haven't really had a chance to research the other materials--I'm on vacation and away from a proper computer. Is there an equivalent material to polyamide? Something cheap, light, super-strong...but not necessarily the best resolution? Again, that seems to be the stuff I'm printing in most often from Shapeways these days...
B00
The poly jet white is lower res, and a hair cheaper. They also have an ABS material.

Which is to say, I want one. Bravo.

= ^ w ^ =
MaidenLili Wrote:
> That sword-gun is beautiful. It's what I always
> rather wished the whole 'Mech-Tech' thing had been
> like.

Hey, SOME of those were cool! Recently I finally picked up the Dark of the Moon deluxe Ratchet, and his saw is really ingenious - press the plunger, and an arm flips out through a 180 degree arc, with a circular saw blade at the end - it stays extended as long as you hold the plunger, and it comes out spinning because its hub is geared to mesh with the edge of the socket that it came out of. Exactly the type of simple but impressive mechanical gimmick that the Transformers design team knows best.

Anyway, yeah, I would love to buy B00's sword-gun too. It actually reminds me more of Final Fantasy weaponry - like Lightning's sword-gun from FF13, or that stupid gestalt sword from Advent Children.

-Paul Segal

Sanjeev (Admin)
Since it's just a CAD model, it can be scaled up to human-size, too! ;)
B00
I'm still fighting with shapeways over some part of the model they keep rejecting over. I can't get a honest answer. First they say it's got multiple shells, I inspect it, it's one shell and water tight. Then they say it's under .7mm. I know this is false the part was deliberately made 1mm tick, the part was even measured at .99mm in the picture they sent back. I think they still have a beef with me when I called them out on poor quality on my last order.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2012 02:54PM by B00.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Christ.

Yeah, not surprised. :/
Oog. That's terrible. Good luck. I'll be on board if it passes, I think. I've been meaning to start sending things there m'self, so this thread is a pretty useful 'experience' case study for me.

asterphage Wrote:
It actually reminds me more of Final Fantasy
weaponry - like Lightning's sword-gun from FF13.

I just finished that game. I thought precisely the same thing. I'm mildly embarrassed to say that I like her and her gunblade thingus very much.
MaidenLili Wrote:
>
> I just finished that game. I thought precisely the
> same thing. I'm mildly embarrassed to say that I
> like her and her gunblade thingus very much.

I really, really didn't like FF13, all things considered. It was a lot of fun to play, parts of it had lovely visual design, and Lightning, Fang and Sazh were pretty endearing... but it was just SO, so badly written.

The Play Arts Lightning figure is pretty good. If you pick it up, here's a tip: The folded gunblade's handle hinges out, the trigger and trigger guard also move a bit, and there are a couple little fins that fold out. These seem to be undocumented features, and these parts are often stuck in place. I had to pry the handle and trigger assembly apart with an x-acto on mine in order to get them to work.

-Paul Segal

I'm ambivalent about it. I like Lightning and Fang a great deal, and experience guilty love of Vanille despite trying very hard to hate her.

Also, the sci-fi bent and some of the visuals are excellent, and the battle system is rather entertaining, at least once they finally finish giving it to you. On the other hand... there's some really terrible pacing and content going on, and, indeed, the plot presentation and writing is pretty bad.

Sad, but probably good enough to at least get me to try XIII-2.

As for the toy, I've been considering it, but only if I can get the transforming Odin that goes with it. But that's way outta price range for me right now, so it'll have to wait.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Shit.

Okay, I've been doing some quoting on ZoomRP. It ain't pretty. The polyamide alternatives are basically out of the question: a part in polished polyamide from Shapeways (Foe Gokin Gin Gin's left fist/shield) is about $7. From ZRP, the same damn thing is either $61 in SLA or $77 in ABS. I'm sure the SLA and ABS options yield much better surface finishes, but polished polyamide is "good enough" in terms of finish, and plenty strong enough to take a few pitches against a wall. That pricing just ain't happening. At least for *production* parts.

If you're looking for pattern masters to cast yourself, you should be going with PolyJet Blue HD anyway. So let's see: another part (MUSCLE "Baby" Gin Gin) in 3D Systems' hi-res shit from Shapeways is $20. The same part is $46 in Poly HD from ZRP. So, yeah. Ouch.

So I think for simple production stuff that doesn't require stoopid hi-resolution...but DOES need to be tough as nails (because it IS *production*), your best bet, far and away, is still polyamide from Shapeways. But since you're only gonna be needing ONE pattern master for casting, it may just be worth it to throw down for Zoom's PolyJet Blue HD. I'll order a Baby Gin Gin soon (this Sunday, I guess?) just so I can compare apples to apples. I'm not gonna bother with ZRP's SLA or ABS for Gin Gin's fist because the price differential is just too insane.

I'll report back here as things progress...
B00
Also the shipping can effect price, if you select next week, prices can drop by about $20 (sometimes).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2012 04:42PM by B00.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yup...I'm never in a rush, so those prices I posted were for "next week". I'm hoping they drop a little come Sunday...
B00
there should be just about a 20% drop in the price from monday to sunday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2012 03:34PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - Magnum_12.jpg (402.1 KB)
open | download - Magnum_2_2.jpg (421.8 KB)
open | download - U_Magnum_print.jpg (314.5 KB)
This looks MUCH rougher than the Warpath gun. Is that a function of the size of the piece and the fineness of the detail you're demanding, or did the Warpath gun really print smoother?

And when are we gonna be able to buy some of these? :D

-Paul Segal

Sanjeev (Admin)
That looks like raw (not polished) polyamide. Heh...looks like Kup made that gun outta snow to intimidate Decepticons in the arctic! :P

I go with the polished option wherever I can.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer