Shape my Ways

Posted by B00 
B00
So rather than continuing to bombard the Custom non-hasbro thread, I made a new thread for Transformer shapeways stuff.

My current project is a collapsing/telescoping gun for Genreations Warpath. The gun can be held normally, or if you rotate his fist you can attach the gun in place of his hand. There's also a little clip so it can attach to tank mode.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2011 06:33PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - 27265209d1320815886-shapeways-tf-weapons-war_gun_1.jpg (249.1 KB)
open | download - 27265210d1320815886-shapeways-tf-weapons-war_gun_2.jpg (224.9 KB)
open | download - 27265211d1320815886-shapeways-tf-weapons-war_gun_3.jpg (249 KB)
open | download - 27265212d1320815886-shapeways-tf-weapons-war_gun_4.jpg (192.1 KB)
B00
Need a few more image attachments.

the 3mm weapon clip

The "transformation".

I've just started the model, so there's no detail right now. It's only a simple block model but it should start coming together soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2011 06:37PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - 27265213d1320815886-shapeways-tf-weapons-war_gun_5.jpg (145.4 KB)
open | download - 27265214d1320816891-shapeways-tf-weapons-war_gun_6.jpg (181.7 KB)
open | download - 27265215d1320816891-shapeways-tf-weapons-war_gun_7.jpg (173.7 KB)
Neat... this is a part I'd actually use. I dig the multiple mounting options.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
I like that you consider the options for mounting in both modes. That's always one of my pet peeves when a transforming toy's accessories aren't mountable or storable in both modes.

More serious than thou
B00
Getting the larger details modeled, I'll wait till I've made the parts divisions to add the finer details.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2011 04:40AM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - War_Path_Gun_details.jpg (238 KB)
B00
Almost finished. I got the part division and all the pegs/holes measured. I'm gonna start working on the print layout next.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2011 03:28AM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - PathSplitter_1.jpg (187.7 KB)
open | download - PathSplitter_2.jpg (142 KB)
open | download - PathSplitter_3.jpg (240.1 KB)
open | download - PathSplitter_4.jpg (184.8 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gorgeous! I love how bold you're getting with assemblies like these. Whereas I try to keep everything as simple as possible, you push the boundaries of what can be done with this stuff. Keep it up!
B00
I hope it prints. There should be no thin wall this time.

Thanks man, I really hope this thing works as expected.

if only...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2011 06:03PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - PathSplitter_Lucky_draw2.jpg (340 KB)
B00 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lucky draw ^_^
>
> [toyboxdx.com]
>
> if only...

Haha! Yes indeed if only...

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Man, I wish MY software could do such pretty renderings! Hahah...I only ever post such crummy screenshots! :P
B00
Well I placed an order for the "Path Splitter" and it's now in production, no last second Shapeways veto. So that was the first hurdle, the second is see if the gun will assemble and work correctly. I'm hesitant to make the model public untill I get my sample and see if it's quality or not. I'd hate to sell a lemon.

Got a few more prototypes today.

The pea shooter didn't print so well.

It's a small side-arm weapon meant to compliment the DX Blaster. I don't know if the bad print is due to the size or the material. It's very disappointing.

The cannon printed well, nice and smooth. The four peg holes is working out well.

It even pegs onto Voyager DOTM Ironhide's arm. I need to order another one for the other arm now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2011 07:14PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - frag_peg.jpg (468.2 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Hmmm...I wonder if the problem with the smaller items is that your designs are almost too organic. The thing about polyamide is that it obviously has somewhat soft edges and a VERY matte finish. Those two properties tend to exaggerate organic designs--at least visually.

There *are* some rough-looking spots on the pea-shooter though. I have no idea how to account for those...

Glad to hear that the peg system's working out! I've been curious about how friction-fit polyamide parts would work. Sounds like they're holding up well. I just hope they won't abrade and become loose.

Anyway, just one quick thing to add: in the past few days, I've done some destructive testing on polyamide. Lemme tell ya...your fucking Transformer toy will break BEFORE the polyamide accessories will!
B00
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Hmmm...I wonder if the problem with the smaller
> items is that your designs are almost too organic.
> The thing about polyamide is that it obviously has
> somewhat soft edges and a VERY matte finish. Those
> two properties tend to exaggerate organic
> designs--at least visually.
>
> There *are* some rough-looking spots on the
> pea-shooter though. I have no idea how to account
> for those...
>
> Glad to hear that the peg system's working out!
> I've been curious about how friction-fit polyamide
> parts would work. Sounds like they're holding up
> well. I just hope they won't abrade and become
> loose.
>
> Anyway, just one quick thing to add: in the past
> few days, I've done some destructive testing on
> polyamide. Lemme tell ya...your fucking
> Transformer toy will break BEFORE the polyamide
> accessories will!

So far the pegs hold nice an tight, a little too tight. It can be difficult to get them out sometimes.

I'm re-working the Pea Shooter, making some the areas a little larger. I wonder if the print was just rushed in any case I've been working on it with some burnishing tools, and a clean fine point soldering tip (very handy).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2011 02:47PM by B00.
Sanjeev Wrote:
>
> Anyway, just one quick thing to add: in the past
> few days, I've done some destructive testing on
> polyamide. Lemme tell ya...your fucking
> Transformer toy will break BEFORE the polyamide
> accessories will!

Ah, wow. That makes Shapeways seem like a good solution for crafting replacement parts for broken toys or kits. I wonder if one could use it to replace the occasional Transformer component that has poor fit... The fact that these friction-based pegs in holes work makes me wonder, does the material have enough flexibility for a "C-clamp"-style ball joint?

BTW, B00, the cannon looks really great.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
asterphage Wrote:
>does the
> material have enough flexibility for a
> "C-clamp"-style ball joint?
>
>

Absolutely yes. One of the prints I've gotten is the 'Thugger 3.0', which is supposed to be a cassette style guy for Deluxe War for Cybertron Soundwave, so it's only an inch and a half tall, and features ball joints for the neck, hips, knees, ankles, shoulders, and elbows, and it's rock solid.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Prometheum5 Wrote:
>
> Absolutely yes. One of the prints I've gotten is
> the 'Thugger 3.0', which is supposed to be a
> cassette style guy for Deluxe War for Cybertron
> Soundwave, so it's only an inch and a half tall,
> and features ball joints for the neck, hips,
> knees, ankles, shoulders, and elbows, and it's
> rock solid.

That's great. It looks like that designer has done a few jointed items, including incredible Perfect-Grade-Gundam-style hands for Transformers Leader figures.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
B00
Yeah, that guy is the man. He's on TFW, calls himself Fakebusker he's my hero. I hope I can make kick ass figures in the up coming months.

asterphage Wrote:
> BTW, B00, the cannon looks really great.

Thanks man, I'm already designing it's replacement. Frag Cannon MK.II

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2011 05:30PM by B00.
Got to see B00's prints in person. Incredibly tight stuff. The cannon is incredible. A lot of love and thought going into these. Very excited for upcoming projects.
B00
Thanks man, I cant wait to get the shied and the warpath gun.

> Ah, wow. That makes Shapeways seem like a good
> solution for crafting replacement parts for broken
> toys or kits. I wonder if one could use it to
> replace the occasional Transformer component that
> has poor fit... The fact that these friction-based
> pegs in holes work makes me wonder, does the
> material have enough flexibility for a
> "C-clamp"-style ball joint?
>
>
> BTW, B00, the cannon looks really great.

This is really some amazing stuff, BOO. You're inspiring me to try to design a replacement windshield for my junker Wheeljack ... unless you know of someone who has already designed this part? :)

Best, Ken-A
B00
Started work on a new magnum revolver weapon. When it opens the cylinder (not yet modeled) will be removable. I also plan on making a shot FX add on.

When finished the shot FX and the cylinder will be printed out of transparent material. The idea is that you can paint them red or purple. Using transparent paint of course.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2011 08:41PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - Ultra_Magnum.jpg (162.9 KB)
open | download - Ultra_Magnum_2.jpg (126.2 KB)
open | download - UM_2.jpg (186.1 KB)
The concept is really cool. But I'm not sure I'm feeling the scope. Kinda takes away from the dirty harry vibe.
B00
The scope will be removable, the barrel too. I might make a few variations of each so you can mix the parts around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2011 01:22AM by B00.
I'm going to be trying to make some various original, Microman/nauts, Glyos, and possibly TF compatible stuff with Shapeways soon so I'm following a lot of these threads with extreme interest. I've got a Thugger (in indigo "strong flexible"), some Glyos parts by another user (mostly in "polished strong flexible"), and their sample set, so I know a little what to expect. The polished stuff is amazing, although it seems to whittle down the parts in certain areas more than others (the exposed glyos pegs work more or less correctly, but the ones that were joined together for cutting apart all came out too narrow in diameter).

One thought--I noticed your models are largely with beveled edges, which mine generally are as well, but I wonder if for Shapeways purposes it might not make more sense to use simple sharp unbeveled edges as the print process seems to round the edges some anyway? I might have to do some test shots with both types of edges and see how it goes.
B00
Another labor of love ready for print. Hope it works like I think it will.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2011 12:08AM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - umGun1.jpg (295.2 KB)
open | download - umGun2.jpg (283.2 KB)
open | download - umGunLayout.jpg (169.5 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Love what I'm seeing here, Tom. Not much more to add right now, but I'm just loving seeing how all this is evolving. And I'm glad to hear about other folks getting in on the action (especially the Glyos stuff microbry mentioned!).
B00
Shit, it works!

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, it's not so much the price or problems with the details. I mean, from what I gather, they don't even own the technology they use--they're just middle-men. They lease the 3D printers from the OEMs...and detail problems with sintered polyamide printing is just a limitation of today's technology. Not much you can do about it...
B00
A few more shots of the shield

Cost really, White strong flex is the cheapest. Even then I'm still dropping around $100 an order. I can also dye the parts myself using regular ritz dye.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2011 06:17PM by B00.
B00
I finished fitting, and glued the second one together. I love the clip on action.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2011 11:29PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - Clip_1.jpg (346.6 KB)
open | download - clip_2.jpg (439.9 KB)
B00
Oh yeah, forgot about this.

The swap pegs work well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2011 03:10AM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - Bug_gun_1.jpg (371.1 KB)
open | download - Bug_gun_2.jpg (387.3 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer