Masterpiece Starscream...again

Posted by VF5SS 
[www.tfw2005.com]

that beautiful profile from MP-03

oh well~
Yeah, I'm good with the one I have already.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
[higekumatoytoy.blog60.fc2.com]

more pics

eh

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2012 09:01PM by VF5SS.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Aaaaand...they managed to make the face sculpt WORSE. Fantastic.
That huge strut for moving the arm lasers were just as ugly on the prototype :<
Sanjeev (Admin)
Huh...I never noticed that. Yeah, pretty conspicuously sloppy.
The smirking face looks terrible, but I think the serious face is an improvement.

Between these two shots:

the new version does seem more Showy.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
The grey plastic looks cheap and slightly translucent like from the fucking Dark of the Moon toys, and the feet are gawdawful.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
asterphage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> the new version does seem more Showy.

A bit yeah. I think the problem is neither one has the right focus on concessions needed to make each mode look "right"

Also the USA MP Starscream is kind of a amalgamation of show and toy coloring like how the USA MP Skywarp is based more on the toy than the cartoon model. MP-11 is likely based on either an averaging of cartoon scenes or just the colored model sheet.

Only iGear made the showy-est colors :v

Don't mind me being autistic like Daryl says, but at the very least the old MP-03 design can detach the Kawamori hip thingies for more show accuracy ^w^;
Sanjeev (Admin)
I don't know if I buy that the new face is more showy. I mean...just watch the show! I think we can all agree that both are pretty crummy though.

And yeah, the grey plastic looks atrocious. But what's wrong with the new feet?
Sanjeev Wrote:
> I don't know if I buy that the new face is more
> showy. I mean...just watch the show!

Yeah, but look at the head size. The old one is pinheaded by comparison.

> But what's wrong with the new feet?

There's nothing wrong. THEY'RE MORE SHOWY.

-Paul Segal

is the new one in that "Hasbro Silver" Vange1us looooooooooves :v

man how did they fit that new head in there? It doesn't look like they modded the dorsal spine flap like on the iGear coneheads
The more I see of the new MP Starscream the more I like it. The previous version was a fine redesign of the G1 "seeker" concept in general, but this is a straight update of the basic, original Starscream, as per comic/cartoon depictions of the character. It feels like it was designed with that old fan plea in mind, "Make it just like the G1 toy, only better!"

-Paul Segal

Wouldn't being just like the G1 toy only better be more like Robot Masters Starscream :v

[www.tfu.info]

Because if you're going to go to all the trouble to engineer it so the titty intakes go away, you've already stopped being like the G1 toy.

[www.flickr.com]

Arguably the RM toy is much closer to the original design as in the show they had the dirty underside.

In the end it still feels like an unsatisfying re-kludging of an already kludged design that was kludged once before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2012 03:02PM by VF5SS.
The Robot Master's legs and outer chest area are indeed quite pleasingly cartoonish, but the clumsy, cheap-looking way the designers handled the arms and cockpit make it not quite "better" than the G1 toy. I think the new MP hits the mark about as well as Classics Starscream did.

-Paul Segal

Sanjeev (Admin)
The RM face is better than the new MP face. :P
Well the RM toy is hamstrung by its admitted cheapness as being a filler toy in a filler line. I think the basic engineering could be applied to a larger figure.
Yeah, I've got the RM toy, and pretty much wish I didn't.

More serious than thou
The new MP face reminds me of this guy.

Just add long hair.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
Since I already have the US G1 MP SS, I really want the new Sunstorm, but I'm not willing to pay what BBTS is asking for it.

[prometheusrising.net]
I caved, and I'm glad I did. As I was telling Mr. Crush, this is as good as we've gotten/will get to teh Showy.

Quite a bit less finnicky than the first version, thank goodness.

Did I mention teh Showy?

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned getting this.

The way the null rays stay attached to the arms during transformation (and after) is pretty neat in a utilitarian sort of way.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2012 02:46PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - Starscream 6-001.jpg (117.5 KB)
open | download - Starscream 2-001.jpg (115.7 KB)
The plastic looks really, really cheap. Like, Robot Masters cheap. How does it actually feel?

[prometheusrising.net]
Seems okay to me, Ben. But I'm easy to satisfy. I mean it doesn't feel fragile or anything. Maybe it's the lighting or the flash. The only problem I had was unlatching the two main wings to convert to robot mode (the slots are arranged in such a way that it takes some finesse to unhook the wings). Other than that, the transformation is smooth and straightforward and easier now (the hip kibble was not only ugly, it messed with the robot's balance and made the transformation more difficult). Not to mention that it disrupted teh SHOWY.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh...they got rid of the hip kibble...along with making the head bigger?

Huh...that's actually kinda tempting...
iGear one is the showiest
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Oh...they got rid of the hip kibble...along with
> making the head bigger?
>
> Huh...that's actually kinda tempting...

Not just the hip kibble, but the kibble next to the air intakes. Also, you have heel spurs that allow this toy to be completely stable on the ground. Did I mention the null rays are on a swinging ball-joint apparatus that allows them to plug into the wings in jet mode without detaching from the arms at all? Slick. Many of the changes were subtle and all very good. I am pleasantly surprised by Takaratomy.

VF5SS
>iGear one is the showiest

I don't know about that. The color feels a bit off, plus it retains the intake kibble (definitely not teh Showy) and the sliding mechanism for the tail fins on the legs don't look good in robot mode at all. And it lacks the newly designed heel spurs for stability.

showiester
VF5SS--Where is the 1984 birthday cake that that came off of? I would like to buy one...the cake, anyway.
BTW, because there's not enough nerd rage on the board these days--FUCK Shoji Kawamori designing TFs. There. I said it. This toy is proof that he should not be messing around with them. Unless he designed this, too...in which case...
The new MP Starscream is based on Kawamori's original prototype. I'm pretty sure he also designed the original G1 Optimus Prime. 80's Kawamori was a genius but I'm really not a fan of contemporary Kawamori (fuck every Macross VF and Destroid and Super Dimensional Fortress he designed after Macross Plus).

Original prototype for MP-03 from 2005:

Prototype for MP-11:

--------------------------
I want YOU for MoƩ Sucks Army

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2012 06:20PM by Scopedog.
I always liked the intake kibble with the vulcan cannons, but I do dig the new perfect transformation Null Rays.

[prometheusrising.net]
So, the new MP Stair Scram is so much better than the first stab at the design. It's a really good toy. Is it $100 more good than, say, the $30 I paid for a Hasbro MP Skywarp? No. Way.

I can live without a fancy deco, but there are some significant issues with the design. Namely, the sliding assembly on the body doesn't lock into place. It just floats there. So every time you turn the arms the whole torso slides up and comes apart. And the attachment for the wings is such that you cannot sweep them back and away from the body without unplugging them and subjecting them to gravity's merciless wiles. The neck-bar sits too high. And the plastic on mine, while perfectly colored, has swirls in it. Grr.

If it hadn't been for MP Grimlock, I would have never known what real MP quality is capable of. At $75, I think this would have been a reasonable toy. At twice that much, it's an atrocious value - a good purchase only for compulsive Transfans.
I should have added that the coronation parts are pretty badass and well designed. Especially the cape. It's genius. Too bad I don't care about those in the least.

I wonder if someone will cook up a modification for the torso slippage, or perhaps design a clip that will hold the halves together.

Also, is there a third-party Megatron that the MP Stair Scrams can hold?
He can still hold MP-01's Megatron gun

and Legends class Megatron has little slots for slipping into Sutasukreemu's delicate hands

there

now doesn't that look like a toy
Gcrush Wrote:
> I can live without a fancy deco, but there are
> some significant issues with the design. Namely,
> the sliding assembly on the body doesn't lock into
> place. It just floats there. So every time you
> turn the arms the whole torso slides up and comes
> apart.

Yeah, engaging the shoulder ratchets (i.e., moving the arms up) pulls the torso up as well if you're not holding the torso down. I should have noted that. I tend to fiddle with my toys much less than you, I think, which is why it didn't bug me as much and didn't occur to me to mention to you. Sorry about that.

> If it hadn't been for MP Grimlock, I would have
> never known what real MP quality is capable of.

Yeah, I think that toy ruined it for a lot of other toys. You pick up MP-10? (If not, you should probably wait for the cheaper US release.) To me, that toy's just about on par with Grimlock...not as totally satisfying in a way that's hard to describe (has to do with the feel/solidity of the piece and its engineering), but pretty damn close.
B00
This thing rocks. It's nice to have the original (tuned up) proto finally made into a production run.

MP-11 by t.birge, on Flickr

So....I was at the local TRU and noticed a MP Thundercracker on the shelf. Now since it has been a while since I have picked up a robot toy I decided to drop the coin on ol' Thundercracker thinking to myself, "hey it will be nice to have the complete set of MP seekers." Let me just say that in no way have I been following what has been going on with this guy. I assumed when I saw it on the shelf it was the old tooling just like Starscream and Skywarp. I mean it is a Hasbro TRU exclusive, why put in the effort of using the new Starscream tooling. Yeah I know they two toolings look different, but I just didn't look that close in the store. I must say, though, that I was pleasntly suprised when I opened him up and strarted playing around with him. The new tooling is a vast improvement over, if for no reason than the improved feet.

So after poking around on a couple of transformers boards I realize that apparantley MP Thundercracker isn't all that easy to find in the wild. Anyone else found him out there....

Oh I was also motivated to pick him up because I managed to get a preorder for the ne MP Optimus Prime from tru....$99 seem like a pretty good deal for him....And is it me or have the MP Transformers been the most interesting Robot toys on the market for a while now....
Sanjeev (Admin)
fel9
....And is it me or have the MP Transformers been the most interesting Robot toys on the market for a while now....

As far as higher-end robot toys, yeah, probably. Bandai has been pretty quiet with their SoCs (except maybe the DX SoC Mazinger) and Macross Frontier Valks. No new Valks other than the VF-4 from Yamato. Any other high-end players out there?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer