I actually saw an Episode of Transformers Prime that WOWED me this past weekend.

Posted by Marvin Lee 
I've been luke warm about TF Prime because it combines the two things I hate Bayformers and TF Animated. Some episodes are actually pretty good and have a very serious (see non-kiddieness) about them. but this weeks past episode:

One Shall Stand pt. 1 (Even the title lets you know that it's going to be different.)

The episode actually shows the little,nerdy boy close to death from a hit from Megatron ray.
Ratchet actually comes to grips that he's never even thought about learning human physiology

Prime decides he has to take out Megatron which leeds to a fairly long fight between Prime and Meg that runs longer than the fight from the 86 movie. Although not quite as epic as the 86 movie I did find myself caught up in it.

Other things of note.
This episode deals with religion, OP before he was OP is eluded too and a lot more talk about Unicron and Primus.

One thing that I hated:
Arcee mentions that Prime's don't laugh, don't socialize, don't have fun which is what I suspected they did with Op's charter in this version but that is a real shame because one of Optimus Prime's best attributes was his ability to be one of the guys and have fun (Remember him playing basketball in the G1 series. It was a worthy enough trait that they wanted to capture it on MP-10) This show has taken all of Optimus Prime's character and humanity.

Nothing will replace a good TF G1 episode (notice I said good episode) but this one had the feel of the original 86 movie.

Final thoughts about this particular episode...

Sanjeev if this episode doesn't do it for you stop watching because it truly doesn't get any better than this episode in this series.
I agree, this episode was pretty good. The series as a whole does seem to combine said non-kiddiness with cheesy elements of the G1 toon & other incarnations...and not always in a good way. I still find it far more palatable & certainly more enjoyable than Animated, though.

The one thing I didn't get though is the whole "Prime-never-smiles" thing...he's actually been somewhat light-hearted in previous episodes, though perhaps not as sociable as the G1 Prime. Case in point, I recall one episode where he offered to bring Raphael back a snowball from a trip to the Arctic.

I suppose we should be used to in-series contradictions with Transformers...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Admittedly, I punted on this series after the 5th episode or so. That said, I'd be willing to check out this particular episode (along with part 2, I'd imagine) as long as they're stand-alone enough so that I don't need to be up on the continuity plot (if any).

I'm in the midst of (finally) watching GaoGaiGar, but with Thundercats seemingly done for now, this might provide a nice break. The GGG theme music starts to wear on one's nerves pretty quick... ;)
If you don't watch the GGG intro, but watch the episode, then it doesn't count and you have to do it all over again. The opening serves as a primer for calibrating your brain, er, antenna, namely your...uuuh...medula oblongata, for maximum enjoyment of the GGG mission.

And NO, Vicky Vallencourt is not the devil.
Ok,

Part two was stupid. Unicron is the basis for earth. blech......
Marvin Lee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok,
>
> Part two was stupid. Unicron is the basis for
> earth. blech......

[SPOILERS?]

I thought the concept was intriguing. There aren't exactly a whole lot of new directions in which one could take Unicron. The casting out of Unicron, the gravitational accumulation of debris, magnetic planetary alignment, beating heart, "stretching and shattering Earth", omnipotent attitude, and humans as "Children of Unicron" are were all well played. The character design for Unicron was lukewarm, especially the giant dildo-hands, though the, "We are all Unicron," zombie army was a neat-o effect for scaling the conflict down to physical proportions.

I give it major points for doing something new, unexpected, and relatively logical within the narrative.
Supersentai Wrote:
> If you don't watch the GGG intro, but watch the
> episode, then it doesn't count and you have to do
> it all over again. The opening serves as a primer
> for calibrating your brain, er, antenna, namely
> your...uuuh...medula oblongata, for maximum
> enjoyment of the GGG mission.
>

THIS is the key to victory!

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Sounds...well...I don't know how that sounds. I'll still check it out.

But I have no expections.

Supersentai Wrote:
> If you don't watch the GGG intro, but watch the
> episode, then it doesn't count and you have to do
> it all over again. The opening serves as a primer
> for calibrating your brain, er, antenna, namely
> your...uuuh...medula oblongata, for maximum
> enjoyment of the GGG mission.

Well, I've been starting each (usually multi-episode) viewing with watching the intro at least once. But I gotta admit: during one particularly long til-you-bleed session, I was actually fast forwarding through the Final Fusion sequence.

Still...I'm now well into the second season (where they're in space, butting heads with Pizza-turned-J, and fighting the 31 Primevals) and I'm fucking loving the show. Odd that they never dubbed the rest and showed on tv. Guess they just missed the proper target audience...
The problem with watching a series like GaoGaoGar a second, third, or more times through is that you're itching to get to the GOOD STUFF while wading through the infant pool of the early episodes.

Arrival of King J-Der...KILLER!!!

Unleashing of Mic "I will forever be your most special friend for all time" Sounders the 13th...ultra-EPIC!!!

Made a buddy of mine watch ten minutes of GGG a day on the commuter train after watching our daily episode of Babylon 5 (which I had never given a chance, but really ended up enjoying), and he couldn't get enough of Mic the 13th! He even started doing a reasonably erie impression that busted by spleen.
Sanjeev (Admin)
See, I don't mind wading through the waste-time episodes as much. My history with GGG is one of patience: when the show first aired (and started coming out on vid in Japan), fansubs started trickling into the local comic con scene. Naturally, I gobbled up what I could...but around the 15th episode or so, they disappeared. So I never got to finish the damn series. Sure, crummy Hong Kong subbed editions were available soon after--and I gave them a shot. But after a couple episodes of the most horrific butchering of the English (and Japanese) language, I made coaster outta them. It wasn't until the more recent commercial releases--ten fucking years later--that the opportunity to finish this damn show finally presented itself.

J's the shit...straight up and down. Mic's aiight, I guess. The problem is that I just can't stop from comparing him to Basara from Macross 7...and that's a fight Mic's gonna lose every time...

By the way, I'm perfectly comfortable with this derailing of this Transformers Prime thread. :P
Sanjeev Wrote:

> By the way, I'm perfectly comfortable with this
> derailing of this Transformers Prime thread. :P

Eh, I love me some Transformers, but GGG is a better show than ANY version of TF I've ever watched.

More serious than thou
In reality, the threat was JACKED' by GGG...like Optimus would put up a fight.

I was half-joking Mic Sounders...the introduction of those robots was both tragic and unsettlingly comedic in my mind. The overriding clingyness and needyness of Mic the 13 and strange infatuation with Mamoru creeped me out to no end.

I feel you on having to wait so long to complete a show, same with the 90's GR series, think it was six years from beginning to end with just seven tapes (yes...TAPES...if kids today don't know what those are) total.
Sanjeev (Admin)
GR was worth waiting for.

I mean, I didn't--I was somehow lucky enough NOT to have heard about it until around the time the last episode was released! :P
Supersentai Wrote:
> The opening serves as a primer for calibrating your brain

I agree!

Sanjeev Wrote:
> But I gotta admit: during one particularly long
> til-you-bleed session, I was actually fast forwarding
> through the Final Fusion sequence.

Whaaaaat. I NEVER get tired of that train flying through the chest compartment and the fists spinning out of the forearms. That's some of my favorite mecha animation ever.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Well part two of the three part season finale went totally stupid with Unicron being the basis to Earth's creation, meaning that Unicron was everywhere. And again they made Megatron into Unicron's bitch.
Marvin Lee Wrote:
> And again they made Megatron into Unicron's bitch.

Then it pleases them to be the- oh, wait. Never mind.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer