Who would You like to see re-boot the Transformers after Bay?

Posted by Marvin Lee 
Why does a reboot have to be live action? I'm not knowledgable about current, popular, highbrow anime production companies or directors, but I think a high budget 2D Transformers movie made in Japan couldn't be any worse than what Michael Bay made.

edit: Just please god, not Gainax.

--------------------------
I want YOU for Moé Sucks Army

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2011 12:34PM by Scopedog.
To me, the only TF stories that elevate the story from farce to tragedy are the comics written by Simon Furman. Somehow he manages to rearrange the cliches and cheese into something greater, much like early Lucas or later Nolan have done. That was why I was so excited -- and then bitterly disappointed -- when I heard the villain in TF2 was the Fallen, a Furman creation. I have great nostalgia for the rest of the TF oeuvre, but it can in no way be called "good."

Best, Ken-A
MSW
Scopedog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why does a reboot have to be live action?

This times 1000!

I still don't understand this obsession with taking animated properties and turning them into live-action films.
It'd still be done with CGI. 2d movies are pretty much dead everywhere but Japan.
VF5SS Wrote:
> It'd still be done with CGI. 2d movies are pretty
> much dead everywhere but Japan.

An all CGI TF movie would make me go to the theater with a gun and I would kill myself at the theater. Not joking.

Sanjeev (Admin)
Wait, I'm getting confused now...are we saying...
"2D"=hand-drawn cartoon animation (like the original 80's TF movie)
"CGI"=completely computer generated (like Cars 2 or the Transformers Prime show)
"live-action"=live action humans and backgrounds, but cg robots (Bayformers)
?

I think a 2D (hand-drawn cartoon) wouldn't necessarily be bad, but it wouldn't be as eye-meltingly awesome as what *could* be done with computers. I thoroughly enjoyed the original 80's movie, but I'm not really "blown away", as it were, by the visuals. They're certainly adequate and I have no problem with them...but given the technology we have available today, we ought to be able to do better.

CGI (100%...like Prime or Beast Wars) would likely drive me to suici--actually, no, check that--make it homocide.

Live-action is where it's at, I think. The technology is damn close to where it needs to be, and I think it *could* make for an amazing spectacle...given NON-shitty mechanical designs. Like, imagine a live-action (a la Bayformers) version of the 80's movie. I'd have to call a doctor for an erection lasting more than four hours.

But we're all talking visuals here...a fan-friendly reboot starts with a script that doesn't make me want to jump off a bridge.
MSW
I was thinking stop motion...
B00
They should take a sentai approach. Have all the Autobot and Decepticons running around in plastic suits stomping on cardboard cities.....and sparks, lots of sparks....

There were a lot of TF episodes that stunk BUT there were enough that built the true history of the franchise.

Besides that Golden lagoon episode there are others: allow me to mention a few and I apologize for just describing them since I don't know the episodes right off by title.

1. One of the earlier episodes when Prime jumped in front of an explosion and said "I will protest you or shield you I forget." I do remember Spike writing in his journal that Optimus Prime would make a good President. (I think that episode first established Prime's character as more than just a Military leader but as a protector first... "Are you hearing this Bay>"

2. When Megatron was bringing Cybertron to Earth (Remember that blatant rip off you did Bay") The key part was that Megatrom actually made Optimus Prime pull the button or "Being the one responsible for destroying Cybertron" You could tell that that was killing Prime inside to do that.

3. When Omega Supreme was back flashing as to why he hated Devistator/constructicons so much. Again you could feel the emotion in that episode.

4. When the Aerial bots went back in time and learned that Optimus Prime was originally a simple robot names Orion Packs. This told the birth and rise of Megatron and how Packs was in awe of the Megatron. Only when Packs was tricked and left for dead as well as other TF did the aerial bots really learn how evil Megatron was and rescued Packs, sending him to Vector Sigma (?) was it? Then when Packs is re-created into Optimus Prime. Probable one of the best scenes ever was when Megatron asks: "Who are you?.... and Optimus Prime answers "Your worst nightmare Megatron!" That scene explained EVERYTHING between Optimus Prime and Megatron.

5.In an earlier eppisode: When Megatron exclaims in victory..."Is there anyone in the Universe who will challenge me?... and in the on a horizon you could hear Optimus Prime exclaim: "I Optimus Prime challenge you!" If that part wasn't enough Starscream instigates that by Cybertronian law Megatron must fight Prime...alone.

6. Every episode where Megatron is fighting with Starscream.

7.When the Autobots are gets zapped to another planet and they keep trying to tell the local people that "They AREN'T GODS!"

8. The nightclub episode was stupid BUT the music battle between Soundwave and Blaster was epic. "We all wanted to see that as soon as Blaster came out!"

9. When Cyclonus tries to have Galvatron committed because he was crazy/ Favorite line "Megatron Galvatron isn't it the same guy?

10" When they show the autobot cript and you hear all the popular bots that were now dead. I HATED them killing Prime even more so but it was a pretty emotional scene.

11. The return of Optimus Prime.

12. TF The movie. "How can a cartoon movie with Robots of 25 years ago have better acting than a modern movie... Hear that Bay? Bots can be made to act and show emotion?

As I said some parts of the old show were Brilliant!
VF5SS Wrote:
> It'd still be done with CGI. 2d movies are pretty
> much dead everywhere but Japan.

[www.imdb.com]

It's great that Disney is trying to retool Pooh for the 21st century, can't imagine kids today will get it without adding some sort of rapping, hipster, "Poochie" type character.

Anyway, can't imagine any theatrical 2D in the US for anything in the "action figure" realm ever being released again. Heck, after "The Movie"'s performance back in the heyday of the 80's, they still released the Joe movie straight to video.

I don't know how hardcore G1 fans will ever get what they want. With the piles of money the Bay films have brought in, there's no arguing that they're doing anything wrong in how the movies are being produced and selling the toys.

If I spent the rest of my life waiting for Hollywood to treat any property which I have a long standing affinity with in any way I would respect and appreciate, I'd likely be wasting my time. Whether it's Speed Racer, Mazinger, Gatchaman, Transformers, GI Joe, Voltron, Dragonball, Godzilla, etc., my expectations have been low and haven't been given any reason to change.
Best line in the entire G1 series has got to from Ultra Magnus..."It's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen...hand me the bomb"
microeric Wrote:
> Best line in the entire G1 series has got to from
> Ultra Magnus..."It's the most beautiful thing I've
> ever seen...hand me the bomb"

No, the real best line was said in one of the earlier episodes when Prime jumped in front of an explosion and said:

"I will protest you or shield you I forget."

Sanjeev (Admin)
Haha...well, funny typo's aside, this episode was the shit! Definitely one of my favorites...

Marvin Lee Wrote:
> 3. When Omega Supreme was back flashing as to why
> he hated Devistator/constructicons so much. Again
> you could feel the emotion in that episode.
For BEST G1 episode ever, I'm still torn between the legendary team-up's of Powerglide and Historiaaaaa (The Girl Who Loved Powerglide) and Tracks and Raul (Make Tracks). There's so many points to be made for either episode, I doubt this thread could contain them all.
One of my favorite episodes is Grimlock's New Brain, where Grimlock, basically the Autobot's biggest moron becomes the smartest one on their team. Love it!

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
I will protest you.... Boy was I drunk. hahahah.

But this just goes to prove that making a good TF movie with any one or a combo of some of the better episodes should make doing a Great movie that people new to TF can follow and one for the fans will love fairly easy.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh absolutely. It would definitely be easy...ain't nobody arguing the *difficulty* of making a GREAT TF movie. What I think we're all mostly saying is that it'll NEVER fucking happen! Hahaha...we live in an advanced capitalist society where maximized profit potential--not artistic integrity--rules.
You know what I want? A 2D series/movie but with the same level of detail the movie designs have.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Duncan Jones

I'll throw out Danny Boyle's name too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2011 02:31AM by moop.
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> You know what I want? A 2D series/movie but with
> the same level of detail the movie designs have.

That MIGHT actually be the one way to make the action less clear or engaging.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
>That MIGHT actually be the one way to make the action less clear or engaging.

I was thinking something like this:

[marble-v.deviantart.com]

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> >That MIGHT actually be the one way to make the
> action less clear or engaging.
>
> I was thinking something like this:
>
> [marble-v.deviantart.com]
> -quot-cover-image-203036739
>
> r-sheet-136255222?q=gallery%3Amarble-v%2F27232825&
> qo=12
>
> amjet-118743986?q=gallery%3Amarble-v%2F27232825&qo
> =20

Ugh. Not thanks, that is definitely worse. It just looks like modern messy anime robots.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
fujikuro Wrote:
> ...It
> just looks like modern messy anime robots.

I would argue substantially worse. That artwork might pass for comic adaptations of Bayformers, but would be absolutely atrocious if hand-animated.
Fall Of Cybertron video game epic trailer has been out.
The CG art style shown here, makes me almost fool myself that I could watch a movie like this. Am I silly?

I'll always get a goofy grin, sitting in my chair in little-kid-type excitement when a cool new version of Bruticus, and Grimlock come out to make a stomp!

Seemed most relevant to this thread.

[www.youtube.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
I'd totally watch a movie like that...

And I'm never silly.

:P
HOOOOLLLEEE!!!! That was the best new transformers footage I have seen in years! Why can't the freaking movie designs look like that!
Why are those Transformers covered in Lite Brite pegs? More Hasbro product placement?
MSW
The NEW Optimus Prime from Fall of Cybertron:

[www.youtube.com]

Covered with Lite Brite pegs and every bolt and panel randomly moves ALL THE TIME. Yet players are STILL going to be tasked with constantly RELOADING both the stupid weapons the Transformers arms fold into.
Gcrush Wrote:
> Why are those Transformers covered in Lite Brite
> pegs? More Hasbro product placement?

Bingo.

More serious than thou
oooh the trailer has a tender Optimus/Bumblebee love scene. I would prefer they cut the subtext and just have Op lay BB down on a bed of roses and kiss him on the forehead. I count as dear friends some fangirls who would be very pleased by that and it would be preferable to this clunky fake robo-emotion.

Also, that Bruticus design is a Perfectly Generic Robot, just made up of anonymous angled panels - if they scaled him down you'd believe he was any random Decepticon. Watching the transformation bits we see, I can't imagine what any of his limbs would look like as a vehicle... it looks like Vortex is just a big freakin' polygon with rotor blades when he's not doing duty as an arm. Awful.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
The think about the video game is the same test that I do with a new car design. If you can look at it without someone saying who or what it is then it is a successful design even if it is different. Every character I've seen so far on the video game I can name without someone having to tell me who it is VS. Bay's design where you are just in the wind. I bet NO ONE would have looked at the Bay designed Starscream, Ironhide, Jazz, Devistor, Skyfire, Ratchet, Sideswipe or rumble and got any of the figures right. Hell he wouldn't even use the right colors. One the last one I thought the red one was Sideswipe but no he was something else and sideswipe was battleship gryy.

I was hoping that the new game would have been on earth. I would have loved to see that level of technology and detail put on a classic or updated G! style. Is Cullen doing the voice of OP in this as well?
I hate the music for the trailer though. It sounds too much like the opening theme music to Firefly.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, the music was fucking terrible.

As for the OP-Bumblefuck love scene, yeah, a bit...off. I was honestly expecting the robo-kiss on the forehead or maybe robo-tears to run down OP's cheek. Hilariously awkward!

Anyway, Bruticus' components were definitely way too generic, but they nailed the head...and ultimately, that's all that matters to fanboys. Just seeing their beloved character rendered this nicely is likely all that's needed to sell the game.
I think Grimlock stole the trailer. He looked like the threat that he was when he was first created. The threads claim that Shockwave created the Dinobots? wtf? Wheeljack just got shafted.
Marvin Lee Wrote:
> The think about the video game is the same test
> that I do with a new car design. If you can look
> at it without someone saying who or what it is
> then it is a successful design even if it is
> different.

This is why Transformers is a vortex of infinite repetition.
Sanjeev (Admin)
But that's what people want...repetition. Same thing with comic books. Just ask Gcrush. People want to see their beloved characters kicking ass and taking names as they always did. War forever...never ending.

It doesn't make literary sense, but that's the nature of this medium. And I'm not for or against it...it just is what it is.
A nice article about the game company's fight to keep Dinobot awesomeness in "Fall of Cybertron" and try to have it make some sorta sense with continuity. psst: yes, wheeljack gets no credit.. ;0p
[www.theverge.com]

Oh, and losta cool art of the whole modernized Dinobot team in this link straight to the concept gallery from HighMoon Studios: [www.theverge.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2012 10:18PM by repairtechjon.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Damn, those are some gorgeous robo-dino's. I don't care about video games, but I sure hope they make toys of 'em that look THAT good! Thanks for posting the article, Jon.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer