MP-10???

Posted by gingaio 
Man, if the Takara eyes had been actual light piping, it woulda been fuckin perfect. Alas, it was just translucent blue plastic with a silvery reflective backing. Looked great when light hit them full on, but otherwise they looked dark. Not bad, but not great either.

I went ahead and painted the eyes on mine a few months back. Metallic topaz mixed with gloss light blue. Now the eyes on mine look like the anime color but with some reflectivity similar to the blue chrome they used on MP Grimlock's visor.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gotcha...makes sense. Weird--with so many of the regular toys featuring really cool light-piping, wonder why they didn't carry it through with this release...
Loads more pictures of the TRU Prime.

I can't abide that color scheme. Waaay too light.

The bonus photos with Dr. Wu's set of Jerkface figures are cool though. We should make some modern Diaclone drivers in that size/style...
I really don't mind the color being brighter. Very TV accurate. We get a sparkplug figure too. Now that was a nice touch. Man putting classic Prime to the Bay Prime makes the bay prime look like a junkion.
Are you sure that Sparkplug figure isn't some third party addition?

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Marvin Lee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I really don't mind the color being brighter. Very
> TV accurate. We get a sparkplug figure too. Now
> that was a nice touch.

You know, the Takara MP-10 is almost too light for my taste. The blue colors aren't quite as purple as the original Convoy, and it's a little vibrant overall. The Hasbro one looks like it is going to be as garish as the special edition MP-01 they released a few years ago - the one with the talking base. Damn but that thing was ugly.

Ginrai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you sure that Sparkplug figure isn't some
> third party addition?

The really cheap looking meat bag comes with MP-10, while the more detailed Shitplug and Son-of-Shitplug figures are from Dr. Wu.
I just compared Takara's MP-10 to iGear's Purple Nurple Not-Prime. Both are over-priced, but only one is worthy of your attention.

Also, the trailer on MP-10 surprised me. A lot. It's gorgeous. I think Roller might be the best part about the whole package. I just wish that it was the right color instead of being silver.

Daniel/Spike/Shitplug/Whatever is made of Halloween candy. Sweet Tarts to be exact.
Sparkplug?

Any ideas if Ginrai is right about this? He looks articulated exactly the same as Spike though, in the same style. Spike and Sparkplug both included would be AWESOME!
that's from the Dr. Wu 3rd party Sparkplug and Spike set
So, where can we buy a Dr. Wu Sparkplug and Spike set?

-Ginrai
wherever fine Wus are sold
Pre-order US release of MP-10: [www.toysrus.com]

$99.99 free shipping, limit of 2 per customer.
Anonymous User
doesnt work
zziing! whoops? The page was there this morning. Must have crashed, or blasted the preorder qty. out in less than a day? Yeesh.
Wow, I dunno, guys! They charged me, so I assume that means I'm in. I guess they blew through preorders really fast!

-Ginrai
Anonymous User
Transformers fans gotta ruin it for everybody.
I checked on a TF board. They definitely sold through all of their preorders in less than 8 hours. Way, Toys R Us, way to underestimate demand. Apparently it's likely that they will open again a couple more times for additional preorders.

-Ginrai
A shame, I really would have liked to preorder this baby. Still, there's always a chance. I just keep missing out on things (like the FP Steelcore as well).

More serious than thou
I actually managed to find one of these yesterday. Last one at the local Toys R US. They had some of the Generations Wheelie and Springer as well. I like the OP a good deal, though I feel as though the trailer really needs to be less plain. I'd like to see Reprolabels do a sticker set or something for it.

More serious than thou
Reprolabels DID do a sticker set for it already.

-Ginrai
Finally got the chance to open my Hasbro TRU MP Prime this morning (with youtube playing The Touch in the background). Lo and behold, it was plagued with quite a few QC issues. Floppy ankles, loose knee swivels, floppy hip ball swings (the non ratchet direction), back hatch doesn't close up entirely with folded gun stored inside, back hatch hinge has a big paint mess (like assembled while paint is still wet), some random rubbed/scratched chrome parts, gun has some gaps that the screws can't close up, Roller missing the silver pin on its small pinned hinge door...quite a few issues there, to sum it up.

Fortunately, Takara didn't try to hide screws or lock up parts, making disassembling these joints a breeze to do and get to fix a lot of these floppy joints really easy. A screw driver, some small cut up pieces of Glad Cling Wrap (I sandwich these in between joint halves to increase friction on where joints rubs against each other, works like a charm for joints you can take apart, and is very adjustable on how many layers you apply to adjust how tight you want the joint to be), some dental floss trick for the knee swivels are all I need. So after almost an hour of disassembling and testing....BAAAAMMMM!!! MP Prime is on his feet again without flopping around or nose dive. Solid as a rock!

Some of the aesthetics flaws I can live with, and after fixing this bad boy, MP Prime is a pretty nice toy. Awesome ankle movement that allows some very crazy 'A' stance with perfect ground contact. Hands holds gun very well. Fun to handle and pose (even though Prime can use some double elbow & knee joints). Very nice clicky ratchets on hip and knees. My trailer seems fine for the most part, aside some paint rubs or scratches. So in a way, MP-10 kind of lives up to its expectation, not counting its QC execution. It comes very close being the "be all, end all" Prime figure, and it is definitely the best looking G1 style Prime figure we have so far. But I do miss all the diecast and gimmick features it lacks in comparison to MP-01, even though its smaller size doesn't bother me at all (like the new size matching up other MPs & smaller bots). It is a pretty good value for $100 figure. But with the same execution, I can see myself having some buyer's remorse if this cost me $250 instead.

So for folks that are still waiting on finding or getting one, don't set your expectations sky high, and get ready to bust your chops and fix some floppy joints. It is a nicely designed figure with quite a few execution flaws. But if you can get it fixed, it will be a very good and playable TF with very good looks.
Interesting. I remember that the knee swivels and ankles could have been tighter (though they weren't that "loose" on my Takaratomy version. The only QC issue that was really noticeable to me was the looseness of the left smokestack (it kept sliding into the down position). A quick disassembly of the shoulder and a brush with some floor polish fixed it up. Then again, I didn't mess around with it too much before I re-boxed it, so maybe I missed something (?). But overall, it seemed solid to me.

Before I sold it, I noticed that the US MP Grimlock was a bit looser in general than the Takaratomy one (the sword hand in particular was very floppy at the wrist), though given that all of these are probably coming from the same factory, I wonder why there should be any difference.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2012 06:52PM by gingaio.
I found no sloppy execution on my Hasbro MP Prime, other than that the chest pieces don't fit as nicely together as I'd like. It's a nice toy, though a bit light in the heft department. I could have gone without the axe attachment and had instead some shooty missiles for the repair bay, like on the G1 toy. It would have been nice to have Roller be able to launch out as well. Hell, the FP trailer can do that. Still, I like the bright colors, and I'd have to say that of the MP figs I've owned it's second only to MP Grimlock overall. It might be hard for it to stand up to Soundwave, though, when he's released.

More serious than thou
fujikuro
It's a nice toy, though a bit light in the heft department. Still, I like the bright colors, and I'd have to say that of the MP figs I've owned it's second only to MP Grimlock overall. It might be hard for it to stand up to Soundwave, though, when he's released.

Does the Hasbro one at least have the diecast feet like the Takara?

Personally not a fan of the lighter-brighter colors, but the not-silver roller makes me jealous.

Agreed on this being as good as Grimlock. I also thought the newer MP Starscream was pretty good aside from the floating shoulders. Reeeeeeeally excited about Soundwave and the tapes...
What is the alleged release date on the Hasbro deal? I thought I had read somewhere that it was today, but there is no sign of it on either Hasbro's page or TRU's.

Thank you
You mean the Hasbro MP Prime? It's been in stores for a week or so.

More serious than thou
No sign of it at mine, which is why I was trying to find it on the TRU site (or the Hasbro site). My nearest TRU location is about 40 minutes away so I'd rather not keep driving back there for nothing.

Speaking of TRU site, they have 2 decent coupons available. One is 20% off online purchases of $125, the other is $20 off in store purchases over $100.

Thank you
I've seen two at my local TRU. I think you'll see them soon, but you might need to hit the place up frequently. Unfortunately, the local one is also far enough away for me that I have to make a special trip out there.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Jake, when the MP Grimlock came out in the US, I just called once a day to ask if they (the Dedham store) had any in. When they said no, I simply asked if they could check other nearby stores (though that may not make sense for you if you only have one even remotely nearby).
Anonymous User
Toys R Us Leominster still had 3 as of 10am this morning.
The closest TRU from me is 45 minutes away and I've hit it up three times only to get dissappointed, nothing but Movie and Prime stuff. I want to get the Hasbro MP Prime and Thundercracker but going back and forth is easlily gonna cost me in gas money what I would spend just buying the marked up ones off Ebay. I HATE TRU exclusives, but on the otherhand I did just pre-order the black Prime at a pretty good price so that kinda balances out not getting the two Hasbro MP's yet. Karma lol.
BTW, the feet on the Hasbro OP are diecast. I did pony up for the new Thundercracker, and I have to say the mold changes make for a much improved figure from the previous Starscream and Skywarp. There are still some issues that I have with it (wish the body parts snapped in so that the chest and shoulders wouldn't just slip upwards when you are holding it. I just hope they try reissuing the other two with the improvements to the mold.

More serious than thou
Grumble grumble. Still waiting for Toys "R" Us to give me my preordered Optimus.

-Ginrai
Ginrai
Grumble grumble. Still waiting for Toys "R" Us to give me my preordered Optimus.

You and me both brother...Funny thing is that on the confirmation e-mail it says, "RELEASE DATE Buy now for shipping by 10/15/12"...And here it is the 19th and I have not heard a word....oh well...
Exact same situation for me. Not a word.

-Ginrai
TRU in Brockton, MA. had 4 MP Thundercrackers and 0 MP Primes yesterday afternoon.

Still no sign on tru.com or Hasbro.com.

Thank you
If I find one of these at my local store (OP that is), would someone be willing to pay retail price, plus tax, plus actual shipping? I won't charge anything extra in case I locate one.

More serious than thou
Finally got a Hasbro MP Prime and Thundercracker. Costed me way more then it should have but I'm happy. After adding some reprolabels to the trailer and moding the ankles my Primes are super stable and IMHO the best MP Transformers so far. I also think I prefer Thundercracker to Starscream, this is such a nice update.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2012 01:24PM by chen.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0096.JPG (385.9 KB)
open | download - IMG_0097.JPG (393.3 KB)
fujikuro
If I find one of these at my local store (OP that is), would someone be willing to pay retail price, plus tax, plus actual shipping? I won't charge anything extra in case I locate one.

Possibly. I set $ aside and I want to buy this toy, but I'm still gambling on being able to take advantage of deals or at least free shipping.

Are you located near a TRU? I am kind of on the fence at the moment and I wouldn't want you to make special trips.

Thank you
Well, I'm somewhat near one. It's about 8 miles away from where I work, but practically next to a store where I do some buying occasionally. So, I do run across things now and then. What I can do is pick one up (if I see one again), and offer it up to the group. First one who wants it gets it.

More serious than thou
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer