[Transformers toy] Dark of the moon.

Posted by B00 
So, I picked up Cyberverse Prime with the jetpack and Ironhide in a fit of insanity yesterday, and I love them. I still have moral issues with the movie designs trying to replace the characters I love, but as cheap, pocket-sized figures, these are really some of the best small size figs Hasbro has ever made. I've always been a fan of the quaint simplicity of the Legends and minicons and whathaveyou, but these are honest to god legit figures with real transformations and articulation and accessories. Just small. Price to bang ratio is awesome, and they give me just enough movie design to fiddle with without feeling like I went overboard. Definitely going to keep an eye on the Cyberverse line, as there's already at least one more in the pipe that I want. I like the look of the Cyberverse playset boxes as well, basically being Micromaster battle stations, but the choice of characters in the sets has done nothing for me yet.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
B00
Yeah man, totally agree. I LOVE cyberverse. Powerglide is another good one, and Blackout is pretty cool too. There's an upcoming Shockwave set. It's a commander class (scout class) Shockwave with a transforming battle station. The station combines with shockwave to form a large tank that looks like the voyager class alt mode.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2011 09:56PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - DSC10214b.jpg (239.9 KB)
Don't mean to hate, but that looks like a purple Rorschach test, not a Transformer.

I see Barney's intestines.
gingaio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't mean to hate, but that looks like a purple
> Rorschach test, not a Transformer.
>
> I see Barney's intestines.

It's true, but at the size, pricepoint, and level of playability with the extra tank, I may yet buy one.

[prometheusrising.net]
[www.nytimes.com]

So according to this article, Shockwave is mute. Great, they wasted a great design and gave it zero character. I don't like how in the LA movies the Decepticons are treated like generic space monsters when part of the point to Transformers was the distinct characterization that both Autobots AND Decepticons had.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
That's part of what I hate about the TF Prime show - drone characters are basically what you're talking about here. Generic monsters - NOT "people" (even if evil) for sure. Even look at the fact that the Decepticons generally have bizarre proportions and animal-like legs usually while the Autobots are the most humanoid of the Transformers. Seems to me like it's part and parcel of having a pro-military bent to your movies. Can't get people behind whole-sale slaughter and murder unless the enemy is made less than human.

If we're lucky this will be it for Bayverse stuff. Maybe any new TF movies will be given over to a different team and this can just be called a trilogy. One can hope at least.

More serious than thou
B00
I've definitely enjoyed the toys more than to movies. ROTF was so very very bad. Great visuals but that's it. I will see DOTM (probly several time) but I have low expectations. I've never been a Bay fan.

Of course we know that this doesn't mean the end of TF movies because they make crazy amount of $$$$$$$$.

Personally, I'd want a prequel movie showing Cybertron.

I've been watching Prime and the drone characters are barely in it. Been getting a lot of Starscream, Knockout, and Breakdown though. And I love Starscream and Knockout.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Slow day at work, so I've been watching some of peaugh's reviews of the Cyberverse leaders. Pretty snazzy. Might have to pick up a few for hand-crack at work.
So, uh... now I have six Cyberverse figures. Prime with jetpack, Ironhide, Sideswipe, Sentinel Prime, Crankcase, and Blackout. These fuckers are awesome. Now I am on the hunt for the incoming Flak, Roadbuster, Guzzle, Megatron with trailer, and Shockwave with the tank.

Oh, and I also have Powerglide, but I don't count him as a real movie fig.

Somewhere I have the RotF Ratchet and Brawl Legends to add to my growing cast.

[prometheusrising.net]
Quick question... I got paid today & I have a budget of a little less than $30...I'm going to run to walmart later. Should I get Voyager Shockwave and a Cyberverse Commander figure...or should I get Deluxes Starscream and Optimus Prime, and a Cyberverse Commander? Also, which commander should I get? Again, I have Ironhide and Blackout.
I recommend Shockwave (the rubber hose is annoying though), deluxe class Starscream and Cyberverse Commander Powerglide.

Even though it's Voyager class,I actually like the smaller size that Shockwave is. It reminds me of the old mega class back in the Beast Wars days. I'd like at least one more Voyager from DOTM, but I can't decide which just yet.

Powerglide is a must. Blackout is pretty cool too though. I still hvae to recommend Jolt. It's a nice fun transformation.

More serious than thou
B00
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> Somewhere I have the RotF Ratchet and Brawl
> Legends to add to my growing cast.

Check out the new legion class Ratchet!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2011 04:11PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - ratchet_Legion.jpg (354.1 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
In keeping with all the micro-TF lust, are those minicon/legends/whatever Dinobots out yet?
[www.bigbadtoystore.com]

They look kinda groovy.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> In keeping with all the micro-TF lust, are those
> minicon/legends/whatever Dinobots out yet?
> [www.bigbadtoystore.com]
> oduct=HAS19990&mode=retail
>
> They look kinda groovy.

They're in Stock at BBTS, where they're an exclusive, so yes, they're out ;)

[prometheusrising.net]
mcfitch (Admin)
Going to see the movie tomorrow at 8AM in Providence. Hasbro rented a theater for us to all go see it.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Dang, that new Ratchet Cyberverse is actually pretty slick. I'll get him when they repaint him in something other than puppy shit green.

[prometheusrising.net]
Heh, now this is pretty cool. I really like the look of this poster:

More serious than thou
[www.youtube.com]

Replace Pearl Harbor with Transformers.

ICK, just reading the various reviews of the movie and the action therein, it sounds like more of the same fucked up interpretation of the characters. For god's sake they at least could have figured out that Prime is a standard hero character, not a guy who will shoot an unarmed opponent. Oh well, hoping for a total reboot once this movie is past, since we all know there will be more TF movies.

More serious than thou
Master. Class.

[www.youtube.com]

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Wait--there's a different trollop in this movie???
B00
"People looking up!"

> Wait--there's a different trollop in this movie???

Yeah, don't you remember "Carly" from the cartoon? The snobby, yuppie, hacker-chick who he eventually marries thus resulting in the "Daniel-thing"...that's HER!!! Now I AM s-t-o-k-e-d about this movie...jazzing even!
B00
I saw it at the midnight premier in my town. People who arrived early got to sit in the theater and watch Cars 2 (in it's entirety) for free. Essentially a double feature.

DOTM suffers the same Bay-tastic character moments, odd dialog exchanges, difficult to understand the motivation of certain character, and just good old talking for the sake of padding the film. And John Malkovich is there....

The FX are easily the best ever. But the bots still have little personality, cept for Bee Prime Megatron and Sentinel. Overall a mind numbing 2 and half hours. I cant wait to see it again!

[prometheusrising.net]
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> Is it John Malkovich, or Fake John Malkovich, his
> much cheaper, often seen on TV doppelganger?

That's like the old beer commercial: "Tastes terrible!" vs. "More filling!"
Sanjeev (Admin)
Tumbleweeds pass by.

No discussions on the movie?

I loved Dino's (was to be called Mirage) design.

Vincent Z. Wrote:
> Tumbleweeds pass by.
>
> No discussions on the movie?
>
> I loved Dino's (was to be called Mirage) design.

Is that who the red car was? Because in the two times we saw him fight, he seemed rad, but I didn't ever hear anyone mention his name or where the fuck he came from.

SPOILERS and such:

I saw it last night, and actually enjoyed it well enough. For those keeping track, that is a massive improvement from the previous installments. TF1 put me into a murderous rage that has lasted a good five years, and TF2 simply did not make me want to die. TF3 was far less openly offensive, and they manged to weed out most of the stuff that made you consider leaving the theater, trading it in for stuff that just numbed you enough to not care. Sanjeev's link to Topless Robot is pretty spot on. The pacing was shit, and the plot was laughable. The best thing it has going for it was the 3D, which made for a pretty effective spectacle, and really seemed to force Bay to clean up his shots. The whole Bay aesthetic worked much better in this movie because you could at least see the whole robots in action at once, making for tolerable, if not overly compelling fights. The Beef was still The Beef, and the actual story is sheer nonsense, including turning the awesome episode from the cartoon where Megatron convinces the world that the Autobots are bad and forcing them to take a rocket ship off earth into a scene in the film. I will admit, I liked the very, very silly premise of the Space Race being spurned by the landing of a UFO on the moon. I even liked the far more silly premise that Chernobyl was caused by the Rooskies trying to use space robot tech to make power. That said, I don't think 9/10s of the target audience will get that we were actually IN Pripyat and Chernobyl. Plus, I did not know Leonard Nimoy was voicing Sentinel Prime when I went in, and was pleasantly surprised.

Then, we get to the real action, for an hour. The thing that stuck out to me was that, as someone who plays video games and watches action movies and loves a good shoot-em-up, this movie was crazy fucking violent and I would not take kids to see if if I had any. I always thought the couple of scenes from the first two films where Prime stabs people over and over again, uses laser meathooks to split a fucker's face in half, and then straight up demands and removes the face from a badguy were really out of place. TF3 takes that shit to fucking Twelve. There is a full on super-dramatic execution scene. Humans get their shit stomped by robots, including using super lasers that disintegrate people but leave their clothes, and sometimes their skulls roll away. Actually, there's a lot of fixation with beheading in TF3. Like, almost every robot that dies loses their head, which visibly rolls away, so that there's no question they were just beheaded. It gets to the level of total absurdity. In the execution scene, the first dude to get rocked is on his knees with someone standing behind him with a gun, and instead of getting shot in the head, he gets shot in the back like three times, and then shot so that his chest and neck area explodes, sending his head rolling. There's robot blood and robot spit, leading to a real blurring of the lines between not being able to show humans dismembered in a PG-13 flick, but being able to fuck up robots because they aren't people. It honestly approached the level of off-putting, because it was just so excessive. There were a lot of young kids in the theater, and it felt weird.

Quick hits- There's yet another full on pep-speech by Prime in front of a wounded but still resplendent American flag. We see a bot die full-on Predator style, spine and everything. Also, this movie has the literal definition of throwaway characters. It's like there weren't enough bad characters from the first two movies to use as vehicles from the plot, so we introduced a few more to fill redundant roles so that we had dudes with names to kill 'dramatically', adding no levity to what was happening.

All that said, I still mostly enjoyed it, and had to run out and buy another figure after the film. So, I guess it worked?

[prometheusrising.net]
B00
It pissed me off that Iron Hide died like a bitch. He didn't even get to shoot back. And poor Q, a defenseless scientist brutally executed for no reason.

> It pissed me off that Iron Hide died like a bitch.
> He didn't even get to shoot back. And poor Q, a
> defenseless scientist brutally executed for no
> reason.

Died like a bitch AND nobody even seemed to CARE. Not once did they acknowledge his loss. Stuff like that is what makes these movies such easy pickings for heavy criticism.

[prometheusrising.net]
I lol'd hard when Laserbeak shot a bird when the Decepticons were in Africa.

MSW
I thought this movie was BARELY better then the last one. Thank God, No Skids and Mudflap this time. But you STILL have to sit through the extremely bloated first fucking HOUR and a HALF to get any action scenes. The "Sam seeks a job" montage that has to followed by the "Sam at work" montage and don't forget "Deep Wang"! ARGGHHH! And it's NOT like the action scenes are particularly good with the piss poor pacing. Yes, Optimus Prime spends approximately half the time dangling from cables during the protracted final action heavy hour. This is the same Prime who quickly dispatches both Sentinel Prime and Megatron in under a minute while missing a arm.

...And apparently Laserbeak is some sort of quad changer now. He has his bird mode, and red humanoid robot mode, an computer, and finally a copy machine. I would like to see Hasbro attempt a toy of that!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2011 12:05PM by MSW.
[www.evilbeetgossip.com]

Micheal Bay pastes robots over car chase scenes from The Island to make the freeway battle. Discuss.

[prometheusrising.net]
B00
That's hilarious. I guess he figured that the audience had never seen the island.

> That's hilarious. I guess he figured that the
> audience had never seen the island.

Seeing The Island in theaters is one of my most regretted moments in life.

[prometheusrising.net]
B00
I heard that people were hospitalized after viewing that movie. And were given anti-BAY-otics to stave off the effects of the film.

Click here to login

footer