[Transformers toy] Dark of the moon.

Posted by B00 
B00
Another really nice cyberverse commander is Powerglide.

Picked up a Powerglide. It is a nice figure. Aside from not being able to turn its head.

Honestly, I'd prefer that figures with immobile noggins have just the standard Four Points of Swivel. Otherwise, what's the point in having super-articulated limbs? Lame.

Can anyone comment on Leader Sentinel Prime?
Any pics of said Commander Starscream?
B00
Sentinel's ok. It's transformation is more problematic than complex. Many of the parts get in each others way, and you'll be lucky if the side panels fit together right. Mine isn't bad, but my friend's is awful. The parts are badly warped. He's packaged in bot mode so you cant tell if the side panels will have problems until after you get it.

> He's packaged in bot mode so you cant tell if the
> side panels will have problems until after you get
> it.

It wouldn't be the first time Hasbro does this to hide a small production problem...

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
>Any pics of said Commander Starscream?

It's not the Commander but the smaller Legends size with an Orbital Space Carrier.

[www.toysrus.com]

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
MSW
I only brought one character. Loved him so much, I ended up buying multiples. And I almost never do that!

Skyhammer is the shitz! IHMO best Transformer ever!
MSW Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Skyhammer is the shitz! IHMO best Transformer
> ever!

I thought it was just okay. The wobbly leg articulation and ballerina feet were a turn-off for me. Compared to something like movie Lugnut it didn't seem remarkable.

Just curious, but what made it stand out for you?
B00
Just got and returned the voyager Optimus Prime. Man, avoid this one. The truck mode is awful, it's so flimsy and none of the parts come together right. Pieces pop off this thing left and right. It's a real shame too, the transformation isn't bad at all. It just doesn't transform into anything worth a damn.

> MSW Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Skyhammer is the shitz! IHMO best Transformer
> > ever!
>
>
> I thought it was just okay. The wobbly leg
> articulation and ballerina feet were a turn-off
> for me. Compared to something like movie Lugnut
> it didn't seem remarkable.
>
> Just curious, but what made it stand out for you?

Just love the look of it. Kinda reminds of a different colored Dangaioh.
B00
I just got Nitro BB. I love the tricked out space-camaro look of his alt mode. Kinda reminds me of the Delorean time machine This BB got a lot of criticism from people who got it early. They said it had a lousy transformation, but after handling BB it seems like its right on par with most of the other DX's.

Haven't seen that one yet, though I did find the HA Whirl and motorcycle figures. Both are pretty nice in bot mode, the targetmaster bit is pretty cool for the bike. Facial paint apps are terrible with the human figures, as has been the norm for this line. I just wish they had managed to do Whirl in greyish baby blue like the G1 toy. Still, fun figures. Much better head sculpts than some of the earlier ones.

More serious than thou
Okay, on the subject of DX Starscream...everyone's been giving him stellar reviews, but I dunno...am I the only one that notices the huge gaps in the chest?? I mean, maybe they aren't as big an eyesore in person. The more I look at the figure, the closer I get to deciding to buy it...until my eyes fall on those gaps again. And another issue; the "mechtech" weapon. Even if I get Screamer, that weapon is getting put aside.

My question to you is...is it worth it? Even with these two setbacks?
Starscream has been the one I am studiously avoiding. Somehow it just doesn't seem right to have such a small figure of a pretty much giant flying craft. And he's really just about my least favorite Bayformers design. I have the Leader class SS, and it's a pretty good toy, but I mainly have him because Leader OP needs someone to fight and the ROTF Leader Megatron has got the articulation of a G1 toy. Beyond all this, I agree that the deluxe SS just doesn't seem to look all that good.

I much prefer the look of Barricade and Crankcase. Their transformations are fun and just simple enough to allow one to transform them in about 2-3 minutes tops.

More serious than thou
Well, Crankcase had the disadvantage of being seen by me in the pre-production phase...so I can't get the image of that fugly plastic-turd figure out of my head. But Barricade would get a hell yeah from me...if I could find him. I have the original movie Barricade & I was sorely disappointed in that thing...
There are a number of Barricades in my area. If you're interested I'll nab one for you at cost + shipping. I REALLY have to recommend the Jolt figure. Probably my favorite DOTM deluxe so far.

More serious than thou
B00
Ran into the DX Walmart exclusive Optimus Prime. It's an ok toy, by no means the greatest OP ever, but it's nice to have a DX class for my scale display.

I found the "Scan Series" Side Swipe and Iron Hide today at my local TRU. I got Iron Hide and I have to say it's an awesome piece.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2011 02:39AM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - Scan_Iron_2.jpg (437.3 KB)
open | download - Scan_Iron_1.jpg (364.2 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Wow, that's actually pretty creative! I just wish they'd made the back wheels clear, too...
Picked up a liter-class Senator Prime. The toy's flaws are numerous, but mostly due to bad design all around. The shoulder tabs, stubby feets, unarticulated hose, and backpack madness do not equate to Hasbro's proudest moment. (FYI - that would still be MP Grimlock). If it weren't for the fact that I had to destroy the packaging while opening it, this thing would probably be going back to the store.

Although, for the $30 I paid, the toy excels in one particularly important regard. It is a giant satanic-looking robot. The colors, the capes, and the head design all scream Devil Bot. Which, at the end of the day, is all any of us really wants from our toys - a commodified, transformable symbol of our impending eternal damnation.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gcrush Wrote:
> ...Which, at
> the end of the day, is all any of us really wants
> from our toys - a commodified, transformable
> symbol of our impending eternal damnation.

I'd rather spraypaint a Unicron red.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> I'd rather spraypaint a Unicron red.

Seriously, no love for Firetruck Satan as a concept?

Now, a Red Unicron would be awesome. But you gotta throw the Bayverse a little bone. Let them have this one, so-small-it's-almost-not-worth-mentioning victory.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I'm open-minded to throwing Bayverse toys (if not the movies) bones here and there (leaders Starscream and Prime from the second movie come to mind)...but Senior-Moment Prime? Eh.

That's supposed to be a firetruck, huh? Yeah...from what planet?

Stellar-yelp and Boptimus work for me because I can easily divorce them from the franchise: they're robots that turn into really nice renditions of real-world vehicles. Space-firetruck? Meh.

Oh, and please don't give Hasbro any more ideas with a red Unicron! I'm already behind on stand orders because of the new "Masterpiece" one! :P
Gcrush Wrote:
> Now, a Red Unicron would be awesome.

Commmie-cron? *teehee*

And I'm not so keen on Cesspool Prime, either, but I may pick up the Commander version. I'd get the Voyager-Class one, too, if the mechtech weapon wasn't an utter piece of shit...actually, let me rephrase that: I would get it if it didn't have a mechtech weapon. Mechtech=fail.

Actually, I just had a sort of epiphany. Some third-party company should make DECENT weapons to go with the DOTM figures in place of the f*cktech ones we've been given. IE missiles/null rays for deluxe 'Screamer, a better hose for voyager Sentinel Prime, etc. What do you guys think?
Sanjeev Wrote:
> That's supposed to be a firetruck, huh?
> Yeah...from what planet?

From planet Austria:

Sanjeev (Admin)
What the flying FUCK?

Well...suffice it to say that that's not a firetruck I've *ever* seen flossin' in the Bean! Thus, it may as well be Romulan.

And where are all the alien-sword-thingies on top?

Sanjeev Wrote:
> What the flying FUCK?
>
> Well...suffice it to say that that's not a
> firetruck I've *ever* seen flossin' in the Bean!
> Thus, it may as well be Romulan.

Fly Boy, you're gonna love it when I tell you that it's an "airplane" firetruck. As in, they use them at airports in crash landings and emergency scenarios. Or for other hazmat stuff. They are crazy fucking huge machines that make regular fire trucks look shrimpy. I think the SP alternate mode is supposed to be a Tiger. Or Panther. Or Simba. Or some other Lion King derivation thereof. Seriously, those Austrians engineers are about as original as Mac when it comes to naming shit.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Huh...as soon as you mentioned airport fires...I got a vision of some sort of Gerry Anderson miniature disaster. I can dig it. Still stupid. But I can dig it. ;)
HA! Figures Dr.Mr.Crush beat me to the joy of boinking Sanjeev over the head with a nerf mallet on truck terminology. =0)

Actually as soon as I saw the Sentinel Prime toy, with the single front axle, I assumed it WAS from the States, ...from WishKonshin actually.
OshKosh is famous for those fire rigs.
There's even a Flickr group for them(of couse!)
I didn't read up on any of the TF site threads to see what it actually was. The Austrian rig is cool too.

OshKosh truck B'Goshes
[www.flickr.com]
[www.flickr.com]

EDIT to further the beatin's: YES, predecessors of the giant alien firetruck do exist at Logan International. Take That! Blam!

[www.massfiretrucks.com]

[images.search.yahoo.com]

Anyways, too bad to hear the gripes on the toy, as from outside the box looking in, it looks like the only cool toy in the bunch, besides the helicopter dude.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2011 11:34PM by repairtechjon.
Sentinel Prime's truck mode is definitely a real vehicle. It's licensed from the real truck's manufacturer and everything. I like old guy robots, though. Still only bought the Cyberverse Sentinel Prime but the big one is tempting me.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Old guy robots and robots with facial hair are dope. It's science.

But either way you slice it, it sounds like Sentinel Prime is a crummy toy. My only point was that even if it weren't crummy, I would still have no desire to get it as it's a vehicle I've obviously never seen before...nor have any interest in now after coming to learn that it exists.

IF they'd made a character that changed into a normal firetruck that one would commonly see driving around a city, it'd be a whole different story. Inferno was the shit.
Me, I like it. I like the old guy robot bizness and I love trucks with cabs slung out over the wheels like these type of firetruck. The robot mode is fine, it's the poorly constructed truck mode that ruins it. BTW, the various weapons can all be stored under or inside the truck mode. No need to have the mechtech crap sitting on top.

More serious than thou
Well, Rodimus turns into some shit I've never seen on the street but I still like it. I don't require Transformers to turn into vehicles I see daily exclusively.

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
But Rodimus is cool...and Bayformers sucks my balls.

The fact that you can hide the mechtech garbage is good news, though...
I do agree with you that the aesthetic of "crumpled up ball of tinfoil" is awful, but I think Sentine Prime is a lot better than most Michael Baybots. The toy at least in robot mode looks like it's made up of only a few geometric shapes instead of 90 million. I think just the truck without a million flippy things deployed looks cool, as well. That said, it may very well be a freaking nightmare to transform. I dunno. I just got the little Cyberverse one and it's pretty cool.

-Ginrai
Sanjeev wrote...and Bayformers can suck my balls....

I love the this BBS and all of the highbrow Shakespearean type of language. Actually Bay was nice enough to give Devistator balls to for all of us to suck. Kinda:

To all of you watching this stupid movie... "Kiss Somma dis."
I reserve testicular epithets for anything that isn't a modern-day Diaclone.

Although, I gotta tell ya, those Human Alliance figures are pretty close in spirit to Diaclones. Little drivers, crazy transformations, and wacky proportions...

I think someone already mentioned this, but the newish HA motorcycle and helicopter and fucking badass. The big motorcycle robot grabs the dick of the smaller one to make a double-barreled mini-gun - just like that old Shockwave knockoff from Radioshack! Unfortunately, it has so many moving parts that it isn't really fun to transform. But...

The helicopter robot has all these absurd half-modes. Helicopter? Check. Gerwalk-copter? Check. Robot with a man sitting in its chest? Check. Robot? Check. Targetmaster-esque mega gun? Check. And so on.

I don't have any MASK toys, but I wonder if their helmets would fit on the little pilot guys in the HA line. If they do, someone should start repopping them for a quick cash-in. I'd buy a ziplock baggie full of them...
Sanjeev (Admin)
I love the MASK angle...but the thing I liked about MASK was that either way, the DOOD was the main focus in the toys AND in the cartoon. My man's flossing...shit hits the fan...and the whip sprouts wings and some mechanical arms from behind his seat shoves a mask that blinds people or does some other weird shit onto his head. Can't beat that.

The thing that makes me hesitate about the HA stuff is that the robots are the focus, not the DOOD (at least, that's how the relationship occurs to me). And the robots are kinda subpar...and the DOODs even worse. The robots were the focus back in Diaclone days, but the DOODs made for great accessories.

That's my take on these guys, anyway...I still wouldn't mind checking out one at some point. Jazz seems to be the favorite of the bunch...
Sanjeev Wrote:
> The thing that makes me hesitate about the HA
> stuff is that the robots are the focus, not the
> DOOD (at least, that's how the relationship occurs
> to me). And the robots are kinda subpar...and the
> DOODs even worse. The robots were the focus back
> in Diaclone days, but the DOODs made for great
> accessories.

You need to grab one of the smaller HA figures, like the snowmobile or helicopter. They're just so weird. And the pilot figures aren't all bad. The ones with helmets are actually pretty good for tiny little driver guys. In fact, I wish all of them had masked faces. Makes it cooler.

Seriously, this sub-line is so bizarre. Goofy half-modes, transforming into giant guns/melee weapons, swappable accessories, little driver doods... I honestly see them as modern day Diaclones. If they had more garish color schemes the analogy would be perfect.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer