[Transformers toy] Dark of the moon.

Posted by B00 
B00 Wrote:

> I live in Lexington KY. If your ever in the
> neighborhood, check out the Walmart on E. New
> circle road.

Serious? I live in lex too. Ran by that walmart earlier and it had a few of the DXs and a badly repainted Bumblebee.
B00 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just got back from a midnight TF toy hunt. Scored
> DOTM DX Starscream (awesome toy) and voyager Iron
> Hide (terrible toy).

I'm curious - what does Starscream do right? Because the other toys are pretty wrong...

Wal-Mart down the road had DOTM stuff out. It was pretty well picked over aside from the voyager figures. I nabbed a Megatron, Iron Hide, and exclusive Battle Hook Prime. None are without flaws.

As mentioned, Iron Hide is loosey-goosey. It's also too tall and has nerfed shoulder and hip articulation. You can pose it at the elbows, but that's about it. And the hips can't clear the pelvis to move forward. Huge stinker - avoid this one.

Megatron is... Not as bad as the pictures look, but not really great either. The mechtech gimmick is a gigantic waste and, again, there are loose joints all over mine. The basic design is good, and really makes me wish they'd do a leader version since all the previous Megatron toys are fairly screwed up.

Battle Hooks Prime is the best of the three. It's cheaper and comes with a DX figure as a freebie. It has an unmasked head and differently colored parts all around. Unfortunately, it also has a goofy stars-and-moon motif printed on some panels. If you have the previous Battle Blades voyager you can cobble the two together to get one pretty good toy.

So... Yeah. These were definitely not worth waiting for. The gimmicks, paint apps, and QC are weak-weak-weak. Definitely a step-down from TF toys in non-movie years. I would suggest to anyone on the fence that they skip these and wait for better ones to come out next year.
B00
Gcrush
I'm curious - what does Starscream do right? Because the other toys are pretty wrong...

Star scream is actually pretty solid, everything fits nice an tight in the F-22 mode. The F-22 is actually one of the best so far. It really nailed the proportions and lines. His transformation is pretty fun too.

Iron hide was a big disappointment for me as well. Does yours have a bad parts pop-off issues?

> Star scream is actually pretty solid, everything
> fits nice an tight in the F-22 mode. The F-22 is
> actually one of the best so far. It really nailed
> the proportions and lines. His transformation is
> pretty fun too.

I picked this up and agree for the most part. Some of the joints piss me off because they nerf the articulation. Why is poor Starscream always left begging for alms? Anyway, I wish they'd have bumped it up to voyager size. That would have been perfect.

> Iron hide was a big disappointment for me as well.
> Does yours have a bad parts pop-off issues?

The parts haven't popped off on mine. Yet. I found that the chest/shoulders/tummy can fit relatively tightly if you don't transform it according to instructions. But the head bobbles around and the legs from the knee down are floppy.

I'm also weirded out by the shoulder attachments to the inner panels. It's obvious they were designed to be a ball joint so the arms could move up/out slightly. But, for some reason, the slapped a rivet through the ball joint so it can only spin. And all the wasted space in truck mode? Totally, totally odd.

Forgot to mention something about Crankcase, too. I liked it at first because of the insect aesthetic and super pose-ability. But the windows in vehicle mode are solid black and don't look distinct enough from the truck. And in robot mode nothing really snaps into place. AND the pointy fingers have all been nipped to nubs for some reason. A real 50/50 bag.
Passed by a few other stores today while hitting the town. Toys R Us was dead empty. Literally nothing new on the pegs. No place had any of the second wave of product out - no Shockwave, Sidewsipe, etc.

Can anyone say if DX Barricade is a pleasant toy or not?
B00
I snagged Barricade today. It would be awesome if he has some kind of waist. He's just torso/arms/legs. It looks kinda strange and squat. The transformation is better than the original DX, and has a much better range of motion. I love Barricade so I couldn't pass on him. But the HA Barricade is still the best one of them all.

If your into the smaller class figures. Cyberverse IronHide is one hell of a fun little toy, Megatron too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2011 10:21PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - Torso_Man.jpg (367.7 KB)
HA Barricade is still a great toy. Other than Sideswipe, all the original HA toys were really nice (I've never found Mudflap, so I can't speak for him). The best of the bunch is Jazz, and it's a fantastic toy.

I did snag two of the small HA toys today - Backfire and Sandstorm. The other two looked kinda blah to me. Still, I may pick them up as I really like the whole HA thing. Each has multiple modes, including a gun mode. In the gun mode, each actually has a standard gun peg for another Transformer to hold it with. So, these are actually targetmasters on top of the other play value aspects they have. Kinda neat, though they have the same sort of design feel as the Power Core combiners. Looking over the aesthetics of these, I suspect the same design team handled them.

Backfire's gun and alt modes are his best. Robot is pretty basic. The Spike Witwicky figure is very nice, though, but it's really just a generic bike-rider guy with a helmet. Still, looks nice and fits on in bike mode quite well.

As for Sandstorm, his bot mode is very nice. Good articulation and nice looks overall. He's got extremely good ankle articulation. Alt mode is nice, though gun mode is a weird mess.

I do like both overall, though. Play value is high with these, as is the usual for the HA line. Good buys at less than $10 each.

I also grabbed Leader Sentinel Prime today. I haven't had much of a chance to mess with it other than to transform it once into alt mode. Annoyingly the sounds went off left and right while doing so. I need to remember to take the batteries out. Can I mention how much I dislike "lights and sounds" on toys in general?

Anyway, transformation is very involved - just about to the same level as the Leader OP from ROTF. However, compared to that overall gem of a toy, the transformation includes a lot of panel tabbing with tabs and pegs that don't quite fit right, and yield a toy that needs a lot of massaging to get it to stay together. At least I didn't have to pay $200 up front for this quality (unlike MP Rodimus). I love the truck mode design, but with the fiddlyish nature of the toy, the bot mode had better kick butt to make up for it.

Basically the truck mode wants to be Animated Ultra Magnus REAL bad but fails in many respects. Looks cool once you have him transformed all the way, but you're not going to want to do it often because it WILL take you at least 20 minutes to do so. Personally, I like my TFs to take only about 3-4 minutes at longest for me to swap from mode to mode. It's probably a bit unfair to compare this toy to UM as I really think that he's about as good of a TF toy as you'l find, but the truck modes are similar enough that I can't help it.

I'll report back on bot mode when I've had a chance to play with it more. Hopefully I actually get a break at work tomorrow to do so.

More serious than thou
B00 Wrote:
> I snagged Barricade today. It would be awesome if
> he has some kind of waist.

I managed to pick up a Barricade. You're right - it's a pretty good toy for $9. I am generally pleased, aside from some QC. One of the ankles on mine will not support the weight of the body. It just flops closed and the figure topples every time. Terrible. I wish they'd have gone with ankles like the ROTF DX Ratchet. (Hinge and the hingey part and ball-and-socket and the footy part.) I also wish they would have used more screws at the hinges instead of pins. Regarding the squattyness, is the white frame under the chest had been slightly tapered it would have looked a lot better. As it stands, that doesn't bother me as much as the mass taken from the figure and given to the cheesy, throw-away weapon.

Curiously, DX Barricade has a terrible time holding his, uh, gun. It almost looks like the team had this design ready before the mechtech thing was foisted upon them. Anyway, not bad for the price.
By the way, the only figures that really feel like they live up to their price are the human alliance basics. I picked up two of those and they remind me of 1980s toy design in a good way. Like M.A.S.K. meets Transformers. They're loaded with c-clip weapons and goofy "triple change" modes that are utterly charming in their awkwardness.

Based on this I would tentatively recommend them to Sanjeev.

Also based on this, I wish the mechtech weapons in the rest of the line would have been abandoned in favor of loading up figures with lots of extra c-clip weapons instead.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gcrush Wrote:
> Based on this I would tentatively recommend them
> to Sanjeev.

I just watched peaugh's review of HA Jazz, because the consensus sorta seems like he's the best one. Doesn't look bad at all, actually...but the "pasty white guy" figure looks absolutely terrible...in contrast with the original MASK figures, which looked a TON better, had the mask accessory, of course, and were based on characters that generally didn't make me wanna choke myself to death (well...except for Bruce Sato!).

Also, the motorcycle that transforms into Jazz's gun? Meh. First of all, why would the dude by riding that when he could be flossing inside the Solstice??? But anyway, I think they should have made the side piece a straight up Targetmaster or something...and ditch the boring human.

Still...not bad. I was probably tempted more by the second movie's Leader Prime and Starscream, and that TRU-exclusive mini Devastator...but in the end, only a couple Bayformer movie toys have survived my iron-fisted purging: the Gravity Bots. Yeah, I know there just isn't much to talk about with them, but fuck-damn if they ain't fun as shit!
Sanjeev Wrote:
> I just watched peaugh's review of HA Jazz...

Naw, I meant the recent Dark of the Moon basic human alliance figures. For $9 a pop you get a weird, goofy toy with some interesting play value. The bigger HA figures are good, too. But they don't hit the oddly sweet spot of the smaller ones.

Oh, and I agree that all the pilots need to wear helmets. That's just safety, you know? Plus the look better doing it, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2011 01:25PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - Backfire.jpg (32.7 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh my bust...shit...yeah, some of these are kinda hot. I'm not really feeling that Backfire--it doesn't look bad, but it seems kinda plain. I dig these two:

Though I wish there were some sort of powered armor form for all of them, not just that first one above...
B00
It's sure nice that the transformers dry-spell of 2011 has had a break. While not all of the DOTM figures are winners or chicken-dinners, there are some great toys in the line.

Cyberverse Blackout is a lot of fun. DX Jolt has a great bot mode (if you like Jolt's design) and very clever transformation.

The new Bumblebee is actually very nice. I know it's another BB toy and people are probly sick of him by now, but it dose transform very nicely (it's made like the Battle blade bee) and all the parts come together very tightly in Camaro mode.

> Though I wish there were some sort of powered
> armor form for all of them, not just that first
> one above...

The others others have some bizarro Grr-Walk modes that you might find thrilling. I was surprised how much I enjoyed them for the price. Good goofy, not bad goofy. Like old skewl Pretenders or something equally difficult to imagine as "Transformers". They're an odd sub-line, but I hope they go on for awhile.

B00 Wrote:
> Cyberverse Blackout is a lot of fun.

I dunno... The hips are so floppy mine won't stand.

> DX Jolt has a great bot mode and very clever transformation.

Does it stand well? The feet look funky.

> The new Bumblebee is actually very nice.

I like how it has been shrunk a little and the hand positions fixed. But the robot back is weird and I can't get it to sit well. It just flops around...
In all my bitching I forgot to mention one of the more interesting, and pleasant, surprises. Voyager Megatron was engineered in such a way that the tanker half actually pivots on the back of the tractor. I fully endorse this design for a leader-sized upgrade.
B00
I found that I can wedge the BB backpack up between the doors, and it sits pretty solid.

Sorry to hear that your blackout has limp legs. If you take the legs off and put a coat of super glue (not crazy glue) on the hips, let it dry, then put the legs back on, the hips will be much stronger. Should also help with your Barricade foot.

Voyager Megs is indeed a nice piece. I ragged on it way back when photos came out. I though it looked kinda underwhelming, but not anymore. I too love the trailer swivel.

Jolt's feet do look strange, but he stands fine.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
I picked up the deluxe Roadbuster and Crankshaft, and I'm kind of underwhelmed.

The MechTech weapons are even worse than I expected - not only are they huge and ungainly, but I can't even find a way to lock them in their extended positions. As for the figures, they seem a little slapdash. Joints are either too tight or too loose, ball joints separate with almost no pressure, the plastic seems thin and flimsy on the panels, and the paint is pretty rudimentary. Both figures would benefit greatly from more painted detail, especially the wheels (solid black?) and the torsos (Roadbuster's chest is just a molded mass of grey).

A Voyager- or Leader-class Roadbuster might be pretty damn good, though. The scale would allow for more detail on a robot mode that could be really good if treated right. The missile pods and other weapons remind me of some of the light 'mechs from Battletech, and it's a generally well-proportioned design with some nice touches. The deluxe version just doesn't do it justice.

The Human Alliance figures looked promising; in retrospect I should have picked those up instead. Unlike the recent Generations/Classics/whatever releases, which benefited from a lot of attention to detail, the Dark of the Moon toys seem like nobody really cared all that much about making them good...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gcrush Wrote:
> Like old skewl Pretenders
> or something equally difficult to imagine as
> "Transformers".

YES.

Prometheum5 Wrote:
> That white one is actually super cool in a really
> graceful way. Transforms into a snowmobile?

What's wrong? Couldn't deign to do the research?

Gcrush Wrote:
> Oh, and I agree that all the pilots need to wear
> helmets.

;)

Anyway, the more I look at this design, the more I dig it.

And I know I mentioned Targetmasters above...but...the main robots ARE supposed to turn into Targetmasters...

for Hobo Megatron!?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2011 11:54PM by Sanjeev.
The snowmobile one looks sorta Escaflowne-ish to me or maybe even Gundamish it has an angelic look about it.... different but I don't know how I think it fits in the line. Kinda like kinda don't. The other one that Sanjeev posted looks like a robot having breach baby. The whole line has a 80's M.A.S.K feel as mentioned before. I think that Hasbro tip toed into this one after stepping into the full steaming cow pie that was ROTF. I sorta like the crankcase figure but I too as mentioned on Youtube see it as a movie version of an insecticon. or just a robot rip off of predator.

The one I seem most excited about is Skyhammer. He is definitely on the Classics style and I'm sure he would have been classified as one if the movie wasn't coming out. I had a general rule against anything Bayformish so I left Lockdown on the shelves back in the day then they re-did the figure with a new head and put it as a classics style figure called axon so I found myself back peddling to get the lockdown. Get the skyhammer or when it gets re-painted as something else in our beloved classics line you will have regretted it.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Anyway, the more I look at this design, the more I
> dig it.
>
> And I know I mentioned Targetmasters
> above...but...the main robots ARE supposed to turn
> into Targetmasters...
>
> for Hobo Megatron!?

That's what I'm talkin'bout. This sub-line is just so damn weird. Consider the following:

1. Snowmobile
2. Decepticon
3. Triple-change
4. Sgt. CHAOS Pilot
5. Clip-on Weapons
6. Funky half-conversions
7. Snowmobile-Chainsaw Arm-ness
8. Pocket Sized
9. Purple "Face"
10. Jetfire Feets
11. Just $9

I goofed around with Icepick above a little bit today and there's about a half-dozen variations on robot/machine you can pull with it. Snowmobile with legs? Check. Man driving a giant chainsaw? Check. Venus fly-trap gun that nearly ANY Transformer can hold? Check. It goes on and on.

I wish the pics above showed the figure with the treads fully opened into the clamp/wing configuration. It's so funky. And surprisingly well engineered. That one tiny section has about a half-dozen different parts in it that all work together intuitively and in perfect harmony. It's crazy!

I have no idea what's going on with that thing's "face". And I like that. It's purple. Some kind of hockey mask made out of left over Echo Base screen displays or something. And the "guns"? They're like laser blasters with Gillette razors stuffed into the barrels. Nuts!

Most of these HA figures barely look like anything specific when in either mode, and that's actually a plus in these cases. I repeat: You would not ordinarily confuse these for Transformers. Dr. Gcrush prescribes you two for the first week and one a month thereafter for six months.
Marvin Lee Wrote:
> The other one that Sanjeev posted looks like a
> robot having breach baby.

You say that like it's a bad thing!

> I had a general rule against
> anything Bayformish so I left Lockdown on the
> shelves back in the day...

I don't get Bayverse and Classics twisted up in my head. They're different aesthetics that have both produced some awesome toys (as well as some real stinkers). Lockdown is one of the best DX figures they've ever made. Aside from the rubbery hands it's better than even some of the $20 figures. And you can probably still find them for sale at a Ross or TJ Maxx near you right now...
I've been waffling on Skyhammer. The pics online didn't look all that good, but the toy seems much nicer in person. I picked up Megatron and am enjoying him a lot. Actually really enjoying Cyberverse Megs as well, along with the Bumblebee battle base thingy. I di mange to find Voyager Shockwave the other day and it's actually pretty nice for a Bayformer villain toy. It actually looks like Shockwave. As noted above, I am looking forward to the leader class Megs figure, but I I think a leader class Shockwave is going to be fantastic.

More serious than thou
I really liked HA Bumblebee from ROTF even though it was a bitch and a half to transform. Some of these seem cool. Also I have an ill-advised boner for Sentinel Prime. For some reason old guy robot is hilarious to me. I loved ROTF leader class Jetfire even though transforming it was again a pain. ROBOT CANE. I love stupid robot beards.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
I like the HA figures just because it gives us a scale comparo,I thought there'd be more on the Spike Witwickey mention but it has been particularly quiet, BUT I don't follow the Fanboy sites to see. Our little TF BBS is the perfect amount of nuttyness for me. I love my fellow dumb asses here.
Speaking of the HA figures, what I really need is an HA toy of the Ice Cream truck twins. Hate the characters, but the goofy ice cream truck thing was just too cool. Wish they had made it in a larger size. I have some hope for it since they came out with the HA Jazz toy after the last movie even though the character was killed off in the first movie.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Marvin Lee Wrote:
> ...BUT I don't follow the Fanboy
> sites to see. Our little TF BBS is the perfect
> amount of nuttyness for me. I love my fellow dumb
> asses here.

AMEN.
B00
I picked up HA Sandstorm today. Neat little figure. I love his pilot who looks like Ted Danson after he came back from the optometrist.

> I picked up HA Sandstorm today. Neat little
> figure. I love his pilot who looks like Ted Danson
> after he came back from the optometrist.

I thought it was Gary Busey...
Walmart Exclusive: Legends class Roddimus!

I saw this today at Walmart as an exclusive. It comes with a mustard slime looking Bumblee bee---- pass and a Soundwave--- transform into a blue metallic snowflake I mean Satellite--- pass. But the bonus figure is a legends class Hotrod/Rodimus. The FRUSTRATING part about it is that they don'r show the alt mode on the box!

This reminds me of when we were little and bought that crappy cereal just to get the cool toy prize inside.
Thanks to B00, I scored a Shockwave and Topspin. Shockwave is awesomely evil. Both modes are nice. Only hindrance is the tube. It just sucks. Topspin, I'm not sure about. A lot about him is cool. Maybe he's just a bit too fiddly for me. Love that he's loaded with guns though.
B00
No problem man, glad to help.

He's a wave 2 figure. Some stores have him already.

I didn't see Shockwave but I did get Starscream and Roadbuster. Nice figures.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
B00 pointed me at a walmart. Another cat found one in Meijer here.
Finally wandered into the local Wally Mart tonight, and there the voyagers all were. Weird. Usually a Saturday night would be the WORST post-vulture feeding, time to find anything.
The Shockwave is indeed pretty cool looking in bot mode. The weird digger-mobile alt mode thingie is kinda' like Megs original movie ship mode. Sort of a WHat? is that?

New Megs is interesting with the cape/hood deal. I'll get him cuz I (like any proper kid from the 70's) just love tractor-trailers, as much as dinosaurs.

Prime, eh, another movie Optimus. Still no trailer with him.

*They also had the big Leader Class Sentinel Prime. Now THAT, was the best looking robot, and firetruck mode, of any of the toys I saw. He's got to be the least Bay-ified design in the movie. Much more smooth, continuous panels.

Oh, and TRU had nuffin'. Have to go on Tue/Wed AM like Marvin does I guess, and fight me some scalpers! Hoo-Hoo!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2011 12:14AM by repairtechjon.
ICK. Picked up the Cyberverse Optimus with trailer. The OP figure itself is pretty lousy in comparison to the Cyberverse Megatron (a pretty nice solid figure), but the trailer is pure crap. Just terrible. Floppy, flimsy - feels like KO plastic. The ONLY good thing you can say about it is that in trailer mode it looks like OP's trailer. Otherwise it's garbage.

The Bumblebee set is better, but not tons better. The vehicle mode is OK, but the base mode is just bizarre. It's got big cannons that flip out - and then just point straight at the sky. The BB figure is pretty nice for a legends scale toy though. I like the blue eyes better than the standard release of the figure.

Unfortunately, I was hoping for a Micromaster type of play experience with these, and at best you've got dime-store quality with almost no playability at all. Sorry I picked these two sets up outside of the Bumblebee figure.

More serious than thou
Hobo Megatron and Sentinel Prime are really calling to me, but I have been resisting.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
I picked up Commanders Ironhide and Blackout yesterday...by far the BEST movie figures I've ever owned. They're decent likenesses to the robot character, with decent likenesses to the alt modes, and transformations that aren't overly complicated but just intricate enough to keep you interested...I'm still on the fence about Optimus, but I'll more than likely pass on Megatron and Sentinel Prime (a decision I'll likely regret after the movie comes out.) If they release Starscream, Shockwave, Bumblebee, Ratchet, etc., I'll probably jump on the bandwagon for them...
I'd consider getting the Starscream cyberverse commander set, but I only want the figure. They afre releasing a separate version but it doesn't look as good.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer