Masterpiece Rodimus Convoy

Posted by gingaio 
I give them credit. At least it's not the usual black with gray/silver/gold that nearly all black redecos gets.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Vincent Z. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I give them credit. At least it's not the usual
> black with gray/silver/gold that nearly all black
> redecos gets.

True, but now it doesn't match the existing Black Rodimooses! They can't win.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
"tracksuit" rodimus. I dunno. pretty damn 90's.
Anonymous User
That purple visor is just so snazzy! If I get one of these, I might leave it that way all the time.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gotta say, I was rather taken with the purple shades myself!

Anyway, this totally reminds me: I had a weird dream early this morning (y'know...around noon) that iGear put out two not-Masterpiece bootlegs of this. One for Hot Rod and one for Rodimus Prime. They looked identical in robot and vehicle mode, but they couldn't do the evolution gimmick, so they ended up being a LOT simpler and much more rugged as toys.

Then I woke up.

Son of a bitch...
ok i think we need to address this whole issue of "dual modes made this toy complex" because it is bullshit.

the whole conversion process from hot rod to rodimus prime is entirely minimal. the face-swap is contained entirely in the head, the tiny spoiler movements affect nothing, and the extending hips DO NOTHING to affect the transformation of the toy. Even the Rodimus Prime vehicle is 80% made up of the trailer and like 20% reconfiguring the Hot Rod car. All it really involves from the car is opening the windshield (which it would have probably done anyways), rotating and sliding the rear of the car (which is part of the regular transformation), and move around the exhaust pipes (which again does nothing to affect the transformation).

so stop being such babies. especially you sanjeev when you don't even own the toy :p
Sanjeev (Admin)
Alas, it's all about perception, I guess. The consensus seemed that the toy was overall less rugged than Prime or Grimlock. I love the character, so in looking for a scapegoat, my subconscious probably latched onto the character-switching gimmick (which I still think is moronic: Prime doesn't convert into fucking Orion Pax!). And to be fair, it was a dream! I mean, I have dreams where I'm still trying to bang ex-girlfriends...when that's the LAST thing I should ever be doing in reality! :P

Hey, bring yours to the Summit: I'm always open to being proven wrong (hey, Jon brought his MP Grimlock last year and that convinced me!).
Recolor exclusive idea. Made in sparkly red plastic, call it "Hate Plague Rodimus".

Sanjeev Wrote:
> Alas, it's all about perception, I guess. The
> consensus seemed that the toy was overall less
> rugged than Prime or Grimlock. I love the
> character, so in looking for a scapegoat, my
> subconscious probably latched onto the
> character-switching gimmick (which I still think
> is moronic: Prime doesn't convert into fucking
> Orion Pax!). And to be fair, it was a dream! I
> mean, I have dreams where I'm still trying to bang
> ex-girlfriends...when that's the LAST thing I
> should ever be doing in reality! :P
>
> Hey, bring yours to the Summit: I'm always open to
> being proven wrong (hey, Jon brought his MP
> Grimlock last year and that convinced me!).

I own the toy and still believe that it would have been made better as a single transforming toy either way. Additionally, perhaps if they had gone at it with the same general idea as MP Grimlock, it might have been a better toy. Grimlock is a modern update to the original G1 toy, where Rodimus is an animation-accurate figure that bears little resemblance to the original toy. In making it follow the animation, it became needlessly complex. Rodimus is perhaps the only expensive toy I've ever owned that I have had on display for only a few weeks. Mine also has problems with its leg panels. HLJ has offered to take it back and send me a new one when they get their reissue stock later this year. I might take them up on it, as supposedly there will be some improvements. Dunno, hopefully they make it a better figure. As it is, it's in the box and doesn't come out. It's just not that fun to mess with.

More serious than thou
MP Grimlock is also meant to be an animation accurate toy. It's just that out of all the G1 Transformers he's one who actually looks like his toy.
Really? That's what they're charging even MORE money for. Hideous!!!
Even the 80's had enough self-respect to avoid such horrifying colour combinations.

I'd second the notion on the Hate Plauge Rod though, that'd be brilliant if it was done like some of the shimmering vinyl glitter-zillas that were out a few years ago.

This new Rodimus reminds me of the test footage from "The Movie" when Ultra Magnus was still wearing his Diaclone colours, before they corrected it in the end. And not in a good way.

p.s. After seeing about a zillion pics of the MP Rodimus, still can't readily decipher the difference between Hot Rod and Rodie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2011 11:06PM by Supersentai.
[www.toysrus.com]

Screw it. I'm not going to play the "find the exclusive toy that every TF fan wants" game this year like I did with Grimlock.

Anonymous User
Is it actually out?
Not out til August I think. I'm too lazy to go to an actual TRU.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2011 11:05PM by Vincent Z..
TRU MP Rodimus is supposedly coming out on August 8th, but people are already finding him all over.

If you "like" TRU on facebook you can get a 20% off coupon that's good towards Rodimus and expires on August 14th:

[www.facebook.com]

You can actually print the coupon three times but I did this and ended up with only two different bar codes so I assume the third coupon won't work.

--------------------------
I want YOU for MoƩ Sucks Army
I really like the idea of the targetmaster, but can't see getting it for just that. Already have the original, so, I'll be sticking with it.

More serious than thou
Anonymous User
The local store had 4, called up and they held one for me. By the time I got to the store an hour later the others were gone.
[www.hk-tf.com]

bunch of pics
B00
I kinda want one of these guys just to take the undamaged spoiler off and put it on my jp version.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
B00
It's deep scratches on mine, it took the yellow paint off the spoiler :(

-Ginrai
I was able to remove them myself using a soft pencil eraser.

More serious than thou
B00
You guys are lucky. I think the paint was too thick on mine, and the tight fit on the trailer just kinda sheered it off.

-Ginrai
Bought a Hasbro MP Rodimus today, it's a decent figure and at about a $100 cheaper then the Takara version a real steal. No real complaints, it is a little plasticky and I wish there was a way to remove the paint graphics from the lower legs without ruining it but still it's a all right figure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2011 06:36PM by chen.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1083.jpg (130 KB)
open | download - IMG_1084.jpg (120.3 KB)
open | download - IMG_1086.jpg (123.2 KB)
Rodimus was such a colossal piece of crap that I took the time to return it. Needlessly complex and as cohesive as a Jenga tower, easily not worth the $50 I paid for it. Even the Targetmaster dood was a hot, floppy mess.

I was really perplexed by: The utter weakness of the torso halves and their inability to stay connected. The fact that the arms cannot move laterally when positioned in front of the robot. And how the butt and crotch armor seems to be reversed. Rodimus has this giant fanny pack plate for a skirt in front with two gluteal cheek flaps in back. Makes no sense and looks ugly.

Grimlock remains the only worthwhile MP Transformer release so far.
Gcrush Wrote:
> Rodimus was such a colossal piece of crap that I
> took the time to return it. Needlessly complex
> and as cohesive as a Jenga tower, easily not worth
> the $50 I paid for it. Even the Targetmaster dood
> was a hot, floppy mess.
>
> I was really perplexed by: The utter weakness of
> the torso halves and their inability to stay
> connected. The fact that the arms cannot move
> laterally when positioned in front of the robot.
> And how the butt and crotch armor seems to be
> reversed. Rodimus has this giant fanny pack plate
> for a skirt in front with two gluteal cheek flaps
> in back. Makes no sense and looks ugly.
>
> Grimlock remains the only worthwhile MP
> Transformer release so far.

I'm still looking for a Rodimus. I got to mess around with my friend's, and I liked it $50 much. I do agree about the shoulders, though. In motion, the pelvis plate didn't bother me too much, but I didn't have enough time to compare the front plate to the back... The hands and grip on one of my friend's were poor, but the other was rock solid. Just seems like there's a lot of inconsistency to the production on these.

For the record, I also love all three versions of the MP Seeker mold I have :3

[prometheusrising.net]
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> I'm still looking for a Rodimus. I got to mess
> around with my friend's, and I liked it $50 much.
> I do agree about the shoulders, though. In
> motion, the pelvis plate didn't bother me too
> much, but I didn't have enough time to compare the
> front plate to the back... The hands and grip on
> one of my friend's were poor, but the other was
> rock solid. Just seems like there's a lot of
> inconsistency to the production on these.

The skirts on Roddy are the exact opposite of Scopedoggy. Check it out next time. Drives me nuts.

The hand grips on the one I bought were crap, too. But, again, it's a design issue. Using two cylinders instead of a bar on the weapons handles would have been better. That, and sculpting the finger to have enough clearance to grasp them. Ha.

I think my complaints about the torso are design issues, too. The flimsy clip for securing the chest is crap. And the gravity-powered tab for holding the back in place is crap, too. Waaay over-engineered.

> For the record, I also love all three versions of
> the MP Seeker mold I have :3

Madness!
Can you flip the skirts around? As a Scopedog enthusiast that probably will annoy me now that you pointed it out. I also did notice that the hands could be sculpted better... might be room for a Shapeways solution there.

[prometheusrising.net]
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> Can you flip the skirts around? As a Scopedog
> enthusiast that probably will annoy me now that
> you pointed it out.

I looked it over before I returned it, hoping I could swivel the torso and thighs around to correct the issue. No can do. The waist joint is off-center such that you can't make it look right. That, and the shins would still be reversed. It's so damn goofy. Ugh.
Paul really likes Rodimus's amazing transforming spoiler.
[www.youtube.com]

Cybertron senshi, transform!

well at least it sounds better than an old pull string toy
Any bets on how long until "Black" Rodimus runs for around one hundred bucks? Or is this thing so limited a run that the fifteen freaks who think this is a good idea can fight over the ten they actually sell for two hunderd a pop?
Any enthusiasm I had for wanting this has died. Sorry but MPC Grimlock this ain't.

Well, just got a message from HLJ that my replacement Rodimus has shipped. After months of waiting for them to get their returns department turned around, they eventually offered to pay for me to ship my defective original back to them and that they would ship me a new one once stock came back in. IE: I'm getting the latest release of the toy, hopefully with any improvements that may have been incorporated. We'll see when it arrives.

I've been ditching most of my large-scale TF's: HA, Masterpiece, Binaltech, Leader, etc. I've kept my Grimlock, and now that I have this guy coming, it makes me hanker to get the new Prime to go with it.

More serious than thou
The Hasbro Rodimoosisusses Masterpiece-o-matics are starting to pile up at the TRUs. Countdown to clearance? At what price drop would you grab this toy?
What's different in version 2 of Rodimus Convoy:

Part 1: [www.youtube.com]
Part 2: [www.youtube.com]
Part 3: [www.youtube.com]

-Ginrai
Anonymous User

[www.youtube.com]

[www.toysdaily.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2011 12:51PM by Anavel.
if you pop Hot Rod's hand off he fits together much better in car mode

just use the buzzsaw and welding torch gimmick to move the wrist sockets so you can slide the hands off the open swivel

works great

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2012 09:57PM by VF5SS.
Attachments:
open | download - ridinginstyle.jpg (141 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer