Masterpiece Rodimus Convoy

Posted by gingaio 
I cannot wait until my Rodimus Convoy gets here. It was shipped on Friday so I assume it's getting here soon! It looks way cool:

[higekumatoytoy.blog60.fc2.com]

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2011 03:40PM by Ginrai.
Got mine yesterday. Unfortunately, I appear to hae a factory defect in one of the lower leg panels. Mine just popped right off, and I realized that the joint there was not connected properly. Unfortunately, it has no screw head, but does have a screw type connector. It looks like it was glued in place, but badly. So, seeing if HLJ can do anything for me.

Otherwise, I have to say I'm somewhat disappointed. This is much more of a Megatron than it is an Optimus or Grimlock. Lots of fiddly small parts, tight design tolerances that the actual manufacture of the toy doesn't meet up well with.

It looks and plays well in robot mode, but making it actually transform into the car or trailer modes are incredibly difficult, with tons of massaging necessary to attempt to get parts to even get close to where they ought to be. Even so, I could not get the car mode to sit with all four tires on the table, and certainly couldn't get all the panels in place where they should be. Many tabs just flat out don't peg together well, or in some places the tabs are just not big enough to hold the stress of what is supposed to be happening in those locations.

I've got very good manual dexterity, and small fiddly toys are usually not a problem for me. This one required me poring over the instructions and failing badly to follow them. I think I'm going to have to wait for some other people's online/youtube reviews to see if they managed to interpret things differently in the instruction manual.

More serious than thou
Unfortunately, further play with this guy hasn't improved my opinion. I WANT to like it. Hell, I spent $200+ bucks on it. Still, hands and weapons that could actually fit together would be nice.

The best engineered bit of this toy is actually the trailer. It's totally solid. They REALLY ought to have done two different MP toys here - one Rodimus and one Hot Rod. I think that would have mitigated many of the issues, which are all related to the necessarily complex transformation.

More serious than thou
Yeah, that seems to be the general consensus so far. Shit. Nothing like the feeling of a $200 pre-order about to be filled, and knowing that there's a good chance it'll be a crappy toy. Thanks for the kick in the nuts, Fujikuro!

(I really just need to sell all my Masterpieces.)
Actually, I do need to amend this SLIGHTLY. I played some more with it tonight. Transforming it didn't take nearly as long, and I was able to finesse some bits into place that I hadn't been able to before. This is especially true of where the arms peg in when in car mode. Also, the head in car mode should not go as in the instructions unless you want scrapes to the back of the head. There's a better way to get it in under the car, by sort of "spreading" the head out. This is part of the gimmick to swap faces. I'll try to take photos if I can. Nothing I do will get the panels on the side of the legs to connect underneath. Youtube seems to be corroborating this in other people's reviews. They really needed to design some of the pegs very differently.

I just really wished they could have found a way to make this a more solid item. The trailer says TOY, the figure says COLLECTORS ITEM. It's as if two different teams worked on it.

More serious than thou
"Nothing like the feeling of a $200 pre-order about to be filled, and knowing that there's a good chance it'll be a crappy toy."

Why didn't you wait for the U.S. release coming later in the year? It'll of course be at a much cheaper price unless you REALLY wanted the trailer (U?S/ one won't have that, but I don't care).

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Vincent Z. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Nothing like the feeling of a $200 pre-order
> about to be filled, and knowing that there's a
> good chance it'll be a crappy toy."
>
> Why didn't you wait for the U.S. release coming
> later in the year? It'll of course be at a much
> cheaper price unless you REALLY wanted the trailer
> (U?S/ one won't have that, but I don't care).

Because it's not that I can't afford it.
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> "Nothing like the feeling of a $200 pre-order
> about to be filled, and knowing that there's a
> good chance it'll be a crappy toy."
>
> Why didn't you wait for the U.S. release coming
> later in the year? It'll of course be at a much
> cheaper price unless you REALLY wanted the trailer
> (U?S/ one won't have that, but I don't care).

Because a toy that transforms from Hot Rod to Rodimus doesn't actually transform to Rodimus with no trailer? Like I said, they ought to have made this two separate MP toys.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
gingaio Wrote:
> Vincent Z. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> > Why didn't you wait..?
>
> Because it's not that I can't afford it.

I love you, man.
>Because it's not that I can't afford it.

gingaio Wrote:
> Vincent Z. Wrote:
> > Why didn't you wait..?
>
> Because it's not that I can't afford it.

>I love you, man.

But some of us can't but still want it and the Hasbro version will be less than half the price (and I don't give a shit about the silly looking trailer). That ever enter your brains?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2011 10:15PM by Vincent Z..
Sanjeev (Admin)
Vinnie, don't ever change.
Quik men!! Git in teh trailer!
Okay, so my order went out before TF Source could cancel it. So in a few days, I'm going to get a $200 toy I don't want. I would like to take this opportunity to offer a trade of my MISB Masterpiece Rodimus (in a C-11 box, no less) for _________

Thanks!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2011 04:39AM by gingaio.
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> But some of us can't [afford it] but still want it and the
> Hasbro version will be less than half the price
> (and I don't give a shit about the silly looking
> trailer). That ever enter your brains?

You can't afford me. None of you can.

Or if you could you would realize that I'm a shitty toy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2011 09:02PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - hobos.jpg (72 KB)
I'm pretty much convinced that Prime and Grimlock were flukes in this line. None of the other releases have even approached a level of quality that I would describe as "reasonable considering the price". The stupid one-piece front panty skirt on Rodimus that just screams, "I CAN'T CROUCH WITHOUT EXPOSING MY NON-GENITALS," is just more proof of this. Seriously, didn't Gundam solve that nagging design issue back in the 70s?
Thanks, but I'll pass on the Monopoly money, G. What I've really been hankering for is a handjob from a Kodiak bear. I will trade my C-11 MISB Takara Masterpiece Rodimus for that. I'm pretty sure you know a few Kodiaks, G, so hit me up on email. Thank you.

BTW:

>But some of us can't but still want it and the Hasbro version will be less than
>half the price (and I don't give a shit about the silly looking trailer). That
>ever enter your brains?

You know what enters the brain of someone like me, VZ? Here's an abridged list:

1) How much coke am I going to snort off the back of my Daltanious Jumbo Machinder?

2) Whether I should buy two Bugatti Veyrons or take eight of my best buds to an intemperate weekend at the Moonlite BunnyRanch.

3) How many 1/2000 (yes 1/2000) Yamato SDF-1s can I cram into the trunk of my McLaren F1 (my commuter car)?

4) How many of my students can I bribe into doing research for my personal writing projects?

That ever enter your brain, Junior?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2011 09:23PM by gingaio.
Gcrush Wrote:
> I'm pretty much convinced that Prime and Grimlock
> were flukes in this line.
>
Ha--I was just thinking that. it's sad when the good ones are the exceptions to the rule.
gingaio Wrote:
> Thanks, but I'll pass on the Monopoly money, G.

I don't remember what term I used to search for that pic, but isn't it pure gold? I love how Megatron is posed in front of what is pretty clearly a bedroom closet door in an apartment. You can tell by the tie, the cheap carpeting, and the hollow laminate door. And yet he's holding five bills and a roll of twenties. It's the very definition of Internet Classy.

> What I've really been hankering for is a handjob
> from a Kodiak bear. I will trade my C-11 MISB
> Takara Masterpiece Rodimus for that. I'm pretty
> sure you know a few Kodiaks, G, so hit me up on
> email. Thank you.

I can introduce you to my ex-wife, but she was so frigid she's more of a Polar Bear than a Kodiak! Haw! Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.

> BTW:
>
> 1) How much coke am I going to snort off the back
> of my Daltanious Jumbo Machinder?

This is a trick question since there's not enough info in it to properly answer. For example, how many hookers are at the party and which one of your five Daltanious Jumbos will you be using?

> 2) Whether I should buy two Bugatti Veyrons or
> take eight of my best buds to an intemperate
> weekend at the Moonlite BunnyRanch.

We did that last week. Which was cool, but I think we're spending too much time there again. We should hit up Amsterdam on Saturday instead.

> 3) How many 1/2000 (yes 1/2000) Yamato SDF-1s can
> I cram into the trunk of my McLaren F1 (my
> commuter car)?

Again, trick question. Everyone knows your commute is done by butler in a Rolls.

> 4) How many of my students can I bribe into doing
> research for my personal writing projects?

I could answer this one if I knew the enrollment cap for the quarter.

> That ever enter your brain, Junior?

Ha! Another trick question! Seriously, are all your exams this difficult? There's no way Vince is gonna pass.
Thread with explanations/fixes for all the problems/perceived problems with MP Rodimus: [www.tfw2005.com]

Still haven't gotten mine yet, but it's supposed to be delivered today and I am pretty excited.

-Ginrai

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2011 05:52PM by Ginrai.
>Thread with explanations/fixes for all the problems/perceived problems with MP >Rodimus:

Ugh woof. Hasbro better fix some of these issues by the time of their release.

Gcrush Wrote:
> gingaio Wrote:
> -----
> > Thanks, but I'll pass on the Monopoly money, G.
>
> I don't remember what term I used to search for
> that pic, but isn't it pure gold?

Yeah, it's a great pic. For a quick second there, I thought you snapped it yourself. But then, thinking about the decor, I scribbled this syllogism on my Pokemon notepad:

1) gingaio is a grade-A baller

2) gingaio only associates with other grade-A ballers

3) gingaio associates with Gcrush

Conclusion: Gcrush can only take pics from inside a grade-A baller pads with disco balls and stripper poles....or the universe will explode due to the quantum paradox.
gingaio Wrote:
> Yeah, it's a great pic. For a quick second there,
> I thought you snapped it yourself. But then,
> thinking about the decor, I scribbled this
> syllogism on my Pokemon notepad:
>
> 1) gingaio is a grade-A baller
>
> 2) gingaio only associates with other grade-A
> ballers
>
> 3) gingaio associates with Gcrush
>
> Conclusion: Gcrush can only take pics from inside
> a grade-A baller pads with disco balls and
> stripper poles....or the universe will explode due
> to the quantum paradox.

I'm kind of embarrassed I didn't take a similar picture of my five Megatrans back before I sold them all. As I recall, I ended up using the proceeds for one of my "friends" to get her "kid" some braces. And by "friend" I mean "stripper". And by "kid" I mean "my undisclosed illegitimate child who was told by his momma that his real daddy left because he cries too much". And by "braces" I mean "braces". Kid's teeth were like ten kinds of fucked up. Would've made even the most stout Brit bawl with envy. Might have been all the meth he was given to keep him occupied while his mom and I totally didn't have sex right next to his crib which I bought him because she threatened me with a paternity suit even though we're still together on Wednesdays and who the hell can figure out what's wrong with girls named Cherry anyway?

So, the point is this - I hope it was money well spent because if he tracks me down a couple of decades later he better have some ace chompers or I'm going to demand my money back from that fucking orthodontist.
OK, seriously, a few simple remedies will make your MP Rodimus a much more satisfactory toy. 2-3 coats of clear nail polish on the gun handle pegs makes them stick in just fine. Do two coats on the leg panel pegs that are supposed to peg into the upper rear of the car mode. They will actually stay in place in that case. Lastly, make sure that you have positioned the feet in car mode just as noted in the fixes link above. All of a sudden the waist skirt lies more flush and the car can rest on all four tires AND roll with no scraping of parts. Yes, it's fiddly, but after these small fixes, and some practice transforming the figure, it really becomes a much better toy. Worth $215 bucks after shipping? Nah, but I probably would have been satisfied for about $30 less. So, it's a relatively small rip-off. But, I had been thinking of selling mine, but I'm definitely keeping it now.

More serious than thou
After looking at the pics a few hundred times, I canceled my order. I'm so stoked that they did hot rod, but I'm bummed that he just looks like hot folded mess. and that single groin panel is just killing me--I mean how ugly is that? The car mode looks really good to me though. I just can't bring myself to lay the money down for it.

I'm picking up the reissued OP, Megatron, and Grimlock and calling it a day. I know that Megatron is kind of crappy, but it's Megatron and both modes LOOK good to me, so that'll work. I can't say the same about Starscream and Hot Rod.

maybe I'll check it out if I can find a Hasbro version--but only in person.
kiriko Wrote:
> I'm picking up the reissued OP, Megatron, and
> Grimlock and calling it a day. I know that
> Megatron is kind of crappy, but it's Megatron and
> both modes LOOK good to me, so that'll work.

I had one of the Megtons before and sold it. The gun mode is too large, though that's a minor complaint in comparison to how badly the robot mode fails. Aside from generally poor proportions throughout, the damn thing cannot stand unassisted for long because of the floppy ball-joint ankles. Same for the right arm because of the weight of the scope/cannon (they should have included a alternate smaller, lighter scope to use in robot mode). The face is terribly flat and looks neither like the cartoon nor the original toy. All the various panels are weak and tend to move around at whim. And, oddly, there are no bicep swivels. It's like Takara worked backwards from the gun mode instead of the other way 'round like they did with MP Prime. It's waaay overpriced for what it is. I can't imagine anyone being satisfied with it.

The whole line is more miss than hit. Like I said above, Prime and Grimlock were the exceptions that prove the rule.
Actually, their "MP" line did include a couple Brave toys, and I have to say that the Brave Exkaiser is better than any of the MP TF toys other than Prime and Grimlock. I think that they're going to have problems with certain characters no matter what they do. If you want Megatron to look at least similar to how he did in the cartoon, then you're going to get a floppy mess. Grimlock's cartoon appearance was pretty damn close to the toy's, as was Prime's so, it's not too much of a stretch to come up with something that nails the toy and represents the cartoon character. Hot Rod's cartoon form looks only marginally like his toy in robot mode. There were all sorts of compromises necessary there. I would have just gone with doing a more complex improved version of the original toy, and skip the cartoon likeness, but I know that's not what most fans would want.

Imagine what they'd have to do to to come up with a MP Ironhide?

More serious than thou

I'm picking up the OP and Grimlock and calling it a day.
B00
Just got MP Rodimus. I have to be honest and say this thing is a mess. Parts need to be forced into place and they dont lock down, so they just swing back out. The torso on the robot mode is very floppy, and the backpack with the spoiler keeps falling down. To top it all off the arms keep wont stay on the damn thing.

Car mode looks great, but everything pops back outa place if you look at it. The space-camper mode is huge, but it's very difficult to get rodimus in there, and when you do, none of the parts line up well. Then when you take it out, there are huge paint marks all over the spoiler.

The plastic feels very cheap, alot like the plastic used on the 1/48 valkyries. It's not the hefty ABS that Grimlock is made of. Overall it was promised to be the definitive Rodimus/Hot-Rod toy. But it turned out to be a $200 waste of space. Protector is a much better toy.

> Protector is a much better toy.

Even with its flaws, I can't argue with you there. I still think that the original Hot Rod toy is by far the best of the bunch, followed by the original Rodimus. I just love the nice simplicity of the originals. For me, it's getting to be more and more that there's a maximum complexity I'm willing to deal with in my transforming robots, and the Animated/Classics level is kind of the maximum complexity I want. MP Grimlock was dead on in that.

More serious than thou
>I had one of the Megtons before and sold it.

I had one and sold one, then bought another one and sold that after I realized it was not possible to mentally turn a shitty toy into a good one, much as I love the character and the looks of the toy itself.

>I'm picking up the OP and Grimlock and calling it a day.

I just sold all my MPs except for Grimlock and called it a day. Op is well built, but its potential wobbliness with the ankles bugs me. I'm waiting for an MP Soundwave, as I'm almost kinda maybe certain that the simplicity of that design is something Takara can't screw up, even if it tried...and it will try.
B00
Protector is actually fun to play with. MP Rodimus is a complete headache, its so hard to get the parts in their proper place. The feet are really hard to get right, and the arms don't really lock inplace at all. Just getting all the parts to clear each other is a pain. I still can't get the wheels to clear the ground. Man this thing just feel way short of expectations.

It's too damn complex, period. You can get the wheels to clear the ground, but it takes a fair number of times transforming it before you learn how to do it right. It's just one of those things that you can't really describe until you actually do it once and realize how it works.

More serious than thou
I like my MP Rodimus but I took my sweet time with it transforming it to figure out how it works. It seems like it'd be pretty easy to break if you forced it and weren't taking your time and looking closely at the directions (or a video).

There's some stuff that is not obvious when you're doing it the first time, like pulling the entire metal bar assembly the backplate is on UP for robot mode (it will not latch on the back unless you do this and pulling the forks out to hold the chest to the back).

I had no problems getting the wheels all touching the ground, but again I took my sweet time and made sure the legs were done correctly.

The trick really is to extend the ankle bit ALL THE WAY until you get to the thicker peg that keeps the ratcheting joint from going any further. Also make sure to bend the knee ALL THE WAY, otherwise the tab from the shin area won't go into the peg on the thigh.

I'm positive that Optobotimus guy on youtube didn't figure out the toy and broke it in several places by forcing it and not following the directions closely. This is definitely more in the Yamato Valkyrie school of complicated transformations than the Grimlock "it's like the Diaclone but huge and more poseable" school. Sure, sometimes there are defective toys, especially on complex shit like this, but I don't see how you could break those tabs off without REALLY forcing it.

Maybe I just got a good example and other people got bum Rodimuses, but I don't think so.

The Hot Rod car and robot mode stuff is not necessary to me. I wanted a Rodimus and I like both the robot and truck mode, though it is a big complicated getting him transformed.

The robot itself is really poseable and looks great, especially in the transformed camper thing manning the turret. Love that! So glad it came with the transforming trailer! Can't hold it his guns very wall, but I might attack that with some nail polish as others have suggested.

-Ginrai

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2011 06:00PM by Ginrai.
B00
Oh yeah, I took my sweet time transforming this thing. Spent about 2 and half hours the first time around. I found a great trick for getting the wheels to clear, use the Rodimus Prime face plate and rotate the helmet as far back into the underside of the car as you can.

There are still some glaring QC issues with mine. The torso separates and the arms fall off. The left rear wheel collapses if you look at it. The Hot-Rod car canopy seems to be warped and there is no way to resolve the huge gap in it, also make it difficult to put the back pack into the proper position in bot mode. And the mess of tool marks and scratches on the top of the trailer look ugly.

If I had gotten a better one, my opinion of it would probly be higher. Lets hope the later runs are a little more solid.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2011 07:58PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - Rod_Helmet.jpg (250.4 KB)
Ginrai Wrote:
> I'm positive that Optobotimus guy on youtube
> didn't figure out the toy and broke it in several
> places by forcing it and not following the
> directions closely.

The side black panel on lower leg is indeed an issue (the one optobotimus broke). Both of panels of mine where the connection is are stressed right out of the box with no transformation or movement, one actually cracked. Fortunately, they both seem to hold in place ok, and not even loose when I move them. But looks like some wrench monkey snapped that metal pin onto those plates a bit too hard.

This Rodimus is indeed more like a Yamato Valk (with similar dose of Yamatoed goodness). But flaws aside, its a very nice bot with great poseablity. Very delicate, but I still enjoy it a lot. Ratchet ankles FTW!(...as long as the spring don't break on me like it did on some)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2011 08:10PM by mpchi.
B00, sounds like you got a bum Rodimus for sure. Can your return it?

mpchi, I'd say you should return yours as well.

Maybe I really did just get lucky and get one in nice shape.

-Ginrai
Ginrai Wrote:
> mpchi, I'd say you should return yours as well.

Nah. Returning it shipping back to Japan is gonna be costly. With the knowledge of where the weak points and stressed areas are, I managed to transform it back & forth without damage or worsening the cracked/stressed connection on those black side panels, while invested some time on other small fixes on it too (fixed the loose gun grip, floppy left wrist hinge). So its in pretty good shape as is, surprisingly. I'll say its a keeper, just a bit flawed. With the QC stories I am hearing, I wouldn't be surprised if the replacement is in worse shape than mine. My MP Megatron & Grimlock also needed some small fixes back then, so MP Rodimus's condition didn't surprise me a whole lot. But they are all pretty sturdy now, all guarding my work cubical.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2011 04:45PM by mpchi.
B00
mpchi Wrote:
> I wouldn't be surprised if the
> replacement is in worse shape than mine.

I hear ya, I would like to return mine to BBTS only if I get assurance that the new one will be better. As it is I'll tinker around with mine to see if i can fix a few flaws.

mpchi Wrote:
>all guarding my work cubical.

I think this is why I got let go, my boss hated that I brought toys to the office. Didn't matter if I did good work or not.

> I think this is why I got let go, my boss hated
> that I brought toys to the office. Didn't matter
> if I did good work or not.

You're kidding. Really?
B00
Think so, I made a bunch of new work flows for a bunch of new products. After that I think my boss was looking for any reason he could to let me go so he could bring in cheaper people to follow those work flows and make the products. I guess the Transformers were the only things he could come up with. He kept saying it was "embarrassing to see them" when they gave tours, and a bunch of other BS like "It make us look amateur", what a load. The customers don't know or care if I have TF's at my desk. I hate that guy so fuck'em.

Click here to login

footer