Masterpiece Rodimus Convoy

Posted by gingaio 
[tformers.com]

Let the griping begin.

It's cool. I would have preferred Hot Rod, but given how atrociously designed the original figure was, an update would be nice. If it's anything like Grimlock in terms of sturdiness and 'all-around toy accessibility (meaning it feels like a freaking toy),' it'll be worth a purchase.
Sanjeev (Admin)
gingaio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...If it's anything
> like Grimlock in terms of sturdiness and
> 'all-around toy accessibility (meaning it feels
> like a freaking toy),' it'll be worth a purchase.

That's precisely what I was telling Ginrai the other day. I never picked up the MP Grimlock (don't need it...perfectly happy with my G1), but all reports of it have been glowing.

If Rodimus comes out as nicely, I'm in. And, of course, if it happens to do well, we may see a matching MP Galvatron, which would be neat.

Anyway, I like how the drawings look. Very clean and sleek like the G1 animation model. And it appears that his trailer won't be integrated into the robot mode, but since there's no way they're not going to include it (like on Prime's first release), it'll likely transform into a cool gun platform/base. Ginrai was afraid they'd pull some dumb shit like keeping it all one unit (like the Titanium Rodimus).
MP Grimmy is still possibly the nicest toy I've bought in years. It would almost be impossible for this to meet Grim's standard, but you never know. Since the MP line is all over the place with scale, I have no idea how large this guy will be. I suspect, though, that he'll have to be more in scale with Grimlock. It would not surprise me if Rodimus's robot mode will be no more than about 8" tall. Grimlock's about 10" high as I remember it, so that's probably within cartoon-accuracy limits.

More serious than thou
I like how the 'fin' is longer and sleeker. It's not imperative, but I wonder if MP Rodimus will come with the matrix?

Hmmm...I wonder when this will come out in proximity to FP Protector?
[www.seibertron.com]

you got the touch

you got the poweeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

yeah!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Pics look good. The way the trailer sorta extends pretty far past the rear wheels is a little weird...but doesn't bother me much. I kinda hope the toy doesn't feature upgrade parts to turn Hot Rod into Rodimus Prime. Added complexity on a toy already this detailed may just make it a floppy mess (not to mention added cost making it a financial mess). Plus...I just don't need an MP Hot Rod toy when I have an MP Rodimus.

Potential Fortress Maximus reissue, eh??? Hmm...
Anonymous User
I'd have much preferred Hot Rod. I can see why T-T is avoiding the Autobot cars, since MP would be quite similar to the BT toys. Just seems a shame that the only large-ish updated Hot Rod is the... Kiss Play... version (which I am somewhat ashamed to admit that I own- come on, the fishing rod!).

Grims and this new MP Rodimus are alright, but they lack something that was present in the original MPs. These feel essentially like upsized versions of the original toys with more articulation- a little too much of a slavish adherence to the old toy design. I mean, c'mon, does Rodimus' trailer really have to be a box that opens up... AGAIN? Rodimus robot looks good, but you can hide a lot of car kibble under that big, honkin' trailer box. The stand that they have propping him up is also not hugely reassuring.

Eh.
Man, people are griping big time about this. Given how I feel about Grimlock, THIS is exactly what I would want to see from a MP Rodimus. I like the fact that they are upscaled versions of the old G1 toys, and not the sort of suped up versions that the other MP toys are.

More serious than thou
I love how his gun now has all these joints which appear to make it stow away.

It wasn't that hard to do a MPC Rodimus. The original toy looked like the cartoon, it just lacks any useful articulation.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Sanjeev (Admin)
Heh...that's another funny thing Ginrai and I were discussing the other day. He quoted me this jackhole:

"AW MAN!!! Idk if I should feel happy as hell or real jypped(? spelling)... As much as I love dear old Roddy, yes I like Rodimus Prime even though he killed Optimus, but this looks to be a LITERAL upscale with better articulation of the G1 figure right down to the trailer, which doesn't have many differences AT ALL.. If this is close to the same height, I'm putting him on my G1 shelf when Hasbro releases him I realize that the MP line is to be "the perfect version of the figure" but for Christ's sakes, They could have TRIED to intergrate the trailer into his TFmation.... Though, his gun looks as though it could tf on it's own, so PERHAPS they found a way you have a Hot Rodimus/Rodimus Prime figure in 1?? Bc the wing on his back looks more like Hot Rodimus's wing than RC's wing.. Just sayin.."

Classic!

Anyway, I totally agree with you, Matt. The fact that it's NOT a Hot Rod figure that you can upgrade with additional bits is great news.

And, Daniel, while I think a separate MP Hot Rod would be kinda cool because his design was tight, I just can't see it happening. He only showed up in the beginning of the movie (and, I guess when Optimus came back to life for a couple episodes and took back the Matrix!). He was always sorta destined to become Rodimus Prime.

Wow, I just sounded like a TOTAL dork. :P

Anyway, I think making an MP Hot Rod would be not all that different from making an MP Sideswipe or Sunstreaker: a sleek design, but not a particularly monumental character. And that's the thing...this series is more about the characters than anything else. That's precisely why they're so "slavish" to the original designs. I think they want to make these a blend of cartoon accuracy and faithfulness to the general design of the original toys. And in that, I think they've succeeded with this MP Rodimus design.

Let me ask you this: what would you wanna see in an MP Rodimus Prime? If the trailer isn't a big box that opens up (the way it's "supposed" to be), what would you want it to do? Wouldn't something different make it NOT Rodimus then?

All that aside, I just saw this pic:

Looks a bit like granpa now! :P I hope he looks a little more spry when he's all painted up!
Anonymous User
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Heh...that's another funny thing Ginrai and I were
> discussing the other day. He quoted me this
> jackhole:
>
> "AW MAN!!! Idk if I should feel happy as hell or
> real jypped(? spelling)... As much as I love dear
> old Roddy, yes I like Rodimus Prime even though he
> killed Optimus, but this looks to be a LITERAL
> upscale with better articulation of the G1 figure
> right down to the trailer, which doesn't have many
> differences AT ALL.. If this is close to the same
> height, I'm putting him on my G1 shelf when Hasbro
> releases him I realize that the MP line is to be
> "the perfect version of the figure" but for
> Christ's sakes, They could have TRIED to
> intergrate the trailer into his TFmation....
> Though, his gun looks as though it could tf on
> it's own, so PERHAPS they found a way you have a
> Hot Rodimus/Rodimus Prime figure in 1?? Bc the
> wing on his back looks more like Hot Rodimus's
> wing than RC's wing.. Just sayin.."
> ...
>
> And, Daniel, while I think a separate MP Hot Rod
> would be kinda cool because his design was tight,
> I just can't see it happening. He only showed up
> in the beginning of the movie (and, I guess when
> Optimus came back to life for a couple episodes
> and took back the Matrix!). He was always sorta
> destined to become Rodimus Prime.
>
> Wow, I just sounded like a TOTAL dork. :P
>

If by beginning of the movie, you mean the first 75 of 84 minutes, then yes.

No, I see your point because Rodimus was featured heavily in Season 3 up until the final 'movie' when Op returned.

I guess it comes down to personal experience. Hot Rod was emblazoned on my mind because I watched that movie until the VHS wore out. Season 3, not so much.

Moreover, Hot Rod seems to offer so many other options for MP gimmicks- fishing rod, goggles and transforming arm-guns, buzz-saw, etc. on arms. Rodimus has... the Matrix.

> Anyway, I think making an MP Hot Rod would be not
> all that different from making an MP Sideswipe or
> Sunstreaker: a sleek design, but not a
> particularly monumental character. And that's the
> thing...this series is more about the characters
> than anything else.

That's my other point- Rodimus was not a particularly good character. He was the Autobot leader, yes, but he was so bad that they actually revoked his credentials at the end of G1.

Hot Rod has been redone over and over again (Hot Shot, Exellion, various modern Hot Rod remakes in Classics, etc.) so that is why it surprised me that they whipped out the Prime version for MP. You could argue that that is reason enough to target Rodimus rather than Hot Rod, but we've never really had an upgraded version of the original Hot Rod toy.

That's precisely why they're
> so "slavish" to the original designs. I think they
> want to make these a blend of cartoon accuracy and
> faithfulness to the general design of the original
> toys. And in that, I think they've succeeded with
> this MP Rodimus design.
>
> Let me ask you this: what would you wanna see in
> an MP Rodimus Prime? If the trailer isn't a big
> box that opens up (the way it's "supposed" to be),
> what would you want it to do? Wouldn't something
> different make it NOT Rodimus then?
> ...

Yeah, ultimately, if you define MP as the end-all version of the toy blended with cartoon-accuracy, I would be asking for something that is not-Rodimus. I thought the Titanium design was not bad.

I don't recall if he used the trailer in the 3rd season (think he did). It just seems like a huge waste of modern engineering to me. Op, Meg and Starscream all were such technical feats- compared to the original toy- that they really felt like they deserved the MP designation.

Rodimus fits the bill, but he's not a particularly inspiring toy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2010 11:01AM by akum6n.
I'm happy to see Rodimus, but would've loved to see Hot Rod even more.

looking at the prototype pics, I think they could probably do a Kup figure eventually. they could maybe use the Rodimus tranformation and a jumping off point. I loved that guy in the movie, and always wanted a good toy of him.

I don't know if they'll do a Hot Rod now, but I'm going to get this one if that's what they'll give me.

galvatron would be awesome.
Galvatron or Shockwave would be particularly nice. So far, the MP line has all been "leader" types, with the only exception being repaints of a leader. Cup would be fantastic, but I think they're likely to continue with the leader theme.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
akum6n Wrote:
> Sanjeev Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > He only showed
> up
> > in the beginning of the movie...
>
> If by beginning of the movie, you mean the first
> 75 of 84 minutes, then yes.

Hahaha...I just realized how stupid my former statement was! It's funny: I think I might have watched the movie as many times as you did, because in my mind, ALL the events just sorta happen at once!

> I guess it comes down to personal experience. Hot
> Rod was emblazoned on my mind because I watched
> that movie until the VHS wore out. Season 3, not
> so much.

Absolutely. Hell, I wasn't that committed to watching the cartoon on tv after the movie either. But in my mind, I see Rodimus Prime as the "ultimate" form of the character. Like...when someone mentions Luke Skywalker, I think badass white boy dressed in all black, with a fucking cyborg hand and a gods damn lightsaber. I definitely do NOT picture whiney farmboy dildo. That's kinda how I see Hot Rod vs. Rodimus Prime.

> That's my other point- Rodimus was not a
> particularly good character. He was the Autobot
> leader, yes, but he was so bad that they actually
> revoked his credentials at the end of G1.

Heh...honestly, I think he got canned because a lot of the post-movie plots were atrocious, so the show in general was a lot less popular...and because kids just wanna see robo-John Wayne (Optimus). Hey, I did too, at the time, but I also liked Rodimus because those episodes somehow had a less polished, more weirdly apocalyptic atmosphere to them...and Rodimus being less sure about shooting first and asking questions later made him a little more interesting. But whatever; like you said, it's all personal experience and perception.

> Hot Rod has been redone over and over again (Hot
> Shot, Exellion, various modern Hot Rod remakes in
> Classics, etc.) so that is why it surprised me
> that they whipped out the Prime version for MP.
> You could argue that that is reason enough to
> target Rodimus rather than Hot Rod, but we've
> never really had an upgraded version of the
> original Hot Rod toy.

Huh...I never thought of that. I'm only vaguely aware of Exellion (beats me what show he's from) and the other Hot Shot clones. If he's really that popular, then maybe it *would* make sense to make an MP out of him. But again, folks may just see Rodimus as the "ultimate Hot Rod", among a whole host of other incarnations of him...

> Yeah, ultimately, if you define MP as the end-all
> version of the toy blended with cartoon-accuracy,
> I would be asking for something that is
> not-Rodimus. I thought the Titanium design was
> not bad.

See, I picked up the Titanium, too. I thought it was okay, but the trailer becoming his legs just never sat right with me. He just seemed...like any other TF...while, to be the "leader", you have to have some kind of trailer-thing that becomes a base or dope set of armor.

> I don't recall if he used the trailer in the 3rd
> season (think he did). It just seems like a huge
> waste of modern engineering to me. Op, Meg and
> Starscream all were such technical feats- compared
> to the original toy- that they really felt like
> they deserved the MP designation.
>
> Rodimus fits the bill, but he's not a particularly
> inspiring toy.

Well, that's kinda true...but couldn't you sorta say the same thing about Grimlock? I mean, he's "just" a robot that turns into a t-rex.

MP Prime is pretty damn amazing...even if the truck doesn't match any real world design like the original toy did. As for Megatron, I handled one once...never again will I repeat that mistake. Damn thing nearly flopped over and smashed itself on the floor. I know--the Microchange/G1 was just as spindly...but the weight distribution wasn't so fucking hazardous! And MP Starscream...eh...not a fun toy experience either.

Grimlock's supposed to be great, so if Rodimus--as simple as he may be--is at least as good, I'll be happy.

I think Kup would be a fun character to see in the MP line, but yeah...unlikely. The good news is that Galvatron is probably on tap. Shockwave would be great. Cyclonus? Soundwave? Ironhide...he could definitely use the upgrade from his G1 form! I'd love some Insecticons, too...
I think MP Rodimus looks totally awesome. I'm really glad it's NOT Hot Rod and I'm really glad it does have the trailer and really glad that it still turns into a gun platform. The added details, the much improved robot mode figure, and the clearly more complicated transformation excite me. Check out the back of Rodimus' legs? Where do those pipe things come from? The side of the car mode. This is NOT just an upscaled G1 Rodimus.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
The MP Rodimus is actually both Hot Rod and Rodimus through some amazing Studio Half Eye magic.
Anonymous User
VF5SS Wrote:
> The MP Rodimus is actually both Hot Rod and
> Rodimus through some amazing Studio Half Eye
> magic.

Yeah, holy crap. That is amazing.

I was going to say that something was off about the head design, which seemed a little narrow for RP. People have also pointed out that RP's gun is Hot Rod's two guns merged together.

I think... I think I have to buy this. Just so I can sing 'The Touch' while changing them between forms.
Sanjeev (Admin)
VF5SS Wrote:
> The MP Rodimus is actually both Hot Rod and
> Rodimus through some amazing Studio Half Eye
> magic.

Source? I have no reason to disbelieve you, of course, but I'd like more evidence/confirmation.

This may actually be a deal-breaker for me. I mean, it's great that folks like Daniel and kiriko will get their MP Hot Rod...but I'm guessing that if the toy contains "amazing Studio Half Eye magic", it'll be floppy, delicate mess. And that's something I want absolutely no part of. :/
oh whine whine you hate everything that takes more than two seconds to transform
Sanjeev (Admin)
Hahaha...if it takes you more than two seconds to transform, it'll likely take me two hours! ;)

Nah, but you know what I'm saying: just like when we filmed that last SAR...just moving some of those modern Valk toys from one side of the table to the other would cause bits to pop off...or you'd need a minute to position the limbs JUST right to get the damn thing to stand on its own.

You've gotta REALLY love a character or toy design to put up with that. There's just too many other great toys out there for me to spend my money on. Obviously, all we can do now is hope the execution on Rodimus is super-solid.
I'm pretty sure it's just Rodimus and not Hot Rod that combines with the trailer to make Rodimus or something. Plus really was there really any major difference between the look of Hot Rod and Rodimus Prime besides size and the guns in robot mode? But who knows, if there was a Hot Rod mode I'd think they would show it. My only reservation is the articulated fingers, sure they look great but they tend not to grip things like guns tight enough and it looks like Rodimus will come with his large rifle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2010 11:44AM by chen.
Maybe Rodimus has a Hot Rod face (some Masterpieces have alternate faces, like Starscream) and MAYBE an alternate chest you can plug in, but I don't see any evidence there's a whole Hot Rod car hidden in there. I'm betting it's just a Hot Rod face if it's anything, but we'll see I guess. No real evidence either way.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
chen Wrote:
> ...My only reservation is
> the articulated fingers, sure they look great but
> they tend not to grip things like guns tight
> enough and it looks like Rodimus will come with
> his large rifle.

I agree with that. That's the one real flaw that stuck out at me with the prototype pics. They kinda remind me of the Yamato 1/48 VF-1 hands...
The current rumor is that MP Rodimus transforms into a very complete "cab/car" portion that docks into the trailer part. Honestly at that point just give it an engine that sticks out and you have both.

What we do know so far is that Rodimus has four sets of wheels and exhaust pipes on his arms and legs. And he totally has two different car hoods between robot and vehicle. Also Rodimus's gun is just Hot Rod's two guns combined into one.

Now let's be honest, neither G1 toy for Hot Rod or Rodimus was particularly complex. One was a simple TF car (even by Diaclone standards) while the other was a half car with legs. The proportions of the cab part on the MP are a lot sleeker than the old toy, and there's clearly more going on with the transformation than the old toy so I'm holding out hope for a real dual model. At the very least the cab should be more of a car than the old toy. Enough to call it a hot rod :3
Anonymous User
For the un-educated, whats the difference between hot rod and rodimus prime?
Anonymous User
Anavel Wrote:
> For the un-educated, whats the difference between
> hot rod and rodimus prime?

The short answer is that Hot Rod is a supercar; Rodimus Prime is some sort of super-truck with a trailer that looks kind of like the former. Hot Rod 'evolved' into Rodimus Prime when he received the Matrix. His body design also changed somewhat in robot mode- essentially, he now has an 'old man' face. Maybe he's a little taller, too.

I didn't realize that Hot Rod was based on an actual supercar (albeit, not a very successful one):

[www.dome.co.jp]

Man, the things I would do...
akum6n Wrote:
> I didn't realize that Hot Rod was based on an
> actual supercar (albeit, not a very successful
> one):
>
> [www.dome.co.jp]
>
>
> Man, the things I would do...

That looks exactly like the more recent Classics version. The G1 version doesn't really resemble that at all.
Anonymous User
Scopedog Wrote:
> That looks exactly like the more recent Classics
> version. The G1 version doesn't really resemble
> that at all.

Doh, you're right. The Classics version was modeled on the Dome Zero, not G1. Must be the two car models fusing in my mind.
I think a lot of the rumors about the dual modes is because there looks like there are two hoods. I'm thinking that one hood is for vehicle mode while the other is for robot mode with the hole and collar for the neck and head. Kinda like the SOC Daimos where the vehicle cab part folds into the body so the more Anime accurate cab/head part can be used.
akum6n Wrote:
> Scopedog Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> ...
> > That looks exactly like the more recent
> Classics
> > version. The G1 version doesn't really
> resemble
> > that at all.
>
> Doh, you're right. The Classics version was
> modeled on the Dome Zero, not G1. Must be the two
> car models fusing in my mind.

It looks like a Stratos and a Countach fused together. Which were both diaclone toys, of course, adding to the confusion.
chen Wrote:
> My only reservation is
> the articulated fingers, sure they look great but
> they tend not to grip things like guns tight
> enough and it looks like Rodimus will come with
> his large rifle.

Agreed. The last toy I got with articulated fingers was unicron...which he uses them for nothing else then crushing planets. Rodimus, on the other hand (NPI), doesn't really need fingers that bend in two places...unless there is a matrix. Plus, his hands are so dainty compared to Grimlock and Prime. I hope it comes with some close fist or gun holding hands too. Besides, Rodimus kicked Galvatron's tail across the galaxy with his bare-hands.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2010 06:23PM by RedAleseides.
I think the hand design is a dead giveaway that a Matrix accessory is part of the package...whether it lights up or not, that's the only question I have.
[jizaitoys.seesaa.net]

Jizai toys makes his best guess.
Derailed... my god do I want one of these:

More serious than thou
Hope they add a sound chip, I can almost hear him now...

"Historiaaaaaaa!"

Good times...good times.

-Adam
[tformers.com]

Looking good. Looks to be about Grimlock's height. More info should be disbursed in the next week or so, so we can all stop wondering if he's going to have an additional transformation into Hot Rod.

Personally, I'd love for them to just keep it simple without the additional character-change gimmick. Hell, I'd even buy a dedicated Hot Rod Masterpiece on top of this one if they produced it.
Anonymous User
Sanjeev (Admin)
Damn!
that's awesome

two toys in one
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer