[CUSTOM] not-Hasbro

Posted by RedAleseides 
I really don't like the truck mode for Masterpiece Prime, but I'd buy one of these anyway if they really did put out the blue Powered Convoy-looking cab.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I forget if this was already mentioned before, but
> do these midsized Prime/Magnus toys have the same
> percentage of diecast as the originals? And while
> pics are good, let's see some reviews! Knowledge
> me, man!
>
> I'm honestly not THAT interested in the Prime
> sculpt, but I wanna know what their general
> quality is like 'cause I may pick up one of their
> conehead seekers...
>
> Oh, and not to piss in anyone's Cheerio's, but
> doesn't the MP-10 sorta obsolete the Faith
> Leader??? I dug the MP-01 sculpt, but the thought
> of a Prime that actually transformed into the
> "right" truck--and at the same scale as the other
> MP's--just sounds too good.

Unfortunately there's no metal in any of the mini Primes and I doubt there will be any in the Coneheads either. Honestly these things are overpriced for what you get, sure there pretty much miniature versions of MP Prime but at over $100+ a pop your mostly paying for having a smaller Prime that looks better with Grimlock and the Seekers but unfortunately not with Rodimus which would tower over Prime. These are really $50 dollar toys with a $50+ premium so it depends just how much you love the character and how much you want a smaller more in-scale Prime. The quality is decent and the engineering is sound since it was basically done by Takara but you can tell that the plastic quality isn't as high as say MP Grimlock which is a shame but also understandable since these are pretty much high-end, low production knock-offs. For me it was easy since I already own four MP versions and Prime is my favorite Transformer but for someone else it might not be worth it. Also the Cartoon heads for Prime and Magnus came with Ultra Magnus. But I am probably gonna get the Coneheads too since iGear says it has changed factories with plastic quality taking a step upwards.

As for MP-10 we have no idea what size it is or even what it looks like, all we are hearing is that it will have a "more Japanese appearance" whatever that means. Also with a list price of 22,000YEN your looking at a almost $250U.S toy
so even if it comes with a trailer it better be at least two steps above MP-01 or for me it won't be worth it.

Here's a couple excellent reviews by Gold from robotjapan.

Optimus Prime
[robotjapan.proboards.com]

Ultra Magnus
[robotjapan.proboards.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2011 05:03PM by chen.
B00
From photos I saw of the Sun Storm MP Seeker, he at least retains his die-cast parts. Not sure about the others.

As for MP-10 "More Japanese appearance" probly means a change in the proportions, larger upper body, smaller head, that sorta thing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2011 05:05PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - SunStorm_Igear.jpg (86.1 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Thanks for the info!

I didn't even realize the coneheads weren't out yet. Soon though. I think I'll wait til reviews come out first...but I'm feeling pretty positive about getting at least one (I've always loved Dirge's colors).

Gotta love iGear's ringer, though. :P
B00
I hope the production colors on Dirge stay the same, the color on the Proto-type are fantastic!

Thrust is looking mighty tempting too.

I'm probly gonna pass on Ram-Jet. Need to keep spending down, I'm making half the $'s I use too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2011 02:36PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - Dirge.jpg (79.7 KB)
open | download - Trust.jpg (94.3 KB)
open | download - Ram_jerk.jpg (84.6 KB)
They look fantastic, but I can't see purchasing these. I just got done selling off my MP Starscream and Skywarp.

More serious than thou
B00
Look like their Sun Storm wont have hip kibble either.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2011 04:49PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - Sun_Storm_2.jpg (73.7 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
B00 Wrote:
> Look like they Sun Storm wont have hip kibble
> either...

Oh shit! I didn't even notice, but I guess they're integrating all the hip kibble with the lower legs on *all* their models:
[www.igeartoys.com]

I think it looks much better that way...
B00
Kinda wish they would make that model as an un-assembled kit. Could be a lot of fun.

It should also help with stability which is a huge issue with the Seekers, but are you sure there's gonna be metal in these? From all the prototype pictures it looks like these will be all plastic not to mention the cost of making metal molds and manufacturing metal parts. But then again I'm sure they can use the same diecast parts for at least the 6-7 Seekers they plan on releasing so they could amortize the cost.
B00
The shiny area in the sunstorm pic could be chrome plastic, or polished metal. It's hard to tell really.

I don't think diecasting metal costs much more than injection-molding ABS. Both require similarly-expensive heavy steel dies. Of course, the actual material cost is vastly different...but if there isn't much metal in the seekers to begin with, it may not be a big deal...
Looks like there's gonna be a blue version too, at first I thought it was Thundercracker and was gonna pass since I have the MP version but if it keeps the blue/white color scheme I might have to get this too. But holy, I already own six MP Seekers plus the upcoming Coneheads plus at least two more color variants and I'm gonna be drowning in Decepticon jets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2011 05:08PM by chen.
Attachments:
open | download - 240588_201010373274289_100000959844909_516222_6540202_o.jpg (141.8 KB)
B00
The frame in the upper body is the only part I'd be concerned with. I could see a plastic frame getting worn down quickly.

chen Wrote:
> Looks like there's gonna be a blue version too.

Max Jenus TV color scheme?!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2011 05:09PM by B00.
My main concern is just QC, the "official" Seekers are pretty complex and even then I've noticed stress marks and paint chips so I'm hoping these "knockoffs" are pretty well made.
B00
Yeah, all my Hasbro/Taka-tomy seekers have broke open the joint casing on the wing-flipy-over-things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2011 05:16PM by chen.
B00 Wrote:
> The frame in the upper body is the only part I'd
> be concerned with. I could see a plastic frame
> getting worn down quickly.
>
> chen Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Looks like there's gonna be a blue version too.
>
> Max Jenus TV color scheme?!!

Could be lol, but there's even talk of a lime green and purple one of the Seekers that showed up in the first episode for like five seconds. If iGear can milk the Prime mold can you imagine what they can do with the Seeker mold lol.
B00
From the sounds of it, they're going for a Rain-makers team.

Yeah, that's right that Acid-Stom guy and the 2 others. There were so many background seekers it's easy to get them mixed up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2011 05:42PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - Sun_Storm_Cell_phone_Hand.jpg (64.3 KB)
So I'll bit. How many seekers are there?
One for each animation and comic color model error, besides the originals.
Yup if you include the Dreamwave and IDW stories there are tons of different Seekers, their like the red shirts in Star trek pure canon fodder. But at least iGear or the actual company that's producing these is improving on the design of the original and it's not a straight up copy. It seems to get the tailfins to work on the legs there on some kind of bar system that you compress so the toy can stand up, pretty smart although I'm not to keen of the that bar sticking out next to the knees but it's a easy tradeoff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2011 06:30AM by chen.
Fansproject's first Insecticon is now up for preorder. The $48 price tag is to be expected I suppose, but I was hoping for a bit less. Interesting thing that I had forgot about these is that FP has updated the hands on these figures to be more in line with the current "Classics" open, but still able to grip the standard peg hands:

This is a no-brainer purchase for me. I wish we had color pics though.

More serious than thou
B00
I love their style, you can see so much personality in this design.

Really wish I had the funds for this and the other two Causality figures that were just released, but with them being only slight remolds (albeit nice looking ones) I have to place my money on this one.

More serious than thou
mcfitch (Admin)
Any more info on this guy? What's it's alt mode?
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
B00
mcfitch Wrote:
> Any more info on this guy? What's it's alt mode?
> -Mason

Ninja space bug

I don't know, dudes. I'd rather Fansproject move back in the direction it was going in with Munitioner/Explorer. Like Mr. Crush said back on p. 7, these Insecticons don't really feel like Gee-wun at all. Too mech'ed out, too busy, just like FP's Springer.
I must say I don't particularly like the short-but-wide body proportions of all these toys. I'm not asking for all-leg-and-feet (and little else) designs, but some more variations in body format would be welcome - humans are also not all chubby.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I want like hell to love this thing...and when they release final full-color images, I may end up throwing down, but gingaio pretty much nailed my feelings on it. It's dope, in and of itself, but I'm greedy: I want dope AND Geewun. And this sorta misses the intangibles I loved about the original toys.
B00
Just got my Perfect effects scouting party set. It's so damn smooth. All the little weapons and guns all combine together for camera mode. They're no little bits to keep up with! Fun little set.

A company that made Studio Ox-styled TFs.

A Soundwave and Insecticons that looked like this:

Or Predacons that looked like this:

Svelte = sexy. I mean, if you're going to go for a mech'ed-out, sharp-angled look, then at least do it right. No need to fatten up the robutts--that's goofy Pat Lee stylings right there.

And I don't mean Kawamori-hip-kibbled-what-the-hell-is-this svelte. I mean Gee-wun svelte.

One thing I like about those iGear seekers is that the company actually went back to the prototype design, keeping the tailfins attached to the lower legs. Nice move.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2011 05:33PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - 1.jpg (162.7 KB)
open | download - 2.jpg (94.8 KB)
open | download - 3.jpg (158.6 KB)
open | download - 4.jpg (142.6 KB)
mcfitch (Admin)
I quite like that little guy. I'll agree with the Sanj that I'd like to see final color images before ordering though. I'm totally digging the squat feeling of the designs though.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Two of the three G1 Insecticons were pretty squat overall. I would have preferred to see FP do Kickback with a slimmer build, but it's still pretty good. These are meant to fit in with the Classics toys, and they fit in perfectly. The other Classics toys for the most part just pay homage to the original G1 characters, just as these do. Guess I'm just not catching what the complaints might be here. It's not like the Insecticons were Beast Wars toys. They WERE mechanical insects and all...

More serious than thou
fujikuro Wrote:
> Guess I'm just not catching what the
> complaints might be here.

I don't like the awful diamond pattern used for detailing on some parts. It looks cheap. And the heads on the figures do not resemble their G1 ancestors enough for my tastes. But, you're right - they'd fit pretty good with Classics stuff.

I just wish they looked more Diaclone than Classics. Like MP Grimlock - probably my all around favorite TFormer at the moment.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> I want like hell to love this thing...and when
> they release final full-color images, I may end up
> throwing down, but gingaio pretty much nailed my
> feelings on it. It's dope, in and of itself, but
> I'm greedy: I want dope AND Geewun. And this sorta
> misses the intangibles I loved about the original
> toys.

I agree I can't even tell which Insecticon it's suppose to be, it has the face kinda like Bombshell with the mouthgaurd but an insect mode like Shrapnel. As is it's a nice figure but for me to be Shrapnel it needs the two pincer things on each side of the head. If anything it reminds me of less a updated Insecticon and more influenced by the Dreamwave War Within series, hopefully it will retain the classic black/gold/purple look of the G1 toys to add more connection.
so iGear is directly bootlegging the MP Jet toys

and they don't get in trouble how?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer