[CUSTOM] not-Hasbro

Posted by RedAleseides 
Sanjeev
Incidentally, the last Glacialbots arrived last week...but so did a Clover Super Combination DX Gattai Gundam.

Yeah, that's a pretty damn sweet looking toy there. I was unaware that the Cubex Huffer was already out. Usually BBTS is near the head of the pack on these things.

More serious than thou
I still dig on Cubex Huffer. But X-transbutts Stacks is somewhat less thrilling. It's not a bad toy, but the chrome overload and hollow chest suck. The chrome means the joints are too thick in some places and don't hold any friction in others. And the hollow chest is just lazy. They could have made the hip tanks fold up in there without any problems. I do wish they'd have given Stacks a place to stow the guns, too...

I picked up the Not-iGear Not-Sharkticon set. (Which company made these again?) They're short, fat, round, cute, and almost exactly what I wanted. Though, again, I wish they'd have done a few things different. Swiveling forearms would have been aces for both rowbutt and sharkbutt modes. Adding a ball joint at the base of the skinny shark arms, too. And, of course, a proper place to stow their guns (though you can stash them loosely in the shark mouth.) By contrast the iGear Not-Sharkticons have a medially compressed shark mode and grossly hollow rowbutt legs. Anyway, for about $25 a piece the set is good. I highly recommend it.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Huh...this upgrade set from MakeToys sure seems to improve the YotS Omega Supreme quite a bit:
[www.bigbadtoystore.com]

And it was already seemed like a great toy to begin with.

Where's Marvin???
Sanjeev
Huh...this upgrade set from MakeToys sure seems to improve the YotS Omega Supreme quite a bit:
[www.bigbadtoystore.com]

And it was already seemed like a great toy to begin with.

Where's Marvin???

Ugh, I hate you Sanjeev, I just whittled down my 3rd party buying and now have a YotS Omega on the way in anticipation of this release.
Sanjeev (Admin)
LOL

I aim to please! :P

For real, though, the LEDs are sweet....but I just wish the tracks formed a complete loop...
Ok I know I'm going to look stupid but which Omega Supreme is this up-grade kit for? The year of the Horse one or the $300 + dollar Planet X one? Adding $120.00 to an upgrade seems way steep. I guess unless you've already dropped $300+ for the Planet X. I still can't see why we can't get a decent updated Omega without having to take out a home loan. I just keep hoping for a Titan class, TV accurate one.

[www.bigbadtoystore.com]
Year of the snake. I didn't see that part when I saw the figure from my phone... but still DAMN!
I figured Sanjeev would have seen this before me especially since my post was moved. What I can't tell is how all this works together going from a train set to a battle base station. I just keep having this feeling that this will all be for naught. I will do it for a cool Omega but I still think Hasbro will make a titan class version for $130.00. Even if he is 20" tall he could still be smaller than Metroplex and as long as he doesn't have to move or the movements are greatly refined... see won't break. It would be gold.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I just want tracks that actually form a damn loop! I feel like that's not too much to ask for! :P
These unlicensed Sixguns for the new Metroplex are pretty cool-looking:

[www.bigbadtoystore.com]

[www.bigbadtoystore.com]

[www.bigbadtoystore.com]

This Six Sigma one looks wayyyyy better than the TFC one to me. So not down with the big Popeye arms. I guess the black arms one is meant to be for the US toy and the red arms one is meant to be for the Japanese toy? The blue dot on the red arms one's chest matches the blue dot on the Japanese Metroplex's chest and the red dot on the black arms one matches the red dot on the US Metroplex's chest. But I kind of feel like the red arms one looks better overall? If you are curious, he had red arms in the '80s cartoon:

It seems like the black arms one has a darker maroon color and is less red, which fits the '80s toy, though. I'm pretty sure I want the Before and After Sixgun, but I don't know which color to get.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Y'know...after looking at the pics for a bit, I'm actually gonna say I prefer the TFC set better!

I actually like the weird proportions on the robot: sure, he's got huge forearms and fists, but he's also got a wee head, a barrel of a chest, chunky lower legs, and a tiny waist. It's actually quite a bit more visually interesting to me than the Before & After robot, which just looks like a generic modern Japanese mecha from some video game. I feel that the proportions on the TFC robot complement the weird-ish proportions on Metroplex (which does NOT feel like a generic Japanese mecha).

Plus I like that the TFC one transforms into a gun that matches Metroplex's existing ones (IF you like that design in the first place). And I also appreciate all the other little bits to form more handguns and shoulder antennae for Metroplex...
I think the Before and After one matches Metroplex's proportions pretty well with the super skinny waist and shit. I mean, Sixgun always looked like a pretty generic Japanese robot except he is made of six different guns... making him look like goofy Popeye robot is not doing what I want, which is giving me a modernized Sixgun that goes with the new Metroplex, if that makes any sense?

It's also dumb that TFC turns into five guns instead of six. His name is SIXGUN. I appreciate that the Before and After one uses neo Metroplex's actual shoulder guns on his arms the way the original Sixshot used Metroplex's shoulder guns for his arms. Also the Before and After one's legs still turn into in scale guns for Metroplex to hold designed to look like the '80s guns... I don't need another one of neo Metroplex's guns. I have two of them already. I also don't think the new shoulder guns the TFC one comes with look very good. They seem too small and skinny on Metroplex's shoulders compared with how big the original ones do on the original Metroplex. I dunno. I guess I am more interested in the Before and After one because it feels more in the spirit of the original toy.

But which COLOR?

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
All good points. Well, I still don't have a horse in this race either way! I'd go with red arms! :P
I think this is the first time in the history of tbdx that I have to disagree with Sanjeev. I can't get over the Popeye arms of the TFC version. Before and After red arms all the way. As mentioned before Metroplex is going tobe one of those figures that will get up graded out the ying yang. As a public service can someone keep a running tab of the Metroplex upgrades that are out there. There were the hip joints, the extra ramp, this sixgun robot and the Repo label kit. (Which I wish they didn't have so many stickers that covered the parts that already had stickers.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Heh...I'm sure we've disagreed before, but it's all good--it'd be a boring world if we all agreed on everything!

I'm not sure what upgrade stuff is out there, but I seem to recall someone making knee joints that could rotate out to the side like in the G1 toy's city-mode...
IMO, none of these address the things that I want so it may be quite easy to pass on both of these. I want a sixgun with actual guns for arms. I don't care of the gun need to be swapped or something but I want to have the possibility of them. I want a slammer that becomes a tower as well. TFC's is at least closer in that it provides the second gun, Still, I'd like someone to put out new chromed face and thighs to upgrade the US version. To me, that's a no brainer that nobody's done yet.

More serious than thou
Eh, I got the SDCC one so I have chrome face and thighs and two guns already. I'm pretty sure both of these Sixguns have proper arms with guns on them because of how Sixgun looked in the '80s cartoon, so that doesn't really bug me, but I do see the appeal of being truer to the original toy.

-Ginrai
I was referring to the knee joints when I mistakenly said "hip joints" previously. As far as a chrome face and chrome thighs. Repo label covers the chrome thighs and as far as the face is concerned just paint it with testors chrome paint. People get afraid of painting but if you shake the bottle really good where it mixes correctly then apply it thinly you wont lose any of the detail. It's not the same as the plating but in my opinion it looks better because the chrome face has a "Micronaut" feel about it that makes you loose some of the detail of the face.
I got no dog in this fight, but the TFC one looks like the opposite of the vintage Sixgun's skinny ass. Why are its forarms so big? And where do all of its parts go? I do like the thinner, skinny shoulder guns it has for Metrosexual. Those are nice.

Also, Sixgun might be the laziest Transformers name I've ever heard. (Not the stupidest though.) That's fucking Go-Bot territory. Unless there's a TF character named Truck or Car or Jet, it can't be beat.

Also, some group is making a Metrosexual replacement head.

I have yet to see this toy in person, but is it really all that awesome?
Sanjeev (Admin)
$45 for a new head...that doesn't even look all that great? Yeesh. Will it even be vac-metallized (sorry, Marvin--chrome paint sucks)?

Anyway, as for the toy, itself, I like it. Nekrodave has one and while I haven't transformed it, the robot mode definitely looks nice. My only beef is the thing everyone was afraid of at first: it's kinda wobbly. If you've got him on a flat, hard surface, you should be aiight. But we were playing with him outside on grass...and it was damn scary. Trying to get him to stand on just slightly uneven ground was harrowing.
That said, it's pretty damn sturdy. Nothing is likely to break if it falls over (off a shelf is a different story). It's nice, and probably worth the original asking price, but not more than that. Despite how big it is, it's really only fun to play with with the legends scale figures.

More serious than thou
(sorry, Marvin--chrome paint sucks)?

I plan on painting my Metroplex face as well as doing the whole weathering like I did with my Unicron which came out great. Let's say it sucks until I can show you that it can also not suck.
Is this suppose to be a masterpiece version of the go-bot CYKILL?

[www.bigbadtoystore.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
I just saw that! Kinda hilarious!

At least they're keeping the chrome of the original toy more or less intact. If there was no chrome on this toy, it'd be worthless.
Finally shipped my Pile of Loot:

Xtransbot Stacks: I got both their not Huffer and not Stacks, but opened Stacks up first. I agree with Gcrush on all points; the chrome just gets in the way of the figure feeling solid, and the gaping hole in the chest makes it really ugly if looking at it from above or even from the side. I'm really tempted to get the Cubex one now, but I already spent money on these guys, and I'm not sure I like Huffer that much.

MMC not-Predacons: Got the bull and the rhino, both legs, and opened the rhino. Very solid figure, and between this and Hexatron I really like their build quality. Not-Predaking is going to be pretty huge. Unfortunately, it's going to take forever for all of it to come out.

Somehow, despite the great reviews and getting it a couple of months ago, I have yet to open my not-Fort Max head figure yet, but that's probably next.
Why are they making an unlicensed Ultra Magnus when TakaraTomy is doing an MP Ultra Magnus already? [www.bigbadtoystore.com] IDGI.

-Ginrai
That's not Ultra Magnus, that's Citizen Stack, c'mon now.

Seriously, they probably did it before the announcement and now need to release it ASAP before the masterpiece comes out.

They don't even show the alt mode, though from the back you can see the cab is in there (although awkwardly placed). Does it still convert to a white optimus? doesn't seem like it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2014 01:54PM by fujishig.
Sanjeev (Admin)
It looks nice, I suppose...but yeah, the lack of a pic of its alt mode is a little distressing. Didn't this guy previously just do Soundwave/Blaster tapes? Seems like a big jump...

I'm more inclined to wait for the official one. In PC colors. :P
[www.tfw2005.com]

Anyone catch this? Super cool! I love the Micromasters, and especially Countdown!

More serious than thou
Citizen Stack's vehicle mode pictures are out. He does look pretty cool, but I doubt the cab does anything and with the MP coming soon, I'm not biting.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Agreed. And like I mentioned before, if you were just recently making bootleg tapes, jumping to something nigh-Masterpiece level in complexity isn't exactly confidence-inspiring.
MSW
Peaugh reviews Citizen Stack:
[www.youtube.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Interesting. Not terrible. The build quality doesn't seem bad at all, given the complexity. Some of the basic design choices are pretty fucking weird though. Either way, it just seems like a monumentally bad move to release this toy with an official MP right around the corner. I guess KFC started designing this thing and were far enough along in process that they couldn't just punt when the MP was announced...
Oh man...

Scoria Review

OK, this just got me to cancel my Acid Rain pre-order. I KNOW I'll be playing with this guy more. Listen to those clicks!

More serious than thou
fujikuro
Oh man...

Scoria Review

OK, this just got me to cancel my Acid Rain pre-order. I KNOW I'll be playing with this guy more. Listen to those clicks!

They just solicited their not-Swoop. Red or Blue??? Argh!
Sanjeev (Admin)
I just saw that as well! I'm SORELY tempted!

Blue for me...
Hmmm. Swoop's not a high-priority for me. Slag and Sludge are the most-wanted outside of Grimlock. I think if Swoop was closer to $150 given the size compared to the others, I'd be tempted.

More serious than thou

Hmm, Diaclone recolor of Citizen Stack called Powered Stack.

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
Wow, I hadn't realized how fugly Stack's face is. Well, the colors are obviously tempting for me! But I'd likely wait for a repaint of the official MP Magnus (I'm guessing it'll be cheaper!).
Yeah I'm definitely waiting for official MP Ultra Magnus in Diaclone colors. Regular MP Ultra Magnus is relatively cheap at $122 on [www.anime-export.com]

-Ginrai
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer