[CUSTOM] not-Hasbro

Posted by RedAleseides 
Sanjeev (Admin)
Damn...got sidetracked with work...but the last three Glacialbots went up at around 12:15 EST today. And for a change, the FP Core site was working fine (after being down only briefly at 12). No pricing shenanigans this time around! ;)

Oh, and peaugh mentioned on TFW2005 that if these guys do well, FP will do a *bunch* more in this G1 style. Apparently they have big plans for this "Retro-Future" line...but they'll only be realized if the shit makes money!

I really hope Glacialord does well. From the discussions over at TFW, it seems like an extremely polarizing item. For all the frothing (my own included!), there's just as much vitriol...
Sanjeev
Damn...got sidetracked with work...but the last three Glacialbots went up at around 12:15 EST today. And for a change, the FP Core site was working fine (after being down only briefly at 12). No pricing shenanigans this time around! ;)

Oh, and peaugh mentioned on TFW2005 that if these guys do well, FP will do a *bunch* more in this G1 style. Apparently they have big plans for this "Retro-Future" line...but they'll only be realized if the shit makes money!

I really hope Glacialord does well. From the discussions over at TFW, it seems like an extremely polarizing item. For all the frothing (my own included!), there's just as much vitriol...

I'm not up on this like you are, so what's the beef about it? Is it just that people don't want a G1 style toy, or is it that there's some particular problem with these ones? I've got one or two nitpicks about them myself, but goofy faces and odd proportions are the norm for vintage toys, so I'm personally all right with the whole thing.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh, nah--nothing to do with the execution of this particular set. The beef is about many folks not wanting a G1-style toy. These people argue (vehemently) that it's a big step backwards in terms of engineering.

Obviously, I disagree because I see these as being *better* than most G1 toys. They will most likely have super-durable and consistent joints (which, let's face it, the G1 combiners often lacked), integrated accessories and combiner bits (again, which the G1 combiners lacked), and of course, the Headmaster gimmick (and last time I checked, there were NO G1 Headmaster combiners!). So in my mind, you DO get improved engineering...along with the nostalgic qualities of a relatively simple, sturdy combiner with the aesthetics we grew up with.

I guess I can understand the other camp's problem...but either way, it's undeniable that these DO appeal to many folks. So regardless, it makes sense for FP to take that big step backwards, as it were.

I also wonder if some of their bitterness also comes from FP's allegedly shit-tastic release schedule. Like, didn't they make the first Glacialbots available to the public before the last components of their not-Menasor?? That's a fair thing to complain about, but the beef shouldn't be directed *at* the Glacialbots project...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh damn...and right on time, Peaugh posts a review of Razorspike! You should definitely watch it from start to finish if you're into these toys (and don't mind spoilers!).

But if you don't have the 15 minutes to spare on the full video, here is a short bit that sums up EVERYTHING I'm looking for in a toy experience.
So I got my Tailclub and Fangro and they are super cool and I love them! They are definitely 100% compatible with Scramble City style combiners (they're currently the legs of my Baldigus, the recolor of '80s Bruticus). The packaging is neat with the fake wear and all. Some of the stickers come applied, but not all, and the little bubbles on cards that hold the figures in actually come pre-bent and stuff. Weird. Doesn't matter though, because of course I opened them up. The small touches of modern engineering definitely make them a little fancier than your average Scramble City bot, but they are totally in the right size range. They actually remind me a lot of the old Catilla Pretender, the sabertooth tiger that looked kind of like a yellow Battle Cat from He-Man, but opened up to have an all robot tiger inside.

Things that make them noticeably NOT from the '80s are: little spiky bits that would never pass US safety standards, today or back then, parts that I'm almost positive are breakable and you shouldn't give this to a little kid (even has a 16 and up warning on the box), and finally, the plastic is a different kind of plastic. I'm not sure what it is, exactly, but it feels I denser and less flexible. I'm sort of worried it will be brittle and break, but no problems so far. It definitely has a different finish than the '80s toys, less glossy, and even the smooth flat parts have a bit of texture to them. It also really feels designed with CAD, if that makes sense.

I still love them, though, and they really do fit in very well with the '80s toys, despite my above observations. I really dig the little Headmaster/Brainmaster combo modules, it's rad the way the entire chest area swings around to reveal the combiner post instead of using the robot's little head as a post, and I really like the way the guns and shields are integrated into the animal's bodies when they transform, so there's not a bunch of crap laying around in the alternate mode. I do have to mention that not all of the bits are used when they are combined into Glacialord (or another Scramble City combiner). But then again, when you have the entire thing, maybe you can do something with the weapons? It was really cool how when they redid Bruticus for Car Robots/Robots in Disguise as Baldigus/Ruination they modified the weapons so they could be combine into funky muli-guns. I'm hoping Glacialord does something like that, but I'm not holding my breath. Anyway, these are super neat, and I love all the retro packaging crap including the very 1984 instructions. I do think they boxes kind of feel like vintage bootleg Transformers, though, because while the box art is is in the same sort of weirdly posed style as the '80s Transformers art, it's way less detailed than the TF art was and is obviously not painted as those were. Would also be cool to see more of the '80s grid background going on... this looks more like a screen door. But I am just nitpicking. These are super rad and I can't wait for the other three.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ginrai
...I do have to mention that not all of the bits are used when they are combined into Glacialord (or another Scramble City combiner). But then again, when you have the entire thing, maybe you can do something with the weapons? It was really cool how when they redid Bruticus for Car Robots/Robots in Disguise as Baldigus/Ruination they modified the weapons so they could be combine into funky muli-guns. I'm hoping Glacialord does something like that, but I'm not holding my breath.

You may hold your breath.

;)

I heard about the plastic being different from typical G1 ABS. Kind of a bummer...but I would have a hard time believing the stuff they're using now is less tough than the old-school stuff. I've definitely encountered *stronger* modern plastic that definitely feels lighter, less dense--even hollow-ish feeling--when compared to older (or cheaper/more common) types of ABS. Either way, I'd sacrifice strength for the glossy feel of the old stuff...just for nostalgia's sake!

Anyway, I got my Tailclub and Fangro, but I haven't opened them yet. Waiting for them all to arrive! But one complaint I've heard is that there's no instructions for applying the stickers. I read that this was intentional: they apply half of the stickers (one from each pair of symmetric ones). That way, you just find where to apply a sticker by looking at where it's symmetric mate is on the toy. Yeah...I get it...but I still want instructions that look like G1 TF instructions!
It may well be tougher plastic than the old school stuff, but I am unwilling to start bending it to find out. I'm just worried I'm gonna break spikes off Tailclub's tail!

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
Are you fucking serious?

"Dear FP Core members,

We just got word from our freight carrier that due to a catastrophic event, our entire shipment of Megazero figures has been destroyed. Here's the message quoted from our carrier:

=========

"We regret to inform you that your part of the goods does not reach. You have shipped the whole amount of RF-GB03 action figures, RF-gb04 action figures and RF-GB05 figure. In your ship launch, we find a mistake, one of your product is improperly moved to another shipment container. When we tried to find the right product and during exercise lifting RF-GB05 megazero, all box RF-GB05 has breached the side of our transport ship and has been lost. The CTNS has sunk in our oceans, is not able to efficiently retrieve. Coincidently the crane operator was examining your megazero product for his own enjoyment when he was not pay attention to what he was doing and caused this mistake. [emphasis mine]

This is our mistake, we will work with you to quickly resolve this issue and provide assistance to restore your product. We are very sorry for this, and can not give more consideration to your situation. In any case we will help to ensure that your product can recover for your customers. We have notified your manufacturer dispatch of this situation by phone, they will provide more information to us today."

=========

We at FP Core are devastated and can only picture in our minds what a cruel demise Megazero has had sinking to the bottom of the ocean floor. We are working on a solution with the manufacturer to make sure that all pre-orders get fulfilled ASAP. We are informed that we will still receive the same amount of figures produced as originally intended so we can still stick with our release plans as closely as possible.

We will also be shipping out Tusker and Razorspike as they arrive. For those who have already ordered Megazero together with Tusker and Razorspike, we will ship Megazero out at our expense when he arrives at a later date.

We will keep you updated on this situation.

Thanks for your continued support!"
What. The. Fuck.

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, it sparked a dozen-page shitshow on tfw2005 this morning. Not surprisingly. I'm really coming to realize that that place has WAY more than its fair share of antisocial lunatics with netballs, mild autism, and the rage of a thousand nerds. A mod had to come in and nuke a good 10 pages worth of bitching. First world problems.

Anyway, the general consensus is that it's likely a joke......although no one is really laughing, given Fansproject's apparent history of production delays and lack of communication.

Whatever. As long as I get the fucking toy at *some* point.
Sanjeev
Yeah, it sparked a dozen-page shitshow on tfw2005 this morning. Not surprisingly. I'm really coming to realize that that place has WAY more than its fair share of antisocial lunatics with netballs, mild autism, and the rage of a thousand nerds. A mod had to come in and nuke a good 10 pages worth of bitching. First world problems.

Anyway, the general consensus is that it's likely a joke......although no one is really laughing, given Fansproject's apparent history of production delays and lack of communication.

Whatever. As long as I get the fucking toy at *some* point.

Yeah, I'm betting on it being a joke, with the toys arriving on time but with fake water damage to the packaging. It just seems in line with the whole "experiential" kind of thing they are going for with these. Personally, I'm fine with delays as long as I actually GET the toy (and don't have to wait, say, a whole extra year or something).

More serious than thou
For a moment, when I thought it was true, I also thought it was wonderfully hilarious.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, at no point did I think the story was real. Heh...why would the shipping company or dock workers *admit* that their crane operator was playing with the toys, got distracted, and accidentally dumped them into the ocean??? That's cray!

But like Matt said, I'd LOVE for them to take the joke to the natural conclusion and shortly announce that they were mysteriously able to recover the shipment with "minimal damage". And, of course, ship the figures with a faux-water damage motif on the boxes!

These will be my first FP toys, so I have no basis for complaining...but it sure takes balls for them to be pulling a stunt like this. There are most definitely a *lot* of people already heated about their fucked up release schedule...so they seem at least somewhat on thin ice with their fans as it is...
TFW2005 has always been a lot of crazies! Why are you surprised? Maybe it is a stunt? Whatever, I just want my fucking toys. :) This is my first Fansproject set of toys, but I'm pretty happy with the two I have so far.

-Ginrai
Sanjeev

These will be my first FP toys, so I have no basis for complaining...but it sure takes balls for them to be pulling a stunt like this. There are most definitely a *lot* of people already heated about their fucked up release schedule...so they seem at least somewhat on thin ice with their fans as it is...

Let's remember that FP and FPC are kind of two different groups, though definitely linked. It sounds like there are problems at both ends though.

More serious than thou
They are different groups?? Explain!

-Ginrai
To my knowledge, FPC is just a group of people who made an arrangement to import exclusive FP toys. FP itself is the manufacturer, and otherwise sells to regular online retailers. Here's the FPC "about" page: https://www.fpcore.com/about

More serious than thou
That thing you linked just said the FPCore website is the exclusive retailer of FP toys, not that they are a separate manufacturer of toys. And the boxes for the two Glacialbots I already have totally just say FansProject on them, not FansProject Core. I think you are kinda wrong here, unless I'm totally misunderstanding you here.

-Ginrai

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2013 11:04PM by Ginrai.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Matt didn't say anything about FPCore being the manufacturer...just the importer of Fansproject "exclusives". Fansproject is the actual manufacturer of all this stuff over in China.

What's odd to me is that SOME of Fansproject's toys are exclusive (like these Glacialbots) and some aren't (and thus can be found at places like BBTS). Like, what determines whether something is "exclusive" or not? Who makes that determination?

And, really, WHY? This exclusivity bullshit is more more Ashley Wood crap and designer vinyls...not fucking Transformer bootlegs.

It sure seems like FPCore isn't regarded too highly by fans...so why bother? Just pump out everything via normal outlets...
Oh, okay. Well anyway my guess is that they felt it the Retro-Future stuff had less widespread appeal than their other "modern" style stuff, so they didn't want to risk a large run and maybe a lot of retailers didn't want it

-Ginrai
Ginrai
Oh, okay. Well anyway my guess is that they felt it the Retro-Future stuff had less widespread appeal than their other "modern" style stuff, so they didn't want to risk a large run and maybe a lot of retailers didn't want it

This is a distinct possibility. And maybe they felt the same thing about Steelcore, though it's shame that they did. Seems like the link between these two instances is that in both cases FP is not recreating an old G1 toy. So, maybe that's where FP throws these over to FPC to sell as exclusives.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh, so does that mean all their straight-up original characters go to FPCore as exclusives, while the TF bootlegs go through normal channels?
Sounds like it, but we can't really know for sure.

-Ginrai
Sanjeev
Oh, so does that mean all their straight-up original characters go to FPCore as exclusives, while the TF bootlegs go through normal channels?

Well, that's the pattern so far. Generally, the ones from FPCore have sold out pretty quickly, but it could be that they view these as toys that would "shelf-warm" the regular online retailers.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Sanjeev
Well, at no point did I think the story was real. Heh...why would the shipping company or dock workers *admit* that their crane operator was playing with the toys, got distracted, and accidentally dumped them into the ocean??? That's cray!

But like Matt said, I'd LOVE for them to take the joke to the natural conclusion and shortly announce that they were mysteriously able to recover the shipment with "minimal damage". And, of course, ship the figures with a faux-water damage motif on the boxes!

Okay, for those not following the TFW thread, the joke has been revealed!!
[www.youtube.com]

And it's even BETTER than what we thought the joke would be (faux-water damage)!

Spoiler warning: for those unable/unwilling to watch internet personality, Vangelus' youtube joke reveal linked above: There was a "warehouse find" of quasi-knockoff Korean-boxed Megazero's!! Of course, this isn't true...but what it means is that Megazero will be shipping (hopefully soon--no actual word on any potential delay) in glorious Sonokong-style boxes! Fucking genius.
Oh my god, that is ridiculous! Hahahaha!

-Ginrai
Yup, it's brilliant. Still along the lines of what we thought, but a nice twist on it. Funny how much people's pants got in a bunch over this.

More serious than thou
MSW
In kind of related news; Peaugh reviews the huge final part of Fansproject not-Motormaster: [www.youtube.com]

This was the figure I was seriously thinking about picking up. And much respect for the Fansproject engineering team for pulling it off...But, I'm glad I passed on it.
MSW
In kind of related news; Peaugh reviews the huge final part of Fansproject not-Motormaster: [www.youtube.com]

This was the figure I was seriously thinking about picking up. And much respect for the Fansproject engineering team for pulling it off...But, I'm glad I passed on it.

For me, I had bought the limb figures, which I have enjoyed. However, given the other items that I am purchasing at this time or in the near future, I have cancelled my pre-order and am probably just going to sell the cars off. Glacialbots are just the higher priority!

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
I just watched the second half of peaugh's review (I was only really interested in what the combined form was like). I was pretty surprised to see how complex the toy really is! Obviously, not-Motormaster is the star of the show because he kinda IS the combined form! The head, torso, and legs, anyway.

Pretty neat toy. But, yeah, if I were going for one of these huge, hyper-complex modern gestalts, I'd probably go after the not-Predaking from MMC. But I guess it all comes down to who your favorite combiner teams were when you were little...
Were the Stunticons ANYONE's favorite combiner team?

-Ginrai
MSW
Ginrai
Were the Stunticons ANYONE's favorite combiner team?

Mine.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh snap!

And somewhere, Motormaster's drowning his sorrows in cheap beer and hookers.
Sanjeev (Admin)
And finally...the Megazero joke reveal:
[www.fpcore.com]

"Dear FP Core Members,

We just wanted to give you all an update on the progress of the Megazero disaster from a couple weeks ago. The manufacturer has informed us of a find in Korea that will help us keep our shipment schedule on track. Apparently several years after the release of the North American version of the Glacialbots, the release was made available to the Korean market.

Quoted here from a letter to our manufacturer, Korean warehouse workers that had been working with the manufacturer to hunt these down were gracious enough to allow us access to the entire inventory:

<snip>

It was in a old abandoned distribution center just a few hours outside of Busan, that they discovered there were still some of these versions stored away.

Although featured in different packaging, this version of Megazero is exactly the same as it's North American counterpart and come complete with sticker sheets, instructions and accessories.

We have put a rush on the delivery of these and what this means is that Megazero will be shipped out with Tusker and Razorspike as originally intended."

I fucking love it!

For real, big ups to Fansproject for pulling some shit like this. Not only does it go against the grain to make an "adult collectible" in a retro for-kids style (well--against the grain for robot toys), but they ain't doing it piecemeal either. The packaging motif and this kooky story about the lost shipment and Korean-packaged team member shows some real chutzpah!
Yeah, I only hope this whole thing goes over well enough for them to consider continuing the line. I don't think we need a big splashy joke like this each time, but it is a nice way to start things out.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)

(LOL....courtesy of TFW2005)

Happy New Year, guys!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2013 01:38PM by Sanjeev.
Sanjeev (Admin)
"Dear FP Core Members,

We hope that everyone had a great Christmas and that everyone is off to an excellent start in the new year! If you haven't been having such a great start, then we've got some exciting news for you that will hopefully help with lifting your spirits up! Over the holidays, just before the new year, the last 3 installments of the Glacialbots: Tusker, Megazero, and Razorspike came knocking at our door! We know that everyone has been waiting eagerly to have these bots in hand and we will begin shipping them out this week. Due to high volume, it will take us approximately up to 2 weeks to have all orders shipped out. Please bare with us as we work diligently to get them all out!

Thanks to everyone who supported this line and for the continued support of our direction with new and unique figures! For those who missed out on the first 2 Glacialbots Fangro and Tailclub, we will be announcing a second pre-order for these soon as well!"

(emphasis mine)

(WU-TANG!!)
That's good news all around!

More serious than thou
For those interested, the Cubex MP-Styled Not Huffer is a damn fine Not Transformer. It looks good (no gaps!), moves good, transforms good, and has good engineering backing it up. It's about as complicated as the average MP figure in terms of transformation. The instructions have some nice English to go along with the Chinese text. They're actually pretty nicely done. Mercifully they spent all their money on the figure itself and none on the packaging. Good choice. For the price, I'd recommend it to any fan of the MP line.

Downsides? There was a bit of sprue flash on some parts, but nothing major that couldn't be sorted out quickly. A few pegs need some floor wax / nail polish / super glue / whatever to really get them to lock in place bullet-proof-ly. And, on mine, there were a bunch of finger prints on the cab section; that area is complicated and (I would imagine) a nightmare to assemble. But... The fingerprints make the figure look played with.

In a perfect world they'd have included a G1 toy inspired battle helmet face instead of the "First Draft" second face. Still, no big loss.

For those wanting to compare this to X-Transbots Not Huffer... I can't help you. But I can compare it to X-Transbots Not Pipes (Stax). Cubex made the better MP figure, hands down. It's more robust, has no gapage in rowbutt mode, and (blasphemy!) looks better without the chrome. Cubex even modelled Huffer's gun off of the only time it was ever shown in the G1 cartoon. That's some slick shit, yo.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, I've heard Cubex's not-Huffer is pretty great. However NO toy looks better without chrome! :P

Incidentally, the last Glacialbots arrived last week...but so did a Clover Super Combination DX Gattai Gundam. So you can guess what's been getting all my attention. ;)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer