[CUSTOM] not-Hasbro

Posted by RedAleseides 
Anyone see the Omega Supreme head tank? It looks great. I hope they put a clear canopy on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2012 07:13PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - Planet X Genesis Homage to WFC Omega Supreme New Product Images Show Headmaster Tank Mode and LEDs (1)__scaled_600.jpg (65.6 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Hope not-Gears has a toyetic face. The showy face is totally fine, but my attachment was to the toy more so than his cartoon incarnation.
It will its like Brawn with the swivel head. Also got my Sideswipe and Brawn today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2012 08:29PM by chen.
Attachments:
open | download - trans.JPG (250.7 KB)
Sanjeev
Hope not-Gears has a toyetic face. The showy face is totally fine, but my attachment was to the toy more so than his cartoon incarnation.

I'm actually happy for you that this is getting made. I'm not nearly the Gears fan you are, but I can appreciate how badass the update looks.

Glad to see Beachcomber look a little less assrific than the original pics, but I'm still not crazy about the proportions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2012 11:36PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - cogz4_1353338402.jpg (50.9 KB)

I'm appreciating the larger-sized minibots. Too bad Huffer's so dinky by comparison, but loving the richer and darker toy-accurate colors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2012 11:46PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - 100_7024.jpg (134.4 KB)
Gcrush
Anyone see the Omega Supreme head tank? It looks great. I hope they put a clear canopy on it.

Yup. Been following the development of this guy closely. I keep waffling on whether to preorder from RK or not (both BBTS and TF Source are not carrying it). It's a lot of money to drop, but it'll be huge and it'll be a G1-inspired Omega 3 Spleen. That alone should be enough to convince me.
Wow, Beachcomber luck much improved! Looks like a figure I'd actually buy now, though I'd prefer a darker blue myself. The light blue is neither toy-ish nor showy.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Admittedly, that not-Spleen's looking better and better! Love the gimmickery they're investing the thing with.

gingaio

I'm actually happy for you that this is getting made. I'm not nearly the Gears fan you are, but I can appreciate how badass the update looks.

Awesome.

Okay...so...where the fuck do I order one of these???
Sanjeev
Admittedly, that not-Spleen's looking better and better! Love the gimmickery they're investing the thing with.

gingaio

Awesome.

Okay...so...where the fuck do I order one of these???

iGear, man. Just not available for preorder yet.

More serious than thou
chen
It will its like Brawn with the swivel head. Also got my Sideswipe and Brawn today.

Oh man, I have the same 1-2-3 combo of recent acquisitions and I am loving the upgraded and upscaled (but nicely in scale with each other) G1 adult collector, irresponsible toy purchase action!

Even as a long time Prime fan, I was never really all that into the trailer. But somehow the so-big-it-feels-guilty quality on the new MP is really pushing some good buttons for me. I have Sideswipe & Brawn drivin' and chillin' all over that base.

Grindrod is due in today and he will be in on that love fest as soon as he is out of the box.

Thank you
Sanjeev (Admin)
fujikuro
iGear, man. Just not available for preorder yet.

Oh. Duh. For some reason, I thought it was coming out, like, *this* month (wasn't November the original release date or something? dunno why, but November stuck out in my mind). Anyway, it's not up at all on any retail site I can find, so I was a bit confused. Oh well...

Anyway, I could do without the rotary cannon, but Shapewaysing up cool replacement guns (Tom, I'm looking at you!) should be a snap!
A pox on you guys. I had ordered and received Giant and enjoyed it, so went back and re-read this whole thread. Now I have not-Brawn and the smaller not-Perceptor on order, the tfsource-exclusives not-deluxe-insecticons, and am actually considering that not-Broadside.
I've got the Not-Broadside, as it came yesterday. It's a pretty darn big figure - maybe 9 inches tall? Heavy as well, due to the diecast in the legs. Given the cost of these third party figures, I'd say that it's a better value for sure than the toys that TFC are putting out at about the same price range. Actually, I like it a lot, once I got some reprolabel Autobot stickers onto it. Still, the best new third party toy I've played with is Grind Rod. Just a super nice solid Hasbro-like toy. Plastic is hard and smooth, with a metallic sheen. Parts are chunky, not hollow (more like a Galaxy Force/Cybertron figure in that regard), but with a nice transformation that is neither too complex nor too simple. Great size as well. Very satisfying, though I wish the head was a bit different. It's a tad TOO much like the original G1 toy - that is, kinda fugly. Still, great toy overall.

More serious than thou
iGear Swerve.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2012 06:54PM by chen.
Attachments:
open | download - 550860_495735533801770_42269463_n.jpg (26.8 KB)
Love Swerve, but I need to see color pics.

More serious than thou
It's interesting that iGear took the effort to remold Gashs's chest for Swill, but didn't do that for Steakhouse. Lame. Seriously lame.

Regarding the crappy blue used for Beachbum, I'm pretty sure it's just a way to double-dip on the G1-accurate-colors version down the line. I mean, it's not like iGear likes to exploit colorways or anything: [www.bigbadtoystore.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2012 09:47PM by gingaio.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Weird. Well, iGear's odd decisions notwithstanding, I'd be happy to snag that Swerve.
Added some stickers to my Brawn. Nice figure but pretty back heavy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2012 10:40PM by chen.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG-20121123-00100_1353727837195_n.jpg (41 KB)
I posted a big review of FansProject's Assaulter, aka. Broadside, yesterday at CollectionDX!

collectiondx.com/toy_review/warbots_assaulter

This is probably the coolest Broadside has ever been.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Prometheum5
I posted a big review of FansProject's Assaulter, aka. Broadside, yesterday at CollectionDX!

collectiondx.com/toy_review/warbots_assaulter

This is probably the coolest Broadside has ever been.

I read the review. Quite nicely done. I'll point out that I had the same problem getting the two halves of his decking to snap together, until I realized that there is a bit of a "lip" at the edge of the gray parts that go together, You can pinch the two together there between thumb and forefinger and it will snap in quite nicely. Couldn't get them to go together in any other way, but this method works well. :)

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
I...I don't understand this robot. He transforms from the SDF-1...into a Valkyrie???

Sanjeev
I...I don't understand this robot. He transforms from the SDF-1...into a Valkyrie???

And he's awesome.

More serious than thou
But is he $100 worth of awesome? That's the question. And my wallet doesn't want to know the answer.
fujishig
But is he $100 worth of awesome? That's the question. And my wallet doesn't want to know the answer.

I've spent more on less. There's a lot of toy to Assaulter, and it all feels incredibly nicely made.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Considering that some of the heftier Super Robot Chogokins come in at $60 at current exchange rates, 95 bucks seems right about in line for an 8" tall transformazoid with lots of metal content.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2012 01:41PM by asterphage.
Sanjeev (Admin)
After all we've been through, Paul...you're still comparing products of vastly different economies of scale??? :P
Can't tell if you're jovially disagreeing or sarcastically busting balls for no reason. Do you actually think this toy's pricing is out of line with bigger companies' offerings?

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Can someone list the various 3rd party not-TF that are based on G1/Cartoon TFs? I'm trying to make a list to know how fast and how bad I'll be growing broke. Basically everything that was made after the Ultra- Magnus armor upgrade.

I know about but I don't have any:

Cartoon- Arcee- Pink car- Fansproject
Cartoon- not Springer- (Warbot)- Fansproject
Cartoon- MUNITIONER (Swindle) EXPLORER (Blast off) Bruticus add on
Cartoon- (Rumble and Freenzy) Warcraft and flame blast
Cartoon-(Insecticons)-Thundershread, Stormbomb and Backfirey.
Cartoon- (Broadside)- Warbot Assaulter
? -Flameblast-Fansprojecct
?- Steel Core- Fansproject

Cartoon- (Huffer)-Igear
Cartoon-(Brawn) Mini-Warrior- Igear
Cartoon-(Cosmo) -Igear
Cartoon- MP -Jet Coneheads (All three)
Cartoon-Ironhide- Igear
Cartoon- Ratchet -Igear
Cartoon- MP Jetstorm
Cartoon-cup-head
Cartoon- MP- Starscream cape and crown (Igear)

Cartoon- Wheelie- Survivalist- ?

I know there are a lot more but I just can't remember them.
I've talked myself out of buying this for the moment, but I'm still impressed by it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2012 02:35AM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - 20121129124711.png (363.2 KB)
open | download - 20121129124933.png (391.3 KB)
open | download - 2R7M7.jpg (212.7 KB)
I believe there's quite a bit more than that.

Off the top of my head, there were two G1 Arcees by different companies (neither of which was by Fansproject), the MakeToys minibots, an upsized Powerglide by another company, garage kit-type toys of G1 Kup and G1 Scourge (by an individual who goes by the company name of "Eagle" or something), and a host of other things. Oh, and a kick-ass Unicron stand made by some random Indian clergyman.

This would be a place to start: [www.bigbadtoystore.com]

Marvin Lee
Can someone list the various 3rd party not-TF that are based on G1/Cartoon TFs? I'm trying to make a list to know how fast and how bad I'll be growing broke. Basically everything that was made after the Ultra- Magnus armor upgrade.

I know about but I don't have any:

Cartoon- Arcee- Pink car- Fansproject
Cartoon- not Springer- (Warbot)- Fansproject
Cartoon- MUNITIONER (Swindle) EXPLORER (Blast off) Bruticus add on
Cartoon- (Rumble and Freenzy) Warcraft and flame blast
Cartoon-(Insecticons)-Thundershread, Stormbomb and Backfirey.
Cartoon- (Broadside)- Warbot Assaulter
? -Flameblast-Fansprojecct
?- Steel Core- Fansproject

Cartoon- (Huffer)-Igear
Cartoon-(Brawn) Mini-Warrior- Igear
Cartoon-(Cosmo) -Igear
Cartoon- MP -Jet Coneheads (All three)
Cartoon-Ironhide- Igear
Cartoon- Ratchet -Igear
Cartoon- MP Jetstorm
Cartoon-cup-head
Cartoon- MP- Starscream cape and crown (Igear)

Cartoon- Wheelie- Survivalist- ?

I know there are a lot more but I just can't remember them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2012 02:51AM by gingaio.
Sanjeev (Admin)
asterphage
Can't tell if you're jovially disagreeing or sarcastically busting balls for no reason. Do you actually think this toy's pricing is out of line with bigger companies' offerings?

Neither!

I agree completely with your "results": Assaulter is a good value...however, I jovially disagree with your "method". I have no desire to get an Assaulter because I personally think it's fugly as all get-out....BUT at under a hundred bucks for an 8" triple-changer that weighs 50 lbs (according to Ben!), it's a solid value no matter how you slice it. Hard to argue with that.

But comparing a small, third party production to something Bandai would manufacture and market is folly. Apples and oranges.

Anyway, Marvin, I think most not-TFs (at least 80%?) are based on G1 characters...so...y'know...you've got some work to do, man! Oh, and I hear some random Indian clergyman might be working on a not-pre-G1 TF...but what do I know?
Is the 50 pounds a typo? Because that would mean a 8 inch (20 cm) tall figure weighs a whopping 20-25 kg...is it made of plutonium? :D

I'm not too impressed with it. Aircraft carrier mode replaced by Macross-like is kinda...cheap. Sure, it's an improvement over the original, but compared to some other products
MSW
thomas
Is the 50 pounds a typo?

"No, it's a hyperbole." - CAPTAIN OBVIOUS
Sanjeev (Admin)
It's a bit silly that people *really* think Ben was being serious with the whole "50 pounds" bit. I mean, I get it if you're not a native English speaker or you're just from a culture where the conventions of humor operate differently...

But otherwise...that's just sad and scary. C'mon, people.
Big bad toy store isn't going to post a lot of these Not-TF since they won't sell them to keep Hasbro happy but I figure someone has a list somewhere.

As far as the Not-Omega. I've been waiting for a New Omega Supreme forever (see any of my posts) BUT this one although looking better still has the problem the old one does and that is the per-portions of an ape. This one's legs even look smaller.(I know thinner.) I saw a prototype of the Omega animated and I thought that one was going to be "The ONE" As far as right now I'm thinking just take the old Omega and buy those leg extensions and be through with it.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, I'm kinda in the same boat (seems like many of us are). I mean, I love the original G1 Omega toy, but I sure wouldn't mind a decent update of some sort--licensed or not. Ya gotta give it up to these Project Genesis cats, though: the toy they're making sure looks faithful to how the character looks in that War for Cybertron video game. That, alone, is impressive. Of course...Omega's design in the game is kinda meh to begin with...

Marvin, what do you think about the "Platinum" Omega coming out?
[www.tfw2005.com]
[www.tfw2005.com]

Huh. Same company that was working on the MP-sized Not-Soundwave and Not-Blaster. I hope the company will still release Blaster, assuming that Takaratomy won't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2012 03:50PM by gingaio.
Sanjeev wrote:
Marvin, what do you think about the "Platinum" Omega coming out?

I kinda like it BUT I wonder if I'm just settling since no one seems to do it... cartoon right. I'm afraid that if I just give and pop for any of them then a really "right" one will be made. I remember being in TRU years ago and really wanting to buy the Unicron but I just...couldn't... do...it . because I felt that it was almost there but not right. Then several years later I got my cartoon accurate one as well as your cool stand and was glad I waited.

I still want a MP-05 and I know it sucks but I think I'll transform it once then just display it in gun mode and hope that they will FINALLY FINALLY make a good MP-Megatron. Hell Takara could just steal that great looking 3rd party one and make it MP-scale and I'd be very happy.

Same can be said for the MP Starscream when it first came out. I couldn't get past the colors then we got the Walmart MP version with the correct color scheme. The only thing I did was paint the nosecone blue like the original toy. I even liked the Sh*T stain that a lot of people complained about but it made the plane look real to me. I even like it better than the "NEW" design because after I did the after market kibble mod I was happy and the jet mode looks better than the new version. Finally I like the face grin on the old MP Starscream that the new one lacks. But I'm going off topic.

It seems like sometimes you have to wait but the 3rd market has finally created the right "Ironhide, Ratchet, Brawn, Arcee, Devistator, Bruticus, and on it's way Superion. And I feel like a 12-15" Omega is just around the corner if I just give it time. Actually I'm getting like what some of you have mentioned on this site and that is starting to just save up for the MP and high end 3rd party exclusives. Although I still like the variety and price of the Generations line.

I've picked up a few Prime and /WFC/FOC line figures but with the exception of the various Vehicon and the Arcee looking more Manga cool I'm thinking that I'm doing it out of boredom until new generation figures show up.

So I'm laying off. Just new exciting Generations (no bad repaints) and MP and 3rd party cartoon accurate TF's.

Lastly: Does the Voyeger class Inferno and Grapple match up scale wise to the MP-line? On the cartoon both of them were a little smaller than Prime and I thought as a Voyeger they might be the right scale, just like MP Grimlock seems to be in the right scale for the Generations line as far as the cartoon put it.
Marvin,

Inferno probably matches up OK, but IMO it's not a MP Inferno. It just doesn't look G1 to me. It's a great update, but I really think the best use of the mold has been with Hot Spot so far.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
All good points, Marvin. Yeah, it's sorta funny how "early adopters" get kinda punished. I bought the Armada Unicron when it first came out for full price...then they were blowing them out for like $10 a whack. Then, of course, the movie-accurate versions came out. So I re-bought. Oh well.

But at the same time, if you *don't* jump in early for certain kinds of things, you run the risk of it selling out...and there often aren't second runs for 3rd party items. So you're stuck paying jacked up secondary market prices! Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

I guess that wait-and-see attitude is the right way to go. I think I'll pass on the Platinum Omega and wait for a 3rd partyer to step up (I doubt Hasbro will make such a huge toy of a semi-obscure character).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer