[CUSTOM] not-Hasbro

Posted by RedAleseides 
Bah, Brawn and Cosmos are here - in the US. Been here in NY for a week now. Why have they not moved from there in all that time? I'd guess it must be customs or something.

Elsewise, Giant really looks nice, but one reason I ditched my FP Bruticus was what I pretty much felt was a lack of playability. The two individual bots from FP were very nice on their own and all. Lots of fun to play with. However, once you got them in a combined mode, it was basically a statue at that point. Yeah, that's kind of par for the course with combiners, but I can't really quite see it being worth it if Giant is the same way. I'm sorely tempted to try selling off a number of things in order to make it happen, though. In relation to the playability, can anyone make a comment?

More serious than thou
fujikuro
Bah, Brawn and Cosmos are here - in the US. Been here in NY for a week now. Why have they not moved from there in all that time? I'd guess it must be customs or something.

Elsewise, Giant really looks nice, but one reason I ditched my FP Bruticus was what I pretty much felt was a lack of playability. Yeah, that's kind of par for the course with combiners, but I can't really quite see it being worth it if Giant is the same way. In relation to the playability, can anyone make a comment?

I thought iGear Brawn was a reasonably good toy; the closer it gets to $30 the more reasonable it becomes. But some parts of the design and the QC bother me, especially on the shoulders. Based on my Purple Nurple Prime from iGear, I'd say this is par for the course. Cosmos, on the other hand, strikes me as needlessly overwrought; it looks like it is based on a comic book design and not the original toy or character. Which, to me, sucks. While I like the bubble over the head, the basic shape of the UFO and all the little tabs that stick out of the bottom really turn me off. The 1990s BRIGHT-BRIGHT color scheme doesn't help. I'd recommend Brawn to most people and Cosmos to no one.

Regarding FP Combaticons, I'm going to pass. For me the point would be to combine them because $60 a figure is too much on their own. And when combined, Gingy is right - for the same price as a MakeToys Green Gnat (a completely "original" design) you'd get one-third of a decently re-designed Bruticus and two-thirds of ugly junk that's just been patched up. I'd rather wait until someone releases a new Bruticus re-designed from the ground-up.

As for Green Gnat's playability... The individual bots are fantastic - durable, poseable, and full of goofy retro-design charm. The combined package is about as good as it can be. Once you appraoch a certain size threshold, the balance and material tolerances are such that the figures just get top-heavy or wobbly; GG is at the lower end of that range though. I would say it is about as playable as any of the big Unicron figures released over the last few years. GG is solid, has a few neat gimmicks, and can strike some cool poses. The arms and head and expressive, the waist turns a little bit, and the legs have satisfying detents so that it can look actiony. GG is never going to kneel, but it's definitely not a statue (or ragdoll for that matter).
So Mr. Crush helped me figure out how to properly connect the chest wing piece, and as that was my primary concern, my enjoyment the figure has increased dramatically. The more I handle it, the more I like it (once my buyer's remorse subsided), and the comparison to TT's MP figs is justified. This thing is SOLID in combined mode.

There's no diecast, unfortunately, though the thing is already so heavy combined that diecast would probably ruin the balance and stability of the piece.

As far as overall playability, Mr. Crush is right in that this Giant is about as good as you can get given the design and size of the thing. I don't have Hercules, but from what I've heard, this thing is more stable in combined mode--especially with regard to the locked joints (which are such a great idea)--than TFC's Devastator.

The weak tread attachments remain an annoyance, but grabbing the arms by the skeletal pieces helps a lot. It's a very good piece. It's not a toy like my Windcharger/Brawn/GI Joes are handcrack-begging-to-be-played-with toys, but the sheer presence alone is impressive, as is the overall execution.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2012 12:44AM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - TF Giant 3-001.jpg (114.5 KB)
open | download - TF Giant 5-001.jpg (113.7 KB)
Has this come up before? I can't be bothered to sort through 30 pages of this mess. And the "search" button is too far away to scroll to. Anyway.

I like the way these stupid Camera Turds look. Almost exactly what I would expect for an updated vintage toy.

Didn't someone pick up the 'toon colored ones? Were they any good?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2012 02:57AM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - TFG1LREFLECTOR.jpg (34.3 KB)
open | download - PE12[1].jpg (142.5 KB)
Gcrush
Has this come up before? I can't be bothered to sort through 30 pages of this mess. And the "search" button is too far away to scroll to. Anyway.

I like the way these stupid Camera Turds look. Almost exactly what I would expect for an updated vintage toy.

Didn't someone pick up the 'toon colored ones? Were they any good?

To my knowledge they aren't out yet. I had the original set, and they were fun, but I wasn't entirely satisfied. Probably because of the colors. I've got the recolored ones on preorder from Robotkingdom. The toys are solid, all the little parts can be a bit overwhelming, but they all have a place in either bot mode or combined mode. There's nothing that doesn't fit in somewhere, even the knives that mount on the back of the bots have a storage space inside the combined mode. It's very well-engineered, and (on mine at least) everything connected nicely and felt snug. Sans any possible QC problems that might come up with the new batch of these, I'd say they were worth the money. They are the best of the Perfect Effect toys that I've handled (including Frumble and the pink ninja bot).

More serious than thou
I had the Showy set, and as Fujikuro said, everything was well designed and excecuted. QC problems abound, though--I had one set with missing paint apps in several spots and had to buy another set to Frankenstein a properly painted set. Other than that, joints were smooth and transformation was easy.

The only problem was that at about 3 inches tall each, and constructed out of the materials they were, these Reflectors guys felt like vending machine toys in my hand. It was like holding cotton balls was how unsubstantial they felt. I had the G1 Reflector set as a kid and I just couldn't get over how small and cheapy feeling these guys were. So I sold them. And bought them again. And sold them again, after I realized I couldn't make myself love Reflector. It was sad. It was a Bonnie Raitt song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2012 02:45PM by gingaio.
The joys of double-, no, triple-dipping. I have to say, the Diaclone Magnus colors do look nice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2012 02:57PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - MT-02B-1_1351176365.jpg (121.1 KB)
open | download - MT-02P-1_1351176365.jpg (170.9 KB)
gingaio
The joys of double-, no, triple-dipping. I have to say, the Diaclone Magnus colors do look nice.

Yeah, these are nice looking. That said, it's still a CHUG Laser Optimus. Kinda hard to fit it into the collection... really, anywhere.

More serious than thou
My stand-in till a new MP Megatron comes out, super limited since it's 1 of 1. But pretty cheap to get, I might get the color varient once I get some color ink for my printer lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2012 07:18PM by chen.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG-20121028-00072.jpg (212.2 KB)
Ha!

Where's that artwork from? Very cool.
Just found it on the internet its actually surprisingly hard to find simple profile pictures of Megatron.
@chen: That looks like vintage artwork from one of the Japanese studios, was why I was curious. Would love to know the original source. I have an art book with a bunch of line art from Studio Ox, and it's pretty amazing to see TFs done up in a stylized anime manner.

Anyway: [www.tfw2005.com]

Score another one for Toyiness, sometimes better than Showiness.

Thing is, this one isn't just toy-accurate, it's also show-accurate....well, depending on the episode.
Devastate-uranus

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2012 01:38AM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - 695b704fgw1dxp8a3qke3j.jpg (308.9 KB)

I'm guessing pretty much everyone here hates this thing, but it still looks pretty good to me. And if it does turn out to be Hercules-sized, the price sort of makes sense (from a warped toy-collector's perspective).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2012 09:15PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - Omega 1.jpg (55.5 KB)
open | download - Omega 2.jpg (54.1 KB)
open | download - Omega 4.jpg (41.1 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, at $300, it's really not that bad, all things considered. I'm just not sure it'll end up being a better value than the Platinum one--even if it might be better, irrespective of price.
I received my Hench and UFO yesterday. (FedEx truck came at 7PM on a Saturday!?)

Hench is fan-freaking-tastic. It has a clever transformation, great playability in both modes and I like the size.

UFO is cool, but the colors are a lot more garish than I thought they'd be. They give the toy a 1-2 punch in the con column; 1 - they are way too bright and 2 - they lend a 'cheap' look to the plastic.

Thank you
Sanjeev (Admin)
Thanks for the quick run-down, Jake. Anyone know when Cogz (not-Gears) is coming out?
Jake
I received my Hench and UFO yesterday. (FedEx truck came at 7PM on a Saturday!?)

Hench is fan-freaking-tastic. It has a clever transformation, great playability in both modes and I like the size.

UFO is cool, but the colors are a lot more garish than I thought they'd be. They give the toy a 1-2 punch in the con column; 1 - they are way too bright and 2 - they lend a 'cheap' look to the plastic.

Thank you

I understand why someone else might feel that way about UFO, but for my own taste, I actually prefer him over Hench. Part of it is that though Hench has got two faces, neither of them seems all that great to me. Lack of paint apps on the faces doesn't help. Size for Hench is fantastic, though, and I really do wish they'd re-release their Not-Huffer in a larger size. They can dispense with the Seaspray toy, as it's pretty bad overall, unless they improve the legs and arms. I really like the transformation on both of these guys, though for my taste, I really like UFO's looks better sans any Reprolabel stickers. I'm sure we'll be seeing something along those lines that will add something to the look of both of these. Still, in both cases, worth the $35 shipped each. They look great next to my GDO Hot Spot. :)

More serious than thou

Another Maketoy release, the Fallen/Chaos figure looks sweet. Unfortunately I only collect MP Transformers now and this will be to small to display with them. I think it's around 7-8" tall, to bad if this thing was around 10" it would look suitibly monstrous with the MP's.

[maketoys.jp]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2012 06:05PM by chen.
Attachments:
open | download - chaos-1.JPG (116.1 KB)
Gcrush

These little jokers just arrived. Fujikuro was right. Fucking outstanding. Waaay better than I expected based on my experience with PE's Frumble. They even threw in a little 'Former-sized camera that your other figures can hold; it's rubbery like an old M.U.S.C.L.E. dink, stinks something ferocious, and has little layer lines from when it was likely printed. Not bad for a bonus though!

I can't say anything too negative about Camera Doods. There's a little spotty paint work and some leftover flash that needs trimming. But, that's about it.

In Little Johnny Gcrush's perfect dream world, these doods would have been colored exactly like the vintage toy instead of mostly like it. They would also come with their different guns. And that's it. Nothing more. They're already damn near perfect.

The conclusion to my book report on Little Camera Turds is: EVERY HOBO SHOULD BUY TWO - one for the shelf and one for the stomach.
Gcrush

These little jokers just arrived. Fujikuro was right. Fucking outstanding. Waaay better than I expected based on my experience with PE's Frumble. They even threw in a little 'Former-sized camera that your other figures can hold; it's rubbery like an old M.U.S.C.L.E. dink, stinks something ferocious, and has little layer lines from when it was likely printed. Not bad for a bonus though!

I can't say anything too negative about Camera Doods. There's a little spotty paint work and some leftover flash that needs trimming. But, that's about it.

In Little Johnny Gcrush's perfect dream world, these doods would have been colored exactly like the vintage toy instead of mostly like it. They would also come with their different guns. And that's it. Nothing more. They're already damn near perfect.

The conclusion to my book report on Little Camera Turds is: EVERY HOBO SHOULD BUY TWO - one for the shelf and one for the stomach.

Just got mine the other day as well. Same day that UFO and Hench arrived (it always winds up that way - I have a bunch of stuff pre-ordered, it all ships and all arrives on the same day). To be honest I'm a little disappointed in these in regard to the fit of the toys, in comparison to my original set. However, that's only in one area, and everything else is quite excellent. I love the new colors and chest pieces that were included. I've always been more for newer toys that replicate the original G1 figures, rather than the show, so these really hit the spot. These are the best of the PE toys I've bought. Anyone have any opinions on their Not-Arcee?

More serious than thou
How does that set compare to the TFC version of Reflector? I'm guessing the TFC version will be bigger but more expensive. I'm just want a set that would look good with MP's.

[www.facebook.com]
The TFC set is larger and probably better scaled with the MP figs, but IMO lacks some personality.

More serious than thou
chen
How does that set compare to the TFC version of Reflector? I'm guessing the TFC version will be bigger but more expensive. I'm just want a set that would look good with MP's.

[www.facebook.com]

There's nothing about the TFC Photron that appeals to me. It just looks like a high quality reinvention of an existing design. There's nothing wrong with that, but if you want something that either looks like the cartoon or the original toy, then PE has you covered. Along those lines, I think the PE Little Camera Turds look good next to most Masterpiece Figures. They're really outstanding.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, I like that the TFC one actually looks like a damn camera! :P

But, yeah, other than that, it really doesn't have much going for it...

If they get the colors right on Outback, this could be a really good figure (the G1 toy was a redeco, too). Beachcomber manages to be Showy and non-Showy at the same time--the right parts, but shaped strangely. Gears looks enormous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2012 02:32PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - Team.jpg (29.4 KB)
open | download - Beachcomber.jpg (37.6 KB)
open | download - Outback.jpg (46.4 KB)
open | download - Gears.jpg (45.6 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh man...not-Gears, you complete me. Even if I don't own you yet.
My Brawn and MP Sideswipe should be arriving this week and frankly I'm more excited about Brawn. That Gears looks sweet I just wish Huffer was the same size. It looks like their mixing the releases with series 1, 2, and 3 minibots to spread them out. I can't wait for a Windcharger which I always thought was the weakest minibot from the first series. I'm assuming Bumblebee and Cliffjumper will be one of the last made, if they get made. But its funny that the least desirable G1 toys are causing such fan frenzy now in updated form. Could it be that because the toys were the "cheap" ones they actually had greater character development compared to say Trailbreaker to make up for it?
I agree I think ill wait till the MP tapes come out if there the same size as MP Rumble and Frenzy then ill go with the PE version.
Sanjeev (Admin)
chen
Could it be that because the toys were the "cheap" ones they actually had greater character development compared to say Trailbreaker to make up for it?

I don't know if the characters with cheap toys actually got better or more character development...but I just think they sold better overall. They were affordable, so I'm guessing parents were more amenable to giving in when kids bugged them at the store. Growing up, my family couldn't afford too many toys, so I tended to latch onto what I got...hence my love for Gears. Every now and then, for my birthday or Divali, I'd get a higher-end toy like Prime or Jetfire...but mostly it was the cheapie stuff. Ultimately, I never got many middle-of-the-road characters like Trailbreaker. But I wonder how it was for other kids...
That Beachcomber doesn't look so much like Beachcomber it does Powered Buggy, the sidekick robot to the Diaclone Powered Convoy, the toy that would become Ultra Magnus:

I actually took that picture and TFwiki stole it, but whatever.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev
chen
Could it be that because the toys were the "cheap" ones they actually had greater character development compared to say Trailbreaker to make up for it?

I don't know if the characters with cheap toys actually got better or more character development...but I just think they sold better overall. They were affordable, so I'm guessing parents were more amenable to giving in when kids bugged them at the store. Growing up, my family couldn't afford too many toys, so I tended to latch onto what I got...hence my love for Gears. Every now and then, for my birthday or Divali, I'd get a higher-end toy like Prime or Jetfire...but mostly it was the cheapie stuff. Ultimately, I never got many middle-of-the-road characters like Trailbreaker. But I wonder how it was for other kids...

For me I only had a few minibots I was lucky enough to get the larger ones, although I do admit to thieving a few of the small combiners when I was desperate, bad Chris lol. But I never had a Brawn but I did latch on to the cartoon character which made me love the character. While others like Trailbreaker or Mirage had little character or personality that I could care less if I got their toy or not. Granted there were toys that were plain sweet that even the poor characterization couldn't stop me from getting one like Metroplex. Its interesting would Prime be the icon he is today if he wasn't such a a-typical "John Wayne" idolized version of the perfect leader? I don't think so.
Sanjeev (Admin)
chen
Its interesting would Prime be the icon he is today if he wasn't such a a-typical "John Wayne" idolized version of the perfect leader? I don't think so.

Most certainly not. I mean, look at how popular Bumblebee has become all because of characterization. Anyway, there's definitely a general trending between toy "quality" (in the eyes of kids) and fictional characterization...but it's not a directly proportional correlation.
The "classic toy colors" Huffer from iGear is pretty nice. The colors are fucking perfect, the articulation is reasonably updated, and the size is great. But the head is fucked up. It sits so far back from the chest that you can't turn it. I wish they'd have made it with the classic toy head to match the colors. Would have been nice if there was a place to store the guns, too. Otherwise, it's a solid toy.
Gcrush
The "classic toy colors" Huffer from iGear is pretty nice. The colors are fucking perfect, the articulation is reasonably updated, and the size is great. But the head is fucked up. It sits so far back from the chest that you can't turn it. I wish they'd have made it with the classic toy head to match the colors. Would have been nice if there was a place to store the guns, too. Otherwise, it's a solid toy.

Curse you for getting yours first! Given that this recolor was an iGear exclusive and I had no choice but to order from iGear directly, I should get mine in thrice the time it would have taken me to get it from an iGear middleman like BBTS.

But yeah, definitely another instance of toy accurate colors winning out over the brighter Showy ones. The first-version Rager has been selling for about $40 on eBay, so an easy way to make a quick buck while trading in for the better version.

The head isn't exactly easy to get to on Brawn either. Looks like it'll be less of a challenge on Gears.
Gears looks amazing, but I am sorely disappointed in Outback. Firstly, the preview pics I've seen have him with a white main color scheme, with only a tan chest area. Ugh. That ought to be tan/brown. Secondly, they're merely remolding the head, when the entire chest area is totally different on Outback. C'mon! I loved the G1 figure, and I'm just not feeling this one unless they make some changes. Beachcomber is tough as well. That just doesn't resemble him to me. In my mind Beachcomber doesn't have big shoulders and that little head, he instead has Popeye forearms, and a big old melon. Oh well that one also ought to be an easy pass.

More serious than thou
Ginrai
That Beachcomber doesn't look so much like Beachcomber it does Powered Buggy, the sidekick robot to the Diaclone Powered Convoy, the toy that would become Ultra Magnus:

I actually took that picture and TFwiki stole it, but whatever.

Whoa, dude. It really DOES look like that. The legs (and front of the vehicle mode, naturally) are dead-on.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
gingaio
Curse you for getting yours first! Given that this recolor was an iGear exclusive and I had no choice but to order from iGear directly, I should get mine in thrice the time it would have taken me to get it from an iGear middleman like BBTS.

But yeah, definitely another instance of toy accurate colors winning out over the brighter Showy ones. The first-version Rager has been selling for about $40 on eBay, so an easy way to make a quick buck while trading in for the better version.

If they get the colors right on Outback, this could be a really good figure (the G1 toy was a redeco, too). Beachcomber manages to be Showy and non-Showy at the same time--the right parts, but shaped strangely. Gears looks enormous.

The head isn't exactly easy to get to on Brawn either. Looks like it'll be less of a challenge on Gears.

The untouchable micro-head on Rager bugs me more than it should. It seems like such an obvious issue. But I'm still taken aback by the colors. Just perfect. I can't believe people pay $40 for the original though. That's amazing.

As for getting it quickly... iGear's shipping agent sucks so bad that the label was created about two weeks before any actual transit action went down. When the "package" arrived it was really just a manilla envelop with the box shoved inside. No bubble wrap or anything. And the box had been badly pressed. No damage to the figure, so that's good. But still. Pretty terrible service otherwise.

Can't say I'm excited by Steakhouse, but Gears looks good (if not huge). Beachcomber though... I don't like the mouth-face and the open shins. I think Ginrai is right about the Powerbuggy look.
So, I finally cracked open my Hench... Brawn is easily my favorite of the mini formerly-Microchange bots from the first wave of G1. I've gone through multiple over the years, but also still have my very first one that my uncle gave me when I was little right around when G2 was ramping up.

Hench's sculpt and design seem like a wonderful and very true update to the character design. I was always a fan of the door wings on the toy version, but it seems like everyone is more hardcore about showiness now, so I get why the doors stay on the back rather than the shoulders. My biggest gripe with the toy is that just about all of the joints are ball joints, and a couple of them are a bit floppy out of the box. The neck is weaker than a newborn infant's, and will require some attention.

I do have to say, though, that this little guy has one of the most delightful vehicle modes of any Transformer I've gotten recently. I was expecting it to seem more like a rescaled and more 'accurate' jeep mode, but it really feels like a 2x size up of the original vehicle sculpt, chunk and all. He might spend more time in vehicle mode than bot mode.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Color pics of the next iGear Mini-butts. Beach Comber looks revised. Gears' feet look like they'll have balance issues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2012 07:11PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - IGear Mini Warriors MW-08 Bushwhacker MW-06 Duneraker MW-05 Cogz MW-07 Image (18)__scaled_800.jpg (189.6 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer