[CUSTOM] not-Hasbro

Posted by RedAleseides 
Well, as noted above, Jin hadn't made his opinion clear before. The factory must've read his post and realized they were in the wrong.
Well, as noted above, Jin hadn't made his opinion clear before. The factory must've read his post and realized they were in the wrong.

I like Ratchet and Ironhide, but I'm still not quite clear on how they'll look with Classics stuff. I have a sneaking suspicion they'll be too big.
I think they're meant to be Masterpiece scale. It seems doubtful that they'd be appropriate for the Classics line(s).

More serious than thou
*sigh*

You're probably right.

Don't they know the big money is in bootleg Classics? Bootleg Masterpiece is a much smaller market. (I base that on an extensive survey I took among myself. 100% of respondents would prefer Classics stuff to Masterpiece.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2012 04:39PM by Heli88.
I submit that this shit's getting out of hand.

[www.tfw2005.com]
Okay, okay, but how Showy is it?

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Very Showy. The cage is lovely, but utterly pointless. Like, why couldn't the company have taken that effort and used it to make some magical attachment for Classics Ravage that makes it suck less hard? Or just redo Ravage completely?

I've had this thing for years now, and I'm baffled as to why I haven't sold it yet. It's the last Classics fig I have. It transforms into an audiocassette tape. Totally Showy. Then the cat mode...even with Reprolabels and Renderform's guns, it still looks like ass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2012 03:51PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - 100_6511.jpg (115.2 KB)
open | download - 100_6515.jpg (95.2 KB)
>
> I've had this thing for years now, and I'm baffled
> as to why I haven't sold it yet. It's the last
> Classics fig I have. It transforms into an
> audiocassette tape. Totally Showy. Then the cat
> mode...even with Reprolabels and Renderform's
> guns, it still looks like ass.

And yours doesn't even have the totally loose floppy leg like mine.

More serious than thou
I was worried that the cage toy wouldn't have a key to go with it. Saves me the fifteen bucks I would have had to fork over separately for that...whew!

Do they have a Trans-diorama-rama at Botcon? I've got an idea for which scene I'll replicate for this year's entry. (shhhh!)
Sanjeev (Admin)
They didn't even chrome the hip missiles?? Wackness.

NEEDS MORE BLING.
gingaio Wrote:
>
> I've had this thing for years now, and I'm baffled
> as to why I haven't sold it yet. It's the last
> Classics fig I have. It transforms into an
> audiocassette tape. Totally Showy. Then the cat
> mode...even with Reprolabels and Renderform's
> guns, it still looks like ass.

Huh? I think the cat mode looks fine, except that it seems to have Laserbeak's head for some reason.
The tape, though, is weird and lumpy, unlike the perfectly angular g1 toy.

-Paul Segal

If you don't want your Classics Ravage tape thingy, sell it to me!

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
asterphage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Huh? I think the cat mode looks [like it's got its ass up in the air in
> perpetual anal receptive mode], [and also] it seems to have Laserbeak's head
> for some [stupid f$&%ing] reason. The tape, [also], is weird and lumpy,
> unlike the perfectly angular g1 toy.

I apologize for modifying your post, Paul, but yes, that's exactly how I feel. The best modern iteration of a Ravage to date is the Device Label Ravage. Seriously, people, Google pic that thing and see for yourselves (the lower jaw opens and closes, FYI). It's just overall a superior toy. A lovely toy. Now why did gingaio sell it?

Yeah, teh Showy demands nothing less than teh Showy. *Sniff.*

Ginrai wrote:
>If you don't want your Classics Ravage tape thingy, sell it to me!

Seriously? In the spirit of TBDX brotherliness, I will refuse to sell it to you. Believe me, I'm doing you a favor.

Or if you want to abandon sense and get it, just PM me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2012 05:38AM by gingaio.
Sanjeev (Admin)
gingaio Wrote:
> ...Seriously, people, Google pic that thing
> and see for yourselves

Impressive.

> Now why did gingaio sell it?

'Cause 2GB of storage is laughable?

That and...

Sanjeev Wrote:
> They didn't even chrome the hip missiles??
> Wackness.
>
> NEEDS MORE BLING.
gingaio Wrote:
> > the cat mode looks [like it's got its ass up in the
> > air in perpetual anal receptive mode],

BECAUSE IT'S ABOUT TO POUNCE. Or because it's clawing the carpet.

> I apologize for modifying your post, Paul, but
> yes, that's exactly how I feel. The best modern
> iteration of a Ravage to date is the Device Label
> Ravage.

Well, yeah, it's beautiful, but it's also much more expensive. I think they're ALL good kitties.

> Yeah, teh Showy demands nothing less than teh
> Showy. *Sniff.*

GO BACK TO YOUR SHOWBOAT, SHOWY MCSHOW

-Paul Segal

Too bad its USB-stick mode looks like a backpack used on hikes.
Well, hopefully, the Yer'-Anus combiner from TFC Toys will be a tad more Showy and user-friendly in combined form than its Devastator.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2012 07:52PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - Slingshot2_1337233088.jpg (49.6 KB)
open | download - Slingshot1_1337233088.jpg (26 KB)
So... If I look on Ebay for the TFC Heracles, I can find a revised set for around $400 before shipping. But if I look for a MakeToys Yellar Gnat, or any variation in search terms, I can barely find anything. And the first set is sold-out at BBTS, TFsauce, and other places. What gives?
The yellow set was made in limited numbers.

Also, the TFC Hercules was just given a reissue.

Finally, it seems quite a few people who prefer Giant (but who didn't have any patience) are now selling their impulse Hercules buys. At least that was the recent concern in a pretty big thread over at the TF board.

Too bad I was out of the loop during the Sin Jaotome scandal. I would have loved to read all that.

Oh, yeah:

[www.tfw2005.com]

What the hell is the deal with these 3rd-party names all of a sudden?
Quoted for evidence of weirdness:

TFcon 2012 features Canada's largest dealer room for Transformers merchandise, question and answer panels and autograph sessions with many special guests including Transformers Creator Bob Budiansky, Transformers voice actor Scott McNeil and Hasbro Canada with more to be announced.

So Hasbro is against 3rd party products in the US at conventions, but Hasbro Canada has no issues with participating with a Canadian convention where the exclusive toy is such a 3rd party item?

The fuck?
Because Canada rules?

Anyway, this was overheard on the TF board:

seali_me:
Make Uranus very tight. I like em' that way.

daimchoc:
Too tight and you'll have to lube it though...

seali_me:
Nah. My Herc doesn't need lube. It needs the eraser trick.
The more I look at my sad excuse for ratchets Herc, the more I worry about the ratchets on Uranus.

The "eraser trick" is something that some people are using to tighten the joints on their Hercules. This seali_me guy is a bit oblivious, to say the least. Exchanges like these do justify the names these third-partiers are coming up with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2012 04:35PM by gingaio.
What is "the eraser trick?"

Rub an eraser on the joints and hope enough rubber comes off to tighten them?
gingaio Wrote:
> I apologize for modifying your post, Paul, but
> yes, that's exactly how I feel. The best modern
> iteration of a Ravage to date is the Device Label
> Ravage. Seriously, people, Google pic that thing
> and see for yourselves (the lower jaw opens and
> closes, FYI). It's just overall a superior toy. A
> lovely toy. Now why did gingaio sell it?

I picked up a clever knockoff of the DLRavage from Chinabay for a paltry $10. It was well worth the monies. Looking at the pics of the original DLRavage, this thing is really close - but not exact. All of the proportions are slightly off, as if someone reverse engineered the original by looking at it instead of scanning or measuring it. Strange. But they had the good sense to improve a few things, like making the lower limbs solid instead of hollow and using screws instead of rivets. Cool.

Could the original DLRavage bend at the neck to look up or down? On the copy it seems like they simplified a point of articulation, but I'm not entirely sure...
There's that pivot joint near the neck that's required for transformation, but I don't recall a separate joint closer to the head that allows for head movement.
gingaio Wrote:
> There's that pivot joint near the neck that's
> required for transformation, but I don't recall a
> separate joint closer to the head that allows for
> head movement.

Kind of a missed opportunity without it.

Anyway, if you're longing for a more suitable Ravage to loiter your shelves, some of the Ebay bootlegs should suffice.
Yer-anus.

So far, based on the Devastators alone, I prefer MT's aesthetics. But if this ends up being the only game in town, I'll bite.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2012 11:49PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - 8271cf6egw1dubqmaxwm7j_1340713829.jpg (64.3 KB)
open | download - 8271cf6egw1dubqnzcsurj_1340713829.jpg (102 KB)
open | download - 8271cf6egw1dubqrgo0d3j_1340713829.jpg (85 KB)
open | download - 8271cf6egw1dubqt3dsr4j_1340713829.jpg (102.7 KB)
[www.tfw2005.com]

Wasn't crazy about the Springer and the generic Powermaster, but Broadside looks impressive. Jet mode looks like something out of Dangaioh. Flippin' cool!
thomas Wrote:
> Quoted for evidence of weirdness:
>
> TFcon 2012 features Canada's largest dealer room
> for Transformers merchandise, question and answer
> panels and autograph sessions with many special
> guests including Transformers Creator Bob
> Budiansky, Transformers voice actor Scott McNeil
> and Hasbro Canada with more to be announced.
>
> So Hasbro is against 3rd party products in the US
> at conventions, but Hasbro Canada has no issues
> with participating with a Canadian convention
> where the exclusive toy is such a 3rd party item?
>
> The fuck?

So I went to this thing on Sunday. I've never seen so many unlicensed toys in one place, ever. Chatting with one of the vendors here's the story I got: apparently Hasbro tried to pull the no-unlicensed-toys routine up here, too. The guys running the show passed that info on to the dealers...and the majority of them dropped out. Seeing most of their revenue disappear, TFCon blinked and dropped Hasbro instead.

From my perspective, this was awesome; almost every booth had something that was unlicensed and they even had the new Green Giant gift set. This was a huge change from previous shows that I'd been to where you'd be lucky to find energon cubes and repro labels.

I suppose the next volley in the battle will be law suits, so I guess we should enjoy the unlicensed renaissance while it lasts.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Thanks for the insight, Ed. Very interesting. I honestly thought the little 3rd party backlash from Hasbro at the last Botcon would more or less blow over and that nothing would *really* change (other than that certain boundaries would be respected). But hearing this from TFcon would suggest escalation...
So when the heck is a third-party company going to make one of these??
[tfwiki.net]

-Paul Segal

gingaio Wrote:
>
> The best modern iteration of a Ravage to date is the
> Device Label Ravage.

[www.hpirobot.jp]

-Paul Segal

B00
Got the Igear Ratchet and Ironhide yesterday. These guys are solid, a little fiddly with the transformation but they work well and look great.

If some third partyer (or, hell, even if Hasbro came out with something official like a Classics release) made a fancy, new-fangled version of the Horrorcons (the triple-changing Headmasters Apeface and Snapdragon), I'd buy the shit out of them.

Just saying.
What's stopping you, Sanjeev?

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
I wouldn't do nearly as good a job as Fansproject, TFC Toys, MakeToys, etc....

;)

(Oh, and I'm busy working on my own crap!)
Having owned the first batch of FP Not-Insecticons, I really REALLY like the recolors/remolds into the Deluxe Insecticons. I traded away the first ones. They were good figures - nicer transformation and all, but didn't really SEEM like proper updates of the G1 toys. They lacked some of the things that I felt were important to those figures - namely the clear yellow and chrome. These, however, really seem to hit the nail on the head, even going so far as to make the wings on Ransack transparent. Just wish they had a Venom coming out. Still, they seemed to have gotten the colors and feel right. Hopefully there's no more of this pretending they're ninjas crap this time.

More serious than thou

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2012 08:14AM by fujikuro.
Attachments:
open | download - 31_1347397203.jpg (127.3 KB)
Hrm, any pics of the robot modes on these guys? With enough modification, they might work, but I just don't see that FP Bombshell mold working as an homage to Barrage / Beet Gadol and his marvelously elegant transformation.

-Paul Segal

Been very little talk about the Hegemon figure around here. I took a flyer on this guy as I can't really afford either of the Not-Devastators (but needed more "Classics" Decepticons on the shelf). I am pleasantly surprised at the figure. Firstly, he's bigger than expected. Secondly, the plastic quality was a bit better than has been reported. That doesn't sound all that great, but really it's more than adequate, and the reported "swirly" effect to the silver-gray of the plastic isn't present on my toy.

Transformation is complex but not overly so. You can get this guy transformed in under 5 minutes once you understand how to do it. Posability is pretty nice overall, though on mine some of the arm joints are a bit loose, while the ratchet joints at shoulder, hip and knee are almost too tight. Everything pegs in pretty nicely, and there's very little looseness or connection oddities in either form. The size of the figure is right in line with Classics Optimus, though perhaps a half inch taller. That suits me fine as I always thought of Megatron as the slightly bigger of the two.

The included weapons are nice, especially the energy mace, which can change from either morningstar form (with the chain extended) or mace form (with the chain bundled inside the mace head). The sword is OK, but it's not lightsaber-like enough for my taste. All the transparent parts of the blade can be removed from the handle (all on 5 mm pegs), so one can tone the "flare" of the blade down a bit. The gun form add-ons are OK, and he does look cartoon-accurate for the most part with these added on. I'm not sure what they were going for with the stock, and why it has some of the pegs and posts it has. It cannot be made into the cannon that the G1 toy had, though just a small addition of a few plastic pieces would do the trick. Dr Wu perhaps?

The likeness to old G1 cartoon Megatron is almost spot on, and that's kind of the highlight of this toy. That and the transformation into a decent looking handgun. The grip isn't perfect, but the design choice here was to go for the look of the robot instead of the gun and I can't blame them for that. The thing is, they got the face right, and the head sculpt, and most of the body is done right as well. I can't say just how much I enjoy the look of this guy. I've seen pics with the Reprolabels set added, and he really shines then. I've ordered the set myself and will post some more pics when I have it placed on Hegemon.

A really neat thing they did with the arm cannon is that it can be removed from its transformation point and reattached on the TOP of the arm via some pegs there. It mimicks exactly the way the cannon fit on the G1 toy and the normal way Megatron was portrayed with his cannon ready to fire.

I have yet to see anyone discuss this in the various reviews I've watched or read. It's fairly obvious if you remove the cannon (just on a 5 mm peg as well) that there are slots underneath that match the pegs on top of the arms. The cannon can fit on either right or left arm as well.

Really, I think this toy hits all the marks I look for in a Classics-style figure. There were a few design compromises that had to made in the figure, but I'd say there were far fewer than with, say, Classics Optimus. It's a tad pricy, but at Voyager size, and given the various features, complexity, likeness, and the fact that it is a 3rd party toy, I'd give it a big thumbs up. This really is the definitive modern Megatron toy in my opinion.

More serious than thou

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2012 08:14AM by fujikuro.
Can an adult human finger fit into the trigger guard? It looks awfully tight in photos of the gun mode.

-Paul Segal

Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, I'd love to see how it looks in-hand (gun mode), Matt. Also, the face still looks a bit funny to me...but I think it's just because it seems to be missing the "eyebrows" from the cartoon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2012 04:58PM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - Megatron.jpg (22.3 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer