> FP's own targetmaster Sidearm's Hot Rod-sized
> handle works for Thundershred's hands. It's not
> great, but it works. Just wish they had found a
> way to make the hands a tad bigger to allow for
> standard sized pegs. I wonder if this is one of
> those things that will get "fixed" for future
> releases?
>
Damn--Hot Rod's fist hole is a bit smaller than that of the other Classics. You seen this one, Fuji?:

[www.shapeways.com]

It'd be perfect for the Not-Kickback. I just re-bought a stack of guns in white/black detail and picked up some cans of spray paint, per the Reverend's instructions. The silver paint should be perfect for this gun. Maybe sanding down the peg a bit will help with the fit.

BTW, Reverend, I woulda expected you to have been all over Shapeways with TF-inspired accessories by now. Wish I had the skill to do it myself; anyway, put shit up on there. We'll buy it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2011 09:55PM by gingaio.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Weeeeell...the thing of it is that I don't really need any TF accessories *myself*, so I like to focus on my more...ambitious...goals. There's just SO much cool stuff I have cooking that TF guns seem kinda not worth my time to me. I know it's likely a gold mine waiting to happen...but other heads are doing that shit. The Rev's got bigger fish to fry. But all that said, I'm down to hook up the brothas...

Aiight, so check it: speaking of Shapechooch, I got a fucking shipment tonight of a prototype I had them print in Objet VeroBlack (what they call, for whatever inexplicable reason, "Black Detail"). It completely sucks balls. It looks like it was carved out of a brick of black wax by Helen Keller. So, like Mike, I'ma have to fight them for my money back. Cunts.

Anyway, here's what YOU all need to know about ordering from Shapeways (and, Ben, you should chime in here too):
1) For structural parts like ball joints and whatnot, go with sintered polyamide (what they call "White Strong Flexible" or "Polished White Strong Flexible"). This shit's tough as nails, super light, and great for applications that require a durable plastic. The only problem is that it has a sandy/grainy texture and it doesn't take super-high detail very well.
2) For non-structural parts like guns or robot heads or other things that require maximum surface resolution, go with the hi-res 3D Systems polymer (ugh...what they fucking call "Frosted Ultra Detail"). This shit is still pretty tough and has the best resolution they offer...but it's still not appropriate for joints and such because this stuff is pretty rigid and will eventually abrade, rather than flex like polyamide.

In a pinch, you can substitute Objet VeroWhite ("White Detail") for their 3D Systems polymers. It's cheaper, but still pretty tough and high-res. But 3D Systems is the best. And don't ever fuck with their VeroBlack or VeroClear (uh..."Black Detail" and "Transparent Detail")...it's a coin-toss whether you'll get a shit part or something half decent.
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It completely sucks balls. It looks like it was
> carved out of a brick of black wax by Helen
> Keller. So, like Mike, I'ma have to fight them for
> my money back. Cunts.
>
The same goes for the white detail, Reverend. I'm starting to think you're going to get some degree of graininess whichever material you go with, though obviously this isn't as bad as with the strong flexible, which basically, uh, looks like flocking and is less detailed.

*edit* The frosted detail is probably good, but not sure it's worth the extra cost to me at this point. Plus I'm tired of reordering shit.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2011 11:17PM by gingaio.
gingaio Wrote:

> Damn--Hot Rod's fist hole is a bit smaller than
> that of the other Classics. You seen this one,
> Fuji?:
>
> [www.shapeways.com]
> gswing_gun.html?gid=mg
>
> It'd be perfect for the Not-Kickback. I just
> re-bought a stack of guns in white/black detail
> and picked up some cans of spray paint, per the
> Reverend's instructions. The silver paint should
> be perfect for this gun. Maybe sanding down the
> peg a bit will help with the fit.

I've not really looked around the site before. Do you have some kind of list of the good models for such things on Shapeways? Searching for "transformers" yields a ton of what looks like just crap, and to be honest I'm too lazy to go browsing through it all.

More serious than thou
I just start with "transformers gun." That'll give you about 4 pages. I then click on the producers' links (e.g., "Sunlink's Armory," etc.). That way, you're searching specifically the lists of the people who are making the TF guns, as opposed to the whole site.
Sanjeev (Admin)
gingaio Wrote:
> The same goes for the white detail, Reverend.

Well, my experience with VeroWhite has been pretty decent. The resolution obviously isn't perfect, but it's a lot better than sintered polyamide.

Meanwhile, I just don't know what the FUCK these guys are doing with their VeroBlack. I'm pretty familiar with Objet machines, and I'm confident they're just not running them right. Check this shit out:

It's like something mashed down on the middle of his chest. And where's his face??? Compare to the 3D model:

Awful. And the gel support material wasn't fully cleaned off, so it has a slimy/mushy texture to it. I'll be getting my money back.

I've never gotten this sort of results from VeroWhite.

> I'm
> starting to think you're going to get some degree
> of graininess whichever material you go with

This is true. Generally. Unless you're the Man, like me, and go with a REAL prototyper. Check out the EnvisionTEC prototype (the pink one!) here. That's what's up.

> Plus I'm tired of reordering shit.

You have no idea. I mean, you REALLY have no fucking idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2011 12:18PM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0087.JPG (284.4 KB)
open | download - IMG_0088.JPG (257.3 KB)
open | download - IMG_0089.JPG (125.4 KB)
Sanjeev Wrote:
> gingaio Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> It's like something mashed down on the middle of
> his chest. And where's his face??? Compare to the
> 3D model:
>
Yeah, the face looks off--no idea what the hell happened there. As to the chest deformation, a similar thing happened to the white detailed Null Rays I just received. Most of them were bent. A quick hot-water bath softened them up enough to fix the problem, but I'm assuming yours is a more complex issue. Maybe the hot water will return it to its intended shape somewhat, though?

As to the warping, the person from Shapeways said the package may have gotten hot during transit, and given how they packed all the weapons together, it does sound somewhat plausible, if not entirely believable.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Don't believe the hype. Are they refunding your money?
Don't know--they said they'll get back to me. Because I was able to fix the warping, I'm not that hot and bothered about it. You have more of a case here, though.
gingaio Wrote:
<snip>
And the Humvee is so well
> sculpted I don't even mind that it's not a Jeep.

G1 Swindle's alt mode is a XR311 ([en.wikipedia.org]) Both the cartoon and comics got this wrong. Only the Studio Ox version is right.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Weeeeell...the thing of it is that I don't really
> need any TF accessories *myself*, so I like to
> focus on my more...ambitious...goals. There's just
> SO much cool stuff I have cooking that TF guns
> seem kinda not worth my time to me. I know it's
> likely a gold mine waiting to happen...but other
> heads are doing that shit. The Rev's got bigger
> fish to fry. But all that said, I'm down to hook
> up the brothas...

So, I've been checking out the guns on Shapeways, and I'll be honest - I think many of them are pretty much crap. Lack of detail in many cases is my complaint. Is this an inherent problem with Shapeways or just lac k of creativity on the part of the designers?

I have no CAD ability at all, but since I'm knocking other people's work here, I figured I'd need to try to step up and come up with something of my own, or at least learn how hard it really is in the attempt, thus justifying some of the lackluster designs I've seen. Given this, Sanjeev, what software would you recommend for someone who's not done this before, but has some sense of how to sculpt stuff? I know that there was some Google 3D software out there at one time, and the advantage to that would be a lack of cost, which is a BIG plus for me. Any suggestions?

More serious than thou
That BSF Aurashine is totally bizarre... I got the 'Thugger' TF minifig off of Shapeways in multiple materials to compare, and my BSF version was fine. Grainy texture, which is to be expected, but the edges were still sharp and the geometry true. Compared to the Frosted Ultra Detail it was far superior because it's plenty durable for being a miniscule figure, whereas the FUD material is perfectly accurate to the on-screen render, but super brittle and not meant to be handled.

I still have a WSF polished one that came while I was at school to assemble... will see how that compares to the BSF. It's weird to me that your black one is so bad, when my experience indicated that the BSF was the one to go with for now. Especially for painting, since then there would be black under anything you missed, as opposed to white. There's white material under the black surface anyway, so isn't the BSF just the WSF dyed?

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, the first problem is that you're getting confused by Shapeways' stupid fucking marketing terms. Your "BSF" (sintered black polyamide) is NOT "Black Detail" (Objet VeroBlack polymer). Polyamide--in whatever color--is very mechanically reliable shit...it's just that the detail reliably sucks. I got word back from Shapeways: they're refunding my money. I still don't know what the deal is, but it's clear that they've got some issues with VeroBlack: the support material for it is this slimy, waxy shit that is theoretically supposed to dissolve off in some post-processing bath. Well...I guess something's going on during that process that's screwing the pooch. Oh, incidentally, VeroClear (uh..."Transparent Detail") has the same problem...so avoid that too.

Matt, I don't browse Shapeways at all but I'm not surprised that many of the submissions suck. It's the designers, not Shapeways, incidentally: Shapeways just prints shit on demand for people. Anyway, I think it's probably more that people suck at CAD than any real lack of creativity. The shit's not exactly easy.

As for me making a recommendation, that's tough. For the past ten years or so since I've been in this industry, I've had access to Pro/E (now called "Creo Parametric"...don't ask...more marketing idiocy). It's what I designed Gin Gin and everything else in...so sure, I'd recommend it. Of course, it costs about $50,000 or so a seat.

There are definitely cheaper alternatives out there...but fucked if I know what they are. A lot of 3D artists use polygon modelers to do this stuff, while the program I use is NURBS based. I just found this video that details what the difference between those two things are. If you've been following mikenozon's CAD adventures on the vintage board, he actually does polygon modeling. And he's clearly nasty with it. Polygons tend to be great for more organic (complex curvature) shapes, while NURBS are super-precise for mechanisms and whatnot.

Do some digging...ya never know what you'll find.
mcfitch (Admin)
I just ordered Thundershred and am really looking forward to getting it. Also looking forward to taking it to meetings at work and see if people can figure out what it is.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt &quot;I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!&quot;
mcfitch Wrote:
> I just ordered Thundershred and am really looking
> forward to getting it. Also looking forward to
> taking it to meetings at work and see if people
> can figure out what it is.
> -Mason

Good choice, man.

BTW, I am trying my hand at making a Shrapnel gun via Shapeways, using Google's Sketchup tool. Their models can be exported as a DAE file, which Shapeways will take. I've been fucking around with this for a couple hours and here's the progress so far:

The first is straight out of Sketchup and the second is via Shapeways' 3D view of the item. I THINK that the peg that will work with Thundershred is a 4 mm peg. So, that's what I have on this model so far. If anyone has specific measurements, please let me know if they are different.

Now, I realize that the proportions on this aren't perfect or anything. I need a fair amount more practice with it. Still, for a beginning attempt it doesn't seem too bad to me. Hopefully I can finish it up over the weekend and then try getting it printed off as a test.

More serious than thou

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2011 04:23PM by fujikuro.
Attachments:
open | download - TestShrapnelGun.JPG (17.5 KB)
open | download - TestShrapnelGun2.JPG (22.4 KB)
[www.tfw2005.com]

I think if this had come out in the Action Masters era, it would have been a nice fit, but now, it feels out of place compared to the rest of the stuff being produced.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Nice job on that Shrapnel gun, Matt! For a first effort, it's pretty impressive! Of course, I'm not sure how such a narrow design will look printed...

Alpha Trion looks...less than impressive. And I dunno if colors halp not-Sixshot. Meh.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Nice job on that Shrapnel gun, Matt! For a first
> effort, it's pretty impressive! Of course, I'm not
> sure how such a narrow design will look
> printed...

Thank you! Yeah, I may have to rebuild it from the ground up. It's really easy to lose what the actual scale is on something like this. At this size, I think it's a small pistol. I need to redo it and make it a tad larger.

BTW, this is where I had gotten to as of last night:

>
> Alpha Trion looks...less than impressive. And I
> dunno if colors halp not-Sixshot. Meh.

Unfortunagtely Impossible Toys stuff looks impossible to like. Does it strike anyone else as if what they mainly design are Pretender shells?

More serious than thou

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2011 08:44PM by fujikuro.
Attachments:
open | download - shrapnelgun2.JPG (53.1 KB)
Fuji--

Is it possible to add a back end to the gun, a la the vintage version? Or is that really hard to do? I've noticed a lot of Shapeways guns that are similarly homages to G1 rifles but with the back end chopped off. Never understood why.

Anyway, what's there looks good. Nice job!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Also, how do you know it's too small? Does this Google thing not allow you to design with explicit dimensions? Still looking good...
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Also, how do you know it's too small? Does this
> Google thing not allow you to design with explicit
> dimensions? Still looking good...

Well, if you do a compare with the size of the peg/handle, it's a tiny gun. The Google thing does allow you to see dimensions with no trouble, and I've been measuring everything in mm, since that's what the standard Transformers peg is measured in. I need to get an overall length - I'd guess at maybe one inch?

As for the back end of the gun, I'd like to, but at the size that it is vertically, I'm unsure if I can get one back there that won't interfere with the movement of the lower arm in respect to the elbow joint.

Another reason why I want to enhance the size a bit is that I would like to add a rectangular peg that will allow the gun to "ride" on Thundershred's back in beetle mode. There's an obvious connection point on the back of the robot's hips that sits right in the middle of the beetle's back.

The biggest problem here is that I'm really just winging this. I REALLY need to measure Thundershred for arm dimensions. I would like to have an approximation of the tabs that kept the gun on the G1 figure's arms as well, but can't do that without the measurements. Just me being lazy is all.

More serious than thou
Standard TF pegs are also 5mm, not 4. Your basic design does look good, and I think would look awesome with a nod to the way the old gun clipped around the arm.

[prometheusrising.net]
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> Standard TF pegs are also 5mm, not 4.

Right, but dude already said that the Insectibum's fist hole is the same size as Classics Rodimus's, which is about 4 mm. But yeah, most pegs should be 5mm otherwise.

Anyway, the Kickback gun I linked to in one of the earlier posts is a really nice example of using a peg with the faux clips on either side. There's one for United Tracks that works the same way.
Sanjeev Wrote:
<snip>
> Matt, I don't browse Shapeways at all but I'm not
> surprised that many of the submissions suck. It's
> the designers, not Shapeways, incidentally:
> Shapeways just prints shit on demand for people.
> Anyway, I think it's probably more that people
> suck at CAD than any real lack of creativity. The
> shit's not exactly easy.
>
> As for me making a recommendation, that's tough.
> For the past ten years or so since I've been in
> this industry, I've had access to Pro/E (now
> called "Creo Parametric"...don't ask...more
> marketing idiocy). It's what I designed Gin Gin
> and everything else in...so sure, I'd recommend
> it. Of course, it costs about $50,000 or so a
> seat.
>
> There are definitely cheaper alternatives out
> there...but fucked if I know what they are. A lot
> of 3D artists use polygon modelers to do this
> stuff, while the program I use is NURBS based. I
> just found this video that details what the
> difference between those two things are. If you've
> been following mikenozon's CAD adventures on the
> vintage board, he actually does polygon modeling.
> And he's clearly nasty with it. Polygons tend to
> be great for more organic (complex curvature)
> shapes, while NURBS are super-precise for
> mechanisms and whatnot.
>
> Do some digging...ya never know what you'll find.

From what I've seen, an error a lot of amateur designers make is to concentrate on shape, not function. They basically use a CAD program like Photoshop, and just draw up things to look like they want, without checking whether they actually work like they should.

My other hobby is RC cars. I've seen loads and loads of very nice renders by amateurs, which all suffer from the same problems:
- parts don't really line up,
- there's gaps in weird places,
- parts are designed in a disjointed order, e.g. "chassis, outer axle carrier, steering link", instead of concentrating on one particular assembly at the time and checking whether it would work in practice.
If (and that's a big "If") they then produce the actual parts, which often look like what I could make using some paper and a pencil...and a hacksaw.
Another error people make is choosing software that is purely meant for rendering images to design mechanical parts with.

Now personally, I grabbed a cheap 2.5D CAD program we bought way back in the 90s that actually has the proper accuracy and the capability to print out items 1:1 on paper (current version available at [www.vectorcam.com]...but it won't cost the 50 bucks we paid for v1.0 back then...), and coupled that to a separate rendering program (Rhinoceros3D [www.rhino3d.com]) that my dad found discarded at his work...I'm just lacking the material textures that professionals use. :)

fujikuro Wrote:
<snip>
> The first is straight out of Sketchup and the
> second is via Shapeways' 3D view of the item. I
> THINK that the peg that will work with
> Thundershred is a 4 mm peg. So, that's what I
> have on this model so far. If anyone has specific
> measurements, please let me know if they are
> different.

Do yourself a pleasure, and buy some good-quality digital calipers. This kind of measurements are really easy to do with them.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
gingaio Wrote:
> Prometheum5 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Standard TF pegs are also 5mm, not 4.
>
> Right, but dude already said that the Insectibum's
> fist hole is the same size as Classics Rodimus's,
> which is about 4 mm. But yeah, most pegs should be
> 5mm otherwise.
>
> Anyway, the Kickback gun I linked to in one of the
> earlier posts is a really nice example of using a
> peg with the faux clips on either side. There's
> one for United Tracks that works the same way.

My bad. That's kinda dumb, though.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
thomas Wrote:
> Do yourself a pleasure, and buy some good-quality
> digital calipers. This kind of measurements are
> really easy to do with them.

Calipers are definitely your friend. They're kinda pricey, though, and if you're only fucking around with this stuff, it may not be entirely worth it. I got an old busted up analog set years and years ago on the cheap offa eBay...still works like a damn charm and I wouldn't DREAM of taking on a CAD project without 'em.

Your best bet is to draw on paper simple "mechanicals" (orthogonal plane views) to scale with the actual toy...then dimension from that.
fujikuro Wrote:
> As for the back end of the gun, I'd like to, but
> at the size that it is vertically, I'm unsure if I
> can get one back there that won't interfere with
> the movement of the lower arm in respect to the
> elbow joint.
>
I'm sure you've already considered this, but you could just measure the forearm and use that to figure the length from the peg to the back of the gun.

That's kind of what I did when I fed the measurements to the guy who designed the Device Label Blaster rifle.

> The biggest problem here is that I'm really just
> winging this. I REALLY need to measure
> Thundershred for arm dimensions.

Yup.
OK, added a bit more detail, strengthened up the struts that run along the barrel of the gun, added a con kind of shape to the butt end, and set things up properly with regards to scale and so on. I THINK it's about 2.5 inches long, which is pretty large.

The bitch of it is, and I didn't know this, Shapeways has a minimum $25 order. Blech. I don't want to order 5 of these, nor do I really want anything from anyone else. I'll have to keep making other designs until I have enough for such an order. I really wanted some initial validation to see how I was doing without having to shell out $25. Geez.

More serious than thou
Attachments:
open | download - test gun.png (42.8 KB)
Got mine today. As servbot30 says:

servbot30 Wrote:
> Materials - Incredibly stout stuff.
>
> Articulation - Loads of articulation.
>
> Transformation - Also very tight. Everything stays
> where it should. Though simple, it does the job.

So far, dead on. Mine has a slight problem where the left hip ball joint isn't nearly as tight as it should be. A little clear nail polish will fix that right up.

> Robot Design - Very modern G1 with a dash of Galaxy Force

Even down to having a minicon peg on the crane arm.

> Big ass robot arm mode - Very big. Very cool.

And really easy to transform to from the vehicle mode.

> Vehicle Mode - Pretty lame. It serves the purpose
> of being a back-hoe but its not much more than a
> block with a shovel.

I thought it was a bit better than that, but I do wish that they had done something else with the very front end. I would have liked to have had the entire top of the vehicle be able to swivel in respect to the treads and undercarriage, but that would have made for an unnecessarily complex toy (and likely a lot more expensive).

>
> Shovel - the base of the arm is so tight I
> don't want to risk breaking it trying to move it.

They announced that the next toy in the line would be coming with a replacement shovel, since so many people are having trouble with it. Mine is fine. Tight, but not unmovable. I'm also very careful about how I transform my toys, and I'm not ham-handed at all, so these sort of problems tend not to happen to me.

>
> Floaty vehicle cab

Yeah, kinda lame. Dunno why they didn't just leave it as a part of the arm and have it flip down to cover the underside of the hand. They could have had flip-down pieces on either arm to do the above.

> Price -

Yup, still the biggest problem with the toy. It's nice, but not $100 nice. Still maybe more like $60 nice.

> Though after getting all of
> them, it might be worth the investment.

We'll see. I'll have to wait and see how the Maketoys one comes out and what the pricing is on it.

>
> If you buy it because you like what you see, then you'll be happy with what you > receive.

This is about as perfect of a comment as you can find. Absolutely positively correct.

I like what I got, though not for the price. I don't have much in the way of buyer's remorse, however, because what I got is a nice solid toy. It's definitely a real toy, though the price would make one very hesitant to let a child play with it.

The entire figure when complete is going to be highly impressive. The arm is huge (about 9 inches long when fingers are extended), and if the body is at all proportionate, then we ought to be talking about a 17" or so figure. Hopefully all the leg, hip, waist and so on connectors are nice and solid. The plastic is very strong, but also not real heavy. So, I don't think we're going to see a lot of problems with the toy sagging or falling apart. Dunno, but it seems like a solid buy so far.

Let's put it this way - if you were going to lay down $96 shipped for this (as I paid), or $75 shipped for the Perfect Effect Frumble two-pack, I'd put my money on this guy.

More serious than thou
Oh, I should also give props to Robotkingdom for the speedy shipment. I chose their cheapest method and it still got to me in Cleveland OH in about a week. Not bad at all!

More serious than thou
Eh, still not perfectly happy with what I'm getting out of Sketchup. Apparently trueSpace 7.61 is FREE, so I'm giving that a try now. Maybe I can import the model and fix it from there.

More serious than thou
B00
Just got my Not-Thrust and Dirge today. Gonna play with these guys some and see how they are. I hope they live up to the expectations set by Not-Ramjet.

OK, they both rock pretty hard. damn glad I got these guys. I can't wait for sun storm.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2011 03:22AM by B00.
I'm still waiting for my Ramjet to arrive in the mail, but from what I hear these are pretty good so I guess I'm getting the other two too.
B00
I love these guys more than the real Hasbro/tomy figures.

--------------------------
I want YOU for Moé Sucks Army

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2011 09:39AM by Scopedog.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG01968-20110823-2316.JPG (244.4 KB)
open | download - IMG01969-20110823-2316.JPG (259.2 KB)
Thrust is supposed to have yellow eyes

way to screw up again iGear
B00
Outa curiosity, can trust still transform?

> Outa curiosity, can trust still transform?

Yes, but you have to put the wings back in the housing. Also, the plane mode now has two black pegs sticking out of the top, but I didn't buy this for the plane mode so it doesn't bother me.

--------------------------
I want YOU for Moé Sucks Army
I kinda liked the newer update where Thrust has the wings on his back instead of his legs. I always thought having the wings made the conehead seekers look too bottom heavy so I'm down with the newer (ie: new classics design) but at keeping it absolutely G1... Good work!

I just did the leg mod on my Masterpiece Starscream and Skywarp even doing the inside adjusting screw...pretty trick. (Did this mod come from these IGEAR seekers first or was someone out there just that balsy?

Also speaking of yellow eyes? I thought all the Decepticons were suppose to have Red eyes? But I noticed that my Skywarp has yellow eyes, is that correct?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer