[CUSTOM] not-Hasbro

Posted by RedAleseides 
Beats me, is it because they are modifying the original design?
fujikuro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Two of the three G1 Insecticons were pretty squat
> overall.

I don't know about that. They have bug appendages that make them appear wider, but if you look at just the bodies, they're actually pretty well proportioned:

[www.flickr.com]

> It's not like the
> Insecticons were Beast Wars toys. They WERE
> mechanical insects and all...

Sure, but there's a difference between mechanical and MECH!!. Like with Defender, was it really necessary to line the arms and legs up and down with shotgun shells?

FP's stuff is nifty for what it is, but it's kind of like when we were debating the second Predaking reissue. I thought that the subdued colors were a nice modern accompaniment to the toy and you thought that it lacked the vintage authenticity of the bright yellow/orange. It's pretty much the same thing here, but we're talking about the actual design as opposed to colors. I look at MP Grimlock, and I think, Hey, a 1985 Grimlock crafted with modern toy knowledge. I look at Defender or Ninja Bug Bot and I think, Hey, this is a toy that has a couple of visual references to Springer/an Insecticon, but is otherwise its own unique thing. Just not close enough for some of us, I guess.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2011 03:26PM by gingaio.
I can see that, but like I said, I think they fit directly in where they're supposed to. TF Classics aren't quite the same beast as MOTU Classics, where the entire design aesthetic is supposed to be the same, just with modern toy-making techniques. MP Grimlock seems more like the MOTUC way of doing things - it's just an larger version of the G1 toy made with modern techniques. The TF Classics stuff has a greater level of "reinvention" involved with the characters, so these fit IMO.

I know what you're getting at with the Predaking, but these are really apples and oranges comparisons. Predaking, whether a reissue or not, is actually a G1 toy. Not a modern interpretation of that character. If someone did one of those, then I'd probably have been more than satisfied with a slightly updated color scheme. As it's an original mold and all, I want the original colors. So, no cognitive dissonance here. ;)

More serious than thou
fujikuro Wrote:
> I know what you're getting at with the Predaking,
> but these are really apples and oranges
> comparisons.

Yeah, I get that. What I was trying to get at was just that your preference for keeping the vintage 100% faithful is kind of like what I wanted with these Classics/3rd party figs, that they be more faithful as well. But they are what they are.

What Chen said about these looking like Dreamwave designs is spot-on. FP is taking its design cues from those comic books, for better or for worse, and it's not a coincidence that Don Figueroa was (briefly?) involved with TF designs for Hasbro.

Can't say I'm crazy about the Classics look. When the toys first came out, I really liked them, but that's mostly because we were starved for G1 homage toys.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2011 03:55PM by gingaio.
Sanjeev (Admin)
The weird irony for me is that I've always loved the Classics/FP aesthetic...on paper. In reality, though, I've sold all of my toys that fit into this category except for the conehead seekers (and who knows how long they'll last).

They're absolutely fantastic for what they are, and I think Fansproject has really nailed their design intent with their offerings...but I guess I'm just looking for something else.

Again, like Chieh said, if someone someday makes toys that look like that dope artwork, I'd lose my shit!
Show accuracy, or Showiness, means quite a bit to me these days.

The Serious One’s post on Reflector prompted me to give Perfect Effect a second look. Saw Reflector in person, and though it seems like an awesome toy, I have zero love for the characters.

Frumble I have a mad crush on, though like all human twins I’ve ever known, I could never tell one from the other.

I like Frumble because in the cartoon he was gangsta-gangsta.

Unfortunately, Frumble is ludicrously small, but I knew that going in. It’s 2.5 inches (~ $14 per inch of plastic), which means that it’s pretty much out of scale with most toys out there, unless in your imaginary world, Frumble serves as a Jumbo Machinder for your GI Joes to steal and hoard.

So why is Frumble aweso...I mean a pretty good compromise given what we'll never get from HasTak? Because Autobots were human-loving hippies who spent all day listening to NPR while Frumble and the other Frumble shredded the earth with fresh fault lines. Frumble knows how to beat down hippie earth-lovers.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2011 12:32PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - 1.jpg (91.1 KB)
open | download - 2.jpg (84.6 KB)
open | download - 3.jpg (68.8 KB)
open | download - 4.jpg (111.7 KB)
Can Frumble be bigger? Yes. Would it have killed Perfect Effect to add a couple of inches? Fuck no. Is he pretty much the same quality of toy as that you’d find in a cereal box? Yes. Does it suck that Frumble doesn’t turn into a tape and does that mean his Showiness is compromised? Yes.

But is this the most Showy Frumble we’ll ever get, given HasTak’s penchant for turning out abominable pieces of turd they like to call Frumble ( [tinyurl.com] or [tinyurl.com] or, most egregious of all, [tinyurl.com] )? Uh-huh.

Look, this Frumble is closer than anything else to the Frumble I’ve wanted ever since I was a kid. He turns into a stoopid gun, but at least he doesn’t turn into a stoopid tank or a stoopid car

And one more time, Frumble is more gangsta-gangsta than you.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2011 12:36PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - 5.jpg (92.6 KB)
open | download - 6.jpg (109.7 KB)
Damn you, Gingy. You've sold me on these. And they're sold-out in the usual places. Where can one find them?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Wait--these guys are SHORTER than the original G1 toys!? And...they turn into...guns?? Meh... I feel tape or nothing.

They don't look bad, but for the price and flaws, I'd rather just get a reissue set of the originals. By the way, has any company ever made alternate pile-driver hands for the originals?? That could be hot...

But you're right: these look a TON better than the "United" ones...and don't mention the Alternator... Yeesh.

gingaio Wrote:
> Frumble is more gangsta-gangsta
> than you.

It's the Brooklyn accent, isn't it?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Wait--these guys are SHORTER than the original G1
> toys!? And...they turn into...guns?? Meh... I feel
> tape or nothing.
>
> They don't look bad, but for the price and flaws,
> I'd rather just get a reissue set of the
> originals. By the way, has any company ever made
> alternate pile-driver hands for the originals??
> That could be hot...
>
> But you're right: these look a TON better than the
> "United" ones...and don't mention the
> Alternator... Yeesh.
>
>
> gingaio Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Frumble is more gangsta-gangsta
> > than you.
>
> It's the Brooklyn accent, isn't it?

Edit: so is that Tomax or Xamot?
Sanjeev Wrote:
> They don't look bad, but for the price and flaws,
> I'd rather just get a reissue set of the
> originals. By the way, has any company ever made
> alternate pile-driver hands for the originals??

Indeed, they have.
Gcrush Wrote:
> Damn you, Gingy. You've sold me on these. And
> they're sold-out in the usual places. Where can
> one find them?

I picked mine up from the local weekly freak gathering (Frank & Son's) for $69 (yes, he gave me a dollar back), which I think is the going rate. He had one set left, but one of the boxes was pretty badly smashed (if you're interested, I can go back next week and check.) You can still find it for around that on the 'Bay right now. Well, one seller currently has the set for a decent price.

>Wait--these guys are SHORTER than the original G1 toys!? And...they turn
>into...guns?? Meh... I feel tape or nothing.

Believe me, I agree in spirit. It's just that I didn't want to go with nothing this time. The size does irk, but they're pretty fun hand-crack, or finger-crack, and two of my favorite characters from Gee-Wun.

>Edit: so is that Tomax or Xamot?

I always thought it was the rejected third brother, Tampax.

edit: Found a pic of another TF holding Frumble, so despite the unfortunate alt modes, at least the interactive spirit of the original is still there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2011 04:34PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - Soundwave.jpg (56.3 KB)
Here's a idea of just how many Seekers iGear is planning on releasing. Three of the PP numbers are the Coneheads and we've seen two versions of the regular Seekers so that leaves four more variations to go. Also the first Conehead is up for sale (Ramjet), price is $151 but with free shipping.

[shop.igeartoys.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2011 05:50PM by chen.
Attachments:
open | download - 241229_204416799600313_100000959844909_536018_8197875_o.jpg (91 KB)
Not too bad of a price since its the same size as the MP Seekers
gingaio Wrote:
> Look, this Frumble is closer than anything else to
> the Frumble I’ve wanted ever since I was a kid. He
> turns into a stoopid gun, but at least he doesn’t
> turn into a stoopid tank or a stoopid car

Rumpled Foreskin just arrived. It's such a mixed bag. The price-per-inch is definitely Masterpiece level. And the little blue guy looks really good - they even nailed the ugly cop smirk and 1980s Oakley's just right. But some of the design is goofy and the fit-n-finish is weak. I don't mind the gunformation, but the pile-drivers could have been a little more iconic in execution. Like these guys:

Also, the paint apps are wonky on half of my sample and there's ugly flashing all around the edges. With a little clean up it will turn out okay, but for the price that's a big letdown. I may end up parting with the red dood because he's a little boring looking. But, overall, Gingy is right. These are the best there is at the moment.
So...any color pics of the Insecticons yet?
B00
Oh my! I need these. Link

"Till all are FUN!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2011 03:18AM by B00.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Those are definitely groovy. Love the face sculpts! To make them *perfect*, though, I'd love to see room for a Diaclone driver in 'em. I know...I'm getting greedy!

Are these completely original designs or are these bootlegs of some existing Classics toy or something?
Those are fantastic looking. All new sculpts, that really match the cartoon characters for the first time. I agree that Diaclone seats would be an awesome Easter Eggg, but unlikely.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Are these completely original designs or are these
> bootlegs of some existing Classics toy or
> something?

From some early close-up pics of the shoulders, people were matching it to the Classics Grapple/Inferno shoulders. The shoulders don't look different now. My guess is they booted at least some part of the existing classics Inferno/Grapple mold.

That said, my first Transformer ever was Ironhide, and even then, I was like, This is not SHOWY!

What a great idea.
So what kind of two word power phrase names are these guys gonna get?

I'm thinking Van Team Medic and Warrior.
mcfitch (Admin)
As a kid I avoided these two like the plague. They're minivans ferchrissakes. Who wants to play with a minivan?
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Maybe your childhood toy fantasies didn't involve domestic transforming robots that shuttled families out to bonding picnics, and if so, I feels sorry for you, but whatev. Haters gotta hate.

More pics of IPI-05 (Intellectual Property Infringer-05) in prototype gray. Looking AWESOME.

[igear.5d6d.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2011 04:42PM by gingaio.
B00
DAMN Thats a lot of guns!

Yeah, when I was a kid, I had no interest in this pair...but I dug the characters in the cartoon. I think a few years ago, some company released cartoon-accurate heads to plug into the upper chest of the original toys...a decent try, I guess...
Kiiiinda liking that Ratchet there. I never cared for the cartoon character, but I really liked Ratchet in the comics. Breaking his blood pact with Megatron by resurrecting the Dinobots to gang up on him, hallucinating about zombie robots, get melted into a horrible Megatron-Ratchet combination creature that begged for death... ah, the good ol' days.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
I'm just dreading the price on these. They are must buys, but may be not-able-to-buys unfortunately.

More serious than thou
Seems like some people have received their Ramjets and are happy to say it's a real quality piece with METAL. Well this makes up my mind I'm gonna get one.
Now these guys are just cute, iGear is releasing their own Mini-bots.
Attachments:
open | download - mm5.jpg (90.2 KB)
open | download - mm6.jpg (91.4 KB)
open | download - mm3.jpg (43.1 KB)
open | download - mm2.jpg (56.8 KB)
More pics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2011 12:09PM by chen.
Attachments:
open | download - 249847_206974509344542_100000959844909_552452_7008306_n.jpg (63.5 KB)
open | download - mm1.jpg (60.8 KB)
open | download - mm.jpg (83.2 KB)
B00
Huffer!

Production

Painted Proto

The gold plastic wings worry me, they will probly suffer from Gold plastic syndrome.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2011 05:09PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - new-3rd-party-tf-020_1307220963.jpg (169.8 KB)
open | download - reduced-galery_image_2568_6485.jpg (79.7 KB)
[www.tfw2005.com]

they're also making Powerglide and some kind of upgrade set with trailer to upgrade classics G2 Prime
B00
So much 3rd party awesome on the way.

So there's 2 third party seaspry figures, one from i-gear and one from Fansproject

But I couldn't agree more about Dirge, B00. I forget who I was telling the other day, but Dirge was always my favorite seeker (love that shade of blue)...and he was gonna be the one MP seeker boot I was gonna pick up. Looks like they totally pooched the color, though. Hopefully that's just another prototype and the final toy is more like the earlier pic...

Isn't it funny that these companies are actually AT Botcon, showing off their toys??? :P

Oh...and just as I kinda though: I've lost most of my interest in FansProject's Insecticons. Again, if they'd made some of the yellow parts translucent amber and the grey parts and weapons chrome...they might have sold me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2011 07:01PM by Sanjeev.
B00
TFSource is the one showing off all the new 3rd party stuff. A few friends at Botcon said that Hasbro was "being cool about it, for now".

But damn the mini-bots look great, I'm sold on the i-gear Huffer, Fansproject Seaspray and Powerglide.What I really want is a new figure of Tailgate. Lets hope the mini-bots thing keeps going.

Anyway, someone make a new Gears! He was my very first Transformer...loved the shit outta that lil dude!
mcfitch (Admin)
Teh Jerk
Oh...and just as I kinda though: I've lost most of my interest in FansProject's Insecticons. Again, if they'd made some of the yellow parts translucent amber and the grey parts and weapons chrome...they might have sold me.

From what little I've seen of FP they tend to get the most out of the molds and release multiple versions from the same mold. Email them and request it. I for one am loving those. And yes, I do plan to buy them and display them on my desk at work alongside the 2 G1 Insecticons I have. The TF fans at Hasbro know about, and love, these 3rd party companies but I have to say...iGear is well over the limit for asking for legal action.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Damn...ALL those iGear mini spies are looking dope
> to me. The Powerglide is especially scrumptious.
>
> But I couldn't agree more about Dirge, B00. I
> forget who I was telling the other day, but Dirge
> was always my favorite seeker (love that shade of
> blue)...and he was gonna be the one MP seeker boot
> I was gonna pick up. Looks like they totally
> pooched the color, though. Hopefully that's just
> another prototype and the final toy is more like
> the earlier pic...
>
> Isn't it funny that these companies are actually
> AT Botcon, showing off their toys??? :P
>
> Oh...and just as I kinda though: I've lost most of
> my interest in FansProject's Insecticons. Again,
> if they'd made some of the yellow parts
> translucent amber and the grey parts and weapons
> chrome...they might have sold me.

They weren't chrome or transparent in the cartoon!

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Had a job function/dinner in LA today, which is a drag, but it did give me an excuse to swing by Botcon in the morning.

Some things of note:

--seeing Fansproject's Insecticons in fully colored form was surprising. Have to say, Sanjeev, seeing them live kinda made me want to change my mind about them. Well, kinda.

--the Powerglide/Seaspray minibots are an absolute must-get. Totally Showy. According to the Fansproject rep I spoke with, those Showy minibots are basically Fansproject products that are going to be distributed by another company named Make (sp?) Toys. When I asked the FP rep if there was any possibility of making Showy product, he mentioned this fact about the minibots, and also the fact that FP has deliberated avoided selling under its own brand Showy products to avoid getting into trouble (even though, apparently, a lot of people know that FP is behind the minibots).

The Seaspray/Powerglide are currently intended to be sold as a set for about $40, according to FP rep. Should be out soon. Unless I heard him wrong.

--FP also has some weird-looking proto of its take on a Powermaster called a Heartmaster. The robot looks kind of meh.

--The rep from Robot-Kingdom, which is helping to distribute the not-Devastator, mentioned that the project was almost canceled by the company, which thought it was too big of a financial gamble. Preorders for the first not-Constructicon should be ready very shortly, with subsequent pieces to follow every couple of months.

--iGear's Ramjet looks damn impressive. Much as I hate the coneheads on the whole, Ramjet was always the one I thought was sort of okay.

--iGear's Seaspray does not compare to Fansproject's, at least aesthetically. This is why I wish FP would go Showy more often.

--TF Source had a handwritten sign at their table that read, "All types of credit cards welcome," which, given the situation with them and their customers' credit cards, is kind of funny.

--Hasbro's MP Hot Rod has an MSRP of $49.99, and the toy-homage colors look good. The Targetmaster also looks really, really good. I am tempted, against my better judgement.

--Against my better judgement, I threw down for a United Jazz, but when I opened it, all regrets were gone. Not a freaking Porsche, and no shoulder launcher, but one of the funnest and (in robot mode, at least) Showiest TFs I've handled in a while. Just a badass sculpt...well, at least the robot mode.

I'm hating these qualifiers. FP, go SHOWY!

--Wow. I'm tired.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2011 12:33AM by gingaio.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer